PDA

View Full Version : Felix's Epic Road Trip Across America, 2010

Pages : [1] 2

Felixaar
2009-03-26, 07:10 AM
Okay, so I'm planning to make an Epic Road Trip across the United States of America in 2010.

I've set up a Playground PenPal Program (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6026783#post6026783)! Anyone interested in coming along the roadtrip might want to think about joining.

And so far, that sentence is all I've got to show for it.

The plan at the moment is either to buy a car - preferrably a hippie van - and travel around, or alternatively go by good ol' Amtrak.

I'd love to have some playgrounders with me :smallsmile: either as companions, or as people I can visit. Doesn't matter where you live, I'll even consider a foray into Canada if you're cool enough.

As for companions: People who can legally drive the in States would be highly regarded. Am also planning to do some busking along the way, so if you're at all musical, that'd be great. Of course, if you're neither, that's still cool.

So, who would be interested in coming/meeting me in 2010? What time of year is good for you? I was hoping to incorporate GenCon into the plan, but I'll take what I can get.

Oh, and anyone who'd like to discuss things with me via MSN/Yahoo/Skype should send me a PM and state as much.

A list of things!

Felix's Epic Roadtrip: North America, 2010.
Manifesto

Confirmed Travelers
Felix – Navigator and Captain
Anuan – Sidekick

Potential Travelers
(will be added to the To Visit list if they can't travel)
Dallas-Dakota
Wolfbane
Randman_22222
Dragonrider (whether she likes it or not)
loopy
averagejoe
Thufir
Catseye21212
Dispozition
Alleine
Shaye
SweetRein and Phoekun
RabbitHoleLost
cycoris

People To Visit
wxdruid – St. Louis, IL
Cristo Meyers – Chicago, IL
dragonprime – Boston
Bay Area Playgrounders – Berkeley, CA
Mauve Shirt – MD/VA/DC (parents!)
crispydave – Oregon/PAX
Sneak - MD/VA/DC
mercurymaline – Kansas City
Gwyn – Toronto
Recaiden – Texas
deathslayer7 – Vegas
Moff Chumley – NorCal
Syka – Florida
Zeb & Alarra – Baltimore
Skywalker - ???
Pyrian – SoCal
Divine Comedy – Souther Carolina
Occasional Sage - Seattle

Things To Do
Paint up a hippie van (or Land Cruiser...).
Go Camping with Wolfie (and his sister) in MO. Don't get eaten alive by Chiggers.
Hang out with all of the Bay Area Playgrounders again.
Go to Labyrinth Masquerade Ball.
GenCon '10!
Nascrag team at GenCon.
SE Trogland Meet Up.
CTF with Icewalker in Berkeley.
See how many people we can cram into Joe's apartment.
Dye Cristo's hair so he looks more like his avatar.
See little Jared!
Eat at Ihop with Divine Comedy.
New York! Need I say more, eh? Eh?
Eat at Denny's. Somewhere.

Items To Consider
French Road Trip with Jimp
Onstar/AAA
Clean Water, Emergency Food
First Aid Supplies (like, more than chocolate)
Blankets
Cell Phones
Music
Cameras
Weather
Construction

Things To Look For
Drivers!!!

Music
Dallas-Dakota - Keyboard
Dispozition – Guitar/Drums
Dragonrider – Vocals
Randman – Guitar
Alleine - “rusty musical talents”

Cheers,
Felix.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-26, 07:15 AM
Ah, so you finally posted a thread about this?

As some of you may know, I'm planning/hoping to go to GenCon in 2010.

I would like to travel with you but I don't think you'd want a family of four crammed into your van, since they'l most likely not trust me or my own with some dude I met on the net.

And we're gonna stay for atleast a couple of weeks in Trogland, since staying for just one weekend would be silly, even if it is gencon.

Also some cheers,
DD

wxdruid
2009-03-26, 07:35 AM
Let me know if you plan on coming through St Louis, IL. I should still be living here in 2010.

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-26, 07:44 AM
Let me know if you plan on coming through St Louis, IL. I should still be living here in 2010.

...and from there up to Chicago to bother the rest of us, then it's just a short hop back south to Indy for GenCon :smallbiggrin:

We can show you how mind-numbing life in Suburban Chicagoland can really be :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2009-03-26, 07:45 AM
D-D, ah, a kidnapping it is, then.

Druidy, I'll be there :smallsmile:

Cristo, oh boy! Just don't be surpised if I dye your hair red and clothe you in a green jacket to appease my aesthetical side.

DraPrime
2009-03-26, 07:47 AM
I'll probably be around Boston then. Do try to find me if you go there.

UncleWolf
2009-03-26, 08:33 AM
Dude, you gotta visit me. Warrensburg Missouri. Go to the College Campus and if you hold up a sign asking for Wolfbane, I would likely be able to find you. Just make sure you say so ahead of time.

Or instead of the sign, I could always provide which building I am in, but that would take some of the fun out of it.

Cristo Meyers
2009-03-26, 08:43 AM
Cristo, oh boy! Just don't be surpised if I dye your hair red and clothe you in a green jacket to appease my aesthetical side.

I suppose that's better than the alternatives...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/3279918805_eab2cef050_m.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/2900087788_c8a64babed_m.jpg

SilentNight
2009-03-26, 08:58 AM
Whell, if you're around the Bay I'm sure there's quite a few playgrounders here who'd like to see you again.

Mauve Shirt
2009-03-26, 08:59 AM
If you get around MD/VA/DC you should visit me! Well, that's probably out of the question, since my parents wouldn't be very pleased.

Egiam
2009-03-26, 09:16 AM
"Get your kicks, on route 66!" *guitar solo* *bows* :smallbiggrin:

Now I40, I believe.

A hybrid Toyota Highlander is so much more chic for a roadtrip w/ more than 4 people.

EDIT: Oh, and remember to take the laptop into internet cafes along the way. Get yourself some espresso and continue your writing.

More supplies: GPS, Pocketknife, Larrabars, and huggies.

Ashtar
2009-03-26, 09:18 AM
Now for our Psychology on Parents 101 interlude

D-D, you've got a whole year (and more) to get them comfortable to the idea and get to know (and love as we do) Felix. In a year's time, it won't be "random dude on the net", it would be "D-D's penpal since forever" (yeah sure, short term memory parentitis). Just make sure you send some physical letters that parents can see (since email arriving isn't that physical and visible).

Twisted Ashtar mode on: Send a couple of self addressed envelopes to Felix and other people in the world (like me) and get your parents used to you getting snail mail from all over the world. Then they won't freak out when you visit your penpal friends. Most of this incomprehension from parents stem from their lack visual stimuli that comes with recieving email instead of snail mail. It's even better if there's some photos of the person in the letter, so as to be able to show: "That's him/her/it and their Dad/Mum/Cat..".

And now back to our regular programming... Felix's Epic Road Trip Across America

SMEE
2009-03-26, 09:21 AM
I'm not sure where I'll be during 2010, but I'll be at GenCon for sure.

So, if you get to be there, we're sure to meet again Felix. :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2009-03-26, 09:53 AM
In theory, I'd love to join you.
In practice, I have no idea if the cost would be feasible for me or if I'll be doing other stuff next summer or whatever else.

Jack Squat
2009-03-26, 09:59 AM
Two Hippie Vans (http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/1085589277.html) for sale, if you're looking. For the price, one could be used to fix up the other if need be, and you'd still come out ahead.

BTW, you'll have to plan to drop by East TN for the SE Trogland meetup at the very least :smallcool:

Dragonrider
2009-03-26, 10:46 AM
If you get around MD/VA/DC you should visit me! Well, that's probably out of the question, since my parents wouldn't be very pleased.

Pretty much what she said. Though you prolly know that already. :smalltongue:

Jimp
2009-03-26, 11:32 AM
I wish I could go but I'm pretty grounded this year. How about circling France next summer though? :D I have a car sorted and everything, just need people for the trip!

UserClone
2009-03-26, 11:47 AM
Weeeird...and here I am, planning to holiday in Oz...isn't that where you're from, Felix?

Crispy Dave
2009-03-26, 12:53 PM
I would totally like to see you come up to Oregon. Or you could come to PAX and I might be able to see you there.

Sneak
2009-03-26, 01:21 PM
Hey, I had no idea there were this many DC/MD/VAers around here.

Don't think it'd be a good idea for you to visit me, though... :smalltongue:

(Not that you want to anyway. :smalltongue:)

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-26, 01:28 PM
Sneak, if I get around there, I totally want to meet you!

Crispy Dave
2009-03-26, 01:28 PM
I have always wanted to get into a Van with a guy I met on the internet.

Quincunx
2009-03-26, 01:31 PM
Use postcards to establish the trail, too. They're cheaper to send and there's no worry of 'concealed', worrisome messages!

Dragonrider
2009-03-26, 04:41 PM
I would totally like to see you come up to Oregon. Or you could come to PAX and I might be able to see you there.

Other people?

In Oregon cranberry sauce?

Shocking! :smallbiggrin:

Crispy Dave
2009-03-26, 04:44 PM

Other people?

In Oregon cranberry sauce?

Shocking! :smallbiggrin:

I know noone lives up here

Dragonrider
2009-03-26, 05:09 PM
I know noone lives up here

You're telling me! :smalltongue:

Must be the berries...they tend to appear out of the jelly in weird places....

Crispy Dave
2009-03-26, 05:12 PM
You're telling me! :smalltongue:

Must be the berries...they tend to appear out of the jelly in weird places....

but seriously its awesome to have someone in Oregon.

Recaiden
2009-03-27, 08:05 PM
I have had the idea for a few days that it was already 2010. I guess I can't be involved. Still, have a great trip.

GenCon, maybe.

Anuan
2009-03-27, 08:06 PM
Goddamn, so many awesome people in Oregon. I'm coming too, btw. Inheritance yay. GenCon, doubleyay :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

mercurymaline
2009-03-27, 08:12 PM
If only I didn't live in the middle of nowhere. I'd say meet me in Kansas City, but...ew.

Also, where the hell was everybody when I lived in Oregon?

Icewalker
2009-03-27, 08:58 PM
If you intend to drop by the bay area, there are some very possible opportunities for kickass, as I've mentioned to you before.

Namely, we've got our CTF with swords every Sunday, and once per month a larger game with plot etc, although which weekend it is played on isn't determined until about a month before game, and you're probably planning more in advance than that.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-03-27, 10:02 PM
If you want to pop up to Toronto, there's a few of us here. There's me, ZombieRockStar (anyone seen him lately?), and Canadian, and a few others, i believe.

Dragonrider
2009-03-27, 10:36 PM
Also, where the hell was everybody when I lived in Oregon?

I dunno. I've been here six and a half years and ITP more than two. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2009-03-27, 10:57 PM
Well, I fail at basic reading skills. :smallsigh: I don't know where I'll be then. Probably still here in Texas, and I plan to be at GenCon as well. Not too many Playgrounders around here, I don't think.

RS14
2009-03-27, 11:34 PM
The plan at the moment is either to buy a car - preferrably a hippie van - and travel around, or alternatively go by good ol' Amtrak.

Anecdotally, I've heard very poor comments on the safety of the VW Type 2. If you're set on that, at least get one of the later models, like Jack's 1977s.

Also, I can't say I recommend Amtrak. I've not used it much, but it's slow, and hardly competitive with airfare the last time I checked. Plus being able to drive once you're at your destination is nice.

