PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need Help on System and Campaign!! (Horror Survival-esk)

WeeFreeMen
2009-03-25, 05:09 PM
Hello all. Before I throw the inevitable wall of text at you I want to first thank you for even considering helping me/reading the post. I don't know how interesting it will be to those who don't DM, but I am fond of the concept. So without further Adu lets begin ^_^

Ok, so the campaign basis is on a Zombie Survival Horror, however its based off real life, in that they will be working from Deltona, FL (were we relatively live) to Michigan, Lansing (were the escape plot will surmise). However they will have several escape options, but lets use Michigan for teaching/idea purposes.

My First question as a new DM is how in the 9 Hells am I gonna come up with the material? I am a avid player of Left 4 Dead, and found that environment kinda suiting for what I wanted to do in this Campaign.

My Second question is What system? Or what play off of a system would be good to use? Our players are really used to 3.5 and I don't want to change systems on them. So can you possibly help with the system? IE: Skill Combos, Set stats, Class options. Anything you think would be inventive/useful.

As far as house rules go.
I am letting them choose a profession form their past life which will play into plot as well as giving them random bonuses.
IE: Profession: Doctor- Bonus +2 Heal Checks, Med Kit (Item of some sort)

Next is they are to pick a character flaw, whether it be Post Mordom Depression for Soldiers or Severe allergies or Asthma for the average Joe.
IE: Flaw: Asthma- -1 Con, Cant take Run feat, etc etc.

I figured the average human isn't above 3rd level, so I was gonna start them at 2nd level and let them level up SLOWLY to 3rd, possibly 4th towards the end of the campaign. Their stats would be 13, 13, 12, 12, 10, 8. Giving them the chance to get a 14 at max lv or with a Profession bonus (IE: Body Builder, +1 Strength). For stats thou, I would like some feed on how they would affect the characters for better and worse

STR- Carrying Capacity, Lifting Capabilities, Melee damage, ???
DEX-AC (Obviously), Movement Speed?, Aim?, ???
CON- HP..., Running Distance, Overall Endurance (possibly DR?)
INT- Skill Points?, Profession Bonus's Bonus?, Multi-Language Capability?, ???
WIS- Willpower/Common sense, ???
CHA- Social interaction overall, ability of appeal?, Recruiting other survivors?

As far as encounters go, feel free to throw Homebew and the like at this. I will be going loosely off CR, however they will have harder encounters based off equipment, position/location, etc etc.
Ideas:

Hunter: Specializes in Tracking and the like, with attacks similar to L4D?
Defiler: ??? Ideas ??? I just liked the name of this one really >_>
Lurker: Amorphous Infected with Stealth capabilities and can Impersonate friendly survivor.
Smoker: L4D
Screamer: Similar to Boomer in L4D but ranged. Any other Ideas?
Tank: The Hulk
Witch: L4D-ish. (No one hit kills)
Dread Lord: Special Infected with Leadership feat. Similar to a gang?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Making templates, referring templates, encounter ideas, weapons, any other DM tricks that can be lent are greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry if I left out a lot or anything for that matter, but the Idea just came to me and I'm a little excited about it, and my first time DM'n I'm also a bit clueless :)

Thank you once again for your time.
/discuss?

EDIT: Yeah, Spellcasting and Psionics are already out. I know its a big project, but I think It will be worth it. Biggest problem Im having is the Bonus's/negatives for Professions as well as Stats and what they give. Keep the ideas coming. TY so much.

Woodsman
2009-03-25, 05:29 PM
There's possibly a way to stat out everything in the real world into 3.5. They have modern weapon stats in the DMG, and some other things you'll have to do yourself (statting out cars and such), but it can be done. it would be rather insane, but it could be done.

Edit: Banning spellcasters would be a plus. Psionics does make sense, though you'd have to fudge the history of the world up a bit.

Crow
2009-03-25, 05:34 PM
D20 Modern seems like it would be right up your alley for this. You can get the books cheap on amazon too.

Greg
2009-03-25, 05:47 PM
D20 Modern seems like it would be right up your alley for this. You can get the books cheap on amazon too.
I believe there is an SRD.

SurlySeraph
2009-03-25, 06:34 PM
The d20 Modern SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd) and Viral Deathspawn (from d20 Apocalypse) are perfect for an easy-to-run game. If you don't want to buy d20 Apocalypse, there are plenty of differentzombie stats (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Zombie_Rules_(D20_Modern_Variant_Rule)) you can use that work for a zombie apocalypse.
However, if you're willing to spend some money, find a copy of All Flesh Must Be Eaten (http://www.amazon.com/All-Flesh-Must-Be-Eaten/dp/1891153315). It's the best zombie RPG out there.