PDA

View Full Version : Something you always wanted to do

Otogi
2009-03-28, 03:27 PM
What's something you always wanted to do in an RPG? Nothing restricted by genre, just anything you wanted to do.

Comet
2009-03-28, 03:44 PM
Play Planescape. Kinda hard, since the gaming scene around here isn't english speaking and translating the Planar Cant and other terminology would drive anyone mad. It's just not the easiest setting to run properly, I think. It has to have a very specific atmosphere to work.

Participate in a true cloak-and-dagger political intrique game with heavy elements of occult horror. 18-19th century feeling with shady conspiracies scheming behind the monarch's back to bring ruin or glory to the nation. Cool, gritty combat, ancient magicks and, most importantly, ballroom dances ending with pistols at dawn. :smallwink:

Flickerdart
2009-03-28, 05:27 PM
Play a Paladin, even though they suck. Not a Cleric or Crusader that calls themselves a Paladin, and not even Fax's remake, awesome as they are. Making a Paladin that's better than the original goes against the spirit of being a Paladin in the first place.

Starscream
2009-03-28, 08:19 PM
Play a necromancer that gives jars of Sovereign Glue to his mindless zombie minions. When attacked they have orders to spread the glue on themselves and then grapple their opponents.

I could sell tickets.

Waspinator
2009-03-28, 09:06 PM
I've wanted to play a dragon Warblade for awhile now (Class level progressions for Dragons exist: Dragon 320 for metallic, 332 for chromatic). I'd want to level as a dragon at least until I get alternate form for a few times per day (choosing one of the dragon types with that, of course) and the basics like a decent flight speed. Alternate form is a big one since, while a metallic dragon probably could go around in at least some campaign settings without getting attacked, it's going to attract attention and not going to work at all for anything resembling a stealth mission.

Six levels of silver dragon means:
4d12 HP
+4 BAB
+4 for each save
2 usages of alternate form per day,
1d8 cold breath
+3 natural armor
racial modifiers of +2 each to Con, Int, and Wis and +4 to Cha
1d6 bite
2 1d4 claws
cloudwalking
land speed 30 ft
fly speed 50 ft (average)
2 feats (I believe these are the normal "one every three levels" feats)

The way these Savage-Species-style things go, it works out to basically four character levels plus a +2 LA combined into a "class" progression. Get some custom armor fitted for a dragon and you can start to get competitive. I probably would go Warblade after that and maybe see if I could buy off that LA eventually. Anyone know if a dragon, who has the proper weapon proficiency feats, can use a sword or whatever while in dragon form? That'd make Warblade an even more attractive option.

Also, this image is really funny:
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/4199/dragonpcsrq7.png

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-28, 09:25 PM
To play an honest-to-god gish; someone who primarily casts spells, but is no slouch in hand-to-hand. I've tried it in D&D 3E, Shadowrun, and I'm even trying to make an Eladrin Wizard-Taclord that isn't silly. I dunno why, but it's always there at the back of my mind.

newbDM
2009-03-28, 09:30 PM
1) Be in a game/campaign where an aspect of my favorite reoccurring character (at the end of his original appearance/campaign he Wished himself into 100 equal 1st level selves) can potentially take over his own layer of the abyss. I believe one of the last WotC 3.5 modules dealt with this possibility, so maybe one day...

2) I have also wanted to play a political style of campaign. For quite some time now.

3) A conquest style game. Perhaps with heavy use of Heroes of Battle. I have recently discovered Birthright, and from what I have learned so far this setting would please this want very well.

4) Play a character from level 1 all the way to level 20 in the same campaign, with the same group.

5) Play in a sandbox style campaign, with an incarnation of my favorite reoccurring PC, where he manages to either make or "borrow" a flying ship (Final Fantasy style). Oh the nice dreams I have had. :smallamused:

6) Ride a chocobo in D&D.

7) Have a girlfriend who simultaneously plays my PC's SO in-game. (So, so ronery...)

8) Play an anthropomorphic rabbit psion, wearing a vest, who specializes in time effecting powers, with a psicrystal in the shape of a pocket watch.

9) Play a psion (preferably my favorite reoccurring character) who challenges the head of the Arcane Order to "one of their 'duels'", and win.

10) Play in a campaign dealing heavily with the various planes.

11) Mind Switch bodies with the tarrasque.

Recaiden
2009-03-28, 09:32 PM
To play a pure cleric. Just once.

Waspinator
2009-03-28, 09:37 PM
I think Dragon magazine had 3.5 chocobo stats in an issue once.

newbDM
2009-03-28, 09:49 PM
I think Dragon magazine had 3.5 chocobo stats in an issue once.

Yup. I even hunted it down on ebay.

However, it is something up to the DM. And if I just ask for it, then it kinda defeats the purpose in a way.

And I highly suggest trying to play a dragon from those dragon magazine racial progressions. I had a chance to play a copper dragon PC once (and only once :smallfrown:), and it was one of my most memorable characters ever.

However, I highly advise that you try talking your DM into just completely ignoring the dragon's LA. It seems to work wonderfully at balancing the dragon out for a PC. In addition to playing said copper dragon, I have also played an artificer who put most of his wealth and XP into an effigy red dragon (sort of like a druid with it's animal companion), and I have let a player play a silver dragon PC using the same dragon magazine issue. The copper dragon was very underpowered, but the effigy red dragon which was kept at an equal HD/level to the PCs' levels (the game ended at level 10 I believe) turned out to be very balanced with the party (in fact, the dwarven defender was still much deadlier in combat). Based on advice from the old WotC general board, and from my own experience with the artificer and his red dragon effigy, I decided to wave the LA for the silver dragon PC in my old game and it turned out quite well (again, the dwarf in the party still kicked more behind...). However, I did limit the silver dragon PC's alternate form to a single form (of the player's choosing) until higher levels, but in hindsight I am not sure if it was the best idea.

