PDA

View Full Version : Addiction in D&D [PEACH]

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-24, 08:05 PM
Basically, some addiciton rules I made up.

An addictive substance is any substance which alters your brain chemistry in such a way as to cause you to crave that substance; in D&D terms, this would often be represented by a poison. It is the DM’s call whether or not any particular substance is addictive. A character may indulge in a single dose of an addictive poison up to once a week without risk of becoming addicted. If a character has taken multiple doses of an addictive poison in the same week and still suffers ability damage as a result by one week after the initial dose, 1 point of his ability damage is converted to permanent ability drain in each of his damaged ability scores, and the character becomes addicted to the substance.

Once addicted, the character gains the Addiction flaw. Unlike flaws taken at character generation, this flaw does not grant the character an additional feat (though if a character takes the Addiction flaw at 1st level, she gains an extra feat as normal). The character can go for a number of hours without a dose equal to 2 x his Con mod (minimum 1 hour), not including time spent sleeping, in trance, or the like. For each half-hour he forgoes his substance over this time limit, the character must make a Will save against a DC of 20 - his Con mod + 1 for each previous save. If the save succeeds, the character takes 1d2 points of Con damage, but does not have to make a save for another half-hour. If the save fails, you succumb to your cravings and must seek a dose immediately. You may pause to eat, drink, or fight, but only as long as such pauses are necessary to your acquisition of your dose.

As time goes by, you begin to become inured to the effects of your substance. To achieve the same high, you must take ever increasing amounts of your substance. After the first year you spend as an addict, you are required to take twice as many doses as the previous year. While each of these double-doses affects you as only one dose would in terms of ability damage, use the full number of doses to calculate all other relevant effects. After the second year, you need three doses to produce the high that one dose used to give you; after the third year, four doses, and so on. Every time you suffer ability score damage as from a standard dose of your substance, you must make a Fort save against a DC of 0 + 1 for every dose you’ve taken in the past week or take 1d2 points of permanent Con drain.

PMDM
2006-07-24, 08:12 PM
Any chance on making rules for becoming addicted to a type of game? ;D

SpiderBrigade
2006-07-24, 08:45 PM
That's not a bad mechanic, but you should be aware that there are rules for drugs and addiction already. Presented in the Book of Vile Darkness and I think also Sharn: City of Towers. Check it out ;D

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-24, 09:38 PM
Any chance on making rules for becoming addicted to a type of game? ;D

D&D: contact poison; Will DC 20; +2 Int, 1d2 Cha.

martyboy74
2006-07-24, 09:51 PM
Well, this leads to a punny new PrC: Drugged master!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-07-24, 10:01 PM
"of course DND hasn't affected my mind....I've passed my will save like three times already..."
- ME

Dragonmuncher
2006-07-25, 09:27 AM
Is there a way to become un-addicted?

Artisan
2006-07-25, 09:29 AM
Generally temporary ability drain, HP drain and so on, I would imagine

MMad
2006-07-25, 09:53 AM

Yep, you'd need mechanics for that, too.

chaiyo
2006-07-25, 11:41 AM

Yep, you'd need mechanics for that, too.

I would suggest naming these mechanics 'rehab.' Or, better yet, make a cleric spell named Rehab. Like shadow magic cast over a cliff, the only good result is failing your will save. However, if you can fail your will save for a low-level spell, you will certainly go back into addiction. Thus, the quandary that is presented when you put your dump stat into Wisdom.

But seriously though, I would recommend making rehab either a divine spell or a treatment that only clerics can do. Like make holy water. Or cure people of addictions to holy water. Sounds like I just made up a new plot hook!

Runolfr
2006-07-25, 12:16 PM
The BoVD actually has addiction rules, btw.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-07-25, 12:20 PM
So I have been told. One problem: I don't have the BoVD.

And Rehab, you say? Hmmm. I'll have to thuink about that.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-13, 01:51 PM
The BoVD actually has addiction rules, btw.

Okay, I now have the BoVD. I have looked at their addiction rules. And I find that I prefer mine.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-29, 09:45 AM
Addiction (General)
You are addicted to some kind of drug.
Disadvantage: You are addicted, as per the rules in the opening post (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11543007 90). You are considered to be in the first year of your addiction.
Special: You can take this flaw multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take this flaw, you must select a dfferent substance to be addicted to.

Rehabilitation
Transmutation/Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 6
Components: V, S, DF, XP
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Creature with Addiction flaw touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The creature touched loses the Addiction flaw and all poisons in its body are neutralized. The creature also loses one feat of the caster's choice. This feat cannot be one which is a prerequisite for other feats the creature possesses. Ability score damage caused by the substance to which the creature was addicted is restored. If a creature has multiple addictions, this spell's effects apply only to the newest addiction, or the addiction of the caster's choice if two or more addictions are equally old.
XP Cost: 250.

NullAshton
2006-08-29, 10:21 AM
Sweet, you've just given the world a way to permanently remove people's feats, even if they're not willing! ;D

Peregrine
2006-08-29, 11:28 AM
The creature also loses one feat. This feat cannot be one which is a prerequisite for other feats the creature possesses.
I'm not sure why it's necessary to apply this restriction. Depending on who picks the feat, you'd need a sadistic DM or a masochistic player to actually pick such a feat, but I think it's arbitrary to disallow it outright.

(Remember, if you lose a feat's prerequisite, you can't use that feat anymore.)

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-29, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure why it's necessary to apply this restriction. Depending on who picks the feat, you'd need a sadistic DM or a masochistic player to actually pick such a feat, but I think it's arbitrary to disallow it outright.

(Remember, if you lose a feat's prerequisite, you can't use that feat anymore.)

That's why the restriction exists. Say there's an alchoholic dwarf fighter with the Power Attack - Cleave - Great Cleave feats. The restriction prevents a cleric from casting rehabilitation and taking away Power Attack, thus denying the dwarf of his Cleave and Great Cleave feats. You take a flaw, you gain a feat. You lose a flaw, you lose a feat. Balance.