I recommend staying in state/national parks, if you can. They're cool places, and car camping is made easier by having easy access to potable water.

Deathslayer7
2009-03-27, 11:46 PM
Come by Vegas. :smalltongue: Although I couldn't take you anywhere. Would only be 20 in 2010. :smallsigh:

Felixaar
2009-03-28, 01:25 AM
Now for our Psychology on Parents 101 interlude

D-D, you've got a whole year (and more) to get them comfortable to the idea and get to know (and love as we do) Felix. In a year's time, it won't be "random dude on the net", it would be "D-D's penpal since forever" (yeah sure, short term memory parentitis). Just make sure you send some physical letters that parents can see (since email arriving isn't that physical and visible).

Twisted Ashtar mode on: Send a couple of self addressed envelopes to Felix and other people in the world (like me) and get your parents used to you getting snail mail from all over the world. Then they won't freak out when you visit your penpal friends. Most of this incomprehension from parents stem from their lack visual stimuli that comes with recieving email instead of snail mail. It's even better if there's some photos of the person in the letter, so as to be able to show: "That's him/her/it and their Dad/Mum/Cat..".

And now back to our regular programming... Felix's Epic Road Trip Across America

I totally support this idea, and would love to open up some snail-mail contact with any Playgrouinders interested.

Wolfie visit? Sh'yeah right, I'll rope you into coming somehow (you know you want to).

SN, and some people I want to see again, too! :smallbiggrin:

Mauvie, a handsome young male with their daughter? Probably a little confusing. I could feign gay to put them at ease (or write ahead).

Egiam, you mean be one of those guys who only writes in coffee shops? :smalltongue: at least YOU guys get free wireless in a lot of places. Down under we have to pay through the nose (if we're lucky) for it.

SMEE, I'll be there :smallbiggrin: remember to bring your own coffee this time, hee hee.

Thufir would love to have you aboard, man. At the moment I think companions would have to save up around $8,000 AUS, so I don't know how much that is US. I'll be paying for the vehicle - if we use a vehicle - but would expect people to chip in on gas.

Jack, rah, a bit too soon, yet :smalltongue: so cool though. We could have a "boys" van and a "girls" van, and go on a race. And I'll try to attend :smallsmile: but you'd better wear a hawaiian shirt!

Brownie-Cake, oooh, dawlin', I'm gunna talk you into comin' along for the ride if it kils me >D Oh, and just so you know, your vid-linkin' meddlin' has convinced me to make the trips official theme song be "Peace Train".

Sneak, where do you get that idea? :smalltongue: if nothing else, I'll come steal your wit and charm. By aid of a drill.

Quin eek, what experiences have you had with the mail :smallconfused:

Wombat, might be stoppin' through Kansas anyway, man.

Icewalker, shame, but as you said I'll be plannin' further ahead than that. Definetly drop in for a weekend and just hope it hits the right spot. Anything I need to do to prepare, or just turn up?

Gwyn, I'll see what I can do =D depends on how easy it is to cross the border.

Cai, ah, we'll meet and the 'Con, then - or maybe in Texas, only time will tell. I'll be dissapointed if you aren't a giant echidna, though.

Slaya, I'm gunna be nineteen at this point (sweet steve that's old!) so I don't think it makes much of a difference :smallbiggrin: I'd come just to hang with you though.

Jimp, wait, what year are you talking? Cause if I'm free, I'll do my best to be there, bud! Sounds fun.

Woo, this is going to be a lot of fun. I can already tell there will be a lot of busyness. Remeber, this is 2010, so next year, and I don't know WHAT time of year yet. I was thinking Summer (or what you crazy notherners call summer), for GenCon, but to be honest I go to GenCon for the people, not the Con, so if I can meet more people by going at a different time, I'm in.

Oh, and considering: A hippie painted Land Cruiser. Thoughts?

randman22222
2009-03-28, 04:06 AM
I totally support this idea, and would love to open up some snail-mail contact with any Playgrouinders interested.

Wolfie visit? Sh'yeah right, I'll rope you into coming somehow (you know you want to).

SN, and some people I want to see again, too! :smallbiggrin:

Mauvie, a handsome young male with their daughter? Probably a little confusing. I could feign gay to put them at ease (or write ahead).

Egiam, you mean be one of those guys who only writes in coffee shops? :smalltongue: at least YOU guys get free wireless in a lot of places. Down under we have to pay through the nose (if we're lucky) for it.

SMEE, I'll be there :smallbiggrin: remember to bring your own coffee this time, hee hee.

Thufir would love to have you aboard, man. At the moment I think companions would have to save up around $8,000 AUS, so I don't know how much that is US. I'll be paying for the vehicle - if we use a vehicle - but would expect people to chip in on gas.

Jack, rah, a bit too soon, yet :smalltongue: so cool though. We could have a "boys" van and a "girls" van, and go on a race. And I'll try to attend :smallsmile: but you'd better wear a hawaiian shirt!

Brownie-Cake, oooh, dawlin', I'm gunna talk you into comin' along for the ride if it kils me >D Oh, and just so you know, your vid-linkin' meddlin' has convinced me to make the trips official theme song be "Peace Train".

Sneak, where do you get that idea? :smalltongue: if nothing else, I'll come steal your wit and charm. By aid of a drill.

Quin eek, what experiences have you had with the mail :smallconfused:

Wombat, might be stoppin' through Kansas anyway, man.

Icewalker, shame, but as you said I'll be plannin' further ahead than that. Definetly drop in for a weekend and just hope it hits the right spot. Anything I need to do to prepare, or just turn up?

Gwyn, I'll see what I can do =D depends on how easy it is to cross the border.

Cai, ah, we'll meet and the 'Con, then - or maybe in Texas, only time will tell. I'll be dissapointed if you aren't a cat with a sniper rifle though.

Slaya, I'm gunna be nineteen at this point (sweet steve that's old!) so I don't think it makes much of a difference :smallbiggrin: I'd come just to hang with you though.

Jimp, wait, what year are you talking? Cause if I'm free, I'll do my best to be there, bud! Sounds fun.

Woo, this is going to be a lot of fun. I can already tell there will be a lot of busyness. Remeber, this is 2010, so next year, and I don't know WHAT time of year yet. I was thinking Summer (or what you crazy notherners call summer), for GenCon, but to be honest I go to GenCon for the people, not the Con, so if I can meet more people by going at a different time, I'm in.

Oh, and considering: A hippie painted Land Cruiser. Thoughts?

Hippie Land Cruiser... Hmm. :smallconfused:
I'm inclined against, but that's only because everybody and their brother drives a Land Cruiser here. :smalltongue:

I'm 75% sure I can come. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-28, 04:14 AM
8000$ AUSD? :smalleek:

I rather hope thats not each, and/or compensated by me being a kidnappee?

:smalleek:

Felixaar
2009-03-28, 04:46 AM
Hippie Land Cruiser... Hmm. :smallconfused:
I'm inclined against, but that's only because everybody and their brother drives a Land Cruiser here. :smalltongue:

I'm 75% sure I can come. :smallbiggrin:

Ha ha, yeah, well, that's Western Australia for you. Also, good to hear :smallbiggrin:

8000$ AUSD? :smalleek:

I rather hope thats not each, and/or compensated by me being a kidnappee?

:smalleek:

It probably sounds worse in Australian dollars than it really is. You use Euro's in Netherlands, right? It's like, 4200 Euros. Or 5500 USD. That's also including flights, which you probably wont have to pay for, and on a fairly big per-day budget. If you kept it thrifty you could probably go as low as 4000 AUD, but I'll say right now that staying cheap whilst travelling foreign lands - especially America, and especially at GenCon, is more than most will-powers can handle :smallsigh:

Quincunx
2009-03-28, 07:06 AM
Oh no, it's been mostly good experiences with the mail. Postcards make it easier for the sending party to talk with their family about these mysterious matters. Picture this: when we were visiting my family last fall in the U.S., my husband got several postcards and addressed them at the kitchen table.

"Who are those for?" asked my mother, who was picturing acquaintances in our city, perhaps unknown friends who lived in my husband's home country.

"Oh, this one's going to a friend of ours in Australia, this one to Finland, I was going to send one to the Netherlands but I forgot to write down the address in my online notes before we left. . ." (if you're reading this, btw, sorry! it's in the pile on the nightstand! honest!)

Now she'd known intellectually that we weren't quite so bound by proximity--I ran off with a guy from another continent, for pete's sake--but up until that point I think that was still an anomaly to her. Now these people had names and not nicknames, physical reality, even if the messages on the postcards were still full of in-jokes. Because it was a postcard, there was no secrecy--we were not ashamed of anything our friends might do or what we might say to them.

People in my circles have stuffed mixtapes, mix CDs, teabags, regional candies, trinkets and jewelry, and the ubiquitous photos into envelopes alongside the letters, and mailed them for the cost of an ordinary first-class stamp or two. That stamp has a weight allowance--use it! Also, if you do use an envelope, would you consider sending two letters--one to the Playgrounder and one addressed to his-or-her family? The second can be generic, "Hi, my real name is X, I'm Y years old and I live in city Z. I can't meet you in real life, yet, but I'd like to, 'cause friends should know each others' families. . ."

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-28, 07:14 AM
It probably sounds worse in Australian dollars than it really is. You use Euro's in Netherlands, right? It's like, 4200 Euros. Or 5500 USD. That's also including flights, which you probably wont have to pay for, and on a fairly big per-day budget. If you kept it thrifty you could probably go as low as 4000 AUD, but I'll say right now that staying cheap whilst travelling foreign lands - especially America, and especially at GenCon, is more than most will-powers can handle :smallsigh:
That sounds just a tad better.
Also from the Netherlands to Trogland is shorter, so also cheaper?

*mind dazzles of somewhere*

Felixaar
2009-03-28, 08:02 AM
*snip*

Oh, this is all common practice by me, especially writing letters to the recipients families. I love getting to know my friends families - I often end up becoming better friends with my friends parents than I do my friends themselves.

Ho'course, I don't really mail many - or, as yet, any - Playgrounders, even though I've mailed many online freinds in the past. Maybe we should start up some sort of Playground-Pen-Pal network...

D-D, no idea mate, though I guess so. We're not actually that far away though, if I fly from say, Sydney to L.A., it's just a trip straight up.

Anuan
2009-03-28, 08:06 AM
Oh, this is all common practice by me, especially writing letters to the recipients families. I love getting to know my friends families - I often end up becoming better friends with my friends parents than I do my friends themselves.

It's true. He's my parents' favorite son. He's up higher on the Will than I am. It's scary.

Thufir
2009-03-28, 08:16 AM

Apparently 8000 AUD = 3876.52 GBP. Bit expensive.
4000 AUD = 1938.26 GBP. Still a lot, but more reasonable. And I'm good at thrifty.
I may look into costs myself at some point.

Cai, ah, we'll meet and the 'Con, then - or maybe in Texas, only time will tell. I'll be dissapointed if you aren't a cat with a sniper rifle though.

You're thinking of Reinholdt. Recaiden's an echidna.

Felixaar
2009-03-28, 09:38 AM
You saw nothing!

And yeah, look into costs yourself for more accuracy. I'm just spouting random digits.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-03-28, 09:51 AM
2010?

I won't PCS until the end of that year. :smallmad:

Felixaar
2009-03-28, 10:23 AM
H'okay, no more acronyms in this thread. I don't get any of them. Australienne, guys!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-28, 10:24 AM
Damnit, I want mah coffee-drinking military buddy.