Ravens_cry
2009-03-28, 10:08 PM
Play an inventor with Craft: Bamboo Technology (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BambooTechnology).
Right now, just in case, I have an idea for a medieval taser. It involves a hand cranked (future iterations could use a diminutive animated object, or a waterwheel powered by a decanter of endless water) generator constructed from copper and lodestones, layden jars, thin steel cable a crossbow harpoon gun, and some twin barbed bird crossbow bolts.

Lappy9000
2009-03-28, 10:09 PM
Play a Paladin, even though they suck. Not a Cleric or Crusader that calls themselves a Paladin, and not even Fax's remake, awesome as they are. Making a Paladin that's better than the original goes against the spirit of being a Paladin in the first place.It truly is fufilling. Especially if you travel with evil doers who have plenty of ranks in Sleight of Hand and lead sheets.

I've always wanted to have a personal nemesis. I end up DMing most of the time, so I usually make the nemesis's nemeses nemesi villains, for others. Seriously, to get a totally bad-a antagonist with a personal vendetta against my character (along with crazy backstories and roleplaying) would be amazing.

R4ph
2009-03-28, 10:33 PM
Play the "You've been sucked into a fantasy world" game. Where you are playing you, sitting down to a game, then getting transported into the world you're gaming in.

Almost ended up playing it, but the campaign never really kicked off. =(

valadil
2009-03-28, 10:40 PM
I want to crucify a PC. Preferably as GM, but I'd settle for PC on PC crucifiction too. Thankfully I'm not that much of a jerk in games.

Flickerdart
2009-03-28, 10:42 PM
It truly is fufilling. Especially if you travel with evil doers who have plenty of ranks in Sleight of Hand and lead sheets.
No, not a "haha he's lawful good" Paladin. An honest-to-goodness defender of justice and protector of the weak. No subversions, no funnies. Unfortunately I don't get to play a lot, but rather DM...I do have an NPC Paladin, but he's not exactly what I had in mind in order to make him more interesting for the players to suffer.

Lappy9000
2009-03-28, 10:46 PM
No, not a "haha he's lawful good" Paladin. An honest-to-goodness defender of justice and protector of the weak. No subversions, no funnies. Unfortunately I don't get to play a lot, but rather DM...I do have an NPC Paladin, but he's not exactly what I had in mind in order to make him more interesting for the players to suffer.That's the best part: He was. The lead sheets didn't actually happen; we just house-ruled in that he could travel with evil doers with the intent of redeeming them (or killing them, if necessary).

It's best not to go with a "Sheltered-grew-up-in-a-monastery/temple" paladin. Mine was a former evil fighter who's soul was saved through the deeds of his (now deceased) wife. Made for a very worldly paladin who was neither a pansy nor a stick in the mud. Plus, his Sense Motive ranks were truly something to be marvelled at....

SurlySeraph
2009-03-28, 10:47 PM
1. Play a Ranger/Necromancer. I have this character concept for one that I've been kind of dancing around, making similar characters to get an idea of what exactly I want to do with it. I've currently got a pretty good idea of how to stat out the character I'm thinking of (TN pure-class Human Ranger, with a refluffed version of the Sword of the Arcane Order feat, various suboptimal feats that I want for flavor, and a generic "mysterious badass brooding in a dark corner of the tavern" personality). I just find it very hard to capture what exactly appeals to me about the idea.
2. Play a character who's mostly a melee fighter, but dabbles in arcane magic for ranged combat and some utility. I don't want to play a gish, where magic is critical to his style and abilities, but a character who does magic mostly out of curiosity. The Ranger/Necromancer is kind of a subset of this.
3. Play an apocalyptic game - not one where the world has long since fallen apart and is now full of mutant zombie bikers or whatever, but where the world is in the process of falling apart. I've been working on a real-world-based homebrew setting that is basically this; I might run a PbP game based on it eventually.
4. Play a character whose combat technique is to run around slashing through opponents as he runs past them. d20 doesn't really support this, what with the standard and move actions (there are the Bounding Assault/Rapid Blitz spring-attack-based feats, but they're high-level), and I've never put much time into any other systems.
5. Play an oldstyle campaign, where the characters are all of different levels, stats are 3d6, dungeon crawls and random taverns and brothels and nobles and kobolds and Gygax knows what else abound, and no one takes death or your character's power so damn seriously.

Thajocoth
2009-03-28, 11:06 PM
That which I haven't done before.

And there's a whole heck of a lot of that to do, considering that I started when 4E came out... I have 3 active characters, one dead character, and 5 backup characters... Then so many others I want to make but haven't designed yet.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-03-28, 11:31 PM
I've always wanted to play a fat, yet pretty girl. It's a fetish. :smallredface:

I've also wanted to play one character from every combination of class and race. There's just so many combinations, I wanna try them all!

Shadowbane
2009-03-28, 11:46 PM
Play a Paladin, even though they suck. Not a Cleric or Crusader that calls themselves a Paladin, and not even Fax's remake, awesome as they are. Making a Paladin that's better than the original goes against the spirit of being a Paladin in the first place.

I've done that multiple times. The novelty wears off when the optimized wizard in the party can take apart every single encounter on his own, and I try really hard not to run out of Smite Evils or die.

For me, though, I want to do this. I want to play a character I created for a story named Bael'Itae Os'Taesia, Dark Elf ranger sort of in the vein of Drizzt. (It's different, I SWEAR. If you don't believe me, I'll send you the link of the story. I created him as a sort of constant hero in my world, Aelasael.)

I want to play him as a ranger up to 20th level, then give him the eternal hero epic destiny. It fits him to a T anyway.

Then, I want to be able to play Abreus Shadowsbane. 20th level paladin (my fixed version. >.>), then Demi-God destiny. Again, fits him perfectly.

