PDA

View Full Version : [Marvel] Mr. Sinister = Awesome?

Cheesegear
2009-03-28, 05:22 AM
I mean, granted; Clones make all Marvel-readers cry.

Am I the only person who believes that Sinister is awesome?

chiasaur11
2009-03-28, 11:01 AM
Yes.

Yes you are.

Haven
2009-03-28, 01:05 PM
616-Sinister always sounded pretty cool, though I only remember him from the cartoon.

His ultimate version was a ****, and yet...

STAIRS!

Dihan
2009-03-28, 01:49 PM
Mr Sinister?

No...

Miss Sinister? Yes
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/thumb/d/d4/Miss_Sinister_%28Scot_Eaton%29.jpg/367px-Miss_Sinister_%28Scot_Eaton%29.jpg

Starscream
2009-03-28, 02:42 PM
I always liked him more than Apocalypse because his shtick was similar without being on the "I can do anything the writer finds convenient" level.

He also had a very funny appearance in Cable & Deadpool where he was portrayed as rather affably evil.

Never understood why he finds Scott Summers so darn fascinating. Certainly most of the readers don't.

Oh, and he has a cool cape.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-03-28, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately his name and appearance only make sense if you realize that Nethaniel Essex is a biologist from the 1880s; otherwise, as Paul O'Brien said, he looks like a refugee from a Renaissance gay bar.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-03-28, 07:53 PM
Mr Sinister?

No...

Miss Sinister? Yes
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/thumb/d/d4/Miss_Sinister_%28Scot_Eaton%29.jpg/367px-Miss_Sinister_%28Scot_Eaton%29.jpg

Meh, bondage villainesses have been impossible to take seriously since 1814.

Teron
2009-03-28, 08:25 PM
Unfortunately his name and appearance only make sense if you realize that Nethaniel Essex is a biologist from the 1880s; otherwise, as Paul O'Brien said, he looks like a refugee from a Renaissance gay bar.
Both these and his interest in Cyclops make even more sense when you know he was originally supposed to be the creation of an unaging kid from the same orphanage as Scott Summers.

Cheesegear
2009-03-28, 10:07 PM
Both these and his interest in Cyclops make even more sense when you know he was originally supposed to be the creation of an unaging kid from the same orphanage as Scott Summers.

The retcon makes better sense where Sinister's plan was to get a hold of Scott's kid to use against Apocalypse...Y'know, the whole point of Madelyne Pryor?

Still, Sinister can betray Apoclaypse and get away with it too.

...Except even Pryor was a retcon. She was originally Mastermind's idea...

Hopeless
2009-03-29, 08:48 AM
I always liked him more than Apocalypse because his shtick was similar without being on the "I can do anything the writer finds convenient" level.

He also had a very funny appearance in Cable & Deadpool where he was portrayed as rather affably evil.

Never understood why he finds Scott Summers so darn fascinating. Certainly most of the readers don't.

Oh, and he has a cool cape.

I believe its because his optic blasts are as lethal to Mr Sinister as kryptonite is to Superman.
Oh and Mr Sinister been known to deflect attacks with that cape just not Cyclops optic blasts...

Revlid
2009-03-30, 12:25 PM
I like Mr. Sinister. He has potential, albeit potential undermined by retcons at every step.

Yulian
2009-03-30, 10:27 PM

This.

The original origin idea is so much more fascinating than the Victorian mad scientist schtick.

Even his look is better explained. He's a young kid's idea of what a supervillain should look like.

They foreshadowed it a lot, too. Especially in X-Factor, when Scott was always talking about that kid he knew, Nathan, from the orphanage.

Miss Sinister? Meh. First, it doesn't rhyme. Second, we already have Selene for all our S&M villainess needs, and she's the original (in Earth 616 Hellfire Club, anyway).

- Yulian

BlueWizard
2009-03-31, 10:34 PM
I thought Cyclops blew him Mr. Sinister in the Inferno series... but then, I've been out of touch with Marvel comics for many years now.

Yulian
2009-03-31, 10:46 PM
I thought Cyclops blew him Mr. Sinister in the Inferno series...

Was...was that a MAX title?

- Yulian

Cheesegear
2009-04-01, 01:32 AM
They foreshadowed it a lot, too. Especially in X-Factor, when Scott was always talking about that kid he knew, Nathan, from the orphanage.

Wow. It just clicked to me from reading this post. Cyclops' son is named Nathaniel (which is also Sinister's name). I can't ever recall reading the book where he (Nate/Cable/etc.) was born, but, I have to wonder why (in the retconned reality) Scott would name his son after a man who is such a bastard to him, personally.

Although, if it was Madelyne (the retconned version) who named Nathan/Cable, it would make a little bit more sense. Since Sinster is Maddie's father. Although why Scott went along with it is beyond me.

Originally posted by BlueWizard
I thought Cyclops blew him Mr. Sinister in the Inferno series...

That happened in X-Factor. Unfortunately, the answer is probably 'Clones' (Clones make Marvel-readers cry). Since, Sinister is a major villain in the Marvel universe (despite the above opinions), and appears in just about every major X-men story-arc where Magneto isn't involved. And that's why they can't actually kill him off.

...In fact, have Magneto and Sinister ever even been in the same panel together? That'd be fairly interesting.

Possible Major Spoiler (Dark Reign storyline) - what has been seen cannot be unseen
Here (http://www.majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12a/darkreignpreviews/DARKREIGN_cvr.jpg) we see Professor X's image with Sinister's 'trademark' Crystal-in-the-forehead. With the caption 'Sinister'. Not a stretch, Sinister has defeated Xavier once or twice in the past.

BlueWizard
2009-04-01, 02:27 AM
I have been out of the Marvel loop for years....

Found out I'd be pissed if I was reading Spider-man the past ten years.

User Name
2009-04-01, 02:59 AM
Was...was that a MAX title?

- Yulian

HAH! nice one