Edit :

like the complete lack of financials, and the fact I only have half a bunk bed in the corner of a sixteen-spot hostel room to call my own). But then, then I will wow you all.
I am now pretty curious how Felix will get those 8000$ Aussie dollars.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-03-28, 10:36 AM
PCS = Permenant Change of Station, meaning, basically, when I move/get re-assigned. I'm pretty sure it will be to mississippi when it happens.

As for those Eight Grand AUD: Felix has black marcket connections?:smallconfused:

Egiam
2009-03-28, 11:01 AM

Oh, and remember to take the laptop into internet cafes along the way. Get yourself some espresso and continue your writing.

?.... Did I mention internet usage?

Naw, it jus' looks cool and, I dunno 'bout you, but sometimes it gets my creativity going. All the people and the sounds and the coffee.... Just imagine Aragorn and/or Greedo in the corners... The guy who hasn't bothered to take his jacket off... The group of people in the corner speaking in a foreign language... The girl new on the job... The guy who has been waiting in his chair for two hours... The creepy-lookin' guy who has stared at you for 10 minutes... sometimes I find inspiration.
-Just don't stare at all these people. They don't like it.

By the way, by that time YOU guys might be able to go through some cities with city-wide free wifi. Dayton, Ohio already has a small area downtown covered. Here are some links:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3599176
http://www.wallstreetfighter.com/2008/06/philadelphias-city-wide-free-wi-fi.html
http://consumerist.com/consumer/wifi/la-citywide-free-wifi-by-2009-236566.php
http://gigaom.com/2005/09/30/google-confirms-san-francisco-wifi-plans/
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/04/1733258&from=rss
...and many others. Google it.

Felixaar
2009-03-28, 11:07 AM
D-D, elementary, my dear Watson. Actually, I do have a job, and will soon be moving to spiffier locations.

Than, ah, horseradishes! Sorry mate :smallfrown: guess we cant beat bad luck. Unless you come to Australia.

Egiam heh, that's actually a pretty neat idea. I don't know if it will work for me but it's worth a try.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-03-28, 11:09 AM
Than, ah, horseradishes! Sorry mate :smallfrown: guess we cant beat bad luck. Unless you come to Australia.

For the moment, Melbourne in '09 is looking like a better chance of happening than Athens in [the next two years or so].

averagejoe
2009-03-28, 01:19 PM
Well, you would, of course, be welcome to crash at my place again, and I will hopefully have a much better place by then. Heck, I might even go with you a ways, depending on which direction you plan to go. Of course, this is assuming I'm still living where I'm living in 2010, which I might not be.

Moff Chumley
2009-03-28, 01:34 PM
Come to NorCal! We have lefty elitism cookies! And, this time, I'm going to make it to a meet-up... >.<

Jimp
2009-03-28, 03:32 PM
I meant summer 2010 Felix, which I just realised is what you were talking about. My apologies!

Felixaar
2009-03-29, 01:27 AM
Than >D well, if you do come to Melbourne, you can come and hang with us here :smallbiggrin:

Joe, that'd be pretty sweet. Don't know where we'd be going or what we'd be doing at this point... I'll PM you later on so we can sort things out with a bit more knowledge of the future.

Moff cookies, eh? You know the way to my heart.

Jimp, got any dates set yet? because I might be able to work around it and would love to come :smallsmile:

TFT
2009-03-29, 02:55 AM
Hey, if its summer, I may actually try to join you. I may be able to pull off the whole snail mail idea, and as long as its not when I am in school, I think it would be a unique experience to travel the US, especially with a group of people like the group you probably would get. Plus, it is right after my senior year in high school, so it is the time people usually go on these kinds of trips...

*Planning begins, convincing of self ends*

...That was an open invitation, right? :smalltongue:

Also, I completely support a Playgrounders Pen Pal Group, if someone would set one up.

Jimp
2009-03-29, 10:23 AM
Jimp, got any dates set yet? because I might be able to work around it and would love to come :smallsmile:

Set dates? What nonsense is this :smalltongue: The basic plan is gather up some money and once summer 2010 hits get the car ferry from Ireland to France and hit the roads :smallcool: See where we end up, explore a bit, rock paper scissors to see whether we turn left or right :smalltongue:
The limits are sufficient money (food, petrol, places to sleep), number of people going (max 5, myself included) and which car I'll bring. The car choice kinda depends on the progress I make over the next year on my project car. Presuming I get the essentials of engine, brakes and suspension reworked then the choice will be between my mk5 Golf, small engine, modern, sensible run around, and the project car which is a VW Vento VR6, bit older, more spacious, fast and low:smallcool:
I have yet to proposition my friends with the idea, I'm just tossing it around for now. The cost could be an issue depending on how stable the ferry price remains. Still, I have a whole year to think about it seeing as the only booking issue would be the car ferry.

Syka
2009-03-29, 11:45 AM
As it gets closer, I'll let you know where I am and see if maybe this time around we can work out a meeting. :)

I personally vote you do Amtrak- the train is fun and probably cheaper then renting a car. Unless you can find one to buy for cheap that's reliable.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-29, 11:55 AM
Yeah, if I really go travelling(obviously not including the plane trip here), it'l most likely by train if I have anything to say about it...

Hmmm, yeah, I travel a lot by train...

Also you don't have to have atleast one person awake and with energy with a proper drivers license.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-03-29, 12:55 PM
I apologize, but could someone explain to me where/what exactly is Trogland? I thought it was just the house of somebody named Trog, but now I'm hearing about "Southeast Trogland" and... and... :smallredface:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-29, 02:35 PM
Don't worry, Trogland is just another name for the USA.

Ashtar
2009-03-30, 02:53 AM
Traveling by Train in America is really really uncomfortable when compared to the european train networks. Seriously, if you travel in the states, get a car, rent one or even buy a cheap one and fix it up on the road. Or you could travel using Greyhounds... shudder...

Seriously, a car is really a necessity, otherwise you will find yourself always wanting to go someplace and be really annoyed by the lack of public transportation available. Also, while traveling, having a large boot (trunk) to store your bags in is very nice instead of having them on you all the time.

Otherwise, find a homebase and get bikes. But that does limit you to a shorter range.

Dispozition
2009-03-30, 03:20 AM
While I would love to join you, hauling my ass to America in the first place would probably set me back to much money for me to be able to :<
I might be able to get the money...But I dunno. If there is a spot and I can get comprehensive details, I may join you...I've been planning something like this myself, but nothing past the 'hey, I'd love to see you guys, any chance I might be able to crash if I maybe do it?' stage.

As for busking, I'd be able to. Guitar or drums, I'm cool with either.

@Than: If you come to Melbourne, tell me too...I live there :D

EDIT: Thinking...Maybe PM me your AIM or MSN so we can talk about this more easily?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-30, 03:57 AM
Traveling by Train in America is really really uncomfortable when compared to the european train networks. Seriously, if you travel in the states, get a car, rent one or even buy a cheap one and fix it up on the road. Or you could travel using Greyhounds... shudder...

Seriously, a car is really a necessity, otherwise you will find yourself always wanting to go someplace and be really annoyed by the lack of public transportation available. Also, while traveling, having a large boot (trunk) to store your bags in is very nice instead of having them on you all the time.

Otherwise, find a homebase and get bikes. But that does limit you to a shorter range.
Thenks for the advice. I've become lazy and spoiled, because all the trains on the track I take every day came in new this summer.(N hemisphere)

Alarra
2009-03-30, 08:27 AM
Hey, I had no idea there were this many DC/MD/VAers around here.

Don't think it'd be a good idea for you to visit me, though... :smalltongue:

(Not that you want to anyway. :smalltongue:)
You live in the DC area? How come we haven't gotten together yet? We need to fix this.

Well, we'll be at gencon and also at the Southeast meetup, both of which should be definite stops on your journey. You're of course more than welcome to come visit our place again, assuming that is, that you didn't think the week+ you spent with us last year sucked. :smallwink:

Felixaar
2009-03-30, 10:41 PM
Catseye, it's open :smallbiggrin: where do you live?

Oh, and I'm totally going to start up a Playground Penpal Group now. Just for kicks.

Jimp I like the way you think! Put me down as a "maybe" and I'll try my best to time things so it works out.

I mean, if you're offering :smallredface:

Syka :smallbiggrin: I sure hope so!

On Trains, I went around by train last time and had no real issues with it. Ofcourse, I'm a pretty hardy person, so three-day-long train trips with not entirely comfortable seats on trains that were always running two-three hours late didn't bother me as much as it would. I imagine anyone travelling from Eurasia would get quite a shock (I've heard both Germany and Japan are really good).

Ashtar Greyhound? Pfft! I'd rather dine on mouldy socks.

Diz, well, if you can get the cash together, you're welcome aboard. Theres no real 'cap' for how many people we're taking. Out of curiosity, what's your license status?

'larra, unless the letters "s" and "u" switched meanings with the letters "r" and "o" and no one bothered to tell me, then my week with you guys definitely did not suck.

(read: IT ROCKED!)

And besides, do you really think I'd miss out on the chance to see a little bebbeh?

Oh, and anyone who'd like to discuss things with me via MSN/Yahoo/Skype should send me a PM and state as much.

Occasional Sage
2009-03-30, 10:59 PM
I apologize, but could someone explain to me where/what exactly is Trogland? I thought it was just the house of somebody named Trog, but now I'm hearing about "Southeast Trogland" and... and... :smallredface:

It's a really BIG house, see, and...

Occasional Sage
2009-03-30, 11:04 PM
I'm in Seattle. If you make it this way I'd happily show you the sites (including where to get the best food on whatever your budget is!). The SciFi Museum (attached to the Experience Music Project) is a must-see.

Dispozition
2009-03-30, 11:14 PM
Diz, well, if you can get the cash together, you're welcome aboard. Theres no real 'cap' for how many people we're taking. Out of curiosity, what's your license status?

In the stage of 'if I can get 120 by the end of the year, P's...Right now I'm L's with no hours to my name :<

skywalker
2009-03-31, 01:45 AM
Traveling by Greyhound gets your head chopped off. My mommy promises.

Traveling by train will shock anyone from Europe. It can't compete with planes for cost-to-convenience ratio, likewise with cars. If you can get a cheap car that runs good (which you can in this economy) then go with the car. You'll see more and have more fun.

Not sure where I'll be in summer of 2010 either, but I'll PM you some stuff, and you can look me up (in the event of forum crash, banning, or other issues :smallbiggrin:)

P.S. I hope that's worthy of a grin smiley, and not... Something more ominous...

Alleine
2009-03-31, 02:04 AM
Man Felix, why do you have to do these things before I'm independent? I've actually always dreamed of this sort of thing, but chances are I could neither join you nor meet you due to my mom getting scared witless for my safety(unless I can convince her otherwise), and the fact that if I don't continue my college career I'll end up being shunned by my family for being dumb :smallyuk:
If it were any other way, I would join you in a heartbeat with whatever cash I can muster and my rusty musical talents.

Oh, and you had so better keep a journal of this so I can live it through you and be extremely jealous. :smalltongue:

Anuan
2009-03-31, 04:11 AM
Ahem.
A good, good friend of mine (only person that gets points above Felix) has expressed interest in being our driver. She lives in Oregon. Has a Commander 4wD, so, y'know, plenty of room.

:smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2009-03-31, 04:36 AM
She has? Fo'reals?

