PDA

View Full Version : Thai Spiderman saves kid

RationalGoblin
2009-03-25, 10:07 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7961208.stm

An unusual disguise has helped a Bangkok fireman rescue an eight-year-old boy who had climbed on to a third-floor window ledge, Thai police say.

The firefighter dressed up as the comic book superhero Spider-Man in order to coax the boy, who is autistic, from his dangerous perch.

Police said teachers had alerted the fire station after the boy began crying and climbed out of a classroom window.

It was reportedly his first day at the special needs school.

Efforts by the teachers to persuade the pupil to come back inside had failed.

But a remark by his mother about his passion for comic superheroes prompted fireman Somchai Yoosabai to rush back to the station, where he kept a Spider-Man costume in his locker.

The sight of Mr Somchai dressed as Spider-Man and holding a glass of juice for him, brought a big smile to the boy's face, and he promptly threw himself into the arms of his "superhero", police said.

Mr Somchai normally uses the costume to liven up fire drills in schools.

Okay, I know that linking news articles is generally unusual, but I found this, and it was so heartwarming that I had to share it.

Also, I believe it was a short enough article that I could quote the entire thing.

In any case, I'm putting this up to brighten everyone's day.

Fawkes
2009-03-25, 10:10 AM
Everybody gets one. :smallsmile:

Ascension
2009-03-25, 10:22 AM
I'm glad they included that last line. I was really wondering how he just so happened to have a Spidey costume in his locker (without, you know, actually being Spider-Man).

Either way, this is awesome. :smallbiggrin:

onasuma
2009-03-25, 10:58 AM
Daddy, when I grow up, I want to be spiderman.

Dont be silly Jimmy, spider man isnt real.

But dad! What about that man?

Dammit sir, you're putting unatural ideas into my sons head

Anyhow, I liked it, brightened up my day.

RationalGoblin
2009-03-25, 11:03 AM
I'm glad they included that last line. I was really wondering how he just so happened to have a Spidey costume in his locker (without, you know, actually being Spider-Man).

True, but what I'm personally wondering is what did the kid think when he saw Spiderman bringing him juice?

DraPrime
2009-03-25, 11:22 AM
Wait, why did the guy have a spiderman costume ready in his locker?

UserClone
2009-03-25, 11:25 AM
Read the last sentence of the article, mang.

DraPrime
2009-03-25, 11:28 AM
Read the last sentence of the article, mang.

Woops, guess I need to learn how to read.

Egiam
2009-03-25, 11:29 AM
Read the last line.

anyway :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Oh no! :smallfrown: Munkee was ninjaed.

Fri
2009-03-25, 11:30 AM

Actually, it would be a lot cooler if they didn't include the last line, for the exact same reason.

At first I was just.. wait what!? Why do he have a spiderman costume in his locker?

Lord Blace
2009-03-25, 11:31 AM
Very, very cool. I smiled quite a bit, Spider-Man used to be my favorite super hero. :smallsmile:

Dihan
2009-03-25, 12:15 PM
I read this a few days ago and my first thought was:

"At least it wasn't Dr Manhattan."

Saint Nil
2009-03-25, 05:15 PM
That guy is my hero.:smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2009-03-25, 05:33 PM
"At least it wasn't Dr Manhattan."

Spider-Man's cooler anyway.

Somehow felt happy reading this, by the way.

Llama231
2009-03-25, 06:30 PM
Yay! ^.^

Happy news!:smallbiggrin:

Mr. Moon
2009-03-25, 07:19 PM
Hee-hee.
The picture on that article really made my day.
Just so cute.
^^

Sneak
2009-03-25, 07:26 PM
Pssshhh. "Mr. Somchai normally uses the costume to liven up fire drills in schools?"

Yeah right.

More like he uses it to fight crime!

Seriously though, I do think that that explanation is a bit weird. "Oh, I wanted to make fire drills more interesting for the children involved, so I decided to take the next logical step and dress up as Spiderman."

Wait, WHAT!?

Still, amusing, awesome, and heartwarming article.

I guess there are still heroes out there.

Waiting.

With juice.

Lupy
2009-03-25, 07:28 PM
That was great. :smallsmile: Made my whole day better.

CrimsonAngel
2009-03-25, 08:10 PM
Why did he have juice?

Assassin89
2009-03-25, 08:22 PM
Why did he have juice?

I guess the juice is meant to calm the kid down or something along those lines.

Verruckt
2009-03-25, 08:28 PM
Thanks for giving me a giggle Goblin, I needed a lighthearted smile today. Alchemyprime's revenge thread got me thinking however, how this story might have turned out differently with one simple change.

An unusual disguise has caused tragedy today when a Bangkok fireman frightened an eight-year-old boy who had climbed on to a third-floor window ledge over the edge, Thai police say.

The firefighter dressed up as the comic book superhero Rorschach in order to coax the boy, who is autistic, from his dangerous perch.

Police said teachers had alerted the fire station after the boy began crying and climbed out of a classroom window.

It was reportedly his first day at the special needs school.

Efforts by the teachers to persuade the pupil to come back inside had failed.

But a remark by his mother about his passion for comic superheroes prompted fireman Somchai Yoosabai to rush back to the station, where he kept a Rorschach costume in his locker.

The sight of Mr Somchai dressed as Rorschach and holding a glass of juice for him, brought a look of abject terror to the boy's face, and he promptly threw himself from the building to escape the arms of the so called "superhero", police said.

Mr Somchai normally uses the costume to instill a sense of dread during fire drills in schools.

Think about it, would you trust Rorschach with a cup of juice?

Collin152
2009-03-25, 08:28 PM
In reality, he keeps the Spider-Man suit to distract from the fact that he's secretly Batman.

CrimsonAngel
2009-03-25, 08:56 PM
In reality, he keeps the Spider-Man suit to distract from the fact that he's secretly Batman.

No, wonderwoman.

Ceric
2009-03-25, 10:23 PM
Aww...

He keeps a Spiderman costume in his locker? And juice?

But still, aww... :smallsmile:

thubby
2009-03-25, 10:30 PM
d'awwwwwww

Felixaar
2009-03-25, 11:14 PM

*snort*

Well done, sir.

Also: That's cool.

chiasaur11
2009-03-25, 11:55 PM

Well, when Batman is busy.

Normally, he's Superman.

Rutskarn
2009-03-25, 11:57 PM
Good thing he didn't have a Rorschach costume instead.

Or, you know.

Dr. Manhattan.

SoD
2009-03-26, 02:02 AM
Wow. "Don't worry! I'll save the day! I've got a Spiderman costume in my locker!"
"What? Why the hell do you have a spiderman costume???"
"What? Oh, uh...for...uh...fire drills. Yeah, fire drills. To, uh, liven them up a bit. Yeah."

banjo1985
2009-03-26, 04:32 AM
Awesomesauce. Nice story to start the day that.

V'icternus
2009-03-28, 08:41 AM
I read about this in the newspaper (Which I only had because I had some stupid school assignment... anyway...) it's quite a story.

Spiderman saves the day. Kinda.

Batman doesn't. He lacks a "save the kid" utility belt feature.

Of course, there is a pretty big flaw with most Superheroes...

They only seem to hang around their own city.

Spiderman: I'm the only one who can stop super-powered supervillians, but I'm sure they'll all be here in New York, and not, you know, anywhere else in the world. Ever.

Eventually the villains are going to go somewhere else. They can't all be dumb enough to stay just to get revenge, right?

...Right?

Oh well, good story anyway. Even though meeting Spiderman isn't exactly a deterant to climbing out windows...