PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me bring balance to the Force. Err, I mean my races.

Myou
2009-03-26, 06:40 AM
I'm running a high powered 3.5 game (it's somewhat eperimental, I'm tweaking and modifying my rules as we go), and I'd love some help blancing the playable races. I'm sure some are a bit too good/bad, and that there are some classes not covered by them. :3

I stripped out the stereotyped "bonus to stoneworking" stuff, to me things like that depend on backstory, not race, are pretty useless, and are a pain to keep track of. If a player want a bonus to craft checks or something like that there are feats they can take, that makes a lot more sense than some sort of genetic memory.

Humans are slightly more powerful than in the PHB, and I want the other races to match up (rather than humans always being one of the best choices for any build).

LA is a pretty heavy burden, because it can't be bought off in my game, so I'm loath to hand it out too freely. Also, there are no favoured classes of multiclassing penalties.

The setting is a tropical ocean that spans the world's equator, dotted with islands of all sizes. Most settlements are of highly mixed race, but there are some areas where there is less variation and only a few races are common. I the past extraplanar travel and communication was common, but almost all contact with the gods and their servants and foes has since been cut off.

Humans

Humans are a youthful and inquisitive race. They are one of the most recent races to emerge, and even after tens of thousands of years they retain a youthfulness that the older races lack. Humans lead unusually varied lives and often become adventurers or explorers, making them common across the world’s oceans. Just as humans themselves, human societies and cultures tend to change quickly and rarely last more than a few hundred years.

Humans are very quick to learn and often hold high ambition which more than makes up for their shorter lifespan, but at the same time their short lives can lead them to think only in the present and neglect the past and future.

Type: Humanoid (Human)
Size: Medum
Base Speed: 30ft
Automatic Languages: Common
Traits;
1 bonus feat at 1st level
+2 To one ability score of player's choice
Aging;
Adulthood: 20
Middle Age: 40
Old Age: 60
Venerable Age: 80
Maximum Age: +2d20

Elves

Elves are an ancient and ethereal race, similar to humans, yet also dissonant. They live in much greater harmony with nature and hold deeper spiritual and cultural beliefs that change little with time. Elves have an air of nobility and magic to them that many other races lack, and they tend to live slower, calmer lives as a result of their long lifespan.

They are said to have magical blood that heightens their senses and gives them a greater resistance to the magic of their enemies, and give them fair and unblemished complexions. This together with their lithe, flexible bodies makes them highly regarded as one of the most beautiful of races.

Type: Humanoid (Elf)
Automatic Languages: Common, Elven
Traits;
Darkvision, Low-Light Vision
+2 bonus to Listen, Spot, Hide, Move Silently and Search checks
+2 to saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities
+2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Str
Aging;
Adulthood: 100
Middle Age: 200
Old Age: 300
Venerable Age: 400
Maximum Age: +2d100

Dwarves

Dwarves are a hardy and heavily built race that are stouter and slower than other humanoids, but tougher and enduring. Their societies are some of the most insular and xenophobic, but also some of the most stable and unchanging. As a whole their race is gruff and unyielding, but while they seldom make friends easily, they are highly loyal to those that they do grow close to.

Dwarves are proud of their mining and metallurgy, most of their cities growing up in regions where precious metals can be found. Their heavy frames allow them to easily wear even the heaviest armours and make them tough warriors.

Type: Humanoid (Dwarf)
Base Speed: 20ft
Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven
Traits;
Low-Light Vision
+4 racial bonus to saving throws against poison
Racial proficiency with all armours
Dwarves gain Toughness as a bonus feat
+2 Con, -2 Cha
Aging;
Adulthood: 40
Middle Age: 80
Old Age: 120
Venerable Age: 160
Maximum Age: +2d40

Gnomes

Gnomes are a clever, nimble race, smaller than other humanoids but with an aptitude for survival that few others can match. Gnomes live in some of the most unstable and hostile environments the world has to offer – in glass cities under the ocean, among the freezing peaks of the tallest mountains, and on floating towns far out to sea. One of the most widespread race after humans, they are playful and light-hearted, with a gift for invention that they back up with skilled, dextrous hands, bringing many new creations to life.

Type: Humanoid (Gnome)
Size: Small
Automatic Languages: Common, Gnome
Traits;
+1 to all saving throws
+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con
Aging;
Adulthood: 30
Middle Age: 60
Old Age: 90
Venerable Age: 120
Maximum Age: +2d30

Orcs

Orcs are large and powerful, bigger than the other humanoids and wilder too. They have amazing strength and stamina, but short life-spans. They tend to live in loosely organised tribes in villages on the fringes of society, with little order or law. They are not mentally agile, but they tend to favour tribal traditions and physical achievement over laws and intelligence.

They can sometimes be found living in more developed towns and cities, but are less common in such places than the other races.

Type: Monstrous Humanoid (Orc)
Size: Large
Automatic Languages: Common, Orc
Traits;
10ft space and reach
Orcs gain Endurance as a bonus feat
+2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Aging;
Adulthood: 10
Middle Age: 20
Old Age: 30
Venerable Age: 40
Maximum Age: +2d10

Kobolds

Kobolds are a race of burrowing reptilians, slightly shorter than dwarves but equally heavily built, their thick, hard scales and strong frames making them one of the toughest of all races. With their slow movements and poor eyesight above ground they are not the most capable fighters, but they are great survivors.