Also: Does she mind if we paint it up hippy? :smallconfused:

Dispozition
2009-03-31, 04:57 AM
She has? Fo'reals?

Also: Does she mind if we paint it up hippy? :smallconfused:

And keep a kit in the back >.>
...If only v.v

But painting is essential on a road trip...Gotta get the aussie flag going :P

Anuan
2009-03-31, 04:58 AM
She LOVES that car. I don't think she'd let us paint it hippy.
Maybe, though...

EDIT:ANTI OVER-PATRIOTISM RANT Ew. Painting your country's flag while road-tripping is scary-gross-patriotism. I see people driving around with the southern cross and the '****-off we're full' stickers everywhere. There's a difference between pride and raging your obsession with the land you come from in other people's faces.

The Rose Dragon
2009-03-31, 05:31 AM
I'm in Seattle. If you make it this way I'd happily show you the sites (including where to get the best food on whatever your budget is!). The SciFi Museum (attached to the Experience Music Project) is a must-see.

I'm so coming to crash in your house (and pet the baby).

Ooooh! We can go see the Space Needle together!

Not that you haven't seen it already, but I haven't.

Dispozition
2009-03-31, 05:39 AM
EDIT:ANTI OVER-PATRIOTISM RANT Ew. Painting your country's flag while road-tripping is scary-gross-patriotism. I see people driving around with the southern cross and the '****-off we're full' stickers everywhere. There's a difference between pride and raging your obsession with the land you come from in other people's faces.

Australians are renowned for being somewhat unpatriotic...We take the piss out of ourselves. I'm not very patriotic, I see myself as more of an englishman than an australian. I was suggesting the flag more in jest than with any serious intention to do so...

Anuan
2009-03-31, 06:40 AM
Congratulations on being awesome :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-03-31, 08:50 AM
Hmmm, I must insist on a dutch flag then as well....

>.>

Or atleast a sticker...

loopy
2009-03-31, 09:13 AM
I should come along... I want to visit a new continent while wearing my stylin' hat.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/4/l_a5c0aaf74365466e9b0ec53827561b46.jpg

(It used to be a stylin' turban, but I kept getting pulled over for random security checks)

Jimp
2009-03-31, 09:39 AM
I'm totally offering :smallbiggrin: I'm currently trying to sell my Vento in favour of a B3 Passat saloon that I've spotted for sale. What this means in terms of the road trip: larger car, more comfortable, bigger boot, not as fast, hopefully just as low :smallcool: And if I get a lottery win in the mean time then it will be just as fast, but failing that it will just be comfy :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2009-03-31, 08:52 PM
Sage, sounds awesome, I'll try to be there! I was in Seattle overnight last time, but all I did was have a Barnes and Noble shopping spree then go to the movies. Fun, but not quite the same.

Diz, ah, I see. Don't feel bad, I don't even have my L's yet :smalltongue: long story. I'm not sure if P's qualify you to drive in 'merica, but I'll look into it. Be delighted to have you along either way of course.

Skywalker, dun dun dunn!! Seriously though, I'll make sure to PM you at a later date.

All, don't you have time off college in the summer? And believe me, I'm an expert at convincing older women :smallwink: (Felix's Brain: EWWW!) Anyhow, it would be awesome to have you and your giant mounds of skittles aboard.

Annie, let me talk to her. If otherwise though we can buy a car and just bring her along as a driver (which would probably be ideal anyway, I'd rather be in my own vehicle so I didn't feel all cautious). Also - "Eff-off, we're full" stickers are not patriotic, southern crosses and Australian flags are. Or rather, they aren't, but symbolise patriotism. There's a big difference.

D-D, heh, I like where this is going. I wonder if it would be possible to attatch a series of flag poles to our car...

loopy *snort* nice, I like it. Also, if you could seriously come along, that would be so damned awesome.

Jimp, ha, sweet, good luck with the car swap - well then, put me down as 50/50 and I'll do my best to be there :smallsmile:

UncleWolf
2009-03-31, 08:56 PM
Oh, Felix, depending on the month, you'd have to come out to my Parent's place. I promise I'd warn them ahead of time.

That way they don't shoot you or let the dogs loose on you. :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2009-03-31, 09:04 PM
Funny, I always thought I'd die being shotgunned by a girl's parents.

Sure theres no way you could come along with us, Wolfie? Cause that would be mega-cool.

UncleWolf
2009-03-31, 09:18 PM
Funny, I always thought I'd die being shotgunned by a girl's parents.

Sure theres no way you could come along with us, Wolfie? Cause that would be mega-cool.

Believe me, if I am able to, I will. But its a year from now, so, who knows?

Maybe I'll be the one driving. :smallbiggrin:

And hey, you would be shot by a girl's parents since I have a twin sister. But I wouldn't leave you two alone for a second. :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2009-03-31, 09:32 PM
Believe me, if I am able to, I will. But its a year from now, so, who knows?

Maybe I'll be the one driving. :smallbiggrin:

And hey, you would be shot by a girl's parents since I have a twin sister. But I wouldn't leave you two alone for a second. :smalltongue:

Hey, if she looks anything like you, you've got nothing to worry about :smallwink: [/jerk]

I mean, oh, goodie, everything works out then :smalltongue: I'll make sure to check back with you closer to the time :smallsmile:

UncleWolf
2009-03-31, 09:37 PM
Hey, if she looks anything like you, you've got nothing to worry about :smallwink: [/jerk]

I mean, oh, goodie, everything works out then :smalltongue: I'll make sure to check back with you closer to the time :smallsmile:

Could she rip out your heart? Yes

Would she? Likely

Is the very suave and handsome Wolfbane trying to keep you away from her?

HELL YES!

(For your own safety)
:smalltongue:

Other than that, I will of course try to keep in touch. :smallbiggrin:

Pyrian
2009-03-31, 10:26 PM
Let me know if you're coming by SoCal! There's some cool stuff that happens here in the late spring and early summer, like Comic-Con and the Labyrinth Masquerade.

Felixaar
2009-03-31, 10:46 PM
Wolfie, you're not helping your arguement here, pally. I like strong-willed women.

Pyr ooh, I like this "Labryinth Masquerade" idea. Tell me more.

Divine Comedy
2009-03-31, 10:50 PM
There's a whole ton of playgrounders in SC if you are there. Mostly playing Maid, of all things. We could go eat at I-hop together.

Felixaar
2009-03-31, 10:53 PM
I have been meaning to stuff myself with Pancakes...

But what do you mean by SC? I'm not good with American abbreviations.

Recaiden
2009-03-31, 10:55 PM
I have been meaning to stuff myself with Pancakes...

But what do you mean by SC? I'm not good with American abbreviations.

South Carolina! It's on that east coast place. South of North Carolina. It's less popular in our area than NC, so I don't know as much about it.

Divine Comedy
2009-03-31, 10:57 PM
South Carolina. Although you may not end up anywhere near it, if you did we have 5 different people who all know each other (and some others we haven't met who live near us).

And we're not all illiterate rednecks in the South.

Just most of us.

Pyrian
2009-03-31, 11:00 PM
Pyr ooh, I like this "Labryinth Masquerade" idea. Tell me more.Ah, the Labyrinth Masquerade - often the most fun I have all year. :smallcool: It's an annual two-day long dance-club costume party loosely themed on the movie Labyrinth. It's typically in mid July in Los Angeles. Since 2010 will be it's 13th, it may be particularly spectacular that year!

Enough telling. Now for showing:

Official website: http://www.labyrinthmasquerade.com/

Official 2008 Gallery, with links to previous years: http://www.labyrinthmasquerade.com/gallery/gallery.php?gallery=2008

My 2006 Gallery: http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/Pyrian/Party/2006%20LoJ/

My 2007 Gallery: http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/Pyrian/Party/2007%20LoJ/

Anuan
2009-03-31, 11:05 PM
As far as SoCal goes...That would be awesome :smallbiggrin: Gives me an excuse to meet up with one of my buddies, too.

Felixaar
2009-03-31, 11:11 PM
South Carolina! *face palms* of course. Americans, you have too many states for me to keep track of :smalltongue:

Pyr, woah, that looks awesome! I'm totally in :smallbiggrin:

Innis Cabal
2009-03-31, 11:19 PM
Okay, so I'm planning to make an Epic Road Trip across the United States of America in 2010.

And so far, that sentence is all I've got to show for it.

I'd love to have some playgrounders with me :smallsmile: either as companions, or as people I can visit. Doesn't matter where you live, I'll even consider a foray into Canada if you're cool enough.

As for companions: People who can legally drive the in States would be highly regarded. Am also planning to do some busking along the way, so if you're at all musical, that'd be great. Of course, if you're neither, that's still cool.

So, who would be interested in coming/meeting me in 2010? What time of year is good for you? I was hoping to incorporate GenCon into the plan, but I'll take what I can get.

Cheers,
Felix.

Having done this, and recently for my latest road trip across the U.S (From Akron to Flagstaff this time) I would suggest several things.

1. Rental Car- Its cheaper then buying a car and putting all those miles and strain on a new car. It is currently .90 cents per mile for strain and wear on a car. So consider how many miles you'll be traveling and then look at how much even 2 weeks with a rental car will be.

2. If you don't get where you plan, oh well. Its the fun of the travel. You can always rent a car for longer if you really wanna get where you wanna go.

3. Lodging. Don't plan on it. Most places will be vacant no matter what, and dives are great for road trips and there will ALWAYS be dives to sleep in for a night.

4. Gas, its a bid deal. Have enough money for it.

5. Onstar, or at the very least AAA. Have either. You'll be sorry if you have to hike 100 miles to the nearest hole in the wall for help, which you might not even get.

6. Food, provisions and CLEAN WATER. The latter is a MUST. Always ALWAYS have clean drinkable water. Pre-made food will save on costs in the end, and its better for you as well :smallwink:

7. Blankets, first aid kits and other things of that nature. All of them are big deals. If your going to the west have warm thick blankets just in case. If you are going to the south you might not need them but you can never be to safe. First Aid kits are a must. Always have Purell or something of the like, and a lighter is never a bad idea either.

8. Cell Phones. You'll be hard pressed to find a place that dosn't have reception in some way shape or form here in America. Carry one around, even if its pre-paid. You can never be to careful.

Dragonrider
2009-03-31, 11:37 PM
I'm having JEALOUS feelings atm as a result of REALLY REALLY wanting to be part of this road trip. So, while I make NO PROMISES, I want to find a way to participate. :smallbiggrin: It is, after all, a whole year and a half (well, slightly less) from now. I got time.

Felixaar
2009-04-01, 12:48 AM
Innis, thanks for the tips!

DR, we'll find a way :smallsmile: I'm sure of it.

Innis Cabal
2009-04-01, 12:52 AM
No problem. Having done it a ton, living more or less on the road for work for a year and a half I can tell you its not something you wanna miss. Great fun, great places to see. Never let the end get in the way of the journey.

Dispozition
2009-04-01, 12:58 AM
Diz, ah, I see. Don't feel bad, I don't even have my L's yet :smalltongue: long story. I'm not sure if P's qualify you to drive in 'merica, but I'll look into it. Be delighted to have you along either way of course.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure that you'd need a full license. I doubt I'd even have my Ps though...I'm yet to ever drive a car even though it's my 18th in less than 2 months >.<

Alleine
2009-04-01, 01:04 AM
All, don't you have time off college in the summer? And believe me, I'm an expert at convincing older women :smallwink: (Felix's Brain: EWWW!) Anyhow, it would be awesome to have you and your giant mounds of skittles aboard.

