PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What is a good way to build The Count?

newbDM
2009-03-25, 06:10 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/Celestialdragon100/TheCount.png

How would you all stat up The Count as a PC?

The Count's fluff on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Count

Count von Count, often known as The Count, is one of the Muppet characters on Sesame Street, performed by Jerry Nelson. The Count is a vampire modeled after Béla Lugosi's interpretation of Count Dracula.

Description

The Count's main purpose is educating children on simple mathematical concepts, most notably counting. The Count has a love of counting (arithmomania); he will count anything and everything, regardless of size, amount, or how much annoyance he is causing the other Muppets or human cast.

Some traditional vampire myths depict vampires as having a similar fixation with counting small objects, providing a means of distracting them by tossing a handful of seeds or salt on the ground. This is seen as a protection from the vampire, similar to the use of garlic. The Count's own arithmomania may simply be a coincidence, however, inspired by the pun on his title of nobility. According to his theme song, "The Song of the Count": "When I'm alone, I count myself. One count!"

In the early 1970s, following a counting session, the Count would laugh maniacally, "AH AH AH AH AH!" as thunder roared overhead and lightning flashed, and as the total of the number appeared on screen. He also possessed hypnotic powers and could stun people, and he wouldn't let anything get in the way of his counting. This practice, however, was discontinued in the mid-1970s because there was concern that children watching the show would become frightened by it. From the mid-70s to the present, the Count became friendlier, did not have hypnotic powers, and interacted more with the characters (both live actors and Muppets), and appeared in at least one Muppet-Kid moment. His laugh was also changed from maniacal laughter to a more triumphant, stereotypical Dracula-style laugh, but the thunder and lightning stayed until the early 2000s, and from then on was only used for special sequences.

When the Count sings, the background music resembles Roma music, no matter what the song.

The Count bears a noticeable resemblance to Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula, including a similar accent and oversized, pointed canine teeth (better known as fangs, although Lugosi himself did not bear fangs in the 1931 film), but it would appear that he is different from other vampires, besides sporting a goatee and monocle. For example, most vampires wither in direct sunlight; the Count does not and in fact enjoys being outside. Additionally, the Count does not suck blood, sleep in a coffin, or change into a bat. He also sleeps at night. In many ways, he is more like a regular human than a vampire. However, the Count still has one vampiric trait: he has no reflection in mirrors.

The Count lives in an old, cobweb-infested castle which he shares with many bats. Sometimes he counts them. Some of the pet bats are named, including Grisha, Misha, Sasha, and Tatiana. He has a cat, Fatatita, as well. Sometimes he counts him. He also drives a special car designed in the features of a bat, named the Countmobile, intended as a pun to the Batmobile. He is also the one who repairs the Countmobile when it breaks down, implying that he is a good mechanic.

The Count's former girlfriend, Countess von Backwards, was known for counting backwards. More recently he has been seen with a new girlfriend, Countess Dahling von Dahling. His brother and mother have made appearances on the show. His grandparents also made an appearance. When Grandma Count laughs, it rains. When Grandpa Count laughs, it snows.

I believe one fun thing about this would be roleplaying his Arithmomania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmomania). Being someone who suffers (and somewhat benefits) from regular OCD, I believe I can mimic it somewhat well.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-03-25, 06:29 PM
I'll have to thinks some and get back to you on how to stat him... I figure he would have some powers of illusion, to make thunder and lightning and big technicolor numbers appear, you know. Perhaps a gnome with some sort of vampire template that allows him to tolerate the sun. But I must say that reading your post reminded me how awesome Count von Count is! So of course I went and found something (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7hTkzEwFZ0) on YouTube.

RTGoodman
2009-03-25, 06:32 PM
Well, it doesn't really fit the fluff, but the only math-related thing I can think of would be the Geometer from Complete Arcane, and I believe it's just for Arcane casters.

Otherwise, I mean, you could probably have the arithmomania with any kind of character. His love of numbers, though, would probably best work out with an Int-based class. Off the top of my head, you could try out Artificer (they're Int-based, right?), Archivist, or Wizard, and I'm betting there's a good Dhampyr/Half-Vampire race/template you could use.

EDIT: The Doc's right about using Illusions, though. That works for most casters, though.

Graymayre
2009-03-25, 06:39 PM
There is a homebrewed Truenamer that on this site (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90961).

It would be cool to replace all of those "true names" with math conversions and BAM, you're killing people with the power of math! :smallwink:

newbDM
2009-03-25, 06:45 PM
But I must say that reading your post reminded me how awesome Count von Count is! So of course I went and found something (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7hTkzEwFZ0) on YouTube.

Agreed. And that is an awesome video. Over a decade before I was even born, but still awesome. It is amazing that these characters are around, and that The Count still has the same voice actor. They will probably outlive me. :smalleek:

However, looking at a video your link links to, and then comparing it to the original makes you realize that he seems to have "a problem":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Wd-Q3F8KM&NR=1

Unbeeped version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FL99ESjnZg

Project_Mayhem
2009-03-26, 12:49 PM
On a related note, my storyteller for VtM recently turned down my concept of a Transilvanian Malkavian with an OC counting disorder ...

I was so close

Zaq
2009-03-26, 01:06 PM
Make him a Wu Jen. That gives him nifty powers (thunder, lightning, giant floating numbers, etc.) but also gives him taboos. Such as "must not pass up an opportunity to count out loud" or "must not fail to give a mighty "AH AH AAAAAH" upon finishing counting."

Zherog
2009-03-26, 01:24 PM
I figure he would have some powers of illusion, to make thunder and lightning and big technicolor numbers appear, you know.

Sadly, the thunder and lightning - as well as his laugh as he counts - is gone from his routine. They were deemed "too scary" for kids.

chiasaur11
2009-03-26, 02:02 PM
Sadly, the thunder and lightning - as well as his laugh as he counts - is gone from his routine. They were deemed "too scary" for kids.

Unfortunate.

Back in my day, kids learned terrifying supernatural beings could only be stopped by forcing them to count.

How will tomorrow's adults deal with Vampires, eh?

Project_Mayhem
2009-03-26, 02:34 PM
Unfortunate.

Back in my day, kids learned terrifying supernatural beings could only be stopped by forcing them to count.

How will tomorrow's adults deal with Vampires, eh?

With fire if they have any sense

chiasaur11
2009-03-26, 03:50 PM
With fire if they have any sense

But we don't let little kids burn each other to near death any more.

They won't know how to use fire when the time comes.

Also, they'll think cookies are a sometimes food, which is just insane.

newbDM
2009-04-01, 03:35 PM
Thank you for the ideas so far.

I like the idea of taking levels in a class which would allow him to make thunder/thunder sounds, as well as strnge flying numbers.

What class do you all think would be best for this? A psion (Control Sound and the visual power), a sorcerer, or something else? Would taking the feats which allow you to cast/manifest a spell/power as a swift action be a good idea?

But about the vampire part. Is taking the human + vampire template route a bad idea?

I imagine by the time I am done with the vampire template/racial progression taking a level or two of a caster/manifester class would be somewhat weak.

Are vampire good as PCs on their own?

Flickerdart
2009-04-01, 03:42 PM
Vampires are awful as PCs because of the huge LA, but they're not bad as enemies (only +3 CR). There was a homebrewed Vampire template on these boards that makes it less awful.