They tend to be shyer and less outgoing than other races, but they are reliable and level-headed.

Type: Humanoid (Reptilian)
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic
Traits;
Light Sensitivity
+2 Natural Armour
+4 Con, -2 Str, -2 Dex
Aging;
Adulthood: 15
Middle Age: 30
Old Age: 45
Venerable Age: 60
Maximum Age: +2d15

Aasimar

Aasimar are descended from celestial beings who interbred with humans in the distant past when such holy creatures were commonplace. They are similar to humans, but are marked from birth with soft white lines and markings on their skin and golden hair that shine sin the sunlight. Aasimar eventually grew apart from the rest of human kind, becoming a distinct race of their own. They posses supernatural beauty and great wisdom, one of the few races that can challenge the elves in both, and like the elves they are in touch with the natural world around them, albeit to a lesser extent. Unlike the elves however, they rarely hold strong spiritual beliefs, tending to feel that the heavenly realms have abandoned them, instead doing their best to live up to their own morals and ideals.

Type: Outsider (Native)
Size: Medium
Automatic Languages: Common, Celestial
Traits;
Aasimar can cast Light at will as a spell-like ability with a caster level equal to their character level
+2 Wis, +2 Cha
Aging;
Adulthood: 200
Middle Age: 400
Old Age: 600
Venerable Age: 800
Maximum Age: +2d200

Teiflings

Just as the Aasimar are descended from celestial beings who interbred with humans, the Teiflings are descended form demons who did the same. They bear striking markings and physical traits inherited from their evil ancestors, specific traits running in families. Most have unusual skin colour or markings and some form of horns. Many also have tails, but beyond that each lineage is unique and easily identified by those who know the Teifling race well.

Teiflings are seldom as beautiful as Aasimar, but they have a darker charm of their own and are often highly charismatic and intelligent. In the past they faced great struggles to find a place in the world, few members of the other races accepting the offspring of demons, but in recent times they have broken free of the influence of their ancestors, and while they are rarer than the other races they are slowly growing in number and are gaining acceptance into the cultures of the other races.

Type: Outsider (Native)
Size: Medium
Automatic Languages: Common, Abyssal
Traits;
Telepathy (100ft)
+2 Int, +2 Cha
Aging;
Adulthood: 200
Middle Age: 400
Old Age: 600
Venerable Age: 800
Maximum Age: +2d200

Satyrs

Satyrs are a race of magical creatures resembling children from the waist up but with hind-legs and a tail more reminiscent of a horse. They have a magical quality to them, able to produce lights and sounds at will, and are clever and wise. They are smaller than some races, but are unusually quick for their size, which helps make up for their relative fragility.

They are most at home in woodland and forests, rarely living in towns or cities, but they do sometimes come to such place to learn magic or trade with other races. Normally they live in small groups or no more than twenty, but sometimes they form small villages.

Type: Humanoid (Fey)
Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan
Traits;
Low-Light Vision
Satyrs can cast Ghost Sound and Dacing Lights at will as spell-like abilities.
+2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Con
Aging;
Adulthood: 35
Middle Age: 70
Old Age: 105
Venerable Age: 140
Maximum Age: +2d35

Centaurs

Centaurs are powerful, wise beings who normally live nomadic lifestyles, hunting and travelling in small familial groups, roaming the plains and forests of the larger islands in the world. They are, like orcs, not common in towns and cities, but they have a more disciplined and organised view of the world than orcs to, which allows those that wish to fit in well in civilisation.

Type: Monstrous Humanoid
Size: Large Quadraped
Base Speed: 60ft
Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan
Traits;
10ft space and 5ft reach
A centaur's hooves can be used as natural weapons (2 hooves, 1d8 slam each)
A centaur is considered mounted for all mechanical purposes
Centaurs use medium weapons rather than large
+2 Str, +2 Wis
Aging;
Adulthood: 50
Middle Age: 100
Old Age: 150
Venerable Age: 200
Maximum Age: +2d50

Merfolk

Merfolk are a happy and playful race, one of the youngest to grace the ocean, a race that evolved in the sea and only developed the ability to venture onto land in recent times. With a lithe, toned humanoid form above the waist and a flowing, glistening tail they are fast and graceful in the water, a beautiful sight to behold. Their ornate fins and colourful skin and scales vary hugely between families, with as many variations as there are species of fish in the sea.

When they leave the water their fins melt into their bodies and their tails split in two to form legs, giving them the appearance of oddly patterned humans with webbed fingers and toes. They often make their homes among the other races along coastlines and rivers, but also have many undersea villages and towns that few outsiders visit.