HeavySleeper
2009-03-29, 02:22 AM
I'd like to DM one session with my IRL group that doesn't result in them derailing the plot on some level. I guess things wouldn't be as interesting without their antics, but I hope one day I can see the story I'm trying to tell actually unfold.

As a player, I actually managed to fulfill one ambition when I escaped from prison by burning it down. I'd also like to play a soulknife at some point. Don't hate me for it.

KillianHawkeye
2009-03-29, 05:38 AM
1. Play the character my user name is taken from, a Wood Elf Archery-style Ranger. I statted him up a couple years ago. He had the Elf Ranger substitution levels and was heavily focused on Favored Enemy: Orcs. With a orc-bane bow and a bunch of other stuff all geared to slaughtering orcs and not much else. Unfortunately, it's a little too specialized for most games, and now I spend most of the time DMing.

2. Play a sociopathic Rogue/Psion/Pryokineticist. I'd just kinda go around causing trouble, starting fights, and lighting things on fire. Seems like fun to me. :smallamused:

3. Play some kind of Necromancer who controls a veritable army of undead, in honor of my old Diablo II character who had 50+ undead minions. He was awesome fun. Heroes of Horror + Libris Mortis FTW! :smallwink:

4. Use an old-age Exalted Aasimar Paladin 2/Monk 4/Reaping Mauler 3/Tattooed Monk 1/Kensai 10 with Vow of Poverty and Ascetic Knight as an NPC who guards some ancient treasure "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"-style.

5. Pick a fight with a deity or a major demon lord, or invade Hell or something totally awesome and epic like that.

Xuincherguixe
2009-03-29, 05:58 AM
-Shoot the person offering you work with no provocation
-Play as the evil overlord (who had read the evil overlord list, naturally)
-Introduce democracy to a feudal society
-Solve all conflict through non violent methods
-Sell stolen watches
-Build, and sell watches
-Rebuild the pentagon as a Hexagon
-Prove the existence of extra terrestrial life (sounds like a fun thing to do in the Maids of the Old Republic Game in which I did roll up an alien)
-Unleash a plague of cybernetic zombies who are dedicated to determining Pi
-Play in a setting based on a theoretical Armed Bear Common LISP (http://common-lisp.net/project/armedbear/) manga
-Raise the dead to be my friends.

... I could go on like this.

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-29, 06:18 AM
There are probably a few, but the only one I can think of is standing atop and airship at the start of a massive battle, cloak billowing dramatically in the wind. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtfG72BAJRE)

Khatoblepas
2009-03-29, 07:41 AM
I've always wanted to play a fat, yet pretty girl. It's a fetish. :smallredface:

Done it in a Call of Cthulhu campaign. Size 14, App 15 :B. It helps if you don't build your entire character around that fact.

I want to:
Play Three Exotic Necromancers:
- Artif Nessuan of the Black Sand. Ressurrected while wearing a Shirt of Gentle Repose... after the corpse was lost for countless aeons. Wants to remake the world to resemble his crazed memories of a dead world.

- The Yellow Musk Necromancer. A druid who wants to make everything into a plant, by way of becoming a Yellow Musk Creeper and gathering followers.

- An Exalted Necromancer who raises Deathless to serve in the fight against evil. I wrote a prestige class about it somewhere.

Run a Planescape campaign.

Play in a D&D campaign that lasts more than three sessions.

Play AD&D 2e sometime.

Play Hugo Rune in a CoC campaign (complete with Dimac 70%, Reinvent Ocarina 50% and Siz, Int, App 18 :3)

Myou
2009-03-29, 07:59 AM
There are probably a few, but the only one I can think of is standing atop and airship at the start of a massive battle, cloak billowing dramatically in the wind. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtfG72BAJRE)

I knew even before clicking that it would be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. xD

It's better subbed though. :3

I've always wanted to;

-Say to my players; roll 3d6 for your stats in order.

-Play a paladin, even though they're underpowered.

-Play from level 1 to level 40 with the same characters, then go divine.

-Play a barbarian with the lowest int possible.

-Play 1st edition. For a session or two.

-TPK my players and then just laugh and laugh.

-Run an evil one-shot.

mikej
2009-03-29, 08:09 AM
- Get the opportunity to actually play the Planar Shepherd in a campaign.
- Kender Paladin... I don't how it would work ?

Dogmantra
2009-03-29, 08:39 AM
Play an innocent LG sorceress whose powers only manifest as necromantic and evil spells. She would fight whilst constantly apologising.

Get a 4 on a move silently check :smallwink:

Play a character with one level in every single class.

Make the DM cry

kladams707
2009-03-29, 09:24 AM
I've been tempted to play a Half-orc sorceror just for the humor in the backstory.

"Oooo, pretty lights..."

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-29, 09:35 AM
Play a Bard that only speaks in quotes.

Play a Warforged Bard that is spreading the touch of music to the Construct masses.

Play a drugged out LG Paladin.

Play a Demon.

Play an Evil Metallic Dragon.

Play the Master of an Undead house of Ill Repute using Hats of Disguise.

Play a Druid/Wizard/Arcane Heirophant's pet searching for a way to free his imprisoned master.

That's all I can think of for now.

CrimsonAngel
2009-03-29, 09:45 AM
I've always wanted to actually play DnD. I've got this shiny new players handbook, and I can't stop reading it. I know what everything is, but everyone is always to busy.

mostlyharmful
2009-03-29, 10:03 AM
Incongruous animated object or awakened animal. Something bizarre like a barbarian teapot or a wizard penguin (actual penguin not penguin-esque spacefarer from planescape, done that).

The BBEG, need to talk a DM into it, i've done it as an NPC but actually running my evil schemes from inside the party would be great fun.

A displaced medivael peasent with uber sorc powers that doesn't understand what's going on in his new world, a reserve conneticut yankee in king arthurs court.