Oh right, summer! Heh, whoops. Well, chances are I'd have to have a job :/
I'll need one this summer or else all hell will break loose upon me. Hmm, it is entirely possible that this will get me motivated enough to find a job even in this economy so that I'll have some money and a greater chance at joining. Did I mention a road trip has pretty much been my lifelong dream?

Also, Pyrian lives in SoCal?!? Why wasn't I notified of this?

Occasional Sage
2009-04-01, 01:10 AM
Random advise/suggestion:

If you make it as far as Seattle, make sure you stop in Portland, Oregon as well. It's about three, maybe three-and-a-half hours south of here and has some great features. Chief among them, as far as most geeks would be concerned, are the Japanese Gardens (http://www.japanesegarden.com/) (consistently in the Top Three Outside of the Home Islands) and Powell's Books (http://powells.com/) (50K+ square feet of new and used books, including volumes like a 1st edition Hobbit, a 1775 Act of Parliament that directly led to the Revolutionary War, and a scifi/fantasy section large enough to get lost in).

My family is down in PDX so I'm there regularly; both of those are guaranteed stops for me.

Felixaar
2009-04-01, 01:25 AM
Innis, so very true.

Diz, ha, same case here mate.

All, yeah! come on, you know you can do it! Heck, I got a job in this economy, surely you can.

Sage, ooh, I like it. I wanted to go to Portland again - have you been to the Pirate Store?

Pyrian
2009-04-01, 01:28 AM
Also, Pyrian lives in SoCal?!? Why wasn't I notified of this?You were (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5649443&postcount=54). :smallcool:

Innis Cabal
2009-04-01, 02:00 AM
Some more stuff, not 100% important, but good to remember.

Music. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more nightmarish then finding yourself in the middle of Kansas or Nebraska with only the sound of the road and wind. Bring batteries, i-pods, every CD you can manage to fit into what ever else your taking. You'll be thankful for every single one you have.

Another suggestion, there are plenty of products that allow i-pods to be connected to the car itself. Don't get any that work through the radio, other then that...do some search's around, i'll try to find the one I own, it works great and has a good range so anyone in a small to medium car can take the i-pod should the front people fall asleep on you.

Camera's: Photos are important. Bring lots of camera's. Take multiple pictures as often as you can. Don't be adverse to just...stopping and getting out of the car and snapping a couple off. Disposable camera's arn't awful. Your not there to take showcase pictures after all. If you manage to get a couple great! But the most important thing is to have something you can look at and remember. In your case this is a big deal. Do not forget pictures.

Edit: Major thing I forgot, sorry. The weather and construction. ALWAYS keep an eye on it, its literaly a matter of life or death. I don't mean it to be a joke or even a small embelishment. The weather during the summer of the U.S can be...rough, deadly even. If your on the road and a tornado hits your in serious trouble. Construction isn't as bad to your health but it can and will cause problems. Driving through its rough, road closings are even worse.

Felixaar
2009-04-03, 09:47 PM
That'd be a way to spice up the trip, a ride on down Tornado Alley.... maybe nto :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-03, 09:52 PM
That'd be a way to spice up the trip, a ride on down Tornado Alley.... maybe nto :smalltongue:

I can see it now: Felix in the driver's seat, another 'Grounder in the passenger seat, it's storming like Zeus himself is throwing a temper tantrum outside, when the passenger points out the window at a cow caught in the tornado winds...

"Cow..."

*moooooooooo*

Innis Cabal
2009-04-03, 09:56 PM

Its as much fun as how far away you are from the tornado itself. The level of fun drops sharply the closer the twister gets to you. But it is something you'll be dealing with down there if you do end up around that area, as summer is a pretty rough time here in the States.

UncleWolf
2009-04-03, 10:00 PM
I can see it now: Felix in the driver's seat, another 'Grounder in the passenger seat, it's storming like Zeus himself is throwing a temper tantrum outside, when the passenger points out the window at a cow caught in the tornado winds...

"Cow..."

*moooooooooo*

Hehe, I could see myself in the passenger seat.

mercurymaline
2009-04-03, 10:02 PM
Some more stuff, not 100% important, but good to remember.

Music. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more nightmarish then finding yourself in the middle of Kansas or Nebraska with only the sound of the road and wind. Bring batteries, i-pods, every CD you can manage to fit into what ever else your taking. You'll be thankful for every single one you have.

Um, we do have radio stations out here. Decent ones, even.

On tornadoes: if one's right on top of you and you haven't noticed, you shouldn't be allowed to drive. The radio stations will let you know, and if the sky's a normal color, you're fine.

Felixaar
2009-04-03, 10:04 PM

"Cow..."

*moooooooooo*

"Wow! Flying cows! America is awesome!"

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-03, 10:06 PM
"Wow! Flying cows! America is awesome!"

"Who's next on the list of Playgrounders to meet?"

"Ummm...Cristo."

"...CRAP!"

Recaiden
2009-04-03, 10:09 PM
Sadly? tornadoes are much less frequent than they appear. But if you're already in tornado alley, there'll be an echidna somewhere about.

Felixaar
2009-04-03, 10:10 PM
"Who's next on the list of Playgrounders to meet?"

"Ummm...Cristo."

"...CRAP!"

"Wow! Flying Cristo! America is awesome!"

"Was it really necessary to strap Fireworks to his back?"

"Awesome!"

In other news: Echidna! Woo!

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-03, 10:11 PM
"Wow! Flying Cristo! America is awesome!"

"Was it really necessary to strap Fireworks to his back?"

"Awesome!"

[Dr Claw]

I'll get you next time Felixaar! NEEEEXXXTTTT TTTTIIIIMMMMMEEEEE!

[/Dr Claw]

Felixaar
2009-04-05, 05:56 AM
*hands on hips and grins heroically*

I look forward to it :smallamused:

wxdruid
2009-04-05, 07:55 AM
That'd be a way to spice up the trip, a ride on down Tornado Alley.... maybe not :smalltongue:

Depends on the time of year and the weather systems forecast in the area...

Felixaar
2009-04-05, 08:23 AM
Ah, befriending a weatherlady. Smartest decision I ever made :smallwink:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-04-05, 08:27 AM
I have a buddy who chases storms. ^.^

Anyway, yeah, it all depends n your system. Listen to the forecaster, I'm just a tech.
/me checks on the ocean

Felixaar
2009-04-05, 11:08 AM
Okay. I've got a handy conpendium here, it's on the OP too. Tell me if anything needs to be changed.

Felix's Epic Roadtrip: North America, 2010.
Manifesto

Confirmed Travelers
Felix – Navigator and Captain
Anuan – Sidekick

Potential Travelers
(will be added to the To Visit list if they can't travel)
Dallas-Dakota
Wolfbane
Randman_22222
Dragonrider (whether she likes it or not)
loopy
averagejoe
Thufir
Catseye21212
Dispozition
Alleine
Shaye

People To Visit
wxdruid – St. Louis, IL
Cristo Meyers – Chicago, IL
dragonprime – Boston
Bay Area Playgrounders – Berkeley, CA
Mauve Shirt – MD/VA/DC (parents!)
crispydave – Oregon/PAX
Sneak - MD/VA/DC
mercurymaline – Kansas City
Gwyn – Toronto
Recaiden – Texas
deathslayer7 – Vegas
Moff Chumley – NorCal
Syka – Florida
Zeb & Alarra – Baltimore
Skywalker - ???
Pyrian – SoCal
Divine Comedy – Souther Carolina
Occasional Sage - Seattle

Things To Do
Paint up a hippie van (or Land Cruiser...).
Go Camping with Wolfie (and his sister) in MO. Don't get eaten alive by Chiggers.
Hang out with all of the Bay Area Playgrounders again.
Go to Labyrinth Masquerade Ball.
GenCon '10!
Nascrag team at GenCon.
SE Trogland Meet Up.
CTF with Icewalker in Berkeley.
See how many people we can cram into Joe's apartment.
Dye Cristo's hair so he looks more like his avatar.
See little Jared!
Eat at Ihop with Divine Comedy.
New York! Need I say more, eh? Eh?
Eat at Denny's. Somewhere.

Items To Consider
French Road Trip with Jimp
Onstar/AAA
Clean Water, Emergency Food
First Aid Supplies (like, more than chocolate)
Blankets
Cell Phones
Music
Cameras
Weather
Construction

Things To Look For
Drivers!!!

Music
Dallas-Dakota - Keyboard
Dispozition – Guitar/Drums
Dragonrider – Vocals
Randman – Guitar
Alleine - “rusty musical talents”

Lookin' pretty fun so far!

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-05, 11:32 AM
You'd also have to add a good 12 inches of length to my hair before it could even begin to resemble Nikolai's. :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2009-04-05, 11:44 AM
So, I have to make sure Lady Meyers doesn't let you get it cut... :smallbiggrin:

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-05, 11:49 AM
So, I have to make sure Lady Meyers doesn't let you get it cut... :smallbiggrin:

Let me get it cut? Man, she's the one that'll hold me down and cut it if I don't do it...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-05, 12:19 PM
Did I also mention that my keyboard skills are very, very rusty?

The only one I can play, out of my head, is the beginning of Qonquest of Paradise. I dun' think you want that one.

Felixaar
2009-04-05, 09:05 PM
I can't play anything yet, so you're still a few steps ahead of me :smallcool: Planning to learn either guitar or saxaphone this year - probably guitar so that I can sing at the same time.

mercurymaline
2009-04-05, 09:14 PM
I can't play anything yet, so you're still a few steps ahead of me :smallcool: Planning to learn either guitar or saxaphone this year - probably guitar so that I can sing at the same time.

Boo guitar! Yay saxophone!

Thufir
2009-04-06, 03:58 AM
Saxophone would be more interesting. Y'already got guitar.
Also, I can sing. If required.

Anuan
2009-04-06, 04:16 AM
Ahem. Hanger-on? I prefer the term Sidekick. And cameraman.

Coidzor
2009-04-06, 04:18 AM
Hmm... So you'll be 21 then, yeah?

If so, and you can bear to do it, I'd recommend some of the fine wineries and vineyards in this nation. I hear they're lovely.Some part of me doubts that you'd ever consider visiting a distillery, so I think my state is safely out...

Felixaar
2009-04-06, 04:21 AM
Actually, I'm rather hoping to become passable with both instruments. I'll probably start with guitar though.

Also, I'll change that for you, Annie. Just cause you're special.

randman22222
2009-04-06, 04:26 AM
Actually, I'm rather hoping to become passable with both instruments. I'll probably start with guitar though.

Also, I'll change that for you, Annie. Just cause you're special.

Y'know, I think it's surprisingly likely I can do this thing. :smallsmile:
*Actual smile and happiness in front of monitor from random people on the internet. That doesn't happen often.*

Anuan
2009-04-06, 05:11 AM
You forgot cameraman, felizzard.
Also; yay! randman! Smiles! :smallbiggrin:

randman22222
2009-04-06, 05:12 AM
Also regarding guitar stuffs:

I just found out the strum pattern and chords for "Down Under (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew)". :smallbiggrin:

*Adds that to 'playlist' for road trip.*

Felixaar
2009-04-06, 05:20 AM
You forgot cameraman, felizzard.
Also; yay! randman! Smiles! :smallbiggrin:

I figure we'll all be camerapeeps.