Type: Humanoid (Aquatic)
Automatic Languages: Common, Aquan
Traits;
Low-Light Vision
Swim Speed 30 ft
+10 racial bonus on all Swim checks, ability to take 10 on Swim checks even if rushed or threatened, ability to use the run action while swimming
Ability to breathe both water and air
+2 Dex, +2 Cha
Aging;
Adulthood: 25
Middle Age: 50
Old Age: 75
Venerable Age: 100
Maximum Age: +2d25

Naga

The naga are widely acknowledged to be the oldest of all the races that live on the ocean. From the waist up they look similar to humans, but they have a serpentine race to their features that humans lack. Rather than legs, naga posses long, powerful tails that account for easily three quarters of their size, making them little smaller than centaurs and considerable heavier. They have thick, curved horns and colourful, patterned skin and scales that rival the merfolk in both spectacle and variation, and they tend to wear few clothes, often little more than a loincloth and letting the tropical sun keep them warm. They are one of the most openly affectionate and caring races, valuing physical contact and placing love and family above all things.

Naga possess not only toned, strong bodies, but powerful minds and personalities that make them one of the most capable races. They were the first race to delve into magic and are highly attuned to the arcane arts. While they are warm-blooded they love to bask in the sun and tend to be active and cheerful on overcast days.

Type: Humanoid (Reptilian)
Size: Medium (Quadraped for mechanical purposes)
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic
Traits;
Scent
+2 Natural Armour
+2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha
Level Adjustment: +1
Aging;
Adulthood: 500
Middle Age: 1000
Old Age: 1500
Venerable Age: 2000
Maximum Age: +2d500

Thanks in advance guys! ^^

Lorien077
2009-03-29, 02:37 AM
They all look fine... exempting Naga. Having +2 to everything is pretty bland, and makes for something at least LA2. Even in a high powered game. I'd loose some of the +2s, remember that ten is considered "average". Surely they aren't on average stronger, more agile, healthier, more intelligent, wiser, and more charismatic than most. I'd stick with Cha and Dex, potentially drop the others. Brings out that lithe almost draconic flavor really well.
But take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm no balance expert. :)

Dienekes
2009-03-29, 02:43 AM
Ehh, I have a natural disagreement for anyone who forces humans to have a specific ability modifier.

Myou
2009-03-29, 04:53 AM
They all look fine... exempting Naga. Having +2 to everything is pretty bland, and makes for something at least LA2. Even in a high powered game. I'd loose some of the +2s, remember that ten is considered "average". Surely they aren't on average stronger, more agile, healthier, more intelligent, wiser, and more charismatic than most. I'd stick with Cha and Dex, potentially drop the others. Brings out that lithe almost draconic flavor really well.
But take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm no balance expert. :)

Thanks.

The thing is that someone playing a naga will be a level behind everyone else permanently, are +2 bonuses really that valuable?

Ehh, I have a natural disagreement for anyone who forces humans to have a specific ability modifier.

Hmmm, I did not expect that. You think they shouldn't have any ability mods?

Myou
2009-03-29, 05:57 AM
I've now removed the naga's str bonus, and improved the other races slightly, does that make it seem fairer?

I'd like, as Lorien077 suggested, to play up the lithe and charismatic side of the naga, but Merfolk have that covered, so for naga I'm going for something more akin to the first sentient race, longer lives and more powerful (which explains how the other races caught up), but also slower to progress. Ths the LA +1.

Anyway, more comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated!

ericgrau
2009-03-29, 05:21 PM
Being able to act freely in a grapple is too powerful. Most grapple focused tactics deal much less damage than normal. Being able to both disable or at least half-disable a foe while fighting freely yourself is too much.

Merfolk seem a bit too weak and situational. I'd trade water breathing for lack of other special abilities, rather than lack of stats.

Other races seem to kinda pigeonhole people into classes, but whatever.

Myou
2009-03-30, 03:16 AM
Being able to act freely in a grapple is too powerful. Most grapple focused tactics deal much less damage than normal. Being able to both disable or at least half-disable a foe while fighting freely yourself is too much.

Merfolk seem a bit too weak and situational. I'd trade water breathing for lack of other special abilities, rather than lack of stats.

Other races seem to kinda pigeonhole people into classes, but whatever.

Hmmm, well, I put that in because it made sense that they would be able to, do others agree it's overpowered?

I guess taking off their Str penalty would be fine. :3

Pigeonhole how? o.o

Lappy9000
2009-03-30, 09:48 AM
Hmmm, I did not expect that. You think they shouldn't have any ability mods?I think he was going for the idea that humans often get a +2 Ability bonus to one ability of choice to further the idea of their versatility.

I'm assuming you're changing the fluff on nagas greatly, since they normally are snake-like aberrations.
Orcs are large? Some may feel that you're opening a rather nasty can of worms with that decision (all the benefits of being large, I assume?).
Any reason why kobolds move slower? Gnomes look like a halfling/gnome gestalt. Intentional, I assume?

Adding in fluff can really help to clarify some of the decisions that you've made for the races. Also, as of right now, most of the changes are fairly bland (I realize that the core races are bland by their very nature). Think you could add in a little to spice things up?

Myou
2009-03-30, 01:52 PM
I think he was going for the idea that humans often get a +2 Ability bonus to one ability of choice to further the idea of their versatility.