Egiam
2009-03-29, 10:07 AM
-Leap off a roof on to a moving tank.

-A car chase

-A murder mystery

Kris Strife
2009-03-29, 02:31 PM
-A car chase

Done that. It was awesome.

Play a standard Paladin with maxed diplomacy, who redeems female villans by seducing them, James Bond style.

TrashCat
2009-03-29, 02:53 PM
3. Play an apocalyptic game - not one where the world has long since fallen apart and is now full of mutant zombie bikers or whatever, but where the world is in the process of falling apart. I've been working on a real-world-based homebrew setting that is basically this; I might run a PbP game based on it eventually.

I am in the middle of just such a DnD campaign as we speak. :smallwink: A terrible plague -- the worst in living memory -- has swept across the world. It is resistant to magical healing, and the use of teleportation circles has caused it to quickly spread to every major city on this plane. Some have lost as many as half their population, and ghost towns dot the land. Our first session took place just 3 or 4 (in-game) weeks after the plague first showed up. It's pretty awesome, and makes for an engaging role-play if done right. PM me, and I might show you the introductory fluff, if my DM gives permission.

Interestingly, the only other role-playing campaign I've played in was a homebrewed d10 system that took place in a setting similar to the first scenario you describe. The world had long since fallen apart, and the landscape is still heavily scarred from the apocalypse-- glass wastes that used to be deserts, salt wastes that used to be seas. But there are scattered bits of old, advanced technology leftover from the old civilizations, such as implants that give you superhuman prowess in the relevant attribute.

I guess my friends just really love apocalypse. :smallconfused: Should I be concerned?

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-03-29, 03:06 PM
Play a character with one level in every single class.

I don't think that's possible, even with only the base classes. For example, Monk and Paladin (which must be Lawful, and Good in the Paladin's case) would conflict with Druid (which must be Neutral on at least one axis), as well as Bard and Barbarian (which must be unlawful).

Flickerdart
2009-03-29, 03:28 PM
I don't think that's possible, even with only the base classes. For example, Monk and Paladin (which must be Lawful, and Good in the Paladin's case) would conflict with Druid (which must be Neutral on at least one axis), as well as Bard and Barbarian (which must be unlawful).
There's a feat or ACF or something that lets you be a Lawful Bard, and you don't actually lose any abilities if you become Lawful after taking Barbarian. Or you could go Paladin of Freedom and Chaos Monk. Still can't be a Druid (Anarch wouldn't count as a Paladin, now would it) but it's closer.

Graymayre
2009-03-29, 04:00 PM
With my Gray Guard, I always wanted to do this:

GG: *ties length of cord around thug and holds him over a rainsoaked cliff* Where is your master!?

Thug: I don't know! I swear to god-

GG: SWEAR TO ME! *drops him*

Fjolnir
2009-03-29, 04:20 PM
as far as the whole can't be one of everything goes, here's what you do, start off LN go monk 1, druid 1, fighter 1, rogue 1(all the while commiting acts of extreme kindness and such to go towards good) when you reach LG, take paladin 1, then start going chaotic (you will promptly fall) as NG take your cleric level and then your bard/barbarian level before working back towards LG to atone and get your paladinhood back, picking up your splash levels in wizard sorcerer and ranger on the way
at the end you'll be an ex druid, ex barbarian, ex bard with at least one class level in every class and able to use class abilities in all of them with the possible exeption of druid

I would like to play a particularly evil charecter that isn't hindered by party threats (by, not to the party)

Gerbah
2009-03-29, 11:35 PM
This might happen someday soon, but I want to play a Dwarf Hexblade / Occult Slayer who absolutely despises and hunts down mages. Dwarves seem to see the least amount of play in our groups, and generally spell casters are not played in a way which makes them vastly outclass every other player, but still, I think this would be fun.

In addition I want to level a Bard up to be a Seeker of the Song, simply so I can jam out and burn someone to death at the same time.

Kroy
2009-03-30, 12:28 AM

Video note available, in my country?:smallconfused::smallfrown:

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-30, 12:34 AM
Video note available, in my country?:smallconfused::smallfrown:

Well that's a pain. It's the clip from the start of the first episode of Gurren Lagann. Look around for the episode on youtube.

I knew even before clicking that it would be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. xD

It's better subbed though. :3

Perhaps, but I just find dubs easier to watch since you don't have your eyes glued to that one part at the bottom of the screen.

Tam_OConnor
2009-03-30, 01:06 AM
Run a campaign focused around mounted characters: jousts, horse archer fights, outrunning the wind.

Run a pirate, or at least a nautical, campaign.

Now, the central problem is that I haven't found a way to do both of them at the same time...

I've always wanted to use the Mage Slayer feats, but I've never had the chance, as a PC or DM.

Stephen_E
2009-03-30, 05:45 AM
I'd like to play an Animal Companion, Special Mount or Fendish Servant of another PC.

Don't bother with XP and take the bonus HD as class levels and I think it would be heaps of fun.
"You want me to ride me in to WHAT!!"
"Come on, take Natural Bond. It'd be a great feat."
"Hey guys, what about my share of the loot. I want a Amulet of Mighty Fists."
"You want that cart pulled you're welcome to pull it. I'm a fighter, not a Dwarf"

Stephen E

newbDM
2009-03-30, 06:06 AM
I'd like to play an Animal Companion, Special Mount or Fendish Servant of another PC.

Don't bother with XP and take the bonus HD as class levels and I think it would be heaps of fun.
"You want me to ride me in to WHAT!!"
"Come on, take Natural Bond. It'd be a great feat."
"Hey guys, what about my share of the loot. I want a Amulet of Mighty Fists."
"You want that cart pulled you're welcome to pull it. I'm a fighter, not a Dwarf"

Stephen E

Oh, that is an awesome idea.

