PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need mechanics for tossing creatures. Especially halflings and goblins.

newbDM
2009-03-26, 09:31 AM
In one of my groups tossing smaller allies has become a somewhat common occurrence. For my latest kobold PC (may he rest in peace...) it happened nearly every session.

For the most part I believe the DMs guesstimated or simply handwaved how far and how accurate the bigger PCs managed to fling their allies, but since I might be running for them again soon I want to find some constant and reliable mechanics.

One of the players has already stated interest in hammering a spike into the helmet of his mentally disabled goblin follower/servant/slave, and then using him as an improvised ranged weapon, so I am sure this mechanic would come up by the first or second session. I have a feeling the party's poor halfling will benefit/suffer most from this.

Darth Stabber
2009-03-26, 09:43 AM
If the one doing the throwing is large the Hulking Hurler PrC Covers this Idea space to some extent.

newbDM
2009-03-26, 09:45 AM
If the one doing the throwing is large the Hulking Hurler PrC Covers this Idea space to some extent.

What book is that PrC from?

Sadly though, for the most part I believe the tossers will be medium sized. At least that is how it has been so far.

jcsw
2009-03-26, 09:47 AM
Fling Ally Feat, Races of Stone

bosssmiley
2009-03-26, 01:42 PM
Dwarf Tossing as a Weapon

Treat creatures one size smaller as improvised thrown weapons (-4TH) with a range increment of 5' doing bludgeoning damage equal to being kicked by the thrown creature.

Maybe add a chance to knock prone target of equal or lesser size?

hamishspence
2009-03-26, 03:19 PM
Must...resist...urge...to make...innuendos :smallbiggrin:

That said, Races of Stone, for Fling feats, and possibly the Hulking Hurler in Complete Warrior, sound right.

BlueWizard
2009-03-28, 06:32 AM
Unless the person is two sizes bigger I thought this being used to any effectiveness is silly. Seriously, how far do you think you can throw a kid? Ten feet, maybe more if you run... it is funny in gaming concepts, but really why would the fighter throw the little hobbit, when hitting the monster close by would be better.

Baltor
2009-03-28, 07:08 AM
Unless the person is two sizes bigger I thought this being used to any effectiveness is silly. Seriously, how far do you think you can throw a kid? Ten feet, maybe more if you run... it is funny in gaming concepts, but really why would the fighter throw the little hobbit, when hitting the monster close by would be better.

While I admit you could do greater damage as a fighter with your flameing/frost/displaceing/vampiric/holy ax of death/resurection/createundead, but sometimes it is just about haveing fun.
In regards to the how far could you through a little kid question,you would be correct if you or I where the ones doing the throwing because we arer ordinary humans with a D & D strength of approx 10 where as the fighter is usually a hulking superhuman with a strength of 16-20(depending on level).

SydneyLosstarot
2009-03-28, 11:01 AM
there are some rules in Rules of the Game:

Other Options While Pinning an Opponent

Toss Your Foe: Make an opposed grapple check as a melee attack. If you succeed, you can literally pick up your foe (provided you can lift your foe's weight). Make a Strength check; if your result is at least 10, you toss your foe 5 feet. For every 5 points your Strength check result exceeds 10, you toss your foe another 5 feet, to a maximum of 25 feet. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050315a)

Frosty
2009-03-28, 11:56 AM
If you are a Bloodstorm Blade and you fling you ally does he return to you immediately after the attack? :smalltongue:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-28, 12:17 PM
While I admit you could do greater damage as a fighter with your flameing/frost/displaceing/vampiric/holy ax of death/resurection/createundead, but sometimes it is just about haveing fun.
In regards to the how far could you through a little kid question,you would be correct if you or I where the ones doing the throwing because we arer ordinary humans with a D & D strength of approx 10 where as the fighter is usually a hulking superhuman with a strength of 16-20(depending on level).The world record for Dwarf tossing is 11 ft. Until you start hitting 24+ Str, I can't see going past 15'.
If you are a Bloodstorm Blade and you fling you ally does he return to you immediately after the attack? Yes. The real question is whether or not the Halfling gets SA.