Oooh, cool, I love that! :O

I'm assuming you're changing the fluff on nagas greatly, since they normally are snake-like aberrations.
Orcs are large? Some may feel that you're opening a rather nasty can of worms with that decision (all the benefits of being large, I assume?).
Any reason why kobolds move slower? Gnomes look like a halfling/gnome gestalt. Intentional, I assume?

Adding in fluff can really help to clarify some of the decisions that you've made for the races. Also, as of right now, most of the changes are fairly bland (I realize that the core races are bland by their very nature). Think you could add in a little to spice things up?

1. Well, they're human from the waist up, snake from the legs down.
2. Yes. I am wondering what people think of that, I think they balance out but I'm not an expert.
3. Kobolds are basically tough and well built like dwarves, but moreso.

Hmmm, that's a good idea!
I don't have hard text on the fluff, just thoughts, but I shall endeavour to write it up. :3

Thanks for the feeback, keep it coming everyone! ^^

Ascension
2009-03-30, 02:16 PM
I would argue that 20 as the adult age for humans does not accurately reflect the semi-medieval society that most fantasy settings assume. In fact, it doesn't reflect modern American society, with legal adulthood falling at age 18. Now if humans in your setting regularly live to Old or Venerable, things may be different, but I would imagine few humans live past Middle Age, if that.

I don't understand why Gnomes have a Con penalty instead of a Strength penalty.

Myou
2009-03-30, 05:46 PM
Ok, the races are all fluffed out! :3

I would argue that 20 as the adult age for humans does not accurately reflect the semi-medieval society that most fantasy settings assume. In fact, it doesn't reflect modern American society, with legal adulthood falling at age 18. Now if humans in your setting regularly live to Old or Venerable, things may be different, but I would imagine few humans live past Middle Age, if that.

I don't understand why Gnomes have a Con penalty instead of a Strength penalty.

Well, actually, in my opinion people don't reach maturity until their twenties.

In my setting races will normally reach old and a good few venerable. Without disease or accident they would actually reach their individual maximum ages, but old people fall victim to illnes and frailty more easily. Still diseases are rarer and it's a relatively high magic setting.

So a human who doesn't meet with any untimely accidents can expect to live between 60 and 100 years. Between 80 and 100 if he doesn't get ill with age. :3

Gnomes have that penalty because they have slight builds and can't take damage. I would give them a str penalty too, but that would reduce their flexability and make them pretty useless for anything but casters.

As it is they rely on their wits and reflexes to survive, they're great at avoiding danger, not so good at shrugging attacks off. ^^

ericgrau
2009-03-30, 10:24 PM
Hmmm, well, I put that in because it made sense that they would be able to, do others agree it's overpowered?

I guess taking off their Str penalty would be fine. :3

Pigeonhole how? o.o

1. This is the kinda thing that doesn't get noticed until it gets abused, since most people don't understand grappling too well. Basically unarmed damage deals 1d2 for most characters, and their only other option is to fight with a singe light weapon (can't use second hand) at a -4 penalty. The naga OTOH could fight 2 handed or etc. if he wanted.

2. Ya, that seems to roughly match the other classes.

3. I had a big long post on this but it went overboard and I cut it all out. Basically a lot of people playing a caster instantly go for something with the right mental stat. See: grey elf. Likewise 1 or 2 others seemed like the automatic fighter/barbarian/monk choice for being purely physical. But like I said I wrote way more than this issue is worth and I don't want to make you redo a bunch of details on every single class. Don't worry about it.

Myou
2009-03-31, 04:29 AM
1. This is the kinda thing that doesn't get noticed until it gets abused, since most people don't understand grappling too well. Basically unarmed damage deals 1d2 for most characters, and their only other option is to fight with a singe light weapon (can't use second hand) at a -4 penalty. The naga OTOH could fight 2 handed or etc. if he wanted.

2. Ya, that seems to roughly match the other classes.

3. I had a big long post on this but it went overboard and I cut it all out. Basically a lot of people playing a caster instantly go for something with the right mental stat. See: grey elf. Likewise 1 or 2 others seemed like the automatic fighter/barbarian/monk choice for being purely physical. But like I said I wrote way more than this issue is worth and I don't want to make you redo a bunch of details on every single class. Don't worry about it.

1. Ahhh, I see. You think that they shouldn't have that ability?
It makes sense to me that they would have it, but it it overpowers them then it's out.

2. Great! ^^

3. Ahhh, I see. I did spend time thinking about that myself, I had hoped I hadn't made any one choice the clear winner for each class. ^^;
Thanks for not wanting me to redo everything. XD

Myou
2009-04-03, 10:21 AM
I'm still looking for feedback. :3

DracoDei
2009-04-03, 10:34 PM
It is 1d4, not 1d2 for grappling damage for characters. Also, I would allow the naga to fight normally, but be GREATLY slowed in movement while holding someone in their coils, if I allowed movement at all.