Just be careful wizard or druid doesn't simply dismiss you. For this reason aim for a paladin. :smallbiggrin:

Bonus points if you name yourself Donkey.

Even more bonus points if you end up marrying a dragon.

arguskos
2009-03-30, 06:18 AM
-Be a player. Not getting to be a player in... oh, maybe 5-6 years now is starting to grind at my sanity.

-Play in a super-RP heavy game, with one of my million characters that I have laying about (I make characters when I'm bored... and I'm bored frequently).

-Get to play my "consensual necromancer". Basically, he only makes undead out of creatures that are willing, since he's pretty lonely and just wants friends who like him unconditionally.

-Play a frikkin' dvati. :smallmad: Every DM I know thinks they are totally broken or something.

Really, the main thing is that I just want TO BE A PLAYER AGAIN!! Bleargh... :smallannoyed:

newbDM
2009-03-30, 06:22 AM
-Be a player. Not getting to be a player in... oh, maybe 5-6 years now is starting to grind at my sanity.

-Play in a super-RP heavy game, with one of my million characters that I have laying about (I make characters when I'm bored... and I'm bored frequently).

-Get to play my "consensual necromancer". Basically, he only makes undead out of creatures that are willing, since he's pretty lonely and just wants friends who like him unconditionally.

-Play a frikkin' dvati. :smallmad: Every DM I know thinks they are totally broken or something.

Really, the main thing is that I just want TO BE A PLAYER AGAIN!! Bleargh... :smallannoyed:

Have you considered trying to find a new group, or a new side group?

Dogmantra
2009-03-30, 07:35 AM

I've always wanted to play an Awakened Familiar/Animal Companion with levels in Wizard to get another familiar, or in Paladin for the mount.

V'icternus
2009-03-30, 07:55 AM
I want to lead an army, either in conquest or defence, against undefeatable odds, then win (and survive). Afterwards, I'd add *Name of type of enemy*slayer to the end of my name. E.g. Goblinslayer, Orcslayer, Koboldslayer etc.

It'd be fun.

I also want to play a character who survives more than a week of adventuring... (Although, this is not a problem with the game. This is a problem with my "friends". I am yet to be slain by an actual enemy.)

Egiam
2009-03-30, 09:52 AM
Done that. It was awesome.

Which system?

arguskos
2009-03-30, 06:10 PM
Have you considered trying to find a new group, or a new side group?
I know a grand total of four people. I play D&D with these four people. They aren't willing to DM. My options are... limited. However, I have tried looking around. Didn't find much sadly. >_< Meh, I'll get to play at some point, and DMing is great times too. :smallbiggrin:

TheStranger
2009-03-30, 07:14 PM
I've always wanted to play a character based on Batman.

As played by Adam West.

monty
2009-03-30, 07:33 PM
Play a paladin dual-wielding Holy Avengers. I might do it in a campaign I'm playing soon, if I can talk the DM into giving them to me.

Ascension
2009-03-30, 08:02 PM
Play out a romance.

What I have done:
-Been seduced by a Nymph.
-Married a sorceress for political power. We hardly knew each other, and she could have been my granddaughter... maybe great granddaughter (I was playing an old elf, she was an adult human.)
-Had a mutual but never explicitly voiced crush on another character.
-Had a robust sex life in a comedy campaign.

What I haven't done:
-Really, truly fallen in love with someone who could and would love me equally in return.

But I guess the real reason I want it in fantasy is just because I've never found it in real life.

Lupy
2009-03-30, 08:18 PM
To get to play (I hate DMing by the way, but it's better than not playing at all) a campaign from level 1-30, and have the adventure be the most cliche one ever.

As a Bard. :smallamused:

Waspinator
2009-03-30, 08:59 PM
For DMs who want to play, you can always try a DMPC and attempt to avoid the standard pitfalls. Keeping him a level or two below the party average and intentionally not making super-metagame choices like picking favored enemies a little too well can help keep it in check. Plus, it means that you always have a chance to talk in-character to the party.

Kris Strife
2009-03-30, 11:08 PM
Which system?

WoD. Not sure if it was old or new. We didnt use the setting, just the rules and made ourselves as characters... I miss Med Hold...

Play a paladin with his holy symbole tattoed to the back of his hand who defeats a Lich or Vampire BBEG using his full days supply of Lay on Hands with a charging, smite called touch attack to the face after doing the shining finger quote.

Hell, play a Monk/Paladin/Greyguard multiclass or gestalt based off Domone.

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-30, 11:10 PM
To get to play (I hate DMing by the way, but it's better than not playing at all) a campaign from level 1-30, and have the adventure be the most cliche one ever.

As a Bard. :smallamused:

You could go into the lampshade (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LampshadeHanging) business!

Satyr
2009-03-31, 01:59 AM
Things I want to do in RPG's:

Convert my girlfriend to roleplaying games

Finish my Unisystem Midnight campaign (it's almost done for more than half a year by now)

Bring Serpents and Sewers into the form of a useable book.

Take up again the work with the dreaded pirate comic.

Bring the Midnight campaign I am currently running to a satisfying end.

This summer, I am going to write a Unisystem Song of Ice and Fire RPG, based on the new game by Green Ronin (if it seems to keep the obvious drawbacks the quickstart rules features) and the stuff I wrote for Midnight and Dark Sun.

Interesting campaigns I have played or inted to play:

"You all sat in the bus, when it hit the great wall of nothing. Now you are in this limbo - alone, desperate and with no idea where "here" actually is."
(Gurps supernatural survivor game, based on te inclusion of as many weird ideas as possible)

"It's a Pishtaco -a Southamerican demon who devours the body fat of humans to survive - and he has founded an institute for plstic surgery."
(Call of Cthulluh modern campaign without any reference to the expected myths. And a "monster" which is pretty much a nice guy. Just to screw the player's expectations.)

