PDA

View Full Version : Innocence is No Excuse [Creature]

The Demented One
2006-08-14, 02:27 PM
Kalkiut
Size/Type: Large Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 15d10+30 (112 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 50 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +7 Dex, +8 natural), touch 16, flatfooted 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+22
Attack: Claw +17 melee (2d6+7/19-20)
Full Attack: Claw +17 melee (2d6+7/19-20) and 2 Wings +15 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Blinding strike, reforged by justice, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Alternate form, construct traits, damage reduction 15/chaotic, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 5, see in darkness, spell resistance 24
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +11, Will +7
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 24, Con –, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +16, Hide +20, Intimidate +18, Listen +20, Move Silently +20, Spot +20
Feats: Weapon FinesseB, Hover, Flyby Attack, Power Attack, Improved Critical (Claw), Multiattack, Ability Focus (Blinding Strike)
Environment: Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Lawful Neutral
Advancement: 16-28 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: –

Kalkiuts are inevitables charged with the twofold task of punishing those who deny justice for the sake of mercy, and bringing justice to those who escaped it by another’s pity. The judge who reduces a sentence for pity’s sake and the man he spared would both be targets for a Kalkiuts, were the miscarriage of justice great enough. A Kalkiut will seek out even the greatest of enemies if it believes it has transgressed justice. In ages past, the Kalkiuts waged a war with the whole of the Eladrin race that nearly reduced both sides to dust, till the Archons intervened to maintain planar peace. The Kalkiuts prefer, in their own logical way, simply killing their targets, though they have been known to use non-lethal means, such as marks of justice and their reforged by justice ability, when called for. Nicknamed “Mercykillers”, both for the nature of their targets and their methods, very much like those of the Sigilian faction of the same name, these obsidian black constructs stalk their prey for weeks before striking. Kalkiuts appear as humanoid figures of pure black, almost fluid obsidian, with bird-like heads. They have two wings which, while majestic, are often compared to those of vultures. Their left arm is dominated by a single massive claw, like the blade of a scythe.

Blinding Strike (Ex)
Whenever a Kalkiut makes a critical hit with its claw attack, the creature struck must make a DC 26 Fortitude save or have its eyes slashed out, becoming permanently blinded. The save is Strength based. Because the eyes are completely destroyed, the remove blindness/deafness spell cannot cure this condition, though the regenerate spell can.

Reforged By Justice (Su)
Once per day, when a Kalkiut would deal enough damage to kill a creature, it may choose to send its soul to Mechanus. If the creature fails a DC 21 Will save, its souls is sent on to Mechanus, and its body dies. If it succeeds the save, it simply dies. The save is Charisma based. A soul sent to Mechanus fuses with the essence of the plane, and spends 1d10 weeks there, during which time it cannot be called back by any form of resurrection or travel short of a major artifact or divine intervention. When its time is done, the soul is restored to its body, which is healed as if it had been revived with the true resurrection spell. The creature is none the worse for its time in Mechanus, but its alignment automatically shifts one step toward Lawful Neutral.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will–arcane eye, bestow curse (DC 17), darkness, discern lies (DC 18), greater dispel magic, resilient sphere (DC 18), silence (DC 16), speak with dead, vampiric touch; 1/day–greater magic fang, mark of justice, scrying, slay living (DC 19), true seeing; 1/week–geas/quest (DC 20). Caster level 15th. The saves are Charisma based.

Alternate Form (Su)
A Kalkiut may take on the form of a small, raven-like construct. While in this form, there stats change as follows:

Size/Type: Tiny Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 15d10 (82 hp)
Armor Class: 23 (+2 size, +7 Dex, +4 natural), touch 19, flatfooted 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/-2
Attack: Claws +20 melee (1d2-5/19-20)
Full Attack: Claws +20 melee (1d2-5/19-20)
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 24, Con –, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +16, Hide +32, Intimidate +18, Listen +20, Move Silently +20, Spot +20

A Kalkiut in its alternate form retains its blinding strike ability, but the DC is lowered to 14. In addition, due to its lowered Strength score, it may not use its Power Attack feat.

See in Darkness (Su)
A Kalkiut can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-14, 02:45 PM
Brilliant Inevitable.

I think, though, that all other Inevitables' names end in -ut; this one should, too. Kalkiut? Kalkut? Kalut?

Also, I think you forgot their SR.

Finally, they're almost as strong as a Marut, by CR; I think this would be a much lesser task, and would probably drop their strength (Hit dice, CR, and all that stuff) a bit.

martyboy74
2006-08-14, 03:11 PM
Do they get to choose the direction that their alignment moves?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-14, 03:17 PM
Now this I like ;D

Great concept and execution http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/rimshot.gif.

Though like most inevitables I still want to punch it in the head and say, "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!!"

The Demented One
2006-08-14, 03:31 PM
Do they get to choose the direction that their alignment moves?
No. I'd say the Lawful aspect is prioritized over the Neutral one. Thus, a CG creature would go NG and a LE creature would go LN.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-27, 07:52 AM
Mitp Vote: Yes.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-27, 08:00 AM
Inevetibles. The perfect way to stop rampaging PC's. This one is great for PC's that diplomacy every single NPC into giving them reduced penelties.

MitP vote: Yes.

Peregrine
2006-08-27, 10:16 AM
I like it. :) I can just see this coming into conflict with a paladin, of all things: LG 'justice and mercy' versus LN 'just justice'. And then the paladin appeals to his god, and we end up with a divine rumble over whose law is just... the devils weigh in just for kicks, and amusingly enough the Kalkiuts don't mind Lawful Evil types, because they're not merciful all that often... 8)

Nitpick: Change Shape should be Alternate Form, as it has one specific one that it adopts.

Karu
2006-08-28, 12:36 AM
If I'd be a robot chick, inevitables'd make me wet my panties. They rock.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-28, 12:42 AM
MitP vote: Yes

Winged One
2006-08-28, 02:34 AM
MitP vote: yes.

Oh, and the title really captures the spirit of Law.[/ChaoticCynical]

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-28, 05:43 AM
MitP: Yes

Inquisitor rocks. Very good.

asromta