Myou
2009-04-04, 05:07 AM
It is 1d4, not 1d2 for grappling damage for characters. Also, I would allow the naga to fight normally, but be GREATLY slowed in movement while holding someone in their coils, if I allowed movement at all.
Oh, that's a good idea! ^^

AgentPaper
2009-04-04, 07:40 AM
Just a flat bonus to grapple checks seems like the best idea. I mean, how long are their "tails"? Long enough to wrap around a person enough times to cover most of their body? If not, then they still need to use at least one hand to hold their opponent, and their "tail" can at best hold their legs better than someone with legs could.

Mystic Muse
2009-04-04, 08:26 AM
Naga shouldn't have so many plusses. there's a reason you only get +1 to two ability scores once every 4 levels. Naga just needs to be weakened a bit as compared with other races. a lot fo your players are probably going to be choosing them just due to the insane bonuses they get and they don't seem to have any penalties.

on an unrelated not I wonder what a d500 looks like and MAN nagas live a long time.

Myou
2009-04-04, 09:35 AM
Just a flat bonus to grapple checks seems like the best idea. I mean, how long are their "tails"? Long enough to wrap around a person enough times to cover most of their body? If not, then they still need to use at least one hand to hold their opponent, and their "tail" can at best hold their legs better than someone with legs could.

They're long and thick enough to completly trap a normal medium creature, so for larger creatures they have to use their hands and grapple normally, but for smaller ones they find grappling fairly easy.

Naga shouldn't have so many plusses. there's a reason you only get +1 to two ability scores once every 4 levels. Naga just needs to be weakened a bit as compared with other races. a lot fo your players are probably going to be choosing them just due to the insane bonuses they get and they don't seem to have any penalties.

on an unrelated not I wonder what a d500 looks like and MAN nagas live a long time.

Well, actually, in this setting +1 LA is a heavy burden and can't be bought off, so I think their plusses are justified. And small bonuses to many stats aren't that powerful, because no class relies on all stats equally, almost all classes (especially good ones) rely only on a few key abilities.

I imagine it to be very like a golf ball, but the size of a melon. xD
I suggest using 5d100s or an electronic dice roller.

DracoDei
2009-04-04, 01:21 PM
I suggest using 5d100s or an electronic dice roller.
I am going to assume that you weren't awake when you typed this or something:
5d100 =/= 1d500
((1d5-1)*100)+1d100 = 1d500
1d5 = 1d6 and keep rerolling until you get something other than a 6.

Myou
2009-04-04, 01:54 PM
I am going to assume that you weren't awake when you typed this or something:
5d100 =/= 1d500
((1d5-1)*100)+1d100 = 1d500
1d5 = 1d6 and keep rerolling until you get something other than a 6.

Ugh, yeah, sorry. ^^;

Devils_Advocate
2009-04-04, 02:18 PM
Kobolds suffer from the "monk problem": Trading in offense for defense can make outlasting your opponent a viable path to victory... in a one-on-one fight. But if you team up with some high-offense, low-defense folks, they may be legitimately annoyed that they do the work of bringing down the bad guys while you're busy not getting hurt.

I think it really is pretty situational whether +2 to all ability scores is better than a level. A whole lot of the things that the increased scores give you +1 to are things that you'd get +1 to from another level, or don't really matter all that much. (E.g. +1 to all of your untrained skill checks is really not all that helpful.) Add in the loss of actual class features, and it seems like a fair trade to me.

Am I missing something, or do dwarves pretty much just suck?

3. Ahhh, I see. I did spend time thinking about that myself, I had hoped I hadn't made any one choice the clear winner for each class. ^^;
Well, each class can be built in several directions, but several races do at least suggest a few particular possible roles:

Elf: Stealthy scout (Rogue, Ranger, Scout, Ninja)
Gnome: Int-based caster and/or Skill monkey (Psion, Wizard, Archivist, Artificer, Beguiler, Factotum, Rogue, Scout)
Orc: Big dumb battlefield control melee dude (Barbarian, Fighter)
Centaur: Full attacker, Charger and/or Clericzilla (Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, Psychic Warrior, Cleric)
Aasimar: Holy warrior (Cleric, Paladin, Favored Soul)
Merfolk: Sexy spellcaster (Sorcerer, Bard, Beguiler)
Naga: Tank (too many classes to list)

Human is good for anything MAD, but that covers a lot of classes and a lot of roles.

Basically, if you make a race especially good at a few things... it'll be especially good at those few things, and relatively poor at other things. Frankly, the other major alternatives would seem to be to (1) give each race a bunch of non-synergistic bonuses that really don't tie together in any way, or (2) make bonuses so low-impact that they're basically negligible and race has no real mechanical impact at all.

AgentPaper
2009-04-05, 12:42 AM
I would say go for the 4E approach to racial roles. Leave the ability scores as making you better at certain classes, but then make the racial abilities good for pretty much any class, and then also add race-specific feats that can be used to shore up weaknesses in things. For example elves aren't great fighters, but add a feat or two that are very useful for a fighter, while still thematically appropriate, such as a feat that gives weapon proficiency with all swords and spears, and a bonus to damage or to-hit. Alternatively, just make it so elves can pick to be trained in any one weapon for free, to represent how they have so much time to train, even just as an art.