"Centuries ago, your demon clan was formed by the Masters of your dimension - as shock troopers in a never ending war. Your ancestors overcame the Master's control and broke free -but now your clan is despised by all demnkind of your world as traitors and you fled to a place called "earth" to hide."
(Based on the Angel RPG, the demon clan had to become the servants of the "Powers that Be" to survive. Had a certain "ninja turtles" feeling, but with more occultism.)

"The reason why the world is as desperate and grim as it is today, is the loss of the old glamour and chivalry. If we can revive the old knightly traditions, the world will become a better place."
(Changeling: the Dreaming campaign focusing on a group of "questing faery knights" and turneys on motorbikes).

"Run, children, run! Before Oxenstierna and his undead hordes are here!" (Vampire chronicle during the 30 years war. Bloody, very close to the historical events)

In retroperspective, most of the really good campaigns I come up with are playing in a modern scenario, and most of the time in the real world. It's not that I prefer those settings, but I find it easier to create new ideas in a modern environment and there is just no fictional setting that can compete with the real world in questions of emotional response, immersion and often pure strangeness.

Hunter Noventa
2009-03-31, 06:03 AM
- Settle on a way to do Suikoden d20 and finally write the damn thing out
- Play an arcanist in a game that lasts more then three sessions
- Go toe to toe with some horribly powerful monster and survive on pure guts and determination. Though my current character is well on her way to doing that, considering she got lucky and soloed a paladin 8 levels higher than herself...

Egiam
2009-03-31, 09:54 AM
WoD. Not sure if it was old or new. We didnt use the setting, just the rules and made ourselves as characters... I miss Med Hold...

Nice. I was already planning to start one in a few months. The car rules are sweet, even if I haven't got to use them yet. Looking forward to it.

Samb
2009-03-31, 04:48 PM
Always wanted to be the craft monkey. Maybe artificer next?

Vorpal Soda
2009-03-31, 07:20 PM
- Play a character who wakes up at the morgue, with no memory of how he got there.

- Play a character with a crippling fear of doors, meaning he can only enter and leave through windows. May need immunity to broken glass.

- Play a psionic housecat, possibly one who was a human, and got reincarnated.

- Play a character who thinks entirely too hard about how all members of race x have trait y, and all members of race z have trait w, and subsequently comes to believe that free will is an illusion. Therefore, he's not accountable for his actions, since he's a member of an evil race anyway, therefore he was destined to harm the innocent on the day that he was concieved. He may end up raging against the gods in an attempt to gain free will, and thus break away from his racial alignment.

- Play a drow yaoi fangirl.

- Play a character who has gender identity disorder, and therefore seeks out the girdle of femininity/masculinity.

- Homebrew a chaotic good werecreature, and thus use this for a character who goes around turning everyone good instead of killing them.

- Have the most damaging part of the necronomicon translated into a language I don't understand, memorize the translated form, and use it against my enemies in the style of the Monty Python killer joke.

Nai_Calus
2009-03-31, 07:34 PM
Play a sensitive, artistic, compassionate nice-guy Bard/Any class in a group where such doesn't get constantly mocked. -_- (Last time I did it the fact that the character kept a frakkin journal got mocked. Zuh what? I'm sorry my character is literate and likes to document things?)

...Or more accurately, "find a group that isn't 17-21 year old immature males who think that everything must be 'badass' and 'manly' and pointless interparty conflict that's going to tear any real party apart in five seconds."

Play 4e, which would require scaring up people from my group willing to try it and probably running a DMPC since I seem to be the only person in the group still willing to DM. <_> Or finding another internet group to do it with.

Conquer my own layer of the Abyss. With a Good-aligned character. And make it a safehaven for travellers.

Achieve godhood. With a character who absolutely, totally does not ever want to be a god.

Play in a campaign that lasts more than three months.

Play in a campaign that isn't 1st-level that actually has us with appropriate equipment.

I would say 'Play an elf in a game that only has humans in it', but I already did that once in a short-lived Deadlands d20 game. I accidentally named him after the male love interest from Mulan in my attempt at a Generic Chinese Name. The other characters never did get to find out why he was so happy about shooting monstrous spiders.

Stephen_E
2009-04-01, 06:21 AM
- Go toe to toe with some horribly powerful monster and survive on pure guts and determination. Though my current character is well on her way to doing that, considering she got lucky and soloed a paladin 8 levels higher than herself...

I sort of did that when a large multi headed Hydra surprised the party in the swamp and for various reasons the rest of the party did nothing for the 1st two turns. The DM had it throw almost everything it had against my Wild Cohort Hv Warhorse (I think my riding through the swamp on Horseshoes of the Zephr while everyone else waded was pissing him off) and I went berserk (both PC and Player - I get attached to my pets - kill my PC's I shrug, go for my pets I get mad) and between power attackingm hitting with every attack, and critting, with some help from Horse (Orcs aren't known for original names) killed it before it could get it's 2nd rounds attack in and finish Horse.

Stephen E

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-04-01, 06:21 PM
I sort of did that when a large multi headed Hydra surprised the party in the swamp and for various reasons the rest of the party did nothing for the 1st two turns. The DM had it throw almost everything it had against my Wild Cohort Hv Warhorse (I think my riding through the swamp on Horseshoes of the Zephr while everyone else waded was pissing him off) and I went berserk (both PC and Player - I get attached to my pets - kill my PC's I shrug, go for my pets I get mad) and between power attackingm hitting with every attack, and critting, with some help from Horse (Orcs aren't known for original names) killed it before it could get it's 2nd rounds attack in and finish Horse.

Stephen ENew one. Have a large number of pets named things like 'Cat'.

Irreverent Fool
2009-04-02, 03:40 PM
I want to play a character I created for a story named Bael'Itae Os'Taesia, Dark Elf ranger sort of in the vein of Drizzt. (It's different, I SWEAR. If you don't believe me, I'll send you the link of the story. I created him as a sort of constant hero in my world, Aelasael.)

