PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Limiting the artificier

Myou
2009-03-28, 04:22 PM
After reading up on the class and seeing the current threads on the subject I'd like to find some fairly simpel way to rein them in a little.

Would it be an effective way to bring them down a tier if for purposes of meeting item prerequisites, an artificer’s effective caster level equaled his artificer level -2 instead of +2?

MeklorIlavator
2009-03-28, 04:39 PM
Do Infusions require caster levels/are they effected my them in any way? I don't really know Artificers, so that will determine my answer.

Myou
2009-03-28, 04:45 PM
Do Infusions require caster levels/are they effected my them in any way? I don't really know Artificers, so that will determine my answer.

No, the effective caster level is what he uses to make items with spells he doesn't have an infusion of. And since normally he gets a caster level of his class level + 2 he can cast spells 2 levels before actual spellcasters get them.

MeklorIlavator
2009-03-28, 04:58 PM
Hmm, still, that's a pretty big nerf. I'd say just have his effective CL=his Level.

Bayar
2009-03-28, 05:06 PM
Reducing the artificier's CL is a bad idea. He suddently gets underpowered. Not only does he have to craft spell storing items, he crafts it at the same level a normal caster (wizard) casts them normally). And he needs to make UMD checks to activate them.

A simple fix would be for the artificier to have the spell recorded first. Give him a spellbook and make him colect spells that he needs to use for items. But dont drop the +2 CL.

Myou
2009-03-28, 05:22 PM
Reducing the artificier's CL is a bad idea. He suddently gets underpowered. Not only does he have to craft spell storing items, he crafts it at the same level a normal caster (wizard) casts them normally). And he needs to make UMD checks to activate them.

A simple fix would be for the artificier to have the spell recorded first. Give him a spellbook and make him colect spells that he needs to use for items. But dont drop the +2 CL.

That doesn't make him any weaker though, it just means he has to buy scrolls.

And the +2 cl is just silly, he can cast higher level spells than those wo dedicate their whole lives to studying just one form of magic. And he does it for any spell.

Hmm, still, that's a pretty big nerf. I'd say just have his effective CL=his Level.

Making his CL=level is certainly better than level+2.

monty
2009-03-28, 05:28 PM
I love how the first three non-sticky threads on the page right now are all about artificers.

Myou
2009-03-28, 05:36 PM
I love how the first three non-sticky threads on the page right now are all about artificers.
I helped! =D