Myou
2009-04-05, 04:54 AM
Kobolds suffer from the "monk problem": Trading in offense for defense can make outlasting your opponent a viable path to victory... in a one-on-one fight. But if you team up with some high-offense, low-defense folks, they may be legitimately annoyed that they do the work of bringing down the bad guys while you're busy not getting hurt.

Well, Kobolds may not be as offensively powerful, but if you only have one meatshield then they're a pretty great choice since they'll have so much HP and extra AC. They're also very useful for a casting class, since spellcasters are so fragile.

They're situational, but I think they work. Imagine an all-kobold team of crusaders. xD

I think it really is pretty situational whether +2 to all ability scores is better than a level. A whole lot of the things that the increased scores give you +1 to are things that you'd get +1 to from another level, or don't really matter all that much. (E.g. +1 to all of your untrained skill checks is really not all that helpful.) Add in the loss of actual class features, and it seems like a fair trade to me.

I'm glad we agree! ^^

Am I missing something, or do dwarves pretty much just suck?

Uh, I didn't think they do, but maybe I'm wrong.

I thought the bonus against poisons and the free armour proficiency feats made up for the lack of a second ability bonus.

And I thought Toughness made up for any lack of other features.

Did I make a mistake?

Well, each class can be built in several directions, but several races do at least suggest a few particular possible roles:

Elf: Stealthy scout (Rogue, Ranger, Scout, Ninja)
Gnome: Int-based caster and/or Skill monkey (Psion, Wizard, Archivist, Artificer, Beguiler, Factotum, Rogue, Scout)
Orc: Big dumb battlefield control melee dude (Barbarian, Fighter)
Centaur: Full attacker, Charger and/or Clericzilla (Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, Psychic Warrior, Cleric)
Aasimar: Holy warrior (Cleric, Paladin, Favored Soul)
Merfolk: Sexy spellcaster (Sorcerer, Bard, Beguiler)
Naga: Tank (too many classes to list)

Human is good for anything MAD, but that covers a lot of classes and a lot of roles.

Basically, if you make a race especially good at a few things... it'll be especially good at those few things, and relatively poor at other things. Frankly, the other major alternatives would seem to be to (1) give each race a bunch of non-synergistic bonuses that really don't tie together in any way, or (2) make bonuses so low-impact that they're basically negligible and race has no real mechanical impact at all.

Well, this is really what I wanted, each race has things it's good at, but no one race is the only good choice for a class. :3

Like you say, the alternatives to doing that suck. xD

Thanks for the feedback!

I would say go for the 4E approach to racial roles. Leave the ability scores as making you better at certain classes, but then make the racial abilities good for pretty much any class, and then also add race-specific feats that can be used to shore up weaknesses in things. For example elves aren't great fighters, but add a feat or two that are very useful for a fighter, while still thematically appropriate, such as a feat that gives weapon proficiency with all swords and spears, and a bonus to damage or to-hit. Alternatively, just make it so elves can pick to be trained in any one weapon for free, to represent how they have so much time to train, even just as an art.

That does sound useful, but it reflects environment more than genetics, which is something I'm trying to avoid. Really I don't like the idea of race-specific feats and the like, it would be too disruptive.

Also, that would mean changing races in general quite a bit, I'm happy with how they are now so I'd prefer not to do that.

Thank you for the suggestion though!

Myou
2009-04-05, 05:59 AM
I just added new Teifling and Satyr races.

Teiflings are something my player in my solo game requested, and since I have Aasimar it makes sense. ^^

So, how are they, guys? =D

aje8
2009-04-05, 10:21 PM
Very nice races overall, a few suggestions:

Kobold honestly doesn't seem viable as opposed to Orc for a BSF. In fact, for my fighters I would never pick any of your races other than Orc. I think this imbalance is because your WAY undervaluing 10ft reach. Reach is the single most valuable thing for a melee character. It allows him to control battlefield in a way that is otherwise limited to the casters. A character with 20 ft reach and standstill say can stop all the enemies in their tracks. This is why every other Figther you see is a spiked chain one.

To put it another way, if there was a race with 10 ft reach and no ability mods and another one with regular reach and +2 Str and Con, those would be balanced. That's how good reach is. Thus, your Orc has +2 Str, +2 Con, no relevant penalties for a fighter AND 10-ft reach. This is really really good. Get rid of the reach and throw on some minor bonus and he'd be balanced.

In a similair vien, no Wizard or int-based caster will play a non-human in your world. This is because the stats for a wizard are in order:
1. Int
2. Con
3. Dex

You have no race that gets an int bonus without a con penalty. Thus, it's much more beneficial to go human for +2 int no other penalties AND geta free feat then to get the same only tradeing the feat for +2 Dex -2 Con. Switching Gnomes con penalty to Str would fix this... as would a number of other changes but seriously consider it. It's not even close right now, Humans have better Wizard stat mods and a feat.

Myou
2009-04-06, 03:56 AM
Very nice races overall, a few suggestions:

Thank you! ^^

Kobold honestly doesn't seem viable as opposed to Orc for a BSF. In fact, for my fighters I would never pick any of your races other than Orc. I think this imbalance is because your WAY undervaluing 10ft reach. Reach is the single most valuable thing for a melee character. It allows him to control battlefield in a way that is otherwise limited to the casters. A character with 20 ft reach and standstill say can stop all the enemies in their tracks. This is why every other Figther you see is a spiked chain one.