No it isn't!

I'd like to play a hardcore optimized game where the DM only stops TRULY game-breaking options and relies on craft rather than fiat to challenge the players. I tried DM'ing like this once but my group had been coddled far too long and ended up TPK'ing to a monster that they could have simply ran from (it was obviously trapped in the room it was in). They seemed to be under the assumption that if they couldn't beat it, it shouldn't be there. It wasn't really fun to describe the gruesome deaths.

obnoxious
sig

Graymayre
2009-04-02, 04:46 PM
I've yet to make a good ol' fashioned detective.

I'm not talking about a bard that becomes an inquisitive, I want to play a character whose only ability is to investigate.

To be completely frank, I want to investigate things to death. I wish to end encounters by simply deducing the right thing to do.

Prime32
2009-04-02, 05:00 PM
No it isn't!

I'd like to play a hardcore optimized game where the DM only stops TRULY game-breaking options and relies on craft rather than fiat to challenge the players. I tried DM'ing like this once but my group had been coddled far too long and ended up TPK'ing to a monster that they could have simply ran from (it was obviously trapped in the room it was in). They seemed to be under the assumption that if they couldn't beat it, it shouldn't be there. It wasn't really fun to describe the gruesome deaths.

obnoxious
sig
Try the PbP section at Brilliant Gameologists (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php). It seems to be the default.:smallwink:

I've seen one party of musical-themed characters in Eberron which has an airship powerful enough to destroy the world at level 10. It has a transporter, an AI (actually a "psion sandwich" PC), a ludicrous number of magical enchantments, can carry an army of cohorts and thralls (who are all psions metaconcerted with the AI), is immune to fire, and can travel underwater and underground. It was all done within the rules - this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxXCV4DN3fU&fmt=18) was brought up.

I've wanted to play a female character, an evil character, and this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3364.msg104399#msg104399). Probably not at the same time.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-04-02, 07:54 PM
Great thread full of great ideas! I hope to borrow some of them some day...

My 2 cp...

Participate in a true cloak-and-dagger political intrique game with heavy elements of occult horror. 18-19th century feeling with shady conspiracies scheming behind the monarch's back to bring ruin or glory to the nation. Cool, gritty combat, ancient magicks and, most importantly, ballroom dances ending with pistols at dawn.
7th Sea might work well for this.

I've always wanted to play a fat, yet pretty girl.
Isn't there a Queen song about this?

I've always wanted to actually play DnD.
It's sad, but I can actually count the number of times I've played tabletop on one hand, and that was over ten years ago. Maybe once the kids are older...

Run a campaign focused around mounted characters... a nautical campaign... at the same time...
Ride sharks and giant sea horses, jousting as you skim over the waves?

Convert my girlfriend to roleplaying games.
Same here, the wife that is.

monty
2009-04-02, 09:03 PM
Isn't there a Queen song about this?

I was just a skinny lad, never knew no good from bad...

SurlySeraph
2009-04-03, 02:51 AM
Play a drow yaoi fangirl.

:smalleek:
That's... very drow-like.

Texas Jedi
2009-04-03, 10:06 AM
I have always wanted to play as a character I created in an epic game.

She is a Great Silver Dragon Wyrm that is also Divine Rank 0 (she is a Dragon Ascendant of Sylune[sp?]) she is also a 20Ba/10Sor. and prefers to be in human form than her natural form. She is married to a Solar General in Sylune's service who is a 20C/10F, and commands an army of other goodly creatures.

The Rose Dragon
2009-04-03, 10:14 AM
Play a good, detailed post-apoc RPG without choking on the said details.

Curris
2009-04-03, 11:20 AM
Things I have always wanted to do in an RPG.

I'm a fan of Samurai Jack. So, I want a Time traveling fellow, but this is difficult to do (at will) in any RPG. I'd be very fine with one who is just flavor wise, tossed into the future. Would be "primitive" but finely cultured. Like the barbarians (Can't think of their names) in Weis & Hickman Dragonlance novels.

Similar note : Jump check guy "Jump Good" Either house ruled jumping system, or Ungodly skill stacking, so that Jumping may as well be flying, for this character's purposes.

Light-ninja - Also Samurai Jack Inspired. A ninja/martial artist who hides in light, but is obvious and visible in shadow.

Cinematic action-guy: You know the one. The one who fights on top of tables, swings from chandeliers, cuts rope bridges and rides them down. I have had characters do these things, but it'd be nice to have a DM to reward creativity or description, or have all the other players participate in this too.

Unwilling clone : Ok, so uber powerful wizard casts clone, maybe several times, (Can't be too safe, eh?) Well, I'd like to have a character who is one of these clones, but *something went wrong*. Physically, like the original wizard *With all the fame or infamy*, but none of the memories, skills, class levels. Interesting concept, in my opinion. Lots of Roleplay options.

Games I'd like to play.
Play Cthulu - I've heard so much about this I like. On my to-do list.
Play BESM - I've gotten into 2 games of this that then died. Love the system. Need to get more people into it.
Play Traveller - Same as above
FinalFantasy RPG - Got into this in 2nd edition. Ran a few games. Had fun, then my group dissolved in real life.
Big Paranoia and Shadowrun fan too - Ran lots of both. Be nice to be a player though.

More concepts
Noble Sacrifice - I'd like a character to have a serious moral choice, and support the greater good at a cost to himself. Everytime I've tried this, the point was moot when our wonder-wizard could mop the floor with any threats that there was never any "serious" moral choice. We just won. . . Less satisfying.