Also, sa-weet, Randy :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-06, 05:21 AM
Nuuuuuuu!

I'm the cameraman.....

Are you planning a education in Photography?(Which has three majors, photography, editor and photographer)

And I've been filming and photographing for over three years now....

Soooo...

Dispozition
2009-04-06, 05:26 AM
I'll be doing the same thing DD...I'm planning on making a career out of photography...So I'll sure as hell be taking photos...

Felixaar
2009-04-06, 05:31 AM
See why I said we should all do it?

Dispozition
2009-04-06, 05:32 AM
See why I said we should all do it?

And I never disagreed :P

randman22222
2009-04-06, 05:41 AM
Some time, we need to do a version of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew). We need to stop in the southwest somewhere, where it's all desert. :smallbiggrin:

If you need explanation for my sudden obsession, it's that my little brother has recently become contagiously obsessed with the song. I caught his obsession. :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2009-04-06, 05:49 AM
Oddly enough, I was going to suggest exaclty the same thing.

I just love the way he hand balls the vegemite sandwich.

randman22222
2009-04-06, 05:53 AM
Oddly enough, I was going to suggest exaclty the same thing.

I just love the way he hand balls the vegemite sandwich.

Yeah, and how it's twice the size of a rugby ball. :smallbiggrin:

Crispy Dave
2009-04-06, 05:24 PM
Felix you should consider making it to PAX in Seattle at the end of the summer. I was planning on attending and making a thread so all playgrounders attending could maybe get together. If you want details PM me your preferred IM software username and I'll chat you up.

Reinboom
2009-04-06, 08:36 PM
Me and Phoe were considering an epic roadtrip this year.
However, I would love to shift it forward for this/be two more wingpeople.
I'll need to talk to Phoe once Phoe gets back, however.

Felixaar
2009-04-07, 12:43 AM
Well. It'd be next year, so you'd be shifting it backward... or would you? I don't know.

But I would luuuurve to have both of you aboard :smallbiggrin: make sure to put Phoe onto this thread, mm?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-07, 12:45 AM
I want to come. Infact, I think I might insist that you let me come :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2009-04-07, 12:51 AM
I kept thinking to myself, Why hasn't RHL posted here yet? She'd be so awesome to have along.

Oh, and you'd totally be welcome :smallbiggrin:

Anuan
2009-04-07, 03:47 AM
Oh, that's awesome. *Wants to meet RHL heaps* :smallbiggrin:

randman22222
2009-04-07, 05:30 AM
I kept thinking to myself, Why hasn't RHL posted here yet? She'd be so awesome to have along.

Oh, and you'd totally be welcome :smallbiggrin:

For my ebil.... somewhat ebil... okay, ordinary planning purposes, I am wondering if you have any dates put together?

Felixaar
2009-04-07, 05:46 AM
No, not yet. I want to wait a little longer and see if we get any more takers, then get a map of the us/canada and start planning. After that I'll put together some oh-so-rudimentary dates. So, should have them by the end of the month, atleast, but they will be subject to change.

Alleine
2009-04-07, 02:21 PM
Wow, that is a biiiig list of possibles!
I just imagined buying a crappy old school bus that will somehow continue working, and loading it with playgrounders. That would be freaking amazing.

Do you know which side of of the U.S. you wanna start on?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-07, 02:24 PM
Yeah, that would be awesome.

We would clear the benches in the back from teh band/music area.

Alleine
2009-04-07, 02:32 PM
The only problem would be driving. While I'm cleared to drive, driving a bus is entirely different than driving a car, or so I presume.

On the subject of drivers, if any of us Californians come along, do not let us near the wheel outside of our state. There's a little thing called the Californian rolling stop that our law enforcement seems to tolerate that others won't... :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2009-04-07, 02:38 PM
The only problem would be driving. While I'm cleared to drive, driving a bus is entirely different than driving a car, or so I presume.

It's a completely different licence.

On the subject of drivers, if any of us Californians come along, do not let us near the wheel outside of our state. There's a little thing called the Californian rolling stop that our law enforcement seems to tolerate that others won't... :smalltongue:

Psh, Illinois they just look for a plate from somewhere that's not Illinois and pull 'em over. If they can't think of a reason between getting out of the squad car and getting to your window, you get a warning.

Dragonrider
2009-04-07, 03:16 PM
I probably won't be able to say definitively whether I'll be able to come for a while. Like, maybe in six months? Right this minute, the idea of my parents allowing me to go on a road trip with a bunch of people I met on the internet (most of them male) is...well, laughable. :smalltongue: But I keep forgetting that by the summer of 2010, I'll have lived on my own for a year and my parents (though I love them dearly) will occupy much less space in my life.

I really want to come. The fact that Felix, Randman, and RHL are all participating...I will be SO JEALOUS of you folks if I can't come! :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-07, 03:31 PM
Soooo many awesome people coming or being visited.....

Have to convince my parents....Maybe if I went earlier, that we'd start at the east coast, and I'd go along till gencon or something and spend the rest with my family....Hmmm

I'l see how much I can convince my parents in the duration of now till then.

Recaiden
2009-04-07, 05:01 PM
About the same as Dri, although 1 year less.

Felixaar
2009-04-07, 11:24 PM
A school bus would be pretty neat, but, as stated, none of us could drive it... (or afford it, probably).

I think we'll need to wait and see about how many people are going to be definitely on the road with us before deciding on our mode of terrestrial transport. At the moment we've got sixteen possible travellers, ranging from "I'll be there!" to "Man, that'd be so awesome. But I..."

I'm going to set up a Playground Pen Pal little thing as soon as I get a solid address (so, probably a few weeks from now). Obviously it'll all be for kicks, but if people want help convincing their parents, it woud probably be a bonus if they saw mail from the other parties (i.e. me), as was suggested by ashtar a few pages back.

Also, I figured we would probably start on the West Side of the US, simply because it's the easiest to get to from Australia, and I think a larger number of our travellers live on that side. Of course, if anyone has any counter arguements, I'd love to hear them.

Zeb The Troll
2009-04-07, 11:41 PM
Pah. I would love to do something like this. Alas, being a career minded adult makes doing something like this nigh impossible. Alarra and I will look forward to seeing those of you that can make it to us though.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-07, 11:49 PM
Sadly then, my family and me will almost certainly like a place to Indianapolis or the east coast. Since I pretty much know I can't convince them to spend the extra money on flying to the west coast and back/drive all the way to Indianapolis/west coast.

BizzaroStormy
2009-04-07, 11:58 PM
Hmm...after reading this and seeing instructions on converting an RV into a pirate ship...I really wish I had the money and the time.

Griever
2009-04-08, 12:07 AM
Should definitely make it down to Texas, although the only people I know that are down here are Recaiden and Mechafox, though... hmmm

Felixaar
2009-04-08, 12:36 AM
Don't worry, DD, we'll sort something out. Like I said, this is all very preliminary.

PJ, you must link me to these instructions.

Zeb, cah-ree-urr? :smalltongue: maybe some day. But you're definitely on the visitin' list. Don't be insulted if we ignore you for Jared, though.

Griever, neat! We'll strut around with horribe texan accents.

TFT
2009-04-08, 01:06 AM
Hmm... I may have some problems...

Well firstly, I need Felixaar's address to start the plan of penpalling to roadtrip plan.

My mom is being very uptight on even being on these boards. I don't think she understands how safe of an environment it is here. Maybe some proof, but I honestly don't know what I would have to do to show her how good this site is. Anyone have any ideas for that? However, since this is 2010, I should be finishing up senior year, so maybe I could plan a "roadtrip for myself"... We'll see.

Quincunx
2009-04-08, 05:36 AM
Speaking of reliability, if you are writing these letters, take a photo of yourself holding the completed and legible letter, and mail it also. At the least, it should assure the viewers that the writer is of the age, gender, and general location he or she claims. Also, it might allay parental fears if they see how bloody young some of you are i.e. true contemporaries of their offspring.

[EDIT: Most of my advice is coming from people having said to me, "Well, why didn't you do X, if you were going to be gallivanting overseas?!" and myself thinking, ". . .er, I suppose that would have been a good idea." On the one hand, it's not well tested. On the other, it's filtered from people who are not accustomed to 'net relationships.]

wxdruid
2009-04-08, 06:02 AM
One note: If you plan on staying at my house. One, my house is already crammed full of stuff, so it'd be the floor anywhere you can find space. Two, I live on an Air Force Base, so everybody that comes would need a form of ID so I can meet you at the gate and sign you on base.

Felixaar
2009-04-08, 06:17 AM
Oooh. There wouldn't be an ish with us being non-US citizens, would there? :smallconfused: and I mean, depending on how many of us their are, we might look a little suspicious. But I'm sure sleeping accom will be no problem in most cases - we'll have plenty of sleeping bags and a few basic matresses for the ladies :smallsmile:

cycoris
2009-04-08, 06:51 AM
*waves*

I want to meet all of you! Well, not DR, I already know her.

Any thoughts on convincing my over-protective Mom to let me hang out with you all instead of going to Europe with her? :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2009-04-08, 06:54 AM
Bring your mum along :smallcool: *hums Sun C79*

Ohh, I cannot express the degree to which I am kidding.

Anyhow.

What time does she have that all planned? We might be able to work around it. Also, do you think your mum would mind penpals? Or will that be blocked by the net of over-protectivity?

randman22222
2009-04-08, 06:55 AM
*waves*

I want to meet all of you! Any thoughts on convincing my over-protective Mom to let me hang out with you all instead of going to Europe with her? :smallbiggrin:

You won't like me much for saying this, but if you haven't been to Europe before, choose Europe. It's incredible. :smalltongue:

Other than that, the best thing is for parents to see other people in person. Paradoxical...

cycoris
2009-04-08, 07:46 AM
Bring your mum along :smallcool: *hums Sun C79*

Ohh, I cannot express the degree to which I am kidding.

Anyhow.

What time does she have that all planned? We might be able to work around it. Also, do you think your mum would mind penpals? Or will that be blocked by the net of over-protectivity?

Um, I don't think that she would mind pen-pals much, and she has met DeeRee, plus, I probably won't be living in her house (which is why she'll be adamant about me spending time with her :smallyuk:, but also means she won't have as much authority over me).

I'll be stuck with her for from June until the end of August.

You won't like me much for saying this, but if you haven't been to Europe before, choose Europe. It's incredible. :smalltongue:

Other than that, the best thing is for parents to see other people in person. Paradoxical...

I actually would choose Europe, if it weren't with my mom. I have no real affection for either of my biological parents, sad though that may be, nor do I like them and enjoy their company at ALL.

So Felix, put me down as a 'if everything goes exactly my way'.

truemane
2009-04-08, 07:59 AM
Hey there. I've been silently (and invisibly) following the general hilarity, and I think this is a great idea. I'm a veteran of many, many (not so epic) road trips and I have to say there's nothing quite the same when you're young and relatively responsibility free.

Anyway. I'm all growed up and have a kid of my own old enough to want to do this with you, but if you happen to wind up across the border and happen to wind up in the little village of Toronto, I'd like to come and see you guys.

I can't offer you accomodations, unfortunately, but I'd love to go hang out, have some eats, tell some stories, etc.

I'll bring Munchkin.

randman22222
2009-04-08, 08:00 AM
Um, I don't think that she would mind pen-pals much, and she has met DeeRee, plus, I probably won't be living in her house (which is why she'll be adamant about me spending time with her :smallyuk:, but also means she won't have as much authority over me).

