unosarta
2009-03-25, 08:08 PM
TOXICUM

Requirements
BAB: +5
Skills: 10 ranks craft[poisonmaking]
Feats: Skill Focus [poisonmaking]
Class ability: Poison Use
Special: you must have killed a creature with a CR equal to, or higher than your character level, with poisons only.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|Poison Crafter, Poison Specialty [1]

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|Swift Poisoning
3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|Poison Specialty [2]

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Dual-Poisoning

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Poison Specialty [3]

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|Poison Immunity, Sneak Attack +2d6

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|Poison Specialty [4]

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+2|Poison Mastery

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+3|Poison specialty [5], Sneak Attack +3d6

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+3|Ultimate Poisoner[/table]

Hit Dice
d6
Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + intelligence modifier.

Poison Crafter: decrease the DC to craft poisons by a number equal to your Toxicum level, Divide the cost to create poisons by your Toxicum levels, and reduce the time in days it takes to make poisons by a number equal to your Toxicum levels [this may not reduce the time to less than 1 day].

Poison Specialty: choose a poison. You increase the DC to resist the effects by your Toxicum level. When you apply this poison to a weapon, it does not come off after one use, but instead gains “charges” equal to your Toxicum levels. The poison is only used up after making attacks with it a number of times equal to its charges. Every time you make an attack it uses up one charge. This only works for contact and injury poisons. This coating is resistant to weather, and will only come off after 1 week. You gain an additional specialized poison at 3rd level and every two levels after it.

Swift poison: at second level the Toxicum may apply poison to a weapon as a free action.

Sneak Attack: at third level, the Toxicum gains Sneak Attack as the rogue ability. The damage starts as +1d6, and increases to +2d6 at 6th level, and +3d6 at 9th level.

Dual Poisoning: at fourth level you may apply two poisons to one weapon. These poisons may not do the same type of ability damage. You may only apply two of your specialized poisons.

Poison Immunity [su]: at sixth level the Toxicum becomes immune to poison effects and spells.

Poison Mastery: at eighth level the Toxicum doubles the dice of the ability damage of his poisons [this works for the initial and secondary damage]. If the poison deals a fixed amount, he doubles the amount

Ultimate Poisoner [su]: at tenth level the Toxicums poisons become so potent that creatures normally immune to poison are affected by them. The Specialized poisons of a Toxicum ignore poison immunity, and do ability damage to creatures that are normally not affected even if they don’t have an anatomy that is normal to a humanoid [i.e. Aberration]. If a creature does not have the ability that would be affected by the poison, the poison deals damage equal to its save DC. This effect does not extend to the secondary damage of a poison.

so, thoughts, questions?

Pie Guy
2009-03-25, 09:58 PM
No poison use, he can poison himself accidentally.

SurlySeraph
2009-03-25, 11:11 PM
No poison use, he can poison himself accidentally.

Poison Use is one of the prerequisites.

I like this a lot. It makes using poison regularly cheap enough to be practical, and makes poisons considerably more powerful. Poison Mastery with, say, Black Lotus Extract is an insta-kill on damn near everything, and with Poison Specialty you can keep hitting until the target fails its save. With that said, I don't think this class is overpowered, though it is powerful.
I have one issue, though: the BAB requirement. This means that the lowest level you can enter is Fighter 6/Blackguard 1; a Rogue/Assassin (which strikes me as the way most characters would want to enter) can't enter before 8th level. Most prestige classes are intended to be entered at 6th level. Personally, I think the prerequisistes are enough without the BAB requirement.

Pyrusticia
2009-03-26, 12:41 AM
Looks very nasty. :smallwink:

The only change I would suggest would be making Ultimate Poisoner a Supernatural ability. I honestly can't think of any other way to explain a poison affecting a stone golem (for example).

unosarta
2009-03-26, 04:24 PM
Looks very nasty. :smallwink:

The only change I would suggest would be making Ultimate Poisoner a Supernatural ability. I honestly can't think of any other way to explain a poison affecting a stone golem (for example).

hm, i thought about doing that, and now that someone's mentioning it, that is probably a good idea.

unosarta
2009-03-26, 04:34 PM
Poison Use is one of the prerequisites.

I like this a lot. It makes using poison regularly cheap enough to be practical, and makes poisons considerably more powerful. Poison Mastery with, say, Black Lotus Extract is an insta-kill on damn near everything, and with Poison Specialty you can keep hitting until the target fails its save. With that said, I don't think this class is overpowered, though it is powerful.
I have one issue, though: the BAB requirement. This means that the lowest level you can enter is Fighter 6/Blackguard 1; a Rogue/Assassin (which strikes me as the way most characters would want to enter) can't enter before 8th level. Most prestige classes are intended to be entered at 6th level. Personally, I think the prerequisistes are enough without the BAB requirement.

thank you :smallsmile: i changed the BAB requirement to 5. i think that should fix the issues that you have.