Huh, I thought they weren't bad.

What if I gave them a dex penalty?

To put it another way, if there was a race with 10 ft reach and no ability mods and another one with regular reach and +2 Str and Con, those would be balanced. That's how good reach is. Thus, your Orc has +2 Str, +2 Con, no relevant penalties for a fighter AND 10-ft reach. This is really really good. Get rid of the reach and throw on some minor bonus and he'd be balanced.

In a similair vien, no Wizard or int-based caster will play a non-human in your world. This is because the stats for a wizard are in order:
1. Int
2. Con
3. Dex

You have no race that gets an int bonus without a con penalty. Thus, it's much more beneficial to go human for +2 int no other penalties AND geta free feat then to get the same only tradeing the feat for +2 Dex -2 Con. Switching Gnomes con penalty to Str would fix this... as would a number of other changes but seriously consider it. It's not even close right now, Humans have better Wizard stat mods and a feat.

Uhhhh, Teiflings have +2 int and cha. ^^;

And giving gnomes a str penalty would make them too good, since anyone with high int and dex (and bonuses to saves) is going to be dumping str. Also, since they're tiny and frail they should definitely have a con penalty.

Myou
2009-04-06, 04:35 AM
I've added a clause that Orcs cannot grow larger from Enlerge Person to stop abuse. :3

No huge orcs with crazy reach. xD

Myou
2009-04-08, 04:01 AM
Would anyone care to Bring Up More Points? :3

ericgrau
2009-04-10, 02:40 PM
Grapple damage deals unarmed damage is 1d3 nonlethal or 1d3 lethal with a gauntlet. A spiked gauntlet (1d4) counts as a light weapon not an unarmed attack. Still much less than the potentially 2d6 of a naga, or the ability to TWF or SAB or etc. Since grappling tends to hold both grapplers immobile anyway (barring a standard action and a check to move), forcing a naga still doesn't really change things.

Normally you can grapple using only a limb by taking a -20 penalty, but the target must be 2 sizes smaller than you IIRC. I'd let the naga grapple using only its tail if he wants but at a reduced penalty (less than -20) and allow creatures up to the same size as the naga (but no larger) to be grappled in this way. A strong naga might do 4-8 more points of damage than a light weapon, so that's worth about a -3. There's normally a -4 even for fighting with a light weapon, so that totals to -7. I'd reduce that to -6, and further if you want to give the naga an advantage at the expense of other abilities, to keep it balanced. The naga could also have the ability to grapple normally (using 1 hand and limiting it to a single light weapon) without penalty or perhaps with a small bonus.

Myou
2009-04-11, 04:52 AM
Grapple damage deals unarmed damage is 1d3 nonlethal or 1d3 lethal with a gauntlet. A spiked gauntlet (1d4) counts as a light weapon not an unarmed attack. Still much less than the potentially 2d6 of a naga, or the ability to TWF or SAB or etc. Since grappling tends to hold both grapplers immobile anyway (barring a standard action and a check to move), forcing a naga still doesn't really change things.

Normally you can grapple using only a limb by taking a -20 penalty, but the target must be 2 sizes smaller than you IIRC. I'd let the naga grapple using only its tail if he wants but at a reduced penalty (less than -20) and allow creatures up to the same size as the naga (but no larger) to be grappled in this way. A strong naga might do 4-8 more points of damage than a light weapon, so that's worth about a -3. There's normally a -4 even for fighting with a light weapon, so that totals to -7. I'd reduce that to -6, and further if you want to give the naga an advantage at the expense of other abilities, to keep it balanced. The naga could also have the ability to grapple normally (using 1 hand and limiting it to a single light weapon) without penalty or perhaps with a small bonus.

Hmmm, I'm starting to think that the grappling bonus could just be removed for the sake of simplicity. Since they 'walk' on their tails there is an argument to be made that they wouldn't gain much overall benefit when grappling.

Sorry to decide this after your excellent post! ^^;

TSED
2009-04-11, 06:27 AM
To put it another way, if there was a race with 10 ft reach and no ability mods and another one with regular reach and +2 Str and Con, those would be balanced. That's how good reach is.

I disagree.

I think I'd take reach and no +s over a fighter with +4 str and con, assuming no LA.

At +6 I'd be stopping to think, but seriously, reach is AMAZING.

Just consider this, your base 10' reach orc with a reach weapon.

15' threat. That's three spaces.

Now, using smart feats you can get it up to 20'.

Four squares.

Four squares of death for anything that tries to move or cast. Or... do anything, really.

Throw in some other things like an even modest investment on trip feats and charge feats and your orc fighter will lay waste to anything he gets close to.

There's a feat that increases reach by 5' at the cost of some other feats, I forget what it's called. Something like aberration blood or the like.

Combat reflexes. Mageslayer. Wolf lodge berserker + imp trip.

