PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] NEENER! NEENER!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-25, 11:22 PM
Munchkin

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/75/34/22893475.jpg

Small Fey
Hit Dice: 3d6+3 (13 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+3 dex, +1 size), touch 14, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-6
Attack: Sling +6 melee (1d3-1) or club +5 melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Sling +6 melee (1d3-1) or club +5 melee (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blind fury, double dog dare, spell-like abilities, sticks and stones, taunt
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron, low-light vision, sweet tooth
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 19, Wis 10, Cha 21
Skills: Balance +9, Bluff +11, Climb +10, Craft (trapmaking) +10, Disable Device +10, Hide +13, Jump +4, Listen +6, Move Silently +9, Spot +6, Swim +5, Tumble +9
Feats: Combat Expertise, Goad (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Goad,CAd), Improved Trip, Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Temperate forest or Urban
Organization: Solitary, Pals (2-3), or Ruckus (6-12)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Half standard
Alignment: Often chaotic neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

Munchkins appear much as the children of elves of both genders, though with pudgy, sticky faces and eyes that almost glow with malevolent mischievousness. They tend to wear stained frocks in mockery of other children, and will often wear baggy hats to hide their ears to pose as humans or elves.

Munchkins are fey whom have plagued all manner of 'grown ups' for centuries. Though not evil, munchkins are spiteful, rebellious and easily angered. They are utterly childish and take pleasure in hurtful remarks and will harangue and mock anyone mercilessly , particularly those whom are abnormal in appearance or voice. Their favored victims however are grumpy or dignified adults who they feel should be 'put down a peg'. These children often mingle with other children, plaguing them with dares to do this or that, and teaching them insults and dangerous games that are then passed on. Much of the mischief and stress of childhood in the world is a direct result of the influence of these sylvan brats.

At night they sleep within the upper branches of trees, attics, or any other high-reaching places they can find to venture to. Many try to get their mortal friends to smuggle them into their house for the night so that they might wreak their mischievous havoc.

In the wilds they amuse themselves by setting traps throughout the forest and waiting for loggers or other travelers to fall prey so that they may have a 'bit of fun'. The rest of the day is filled with juvenile games, complicated dares and name calling.

A munchkin is about the same height and weight as a child of 8-10 years. Munchkins speak common, elven, and sylvan.

Combat
A munchkin is not one to attack, instead prefering to taunt and jibe any whom attempt them harm till they give chase in a blind fury. They lead them through their traps, using their spell-like abilities to aid in the chase. If they are unable to successfully elude or entrap their opponent they quickly climb any nearby building or tree and pelt them with sling-fired pellets and abusive insults.

Blind Fury (Ex): Once per encounter a munchkin can think up an insult so utterly provocative that the target is not only affected as the Goad feat (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Goad,CAd), but he must succeed on a DC 16 will save or become utterly obsessed with pursuing and striking down the munchkin. While in this fury the opponent may rage as a barbarian, though takes a -6 penalty to his or her AC and may not use spot or listen checks unless it relates to pursuing the munchkin. This fury lasts for as long as they can hear or see the munchkin and for 1d4 minutes afterwards.

This does not count towards the number of times a barbarian or similar class may rage, though the barbarian may not use a normal rage while in a blind fury. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Double Dog Dare (Su): A munchkin may dare a non-raging character to perform an action or do a deed. The target must succeed on a DC 16 will save or perform the action as long as the action would not be immediately fatal. Daring one to jump off a cliff could be ignored, though a dare to jump to the other side of a narrow chasm would be possible. If the target succeeds on the save he or she may dare the munchkin to perform the action itself whom must succeed on the same save. If the munchkin succeeds on the save he may 'double dog dare' his victim to perform the original dare though the save DC increases by 1.

This dare may go back and forth to past a triple dog dare before the munchkin storms off in a huff. This is a sonic, mind-affecting, compulsion effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Sticks and Stones (Su): Once per minute a munchkin can yell a hateful insult to any non-mindless creature within 60 feet as a ranged touch attack that deals 1d4 nonlethal damage.

