Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate fingers, distraction, paralysis
Special Qualities: Blindsense 30 ft., swarm traits, undead traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 20, Con –, Int –, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: –
Feats: –
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, hand (2-4 swamrs), or fist (5-8 swarms)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Advancement: –
Level Adjustment: –

Fingerling Swarms are the creations of mad necromancers, made up from hundreds of animated, severed fingers. A fingerling swarm is a writhing mass of undead fingers, rotted and decaying, all moving in unison. While relatively weak compared to other undead, many mages favor them for their almost unlimited ability to grow by consuming the fingers of those they kill.

Animate Fingers (Su)
As a full-round action, a fingerling swarm may rip the fingers from any dead creature in its space and animate them, adding them to itself and permanently increasing its total hp by one.

Distraction (Ex)
Any living creature that begins its turn with a fingerling swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 13 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Paralysis (Ex)
Those damaged by a fingerling swarm’s swarm attack must succeed on a DC 13 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. Elves have immunity to this paralysis. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Creation
A fingerling swarm can be created by a spellcaster capable of casting Create Undead with a caster level of 12th or higher. Rather than casting the spell on a single corpse, the caster must first sever and collect the fingers of 150 creatures of small or medium size. He must then build a mound from these and cast the spell on it.

Cornugon
2006-08-26, 03:58 PM
For some reason that I can't quite understand...I absolutely and positively love this monster. However, I can imagine a large number of inappropriate comments that could come up at a table when someone gets swarmed by these.....thus making me love it even more.

Although, I think that it should have some form of advancement, as advancement is practically implied in the animate fingers ability.

Any chance you're entering this into the Monsters in the Playground thing?

MitP Vote: Yes!

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-26, 04:03 PM
Regardless of whether he is, MitP Vote: YES!

asromta
2006-08-26, 04:06 PM
Nice thing, imagine having undead decaying fingers all over yourself.

An I will wait with a yes vote, untill it is submitted.

As it has been submitted:

MitP vote: Yes.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-26, 04:12 PM
For some reason that I can't quite understand...I absolutely and positively love this monster. However, I can imagine a large number of inappropriate comments that could come up at a table when someone gets swarmed by these.....thus making me love it even more.

Although, I think that it should have some form of advancement, as advancement is practically implied in the animate fingers ability.

Any chance you're entering this into the Monsters in the Playground thing?
entering it? he has the most monsters submitted right now.

anyway, this thing is creepy and awesome. from now on, I'm sleeping with gloves on. one question: can this thing steal the fingers off a fallen party member? that would pretty much get rid of them as a PC. also, I think it would be cool and kind of nasty if you found a ring on one of the fingers. would that give the whole swarm the power of the ring?

anyway, MitP vote: yes.

The Demented One
2006-08-26, 04:15 PM
entering it? he has the most monsters submitted right now.
I just entered a second wave, including this.

anyway, this thing is creepy and awesome. from now on, I'm sleeping with gloves on. one question: can this thing steal the fingers off a fallen party member? that would pretty much get rid of them as a PC.
Dead creatures only, for exactly that reason.

also, I think it would be cool and kind of nasty if you found a ring on one of the fingers. would that give the whole swarm the power of the ring?
Yes, but it is still limited to the two-ring maximum. Unless you awaken it, and it takes the Extra Rings feat.

Winged One
2006-08-26, 08:37 PM
Well, it's always nice to have monsters with a certain "wtf" factor. MitP vote: yes.

Zeal
2006-08-26, 08:43 PM
:o

bosssmiley
2006-08-27, 05:05 AM
"Agh! Agh! They're poking me in the eye!" ;D

I love this swarm, it's gross and funny in equal measure. I can imagine them being a nightmare for casters to deal with at lower levels too.

*prod* loses spell *prod, prod* keels over paralysed *fingerlings perform wardance on the recumbent form of their enemy* ;D

wippit
2006-08-27, 06:46 AM
MtP vote: Indeed!

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-28, 11:18 PM

I absolutely love it. ;D

LordOfNarf
2006-08-28, 11:27 PM
The only change I could think of would be to specify that each time it rips the fingers off a dead person, I heals it by x (probably 5) hp per hand (don't EVER assume that something only has two hands in D&D) and that any over its hit point total adds as permanent increase in Max HP.

With or without that though MitP Vote: Yes, this is the creepy stuff that makes a game truly memorable.

next time remind me to read the rules more carefully, its too late for me to do the lawerspeak thing, i haven't submitted yet, i'll get around to my mind satteringly weird things sometime tommorow. and then re-validate the vote.

I now am officialy a monster creator, and am elligible to vote

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-28, 11:33 PM
Yeah, for every finger it takes, it not only gains more fingers for the swarm, but lets say it also sucks the life out of them, turning them into undead and healing the swarm as a whole.

MitP vote: yes.

You scare me, DO. First the wombstrangler, then whatever it was that you named the sub-deific wombstrangler, now a swarm of necromantically animated fingers? I'm gonna pray for you later tonight, man. For like two hours.

The Demented One
2006-08-28, 11:38 PM
Yeah, for every finger it takes, it not only gains more fingers for the swarm, but lets say it also sucks the life out of them, turning them into undead and healing the swarm as a whole.

MitP vote: yes.

You scare me, DO. First the wombstrangler, then whatever it was that you named the sub-deific wombstrangler, now a swarm of necromantically animated fingers? I'm gonna pray for you later tonight, man. For like two hours.
Sorry, I'm in the Athar. I can't get any benefits outta prayer.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-29, 02:03 AM
MitP Vote: Yes.

Not much more to say. This thing is 10 fingers of awesome torn off of and reanimated from a five-fingered hand.