PDA

View Full Version : Masters of Magic #2: The Star Mage

Zeta Kai
2009-03-25, 06:59 PM
Astromancer
(AKA Star Mage)
Not all who study the stars become astrologers. Divination is not the only talent that the stars may teach us. There are mages who have unlocked the secrets of the stars, & Astromancer is the name that we give to those who wield such power. Spellcasters such as these can alter their luck, dazzle their enemies, & conjure a number of other stellar effects.

http://fc31.deviantart.com/fs8/i/2005/304/2/5/The_Black_Star_by_Drakenborg.jpg

Requirements

Spellcasting: ability to cast 3rd level spells
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 9 ranks
Special: must know at least one 3rd-level or higher conjuration spell
Fastest Route: Sor 6 or Wiz 6

Class Information
Hit Die: d6
Class Skills: The Astromancer’s class skills (& the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge: Arcana (Int), Profession (Wis), & Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table 1-2: The Astromancer (PrC)
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Lucky Star (basic)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Twinkle|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Red Dwarf|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Star Blast|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Red Giant|--
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Disaster|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Nova|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Pulsar|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Supernova|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Quasar, Lucky Star (advanced)|--[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Astromancer. See level progression on Table 1-2: The Astromancer (PrC) for more information.

Weapon & Armor Proficiency: You gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Lucky Star (Su): At 1st level, once per day per 2 class levels (5 times per day total), re-roll any 1 roll you have made within the last round; you must take the results of the re-roll, even if the result is worse than the original roll; at 10th level, you can choose whichever roll you wish to use

Twinkle (Su): At 2nd level, you can emit a shower of glittering sparks once every 1d4+2 rounds, rendering all creatures within 10’ dazzled; Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your primary spellcasting ability modifier) to avoid; a creature will be dazzled for 1 round per class level; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Red Dwarf (Sp): At 3rd level, 3 times per day, you can reduce 1 creature (within reach) by 1 size category for 1 hour per class level with a successful touch attack; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your primary spellcasting ability modifier) to negate; this divides the creature’s height, length, & width by 2, & divides its weight by 8; the target gains a +2 size bonus to Dexterity, a -2 size penalty to Strength (to a minimum of 1), & a +1 bonus on attack rolls & AC due to its reduced size; this effect doesn’t change the target’s speed; all equipment worn or carried by a creature is similarly reduced by the effect; melee & projectile weapons deal less damage; other magical properties are not affected by this effect; any reduced item that leaves the reduced creature’s possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size; this means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage (projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them); multiple magical effects that reduce size do not stack; this effect cannot be made permanent with a permanency spell; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Star Blast (Su): At 4th level, you can emit a ray of bright sparkling lights at will, dealing 1d4 damage per class level & rendering those struck dazzled; Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your primary spellcasting ability modifier) for half damage & negation of the dazzling effect; a creature will be dazzled for 1 round per class level; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Red Giant (Sp): At 5th level, 3 times per day, you can enlarge 1 creature (within reach) by 1 size category for 1 hour per class level with a successful touch attack; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your primary spellcasting ability modifier) to negate; this multiplies the creature’s height, length, & width by 2, & multiplies its weight by 8; the target gains a -2 size penalty to Dexterity(to a minimum of 1), a +2 size bonus to Strength, & a -1 penalty on attack rolls & AC due to its enlarged size; this effect doesn’t change the target’s speed; all equipment worn or carried by a creature is similarly enlarged by the effect; melee & projectile weapons deal more damage; other magical properties are not affected by this effect; any enlarged item that leaves the enlarged creature’s possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size; this means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage (projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them); multiple magical effects that enlarge size do not stack; this effect cannot be made permanent with a permanency spell; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Disaster (Su): At 6th level, 3 times per day, you can inflict misfortune upon your enemies; 1 opponent per class level takes a luck penalty on all initiative checks, saving throws, skill checks, & attack roles; this luck penalty is equal to your class level; Will save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your primary spellcasting ability modifier) to resist; all opponents must be within 20’ of you at the time you wreak Disaster to be affected; this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Nova (Sp): At 7th level, 3 times per day, you can create a massive blast of light & heat; the 20’-radius explosion of flame deals 1d6 fire damage per class level, just like fireball; this effect damages objects within range & exerts no forceful pressure; long range (400’ + 40’/level); any opponent caught within the blast can make a successful Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your primary spellcasting ability modifier) for half damage; this blast cannot harm you, but it can harm your allies, as well as your opponents &/or any bystanders; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Pulsar (Sp): At 8th level, twice per day, you can unravel your enemies with destructive energy; this is a touch attack that deals 2d6 force damage per class level, just like disintegrate (maximum 20d6); any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this effect is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust (a disintegrated creature’s equipment is unaffected); when used against an object, this effect cannot disintegrate nonliving matter; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your primary spellcasting ability modifier) for half damage (if this damage still reduces the creature to 0 or fewer hit points, it is still disintegrated); this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Supernova (Sp): At 9th level, once per day, you can unleash a wave of annihilating power; the 120’-radius explosion of flame deals 2d6 bludgeoning damage & 6d6 fire damage, just like meteor swarm; this effect damages objects within range & exerts no forceful pressure; long range (400’ + 40’/level); any opponent caught within the blast can make a successful Reflex save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your primary spellcasting ability modifier) for half damage; this blast cannot harm you, but it can harm your allies, as well as your opponents &/or any bystanders; this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

Quasar (Sp): At 10th level, once per day, you can release a torrent of overwhelming energy that can utterly destroy an enemy; this is a successful touch attack deals 35d6 force damage to a single opponent, similar to greater ruin; any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this effect is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust (a disintegrated creature’s equipment is unaffected); when used against an object, this effect cannot disintegrate nonliving matter; Fortitude save (DC10 + ½ your class level + your primary spellcasting ability modifier) for half damage (if this damage still reduces the creature to 0 or fewer hit points, it is still disintegrated); this is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity

JoshuaZ
2009-03-25, 07:29 PM
Did you intend to have the caster progression the way you have it? It seems a bit odd to have caster progression at every level except the last one.

I'm a little worried about the Supernova and Quasar abilities. Even Meteor Swarm does a maximum of 32d6 damage and allows multiple saves to reduce that. Quasar is in some respects more powerful than a 9th level spell. Supernova is precisely identical to Meteor Swarm and you can get this at 16th level. The damage output here is very heavy. It might be ok, but I'm not sure.

Pramxnim
2009-03-25, 07:50 PM
I like this concept more than the Wind Mage TBH (but then again I don't feel much like playing with wind rules in D&D). Let's take a look at the abilities:

Lucky Star (Su): Love the name really. Nothing wrong with rerolls, they can save your life sometimes. Can you reroll a reroll?

Twinkle (Su): Hate the name. Just my personal opinion, doesn't sound badass enough lol. Anyways... I suggest making the save DC = 10 + Astromancer Class Level + Spellcasting DC modifier instead. This format is done with some other 10 level spellcasting PrCs (can't remember off the top of my head) and the way it's set up now, it really discourages sorcerers from entering the class. Also I feel Dazzle is a weak enough effect that the DC should be higher.

Red Dwarf (Sp): More times per day would be nice. 3/day Reduce Person is fine, since it's such a low level spell. I stand by my suggestion for the save DC with this one.

Star Blast (Su): What is the range and AOE of this effect? I suggest the DC be changed for this one too, to 1/2 level in classes that allow spellcasting (so that it won't be totally useless later on, and is more effective than Twinkle when it is gained)

Red Giant (Sp): 2/day methinks. Also, what is the range on this and Red Dwarf?

Disaster (Su): Don't change the DC on this one. Looks fine. I think getting within 20ft of his enemies might be disastrous for the astromancer in and of itself. Maybe make this a ray (or 10ft radius blast at close range) instead, since the penalties (if they do hit) are quite substantial. Resist being half penalty or negation? I personally lean towards half penalty, but that might be too powerful.

Nova (Sp): Ok, looks fine. Keep the DC, it's higher than Fireball, but that's to be expected at this level. Damage might be too weak for the level it's gained at though.

Pulsar (Sp): I honestly don't think anyone is going to use this, since it is a touch attack. I'd suggest setting a static DC (ala Initiate of Sevenfold Veils DC 18 + Int) and making it a Close or Medium Range Ray.

Supernova (Sp): Why is it weaker than Fireball? Why oh why?? :smallsigh:

Quasar (Sp): Seems a bit dull for a capstone ability, no?

I like the lower level abilities more than the higher level ones. As it is, I'd stay in this class for 6 levels and get the hell outta dodge. Maybe something more unique that has to do with stars (other than damage) would make this class more attractive to people.