As well, insults are literally damaging to a munchkin. If someone within 60 feet of a munchkin calls out an insult as a move action, the munchkin and insulter must make opposing Charisma-checks. If the munchkin fails it takes 1d4 non-lethal damage.

Sweet Tooth (Ex): A munchkin has an insatiable desire for sweet tasting foods. Those who offer a pie, berries, candy or some other tasty treat to a munchkin gain a +4 bonus to Charisma-based skills in regards to the munchkin for that day.

Taunt (Su):
As a standard round action the munchkin may make obnoxious sounds, such as blowing a long and extended razzberry. All those within 60 feet must succeed on a DC 16 will save each round or be unable to concentrate on spells or powers and loses any psionic focus. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

As well, it is so irritating that all within range take a -6 penalty to spot and listen checks.

Spell-like Abilities:
At will - Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Ventriloquism.; 1/day - Haste, True Strike. Caster level 3rd. Save DC's are Charisma-based.

Skills: A munchkin has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks.

The Demented One
2006-08-25, 11:38 PM
Dear god...this is evil beyond evil. Blacker than the blackest black, times infinity!

Winged One
2006-08-25, 11:43 PM
Awsome. I should mention these in the backstory of one of my characters sometime.

I'll leave the jokes about the name to somebody else.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-25, 11:43 PM
Like gnomes on crack. Nice.

...now if we add the Fiendish template, we get EVIL MUNCHKINS. Yes.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-26, 01:14 AM
Dear god...this is evil beyond evil. Blacker than the blackest black, times infinity!
Cthulhu doth writhe.

bosssmiley
2006-08-26, 03:28 AM
Been spending time with the family then Vorpal? :D

I like these little guys, they're a perfect evocation of those horrible little changeling brats that folklore faeries used to dump on human foster-parents. Great for a Grimm-style campaign, or a darker take on the Cute Compendium world. Fantastic little speed bumps if combined with other fey too.

I'm assuming the various special abilities of the Munchkin (Blind Fury, Double Dog Dare, etc.) are mind-affecting, sonic and language-dependent in nature?

I would award you a cookie, but all mine seem to have vanished...

Evil_Pacifist
2006-08-26, 09:46 AM
Like gnomes on crack.

Maybe someday I'll sig that...

Awesome monster, though I think it should have ranks in Sleight of Hand.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-26, 12:51 PM
This......is so accurate that it's scary. If you really want to embody all that is childhood evil, then give it a continuous haste effect, and the ability to make suggestions against 'grown-ups' or a +10 to all Bluff checks. Evil children more often than not are the best at getting out of trouble.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-28, 08:46 PM
Awesome monster, though I think it should have ranks in Sleight of Hand.
Meh, it only has so many skill slots :-/

This......is so accurate that it's scary. If you really want to embody all that is childhood evil, then give it a continuous haste effect, and the ability to make suggestions against 'grown-ups' or a +10 to all Bluff checks. Evil children more often than not are the best at getting out of trouble.
Hehehe.

That's not always the case. I'm the eldest of 10 kids and have impressive sense motive checks in reguards to youngin's ;)

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-28, 11:25 PM
Nevertheless, a continuous haste effect...well, maybe not; this is a pseudo-seven-to-ten-year-old, so the ultrasuperinsaneinexaustableamountofenergy has worn off three years since, assuming a lack of ADD. This is awesome though. I swear, I've gotten more creature, variant, and item ideas from you, The Demented One, and Fax Celestis than from the PHB, DMG, and MM respectively. Y'all are frickin' geniuses. Keep it up.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-24, 09:58 AM
Just gave this some spit and shine to some off stuff.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-24, 10:26 AM
Now that is what lethal weapons were developed for.

EagleWiz
2007-06-24, 06:25 PM
No i think that IS a lethal wepon

MITP: Yes

SurlySeraph
2007-06-25, 12:14 AM
I want to make a campaign just so that I can have a bunch of these pester someone with the Mean Old Crankypants PRC from a while back.

