PDA

View Full Version : [All] Your favorite monsters

Learnedguy
2009-03-28, 02:45 AM
Alright people, what's your favorite monsters to beat up for exp and glory? Or as a DM, what kind of monster is your very favorite throw at your players when you want them to feel some of that soft delicious pain?

Personally, I'm very fond of the Kobolds. There's something that screams good honest adventuring whenever you see them.

Kol Korran
2009-03-28, 04:58 AM
hhhmmmmm, a monster without a proper context realy isn't an encounter, but as a DM i like:
1- all the monsters on my sig are favorites of mine, especilly because of ther complex fluff and context- they just feel so much realer to the players. i especially like the stone giants for a low-mid level group (because they have to handle superior strength and the complexity of the giants magic and terrain), and the barghest- if handled properly this is a WOnderfull monster!

2- i like the gibbering mouther for terror and weirdness effect, almost never fails.

3- ankhegs: i don't know why, i just like them.

4- insubstantial undead (ghosts, , allips, wraiths & shadows)- both for the horror and for the unique challenge. i prefer to let my players know they are their in advance so they'll try and prepare and devise tactics.

5- bugbears: my favourite humanoid. don't know why, probably because of the face. they are powerfull, but not "ogre powerfull".

6- manticore as mount for a villain.

7- young dragons as recurring characters (not necesserily villains), powerfull, but still carefull and aware of the dangers demihumans sometime confer.

8- Ettins for pure brute force. they often display more savagry then giants.

(i have mostly DMed for groups up to 12-13 level, so most of my chosen monsters are low CR)

those are my choices, from the top of my head, though there are probably more.
Kol.

BobVosh
2009-03-28, 05:25 AM
gelatinous cube- So werid, yes so awesome.

Trolls- All flavors there of

Illithids- Mind eating squid faced future mutants? Perfect.

Goblins- Beautifully Iconic

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-28, 05:32 AM
As far as cannon fodder is concerned, I don't really have a favourite creature due to prefering to mix things up in regards to encounters. If I had to pick a creature, I'd say humans. If I had to pick a type, I'd go with undead due to hating them. I tend not to arrange encounters to punich PCs unless they do something stupid.

From a "which races do I like" perspective, Gnolls, Lupins and Phanatons are some of my favourites because I consider them to be cute. (And I'm a furry anyway so I'm bias in favour of half animal races.)

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-28, 05:42 AM
Illithids- Mind eating squid faced future mutants? Perfect. I concur: there are few things as awesome as the mind eating aliens, but then again most of the main entry abberations of Lords of Madness are damn awesome.

BlueWizard
2009-03-28, 06:24 AM
Illithids... guess I'm not original on this one. :smallannoyed:

mikej
2009-03-28, 07:12 AM
- Shocker Lizard
- Illithid
- War Troll
- Vampire
- Red Dragon

V'icternus
2009-03-28, 07:23 AM
I love killing Kobolds. I don't know if this is just me, or if there is a problem with this, but even at high levels, I think I'd go out of my way to turn some Kobolds into boots, rugs, cloaks, weapons (don't ask), or of course, hats and bowls.

Thane of Fife
2009-03-28, 07:55 AM
Bulette. I can't say why, I just love throwing them at players.

I also like orcs. And bugbears.

bosssmiley
2009-03-28, 09:44 AM
Here ya go (http://vaultsofnagoh.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-ten-favourite-monsters.html)

Pain~less
2009-03-28, 11:59 AM
-Chuul
-All kinds of devils except Kytons
-Kuo-Toa
-Various Shapechanger, mostly Dopplegangers