Play a Wildmage - Did this in a throwaway arena type game. So much fun. . . Got any other caster *So Very Angry* at my character. I was slated for death after my first turn, but through the luck *and abuse* of some online Wild Magic supplements, I had some nasty tricks. A) A spell that casts another spell I have prepared immediately + One Wild Surge. Every spell slot I had, had that spell prepared. Turn 1: I cast my entire prepared spell list, and roll for 56 (or more) wild surges. That's when the crazy happened. Planeshifting, alignment shifting, teleporting, Wands of Wonder, animals summoned, The full story of this belongs in another thread. Anyway, was broken for lots of reasons that we didn't understand until after the game.
I'd like to play another though, and give him the agenda of converting All the World's magic into Wild Magic.

I want a druid to Awaken a Colossal Cactus. As a person, I'm fond of cacti. This might stem from fandom of Final Fantasy (Cactaurs). Furthermore, with some creativity (And some DR), you can have a Cactus Mount! That spells badass. And if the enemy can't take you seriously, then they are underestimating you. . .

I'd like to have a PC of the race of Elemental. Fire Elemetal, Earth Elemental, Air Elemental. All would be fun. Plus you would have to be careful not to get bound by binders, summoning wizards, or get drawn into Elemental Wars on the Inner Planes. Sadly, they are Not an allowable race by core or suppliment (They don't have souls, can't be resurrected, etc)

I'd like to build PunPun the wizard (Google it), in a group that expects and knows nothing about him.

Have a wizard character use magic jar, and constantly body switch around (although I suspect that there are now prestige classes that do this better)

Chameleon in the Races of Destiny - One of my Favorite Classes! Full versitility. Be any class. The closest (legit) way for me to make a Gish. Also good flavor, and fun in social oriented games too.

I like Paladins (when done right, clearly). I like monks. I'd like to have a Paladin-Monk. Sadly, it's super MAD, and never anywhere near on par with full wizards, or full warforged barbarian/frenzied berseker that usually rounds out my group. (But my group typically is heavy combat orientated, with tough monsters. Undead, constructs, oozes, elementals. Pretty much things that you A) don't want to touch, B) are immune to a bazillion things, (Stuns, Crits, Poisons, etc) C) have no noteworthy loot)

Play the In-character-ignorant person. Asks questions about everything. Not annoyingly so, but the character has a need and passion to learn. I did this once in a starter game, when we had some new players join us. My character was a kid *with the age penalties to stats and all* He helped explain the rules of the game in character, by asking all the right questions "Gee, is that how you cast magic? What if you forget the words or can't talk? What if that troll hit you? Why is shiny metal armor better than leather? What if . . . " One of my favorite games.

Play an evil character who is prophecied to be defeated by the forces of good. (Good concept here). Take it further: specifically to be defeated by his brother who is prophecied to rise in the forces of good to defeat me. Being orphans, you both went to an orphanage, but were separated at a young age, or adopted. You don't know each other (or even what you look like), but you are both aware of the prophecy. Not your typical evil "maniac, who kicks puppies evil", I'd play him more as a civil gentleman, who invites his foes to supper, and converses with them before doing his nefarious deeds. The Nice thing is that, since he is prophecied to be destroyed by his brother, he needs fear little else. This can be an amazing relief and motivator to proceed in the face of other dangers. A) the conversations let him get some good graces despite his evil actions. B) The convo may also make him aware if he finds his brother, letting him get the drop on him (to what effect?) or at least make his piece before their conflict. Philosophically deep on the nature of free will in a world of divination magics. This is great for intrigue type games/social games. I will admit, I found this concept in a webcomic, and loved it enough to steal it.

Finally, on heritage
A) have genie heritage (but not actually be a genie.) Go find my family tree, maybe planar road trip. Fun concept.
B)Have angelic heritage, but play with inherent sadness at everything. Be wistful, regretful, and nostalgic. When interacting with NPCs or PCs, seem distracted, like there was a place I'd rather be. Look upon the greatest works of mortals and be letdown. Maybe melancholy, but sounds interesting in my head.

eepop
2009-04-03, 11:30 AM
Play some kind of caster whose ultimate goal is to build a huge castle and fill it with animated bouncing balls.

Atelm
2009-04-03, 11:54 AM
Play/DM an actually long-lasting campaign, starting from first level. (Our campaigns are usually only a few sessions long, a real pity.)

Another_Poet
2009-04-03, 12:51 PM
I've always wanted to play in a D&D game as a seven-story, heavily armoured animated Tower Ballista. Awakened, with class levels, of course.

Tyrmatt
2009-04-03, 01:59 PM
Play in a updated remake of the original Dungeons and Dragons cartoon show. I'd love to see it redone now, particularly with the highly accessible 4th Edition just being released and the vast changes that have gone on in teenager attitudes and culture since then.
Oh and play a World of Warcraft campaign to the end. Preferably with retooled Forsaken as my old DM put it "I can't mind control you, I can't freeze you, I can't drown you, make you scared, sick or anything. I can't even blast you with evil powers cause they heal you. And that's at level 5."

And of course, play a consistent game over IRC. 3.5, 4e, something post-apoc, the aforementioned Warcraft. Anything...

RebelRogue
2009-04-03, 02:03 PM
I'd like to have a PC of the race of Elemental. Fire Elemetal, Earth Elemental, Air Elemental. All would be fun. Plus you would have to be careful not to get bound by binders, summoning wizards, or get drawn into Elemental Wars on the Inner Planes. Sadly, they are Not an allowable race by core or suppliment (They don't have souls, can't be resurrected, etc)
There's rules for playing Elementals in Savage Species :smallsmile:

Also, Elementals don't lack souls as such, but unlike most beings body and soul are not separate entities: for an Elemental the two are part of a bigger whole.

Faleldir
2009-04-03, 06:25 PM
I want to play a warforged who is actually a gnome in power armor. The DM will know this, but the other players will have to figure it out.

Graymayre
2009-04-03, 06:35 PM

You should look up the race Genasi. They're basically humanoid elementals (labeled Air Genasi, Flame Genasi, etc.)