Vhaidara
2007-06-25, 12:51 PM
This is a misnomer. That's not a munchkin, that's an eight-year old!

Simius
2007-06-25, 12:59 PM
As well, insults are literally damaging to a munchkin. If someone within 60 feet of a munchkin calls out an insult, the munchkin and insulter must make opposing Charisma-checks. If the munchkin fails it takes 1d4 non-lethal damage.

I think this might need fixing. Because speaking is a free action, someone could insult this monster an infinite amount of times per round, without suffering any negative effects. Perhaps add:
"If the munchkin wins, he cannot be harmed by insults from that insulter for the duration of the encounter." or something like that.

...Eh?
2007-06-25, 01:10 PM
Like gnomes on crack. Nice.

...now if we add the Fiendish template, we get EVIL MUNCHKINS. Yes.

Sigged for great justice.

Neek
2007-06-25, 01:17 PM
... I love it.

Just to be nitpicky, however, you write in Sweet Tooth, A munchkin has an insatiable desire for sweet tasting foods. Those whom offer a pie... Should be 'those who.' Not that it matters to me much, because the rest of this monster is made of Win.

DraPrime
2007-06-25, 03:14 PM
That thing looks so annoying that I want to kill it. Mainly cus it reminds me of my cousin, who is this monster in the flesh. I am not exaggerating. Not at all.

Assasinater
2007-06-25, 04:28 PM
Organization: Solitary, Pals (2-3), or Ruckus (6-12)

A great one. Though maybe they should get morale bonuses when there are more than one :smallsmile:. You know, with the bravado and all that.

Or just give them an ability to convert innocent children to become Munchkins, and they are an epic level threat.

DraPrime
2007-06-25, 10:44 PM
Or just give them an ability to convert innocent children to become Munchkins, and they are an epic level threat.

PLEASE DON'T DO THAT! There are enough annoying little children in the world of D&D. If more started appearing then I would have to grab a sword and go hunting.

Vhaidara
2007-06-25, 11:38 PM
I think that's part of the point...

Demented
2007-06-26, 01:51 AM
The worst part is that their alignment is NEUTRAL!
Killing them isn't justified!

It's... not... can't... shouldn't... but... why... agh!

Now just need to give one class levels in Rogue and Ranger and voila, Disney's Peter Pan.

DraPrime
2007-06-26, 07:43 AM
Killing them isn't justified!

Killing small annoying children with magic powers is always justified!

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-26, 08:09 AM
Killing small annoying children with magic powers is always justified!

Particularly if you're a villain from an anime.

Are you a villain from an anime?

DraPrime
2007-06-26, 12:03 PM
Are you a villain from an anime?

Hmm let me check.

Alright, I have a nose, my eyes are smaller than grapefruit, I don't have spiky hair, and my mouth isn't the size of an ant when it's closed. I may be a villain, but not an anime one.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-26, 12:15 PM
Alright, have fixed the stuff thats been mentioned.

A great one. Though maybe they should get morale bonuses when there are more than one :smallsmile:. You know, with the bravado and all that.
Hey, thats a nice idea there. Only thing holding me back from adding it is I'm afraid these guys have too many abilities already :-/

Reptilius
2007-06-26, 12:36 PM
Hmm let me check.

Alright, I have a nose, my eyes are smaller than grapefruit, I don't have spiky hair, and my mouth isn't the size of an ant when it's closed. I may be a villain, but not an anime one.

That comment is made of win. As is the munchkin. I approve!

DraPrime
2007-06-26, 01:14 PM
Woo! I got sigged!

Macrovore
2007-06-26, 10:11 PM
nice monster. I think I new a couple of those when I was a kid. these stats explain a lot...

Draken
2007-06-26, 11:01 PM
Wow...

I know at least three of these, but one of then didn't roll a good stat for Int or Cha, but has a very good Con.