I'll be stuck with her for from June until the end of August.

I actually would choose Europe, if it weren't with my mom. I have no real affection for either of my biological parents, sad though that may be, nor do I like them and enjoy their company at ALL.

So Felix, put me down as a 'if everything goes exactly my way'.

If that's the case... Well, it's very dependent on whether or not DR comes, I think. Your parents know her; she's most likely the only GitPer you've met IRL.

Felixaar
2009-04-08, 08:09 AM
Rissa, June-August doesn't sound good, but like I said, will do our best to get you included in one way or another :smallsmile: and I'll start mailing you incessantly the moment I get an address.

truemane, you're kids-havin' age? wow! I mean, no offense, I'm just surprised. And that sounds awesome :smallbiggrin: nothin' like hangin' with the vets and tellin' some war stories. Also, I like Munchkin.

Two new items of buisness
1. Could potential travellers please give me a 1-10 rating on the likeliness of them being abe to come?

2. Also for potential travellers - Do you all have passports? Also, what nationality are you (just incase it wasnt obvious already).

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-04-08, 08:21 AM
Man, I'm going to Britain that summer. That sucks, would have been fun. Well, if you pop into Toronto, give me some notice, eh?

Felixaar
2009-04-08, 08:27 AM
I'm not even sure if this will be in Summer. It all depends on peoples schedules. It most likely wil be. How long will you be gone for? - If you have it that well planned, yet...

Dragonrider
2009-04-08, 09:50 AM
1. Could potential travellers please give me a 1-10 rating on the likeliness of them being abe to come?

2. Also for potential travellers - Do you all have passports? Also, what nationality are you (just incase it wasnt obvious already).

1. 4-5

2. Yes.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-08, 10:17 AM
1. 5-6

2. Yep, I think so. Well its a ID card.... So I prolly can't travel outside of the EU with it. And I'm from the Koninkrijk Der Nederlanden.:smallamused:

Alleine
2009-04-08, 11:57 AM

1. A solid 5 for the moment. It will increase or decrease as time goes on.

2. Whoop, nope. I have everything that isn't a passport. Getting a passport by 2010 shouldn't be all that difficult though. Californian is its own nationality :smallcool:

mercurymaline
2009-04-08, 12:01 PM
Aww, I wanna go!

Damn this responsible adultness...

UncleWolf
2009-04-08, 12:05 PM
1) As of this moment, likely a 2, but give me a year to convince my parents.:smallbiggrin:

2)Yes, and while I'd like to think of myself as a man of the world (:smallwink:), I am an American.

Crispy Dave
2009-04-08, 12:41 PM

1.well as for traveling with you that might be difficult for me mabey a 3-4 meeting with you more like a 7-8

2. I wont be crossing the border if there is any traveling involved it would be from Oregon to Seattle.

Thufir
2009-04-08, 12:59 PM
1) Assuming bigger numbers mean more likely... 6-7? It all depends really. On money, timing, organisation...

2) My passport may have expired already, come to think of it. I'll check.
Yeah, it expired in January.

Alarra
2009-04-08, 01:08 PM
*not really a potential traveler, but I'll answer these anyway....*

Likelihood of traveling with you: 0
Likelihood of being at home with plenty of sleeping space, tons of games and a day-trip into DC planned for everyone, when you all decide to stop by and stay with us for however long: 9.9962

I do, however, have a passport. :smallwink:

cycoris
2009-04-08, 06:59 PM
1) As of this moment, likely a 2, but give me a year to convince my parents.:smallbiggrin:

What he said.

I have an American passport that will most likely need pages between now and then. Entering and exiting China takes a whole page every time. [/grumble]

Dispozition
2009-04-08, 08:55 PM

1. 9 if I can get the money, 5 if I need to use my backup plan, 0 if that fails.
2. Australian and British. Australian nationality :D

Recaiden
2009-04-08, 09:22 PM
I'd say 3.8, but that's now.

American.

Felixaar
2009-04-08, 10:49 PM
"3.8"? That's oddly specific.

Oh and for the matter I'm a ten, australian, with a passport. Though I need to update it when I turn eighteen.

Also: Cai? You're interested in travelling? *notes down*

edit: woah, missed a bunch of posts.

Diz, I'll just put you down as a 5 for now.

On the plus side, looks like all our current international travellers like me, Diz and DD will be eligible for the Visa Waiver program - but we'll have to check on that at a later date since they normallly mess it around.

I'm not entirely sure yet whether or not we'll go into Canada, mainly as a time issue - but I'd say it's important for anyone who thinks they'll be with us for that part to get a passport, and it's probably a good idea anyway since a lot of hotels/hostels ask for them.

Also, yaaaay, Day-Trip into DC!

Interesting to get these numbers :smallsmile: we may wind up having waaay more people than we can fit in a car. But we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Dispozition
2009-04-08, 10:54 PM
Oooh, wait, Felix isn't 18 yet? :O I could be other than him ZOMGEHZDFNSD!

Pyrian
2009-04-08, 10:56 PM
"3.8"? That's oddly specific.3 was definitely too low, but 4 was just a bit too high. :smallcool:

Felixaar
2009-04-08, 11:02 PM
Just a leedle :smalltongue:

And I turn eighteen July 1.

Dispozition
2009-04-08, 11:03 PM
Ahahah, like, 32 days then.

Felixaar
2009-04-09, 01:03 AM
May 29? That's the same as my roomate!

Oh no! Diz is secretley my roomate!

My... female... roomate...

Nevermind.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-09, 01:14 AM
1) 7
Its a mite to early to say "OMG, I'll DEF be there", but I'm very minded to go
2) I don't have one, and if the plan is to be crossing into Canada or Mexico, I'll have to drop off at the border.
I'm American, though, so, if we're staying in the US, this is a good-to-go from Rabbit.

>>
And I'm going to bed now like I said I would twenty minutes ago.

Dispozition
2009-04-09, 02:23 AM
May 29? That's the same as my roomate!

Oh no! Diz is secretley my roomate!

My... female... roomate...

Nevermind.

Oshi- Mah secret's out D:

Thufir
2009-04-09, 08:33 AM
On the plus side, looks like all our current international travellers like me, Diz and DD will be eligible for the Visa Waiver program - but we'll have to check on that at a later date since they normallly mess it around.

What is this program?
Also, I forgot about the nationality, I'm english (Though I'm pretty sure you knew that already).

Felixaar
2009-04-10, 02:20 AM
The Visa Wavier Program is basically this neat little deal where if you're a citizen of one of the selected countries, you can come and stay in the United States for three months without needing a Visa - you can't work though, and you must leave at the end of the three months. You used to be able to just turn up, but now you have to get an Electronic Authorisation before then.

Unfortunately, England doesn't appear to be on the list (http://www.immigroup.com/usa-visa-waiver-program.aspx?gclid=CNGBj5_y4pkCFcIvpAodUDQ4RQ), so if you do come you'll probably have to get a Visa. I'd reccomend waiting until you're more sure of whether or not you'll be attending, then contact a good travel agent and ask them what you'll need to do :smallsmile: I'll have a look around the interwebs too and see if I can see anything.

Edit: Huh. England might not have been on that list, biut it is on this one (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp.html). Check out that website and make sure you're following all the requirements, also, you'll probably still want to call a Travel Agent at some point to make sure things are all okay.

Felixaar
2009-04-11, 04:54 AM
Okay lads and ladies, sorry to double post, but a few notices...

1. Can some explain to me what the MD/VA/DC area is? I'm assuming it's like, around Maryland and Washington DC, or is Vancouver + ??? + ???

2. Working on a trip plan. The way I see it, we're basically going to do a full circuit of the United States. Yeah, you heard me :smallamused: I said it'd be epic, huh? More details coming later.

3. We will probably go into Canada at some point, mainly to see Niagra Falls and then swing past Toronto on our way down to GenCon. If anyone is unable to or doesn't want to come on this little sidetrip, you should be able to get a train from New York to Indianapolis, and we'll meet up with you there :smallsmile:

4. Time - we've got a lot to cram into our time frame, which is going to be somewhere between one and two months. Chances are we'll spend atleast one in three days driving, probably more.

5. People - we have a ton of people currently as interested participants. It'd be great if everyone could come a long, but if you can't that's cool too - but I'm going to need an absolute answer probably by March next year. So, you've got plently of time to sort it out before then.

6. Chances are that we'll be starting in late June/early July, and will finish up a week or so after GenCon. Who knows, we might get to celebrate my birthday on the road :smallcool:

7. Still need likeliness rating and knowledge of whether you have a passport from SweetRein, Phoekun, loopy, averagejoe, and Catseye. Also, could everyone state whether or not they will have a valid American Drivers License?

8. I am really honored that so many people trust me enough to say "Yeah, I'd do it!" :smallbiggrin: I promise not to abuse that trust.

So yeah. Will hopefully have a more detailed map the trip plotted in a few weeks time.

If anyone has something they want to do on the road, or has anything at all too say, now is the time to say it.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-11, 05:07 AM
Obviously I don't have a american drivers license...

Maybe we should start on my birthday? 25th of june? That would be cool....

I would probably go along from the south-east coast to Gencon and unknown after that.

Dispozition
2009-04-11, 06:43 AM
Gencon is a must, I would love to see at least one game of ice hockey, maybe more...I can't really think of much else that's a must do for me.

Felixaar
2009-04-11, 06:52 AM
DD, that'd be pretty neat :smallbiggrin:

And yeah, we will definitely be going to GenCon.

Diz, that sounds pretty cool. We might add Baseball and "Football" to the list too.

Also, me, you, Annie, and any other Aussies will have to teach the others the true meaning of football.

Dispozition
2009-04-11, 06:57 AM
I fail epically at AFL, but I suppose I'd still be better than Americans...Ah well. We will have to take a ball over, and probably some cricket gear as well :P

Oh, and I've already seen a 'football' match...They're quite slow and boring...If they cost more than an ice hockey game, I suggest we just see two ice hockey games instead :D

randman22222
2009-04-11, 07:03 AM
From what I can tell, if you are not on a work visa, not a resident, etc. you don't need an American driver's license to drive there. Just don't get any tickets, or it'll be a pain in the arse to clear up. If you're a resident or working, or etc. then you'd need an American license.
This is to the best of my knowledge, which has its fallibilities.

Dispozition
2009-04-11, 07:05 AM
Driving in America would be weird though...Whole other side of the road and different measurement system thing :S

randman22222
2009-04-11, 07:09 AM
Driving in America would be weird though...Whole other side of the road and different measurement system thing :S

Ah yeah... That could be weird. Just look at the numbers though, since everything'll be in miles. The left/right thing could be weird. I remember after coming back from Germany once, to Singapore, and riding in the car with my dad.

"Why are you driving against the traffic?" :smallconfused:
"Oh ****!" :smalleek: :smallredface:

Felixaar
2009-04-11, 07:11 AM
If my memory serves me, you're allowed to drive in the United States for about three months with an international license before you have to get your own - or it might be a year.

But I don't think any of us internationals have full licenses?

Quincunx
2009-04-11, 07:15 AM
Uh. . .guys. . .ice hockey occurs in the _cold_ weather months, and in North America those are the _hot_ weather months. You may be able to watch NHL teams practice at the time the journey is ending, though.

