PDA

View Full Version : The Seedlings

Obrysii
2009-03-27, 08:42 PM
Seedlings

Said to be the children of the Treants, Seedlings are a far cry from those revered beings. Small plants with a fondness of family, the Seedlings are naive plant beings under the protection of ancient Tree-Giants.

There are two known kinds of Seedlings: the short, shrub or bush-like kind who have no name for their sort, and the taller, tree-like Saplings.

Personality: Inquisitive but family-oriented, the Seedlings have largely ignored the world beyond their gardens; while they have a tendency to do so, Seedlings do not intentionally irritate others with their questions. Animate and active, Seedlings rival only Halflings for their sheer energy and vigor. Saplings tend to be slightly more reserved, but both types are easily manipulated due to to their naive nature.

Physical Description: Seedlings come in two known body types. The small, bush-like kind look almost like a legged face surrounded by a huge mane of leaves: a small face is centered on the apparent body of the plant, and the whole is carried on two thick branch-legs; two more, slender, appendages serve as arms and come out of the sides. The leaves run from bright orange to brilliant green and fade with age. The Saplings are vastly different, with a thin, spindly body, a small head atop crowned in leaves, and stick-like arms and legs. Leaves adorn the arms, and, in spite of their severe gauntness, the Saplings are flexible and stronger than their forms would suggest.

Lands: Seedlings stake no political claim to any land, rather living in hidden and forgotten gardens or maintaining small villages tucked in the thick groves and protected by the Tree-Giants.

Language: Sylvan is the language of the Seedlings, though they learn other languages easily.

Example Names:

Ages: Adult 10 - 40; Middle Age 49 - 69; Old 70 - 99; Venerable 100+; Max age 100 + 1d20

Adventurers: Seedling travelers are rare - but those whose protectors have been slain might more readily leave - seeking out new protectors for their gardens. Arcane casters are extraordinarily rare, while druids and nature clerics are common.

Seedling Racial Traits

The two types of Seedlings share the following traits:
Type: Plant (Mobile)
Unusual Body: Seedlings must have armor custom made, following all the standard rules for such armor, in order to correctly wear it.
+2 racial bonus on Hide checks made in a forest setting
Favored Class: Druid

Shrub-type
Str -2, Con +2
Small-sized
Speed: 20ft.
+2 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to resemble a bush or shrub.
Thick-legged: Shrub-type Seedlings possess thick legs. They can move at their standard speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).

Saplings
Str -2, Dex +2
Medium-sized
Speed: 30ft.
+2 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to resemble a young tree.
Slight Build: The physical stature of Saplings lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a Sapling is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the Sapling is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A Sapling is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A Sapling can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a Sapling remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

New Subtype
Plant (Mobile): Plant creatures with the (Mobile) subtype are those plants that more easily move about, forsaking some of the plant-type's benefits.
Mobile plants must rest or sleep for 8 hours a day, like a Humanoid
Mobile plants must eat, though remaining in sunlight for 4 hours a day negates this need
Mobile plants are not immune to mind-affecting effects.

I have to stat out their protectors yet - but what do you all think?

Pyrusticia
2009-03-28, 04:34 AM
Looks interesting, but I have a few questions:

Do these guys have roots? If so, how are they used? I'm seeing a requirement to root while resting, leading to complications if a seedling finds himself trapped in a stone jail cell, or the like...I'm also seeing the ability to gain resistance to bull rush and the like, if they root first (reduces speed to 0').

Fluff-wise...

Mobile plants must eat, though remaining in sunlight for 4 hours a day negates this need

What do they eat, and how? Do they have mouths in their faces, on the ends of their branches (like venus flytraps), or is it something even weirder, like excreting a digestive juice and absorbing the results?

How do they speak? This ties in with the previous question in that most plants breath through their leaves, not through some 'mouth', so they also wouldn't have vocal cords. Do they have a limited telepathy that allows them to send thoughts? Do they vibrate their leaves to create sound?

The last couple aren't really important to the balance of the races in and of themselves, but answering them helps to color in the picture, and can lead to some interesting rp for your players. Also, depending on the answers, balance questions can be raised (if they don't "speak", does that mean they need to use the Silent Spell feat whenever casting?). Have fun! :smallwink:

Obrysii
2009-03-28, 07:15 AM
Thank you for responding.

Looks interesting, but I have a few questions:

Do these guys have roots? If so, how are they used? I'm seeing a requirement to root while resting, leading to complications if a seedling finds himself trapped in a stone jail cell, or the like...I'm also seeing the ability to gain resistance to bull rush and the like, if they root first (reduces speed to 0').

I did not mention roots, nor did I mention any requirement of needing to root while resting.

What do they eat, and how? Do they have mouths in their faces, on the ends of their branches (like venus flytraps), or is it something even weirder, like excreting a digestive juice and absorbing the results?

How do they speak? This ties in with the previous question in that most plants breath through their leaves, not through some 'mouth', so they also wouldn't have vocal cords. Do they have a limited telepathy that allows them to send thoughts? Do they vibrate their leaves to create sound?

The last couple aren't really important to the balance of the races in and of themselves, but answering them helps to color in the picture, and can lead to some interesting rp for your players. Also, depending on the answers, balance questions can be raised (if they don't "speak", does that mean they need to use the Silent Spell feat whenever casting?). Have fun! :smallwink:

I guess with all of this, I went down the road of assumption that led Tolkien to never exploring the physiology of the Ents, or the designers of D&D from doing the same of Treants and all sorts of other animated plants: these guys just do - they talk. It doesn't have to make sense. It just happens.

That said, having some sort of leaf-vibration based speech generation would be pretty cool. Sadly I haven't much time now to fully flesh out any ideas, but it is worth considering.

Atelm
2009-03-28, 08:56 AM
You could handle the "must eat" bit something like with Twig Blights (Monster Manual II). Twig Blights can sustain themselves entirely through photosynthesis, although most choose not to (instead literally eating). However, Twigh Blights also have roots.

Pyrusticia
2009-03-28, 09:42 AM
I did not mention roots, nor did I mention any requirement of needing to root while resting.

My apologies, I wasn't clear when I made my previous comments. When I said "I'm seeing", I should have said "I'm envisioning". You are quite correct that you didn't say anything about roots, or lack thereof, which is why I asked if they had any. I then continued with some ideas I had along those lines...didn't mean to say that you'd already put any of that in.

I guess with all of this, I went down the road of assumption that led Tolkien to never exploring the physiology of the Ents, or the designers of D&D from doing the same of Treants and all sorts of other animated plants: these guys just do - they talk. It doesn't have to make sense. It just happens.

That said, having some sort of leaf-vibration based speech generation would be pretty cool. Sadly I haven't much time now to fully flesh out any ideas, but it is worth considering.

*heh* Tolkein can get away with that, because he wrote books. As a DM, especially a DM who's introducing a new oddball race (such as mobile plants), you need to be prepared to answer questions, 'cause goodness knows players like to ask'em. If you don't plan this stuff out in advance, that's fine, but be prepared to ad lib as you go along. :smallbiggrin: