PDA

View Full Version : March Madness ITP

Lupy
2009-03-28, 05:37 PM
Strange we didn't already have one of these already, since the Elite 8 is almost done, but oh well, better late than never...

So, Elite 8 is here, the tournament will be over soon. Who are you pulling for? Why? Is your school still in? Do you think they'll win? Does your state shut down as much as North Carolina during the tournament?

__________________________________________________ _________________

I'm pulling for UNC, like every other not bland (State Fans!) or evil (you know who you are) North Carolinian, and I think we have a very good chance of winning. I would also like to give everyone supporting Nova a cookie for beating Duke; school on Monday will be priceless.

KnightDisciple
2009-03-28, 08:23 PM
BOOMER! SOONER! :smallbiggrin:

TheBST
2009-03-28, 09:11 PM
Comics and/or D&D fans?

Interested in sports?!

Insanity!

Sneak
2009-03-28, 09:29 PM
Comics and/or D&D fans?

Interested in sports?!

Insanity!

I concur.

I like playing some sports (ultimate [frisbee, to clarify, although saying that word disgusts me because I'm an ultimate snob], hockey [not ice, can't skate to save my life], badminton).

But watching them?

Boring.

Although I will watch baseball occasionally...and the superbowl, if I'm at a superbowl party...but that's about it.

Lupy
2009-03-28, 10:48 PM
Aww come on, someone else here must watch Basketball!

I mean, here in North Carolina you can't buy UNC and Duke items in the same stores half the time!

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-03-28, 11:04 PM
Lupy, actually I did have an NCAA tourney thread up the Monday after the brackets were set, but a forum shutdown, kinda ruined things. Anywho, I'm a big sports fan, especially baseball and college sports. There have been some pretty exciting games here this year, and I actually got to go to the second round games here in the Twin Cities. MSU/USC was a great game. My bracket has been completely shot over the last two days, and 3 out of my 4 final four teams are done. I'm hoping Sparty can come through for me, and beat Louisville, so I can go for an ofer in final four picks. That, and being an Ohio State fan, I gotta root for Big Ten schools.

@TheBST. There are far more sports fans on here than you might think

@ sneak if you don't like sports, or talking about or watching sports, then please just don't post rather than complain about it. That is one thing here that just really irritates me. There may not be a lot of sports fans in general here, but those of us there are would like to discuss things with somebody whining about it.

Sneak
2009-03-28, 11:14 PM
@ sneak if you don't like sports, or talking about or watching sports, then please just don't post rather than complain about it. That is one thing here that just really irritates me. There may not be a lot of sports fans in general here, but those of us there are would like to discuss things with somebody whining about it.

I wasn't complaining. I don't mind if other people watch sports, and I don't really even mind watching sports myself. I just don't particularly enjoy it, as my personal opinion is that watching sports isn't especially interesting.

I'm sorry if my sharing of my opinion offended you. I was unaware that would cause a problem and/or cause offense. I was under the impression that such behavior (sharing opinions about various topics) was common/acceptable on forums such as these, but if you still want me to, I will delete the post. That certainly was not my intent.

Also, I'm fairly certain that TheBST was joking.

I actually would have made a bracket myself if I followed basketball at all, as I enjoy that type of thing (like guessing the results of the Academy Awards). But I don't. So I won't. :smalltongue:

I actually have a question about bracket making. Do you all look up all the stats of the teams/players and whatnot beforehand, or do you just try to make an educated guess by yourself? I'm not quite sure how these things work, as I've never really followed basketball or cared about brackets.

Raistlin1040
2009-03-29, 02:56 AM
Oh gawds *shoves head under a pillow* Make it go awaaaaaaaaay!

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-29, 02:58 AM
BOOMER! SOONER! :smallbiggrin:

HECKS YES <3

zeratul
2009-03-30, 06:35 PM
Well after that slaughter of a game against Oklahoma it looks like the team I;ve been rooting for (SU) is out, so I geuss I'm rooting for UCONN now.

Lupy
2009-03-30, 06:58 PM
Well, provided a certain team doesn't go Supernova ( :smalltongue: ) I think UNC is going to the finals. :smallbiggrin:

And my money is on Michigan to win the other Semifinal game.

RTGoodman
2009-03-30, 09:26 PM
I'm not a huge basketball fan (though I do like college b-ball WAAAAAY better than pro basketball), but I do usually keep up with March Madness. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to fill out a bracket this year.

Of course, I can't really avoid it, since I live roughly 20 minutes from where they play a lot of the games from the early rounds (Greensboro Coliseum). Lupy, if you think NC in general is bad, just try getting AROUND Greensboro during March and you'd be shocked.

I'm not really a fan of Carolina (sorry :smallredface:), but I will that I've thought they'd go all the way this year and I haven't been disappointed.

Lupy
2009-03-30, 09:30 PM
I only live half an hour away from the Greensboro Coliseum, I know how it is. :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2009-03-30, 09:41 PM
Headcount, peoples: who waltzed into this thread fully expecting a discussion of the March Madness developer's contest at The Escapist?

I had, like, this long rant about the Turbine vs. Valve matchup.

snoopy13a
2009-03-30, 10:00 PM
My bracket is doing very well this year (picked 3 out of 4). In our little group for money, I'm tied for first. Neither of us can make up points on the other (we both have Louisville beating UNC in the final game) and no one else can make up enough points on us. Thus, it is going to come down to the points tiebreaker. So, I'm going to get either 1st place or 2nd place money.

evil-frosty
2009-03-30, 11:08 PM
I am pulling for Villanova just because my cousin goes there.

RTGoodman
2009-03-30, 11:16 PM
I only live half an hour away from the Greensboro Coliseum, I know how it is. :smalltongue:

Huh, didn't realize that - I thought all the other NC Playgrounders were out towards Raleigh or Charlotte, or else scattered in random far-off parts of the state? I'm down here in the High Point/Thomasville area.

skywalker
2009-03-31, 02:22 AM
I actually have a question about bracket making. Do you all look up all the stats of the teams/players and whatnot beforehand, or do you just try to make an educated guess by yourself? I'm not quite sure how these things work, as I've never really followed basketball or cared about brackets.

Some people do. Some people pay enough attention every year to be pretty sure who will make the final 4. After that... It's pretty much who shows up with their man-pants on. And there's always a chance that a boy shows up with man-pants and a man shows up without any pants at all. (That obscure metaphor means that sometimes a seemingly superior team gets beaten by a seemingly inferior team).

But, if you've been watching long enough, it's often easy to spot the boys with man-pants hanging in the closet, as well.

If you're a march madness fan for long enough, you can eventually make picks in your sleep. I picked most of the first round and half the final four correctly even tho I only watched about 4 of the teams this year.

In very broad terms, a team that has never been in the tournament before will falter, and you should always consider Duke :smallbiggrin:

Aww come on, someone else here must watch Basketball!

I mean, here in North Carolina you can't buy UNC and Duke items in the same stores half the time!

Well Lupy, my team lost in the first round, and after that first round (tainted for me) this tournament has pretty much sucked. No really good upsets, not many interesting games, just the usual suspects steam-rolling to the final four. I wish it was that way here, but our sporting goods stores tend to have massive selections of Alabama and Florida merchandise. About the only team we take seriously as far as hate is Kentucky, but we still sell their stuff. The number of "house divided" stickers I see around indicates that we mix a lot with those states tho, so it's to be expected. I have seen a man wearing Alabama gear in a sea of Orange with his wife. The announcer said "Throw 'im back girl, it's not worth it!"