Dispozition
2009-04-11, 07:19 AM
Uh. . .guys. . .ice hockey occurs in the _cold_ weather months, and in North America those are the _hot_ weather months. You may be able to watch NHL teams practice at the time the journey is ending, though.

*head desk*

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-11, 07:20 AM
We euro's will show ya tha true meanin' o'footbal!

After all, ours is the original and best version.:smallamused:

Fredthefighter
2009-04-11, 07:22 AM
We euro's will show ya tha true meanin' o'footbal!

After all, ours is the original and best version.:smallamused:

*Cough*
*Mentions that England invented football*
*Cough*
*Vanishes into the shadows using a smoke pellet*

Dihan
2009-04-11, 07:30 AM
Football? You mean the metrosexual sport?

Rugby is where it's at! :smallbiggrin:

Dispozition
2009-04-11, 07:35 AM
AFL is more manly than Rugby, I'm sorry.

Fredthefighter
2009-04-11, 07:36 AM
Football? You mean the metrosexual sport?

Rugby is where it's at! :smallbiggrin:

I play neither.
My sports are Karate and Swimming (Well, I play Basketball sometimes and I do enjoy Boxing, but Karate and Swimming are the only sports that I am good at)

Dihan
2009-04-11, 07:37 AM
Everything in Australia is more manly than everything elsewhere, anyway. :smalltongue:

Fredthefighter
2009-04-11, 07:40 AM
Everything in Australia is more manly than everything elsewhere, anyway. :smalltongue:

Yeah, they have the world's 9 deadliest animals as well.
They also have Steve Hughes.

Felixaar
2009-04-11, 09:40 AM

Well spoke!

But, better we avoid turning this thread into a sports discussion.

Also... yeah. We should've thought of that. We might be able to work something out though, hopefully. I'll look into it at a later date *adds to list*

Remember people, if you have anything else you want to do, mention it now :smallbiggrin: otherwise I'll give you a stern glare when you say "Oh, Felix..."

randman22222
2009-04-11, 10:34 AM
*Needs to invest in a car-portable iPod dock thingum for this.*

Few people share my music tastes (*Glances in RHL's direction.*), but I care not. You guys shall hear plenty of my music, whether you like it or not. :smalltongue:

@V: Expected. :smallsmile:

Felixaar
2009-04-11, 10:38 AM
Heh, as long as it doesnt contain heavy swearing - with the exception of the Team America theme song - or other offensive stuff, I like pretty much any music :smallbiggrin: but beware Randy, we'll all give as good as we get.

Recaiden
2009-04-11, 10:58 AM

Few people share my music tastes (*Glances in RHL's direction.*), but I care not. You guys shall hear plenty of my music, whether you like it or not. :smalltongue:

I know no one offline who shares my taste in music. Don't worry about it.

Alarra
2009-04-11, 11:00 AM
Okay lads and ladies, sorry to double post, but a few notices...
1. Can some explain to me what the MD/VA/DC area is? I'm assuming it's like, around Maryland and Washington DC, or is Vancouver + ??? + ???

MD/VA/DC area is Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC. DC is a rather small area that, for all intents and purposes, is pretty much in both Maryland and Virginia. So, for example, Zeb and I live in MD, but it's less than an hour away to be in VA and we hang out with people that live there frequently.

As far as starting dates/times....you should really try to make sure you plan things early enough to come to the JC meetup, which will probably be the last weekend in June. It's a fantastically fun time and it would be sad if you all missed out on that.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-11, 05:29 PM

Oh yes. Sting/Coldplay/David Bowie marathon, plzkthx

Recaiden
2009-04-11, 05:58 PM
Oh yes. Sting/Coldplay/David Bowie marathon, plzkthx

Okay, I do know someone with my taste in music. * hugs *

Dispozition
2009-04-11, 06:40 PM
Be forewarned...If my ipod gets to play any of the music, it'll be a mix of classical, indie, electronica, and j-pop :D

Felixaar
2009-04-12, 02:33 AM
MD/VA/DC area is Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC. DC is a rather small area that, for all intents and purposes, is pretty much in both Maryland and Virginia. So, for example, Zeb and I live in MD, but it's less than an hour away to be in VA and we hang out with people that live there frequently.

As far as starting dates/times....you should really try to make sure you plan things early enough to come to the JC meetup, which will probably be the last weekend in June. It's a fantastically fun time and it would be sad if you all missed out on that.

Thanks, 'larra! That clears a bunch of stuff up.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it to JC, but I'd really like to come and will do my best to fit it in somehow... I'm sure we'll work it all together somehow. Probably in a way that involves fire.

Also, nooooooo, Diz, I used to think you were cool! Well, classical is still pretty neat atleast :smallsmile: :smalltongue:

Dispozition
2009-04-12, 08:42 AM
Also, nooooooo, Diz, I used to think you were cool! Well, classical is still pretty neat atleast :smallsmile: :smalltongue:

:O
You did not just bag the classical...THIS MEANS DEATH, BY APOCALYPTICA!!!

Felixaar
2009-04-12, 08:46 AM
Noo, noo, I'm saying Classical is the only good thing on that list :smalltongue:

I'm just messin', btw. Like I said, I enjoy almost all facets of music.

Dispozition
2009-04-12, 08:50 AM
I totally misread, sorry >.<

Felixaar
2009-04-12, 09:16 AM
No worries! :smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2009-04-12, 09:28 AM
For St Louis (if you ever make it here with everywhere else you're planning on going...)

There's the Gateway Arch. (http://www.gatewayarch.com/Arch/index.aspx) You ride up in a little bubble and go all the way to the top of the arch. The Arch is the tallest national monument in the United States at 630 feet; it is the city's best known landmark and a popular tourist attraction.

The St Louis Zoo (http://www.stlzoo.org/). It is free to get in, although if you want to ride the train or there's a few activities you have to pay to do those. Of course you have to buy your own lunch.

If you come at the right time of the year there are baseball games (http://www.azcardinals.com/splash_2009.php).

If you prefer art, we have an Art Museum (http://www.stlouis.art.museum/)

Here are more links (http://www.explorestlouis.com/visitors/25thingsOne.asp?pt=1), and a few more (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2829321-st_louis_things_to_do-i)

TwoBitWriter
2009-04-13, 06:47 PM
If you are ever coming up from Texas or down from Kansas, maybe you would consider stopping by to see me and my lovely wife in Norman, OK.

It's in the dead-center of the state, just a bit south of Oklahoma City.

Felixaar
2009-04-13, 11:38 PM
I'd been thinking: why hasn't Twobit come into this thread yet? Has he no love for us? :smallconfused:

Question answered! :smallbiggrin:

Also, what would peoples thoughts be on visiting the following locales?

The Grand Canyon
Niagra Falls
Mt. Rushmore
Disney World

?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-04-13, 11:39 PM
The only issue I can think of is that Disney is expensive..

Katrascythe
2009-04-13, 11:43 PM
I like the idea of the Grand Canyon. It's one of those places that I've never been that I would kill to go see one day. But only if I had my camera.....

Alarra
2009-04-13, 11:46 PM
Mt. Rushmore is nice and all.....but it's in the middle of nowhere and not really all that exciting. *lived 20 miles from it for 25 years*

Disney World is the funnest place on earth. However, yes...VERY expensive, and to do it right, you need more than a week there.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-13, 11:49 PM
Alarra and Zeb are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy better to visit then Mt. Rushmore.

I don΄t even need personal experience to tell you that.

Alarra
2009-04-13, 11:53 PM
I'm pretty sure they're planning to visit here regardless of whether they go to Mt. Rushmore. :smallwink:

Granted, as far as Mt. Rushmore goes, and with the time frame you're thinking of....if you were to swing by the Black Hills (South Dakota...where Mt. Rushmore is) in early August, usually the week before gencon actually...you could check out the Sturgis Rally, which is really cool actually. It's the largest motorcycle rally in America, I think, maybe the world. Of course, it's insane to visit SD then, and they quadruple the prices of everything....neat to see though.

Felixaar
2009-04-14, 12:17 AM
Yes, we are.

And I'll be honest, main reason for wanting to visit Mt. Rushmore is an attempt to discover the Lost City of Gold.

I kid, I kid.

How expensive is Disney Land? Can someone give me a number?

Alleine
2009-04-14, 12:21 AM
Hey, I have someone we could add to the list of 'must visit'.
Bor! I mean seriously, there's pretty much no way to go through the country visiting playgrounders and not visit him.

Oh and tickets are about 70 USD for a one day visit. Unless we all had the same birthday and went then, in which case its free.

Felixaar
2009-04-14, 12:29 AM
...We could say we're the "born on this day!" club, but I think they'd want to check our passports :smallconfused: :smallannoyed: hmm, okay.

So, how many people would be for it? We'd probably only go on the one day mainly due to time constraints. Of course, we could always have some of us go and people who don't want to hang out elsewhere *shrug*

I'd totally be up for visiting Bor, but he hasn't posted in this thread.

Zeb The Troll
2009-04-14, 01:00 AM
TwoBit, you're in Norman? I went to high school in Noble and the Trollmother (the one who moulded yours truly) still lives there.

*REALLY needs to go back to Noble for a visit sometime*

Troupe at Large - even if you can't make it to the JC meetup (which we, of course, hope that you can) you should probably see about stopping by there anyway (it's about 6 hours from Alarra and me) and shaking hands with the crew there during your trip anyway.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-14, 03:53 AM
Really, really, really, realy want to meet/visit Bor. I doubt the family would allow me to go that far west though.(Including the convincing I΄m going to do between this and next summer)

Felixaar
2009-04-14, 04:48 AM
Well, I sent Bor a PM to see if he's interested.

TwoBitWriter
2009-04-14, 07:25 AM
TwoBit, you're in Norman? I went to high school in Noble and the Trollmother (the one who moulded yours truly) still lives there.

*REALLY needs to go back to Noble for a visit sometime*

Troupe at Large - even if you can't make it to the JC meetup (which we, of course, hope that you can) you should probably see about stopping by there anyway (it's about 6 hours from Alarra and me) and shaking hands with the crew there during your trip anyway.

I think we covered this before, Zeb! :smallwink:

But seriously, drop me a line if you are going to be in Noble anytime. You know that Norman is just a bit up US-77. :smalltongue:

I will also note that I have a car, a driver's license, and a job that gives me lots of vacation time. Maybe I can tag along with the missus, at least to the camping trip in MO! We love camping and outdoorsy type stuff.

I also hope to catch GenCon at least that year.

Alarra
2009-04-14, 07:34 AM
If I remember right, Bor's not far from the grand canyon, so if you're going there, he would be a good stop.

Disneyland and Disneyworld are different places and on different sides of the country. For one day, Disneyland is $94, Disneyworld is $125. At least, if you want to go to more than one park in that one day, which I would recommend, if you only have one day, make the most of it and all that.

InaVegt
2009-04-14, 07:35 AM
If Disney World/Disney Land are anything like Euro Disney, you're better of spending your money elsewhere.

Not. Worth. The. Cost.

Alarra
2009-04-14, 07:45 AM
Eurodisney was an incredible disappointment compared to the american versions.

Felixaar
2009-04-14, 07:47 AM
I'm hearin' a big "NO" on Proposition: Disney World. Maybe we'll just go to the Epcot Centre. Teach you all a lesson.

Zeb The Troll
2009-04-14, 05:21 PM
I think you mean Epcot Center (we're in the US, after all :smallcool:).