Pyrusticia
2009-03-26, 06:56 AM
Interesting PrC. I'd have to playtest it to decide if I like it or not, but it definitely has potential.

From a fluff standpoint, and assuming you allow content from Dragon magazine, you may wish to include the feat Startouched as a prerequisite for entering this prestige class. For further flavor, you could even have their powers enhanced (+1 caster level?) when their sign is ascendent.

Knaight
2009-03-27, 09:22 PM
I like it. Its up there with the wind mage, and I loved that class. It seems balanced enough to me, but at high levels, balancing casters is not where I shine. Supernova also seems kind of weak, it hits a large area, but the damage is pretty low. In the context of attacking armies and such it is an incredible spell, but it seems a little low damage. Maybe add a fortitude save against blinding?

Cieyrin
2009-03-28, 11:18 AM
Maybe it's just me but building a arcane caster PRC around spell-like abilities seems like not the most constructive homebrew. Wind Mage was good b/c you can't easily create wind effects with the currently available spells or at least not without going into some obscure druid spells, I imagine. The incentive to going into a PRC is to do things that aren't easily done staying in core classes or are focused on a specific area, which this class doesn't really fit either criteria.

Putting the above quibble aside, I'm not sure how balanced it is to give a 15th or 16th level character access to 9th and epic level spells as spell-likes. That seems a bit much. I firmly believe that epic material should stay with epic characters, unless we can prove otherwise that they're sufficiently weak enough to be non-epic balanced, just like Mighty Rage and Mobile Fortress were. That said, Epic Spells like Greater Ruin are beyond the ken of non-epic casters and shouldn't be handed out as spell-likes.

The only other quibble I have is for Red Dwarf and Red Giant: do they affect-nonhumanoids, unlike the spells they're based off of? It seems to but I just want it to be sure.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

tyckspoon
2009-03-28, 12:45 PM
Putting the above quibble aside, I'm not sure how balanced it is to give a 15th or 16th level character access to 9th and epic level spells as spell-likes. That seems a bit much. I firmly believe that epic material should stay with epic characters, unless we can prove otherwise that they're sufficiently weak enough to be non-epic balanced, just like Mighty Rage and Mobile Fortress were. That said, Epic Spells like Greater Ruin are beyond the ken of non-epic casters and shouldn't be handed out as spell-likes.

Greater Ruin absolutely does not deserve to be an Epic effect; just compare it to Disintegrate. The only advantage (Greater) Ruin has is better range. The Quasar ability is essentially just the ability to use Disintegrate 1/day as if you had a little higher caster level (and if your CL is 18 or better, you still get better raw damage from Disintegrate). As for the Supernova ability, re-read it. It's not casting Meteor Swarm; it's a very large burst of just 8d6 damage, which has split damage types like Meteor Swarm. It's actually very weak for the level. (Suggestion: Don't reference Meteor Swarm in this ability. It's more confusing than clarifying.)

Cieyrin
2009-03-31, 02:39 PM
Alright, you were correct about Supernova being like a single meteor from a meteor swarm, which comes out kinda lacking in comparison to Nova.

I do stick with my guns on greater ruin, as, if you'll read it, it reduces damage to half damage, as opposed to disintegrate, which reduces to 5d6 on a successful save. That is a BIG difference, from a max of 30 to over 100 damage. That'll tear somebody a new one, no doubt. Also, Pulsar maxes out at 20d6, since it's based on class level, not character level, which puts Quasar in a different league. I do note that Pulsar also has the save for half, instead of save for 5d6, which isn't disintegratish. So yeah, refering to the spells to make the custom spell-likes rather confuses the issue, I say.

ericgrau
2009-03-31, 10:10 PM
No one noticed that supernova has a massive radius? That helps. Though it's still not quite enough to make up for the lower damage except when fighting armies. Especially since it can hurt your allies. I mean, where do you target the darned thing without causing collateral damage? I guess you could prep some energy resistance spells on your whole party ahead of time.

Disintegrate caps at 40d6, should pulsar also cap at 40d6?

Cieyrin
2009-04-01, 10:07 AM
The cap on disintegrate is based off of caster level. Pulsar is based off of class level, from which it follows that it caps at 20d6, given a 10 level PRC. So, unless we're going to start worrying about epic progressions, it's moot to put a high cap on something that won't likely be rich, b/c honestly, how many people play a character up to level 30, barring going 4E?