That's a core fighter with some non-core feats killing basically everything. If he charges you, full attacks, and then takes a five foot step towards you (or just full on charges next to you, if he's spiked chain). You can't do anything in there either. You TRY to charge him? Nope, fail. Assuming decent dex, he's got more attacks than a twp full attack. Wait until he takes the tactical fighter prestige class and gets to make 5' steps with his AoOs. You literally cannot catch him OR get away, unless you're using wizard cheese to give you 50% concealment and flight and DR, but even then that's a really heavy investment just to deal with GETTING AWAY (and charging at that point is pretty dumb). What if he has a caster friend who's got his back? Oh, you've been dispelled. Meet splattery death.

And you said high power game, so it's bound to happen.

Really, reconsider the 10' reach. It's overpowered.

Myou
2009-04-11, 08:27 AM
I disagree.

I think I'd take reach and no +s over a fighter with +4 str and con, assuming no LA.

At +6 I'd be stopping to think, but seriously, reach is AMAZING.

Just consider this, your base 10' reach orc with a reach weapon.

15' threat. That's three spaces.

Now, using smart feats you can get it up to 20'.

Four squares.

Four squares of death for anything that tries to move or cast. Or... do anything, really.

Throw in some other things like an even modest investment on trip feats and charge feats and your orc fighter will lay waste to anything he gets close to.

There's a feat that increases reach by 5' at the cost of some other feats, I forget what it's called. Something like aberration blood or the like.

Combat reflexes. Mageslayer. Wolf lodge berserker + imp trip.

That's a core fighter with some non-core feats killing basically everything. If he charges you, full attacks, and then takes a five foot step towards you (or just full on charges next to you, if he's spiked chain). You can't do anything in there either. You TRY to charge him? Nope, fail. Assuming decent dex, he's got more attacks than a twp full attack. Wait until he takes the tactical fighter prestige class and gets to make 5' steps with his AoOs. You literally cannot catch him OR get away, unless you're using wizard cheese to give you 50% concealment and flight and DR, but even then that's a really heavy investment just to deal with GETTING AWAY (and charging at that point is pretty dumb). What if he has a caster friend who's got his back? Oh, you've been dispelled. Meet splattery death.

And you said high power game, so it's bound to happen.

Really, reconsider the 10' reach. It's overpowered.

Well, I've made a few changes, but to be honest, I've seen you arguing with people in other threads about reach, and your opinion doesn't seem to reflect the overall concensus. No offence.

TSED
2009-04-11, 08:32 AM
Really? I don't think I've ever said anything about reach before. Did I get amnesia?

ericgrau
2009-04-11, 09:29 AM
I don't think monstrous humanoids can be affected by enlarge person, so any normal race with an enlarge person on him gets the same benefit. That's not as good as being big all the time, but if it's really that critical you can blow 500 xp on a permanency (and again if it gets dispelled).

It seems powerful until you fail your trip attempt. Then all those feats are for naught, and additional monsters that try to approach get a +4 cover bonus to AC from the one that's engaging you. Mobility, tumble, and maybe ranged weapons or spells could also work. Not to mention not all rooms are 25 feet across. i.e., it's a real nice trick only when you can use it, and it takes a lot of build focus to get.

Myou
2009-04-11, 10:55 AM
Really? I don't think I've ever said anything about reach before. Did I get amnesia?

Errr, I'm sorry, have I got you confused with someone else? I thought you were one of the main posters in the thread about making an LA 0 large-sized race, where the main arguing was about reach.

I don't think monstrous humanoids can be affected by enlarge person, so any normal race with an enlarge person on him gets the same benefit. That's not as good as being big all the time, but if it's really that critical you can blow 500 xp on a permanency (and again if it gets dispelled).

It seems powerful until you fail your trip attempt. Then all those feats are for naught, and additional monsters that try to approach get a +4 cover bonus to AC from the one that's engaging you. Mobility, tumble, and maybe ranged weapons or spells could also work. Not to mention not all rooms are 25 feet across. i.e., it's a real nice trick only when you can use it, and it takes a lot of build focus to get.

Thank you for summing up what I couldn't really put into words, and your excellent point about permanent enlarge. :3

I just need to make orcs monstrous. ^^

TSED
2009-04-11, 10:09 PM
Ok, so you fail a trip attempt...

Three more to go!

It's not THAT much build focus. It's really only two feats. Three if you count CR which any one with reach should have anyways. (Well, at least if they have a positive dex mod.)

Sure, you've got a ranged weapon. Until he charges you and you cannot attack him with it (provoke AoOs) or get away (provoke AoOs).

Sure, not every place is a 25' room. I wasn't thinking that. Just think of how much of your movement is spent getting hit by him for free, if he gets close. If you run then you're just ASKING to be splattered, too, by the by.

Monstrous Humanoid is a good idea. Another one is to just give him 1 racial HD of monstrous humanoid. That could help. (I'm assuming MH is full bab, and if not, make it so. Then you can, you know, still be full BAB, but you're a level behind CL, or feats, or whatever.

(Oh btw, the reach helps out clerics a ton too. 10' heals or inflicts, hurray!)