PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Archer (3.5)

Skjaldbakka
2009-03-28, 08:38 PM
Is there a list somewhere of the spells that are legal for imbue arrow? a link to that would be appreciated if there is. Or advice in terms of good spells to take for use with imbue arrow. Right now I just have glitterdust (which is an awesome mental image, btw).

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-28, 08:42 PM
Good spells for Imbue Arrow:

AMF

Oh, you thought there were more?

Jack_Simth
2009-03-28, 09:15 PM
Is there a list somewhere of the spells that are legal for imbue arrow? a link to that would be appreciated if there is. Or advice in terms of good spells to take for use with imbue arrow. Right now I just have glitterdust (which is an awesome mental image, btw).

Not really a list, but it'll take any area spell. Fill it with your classic save-or-lose spells (Glitterdust, Stinking Cloud, Web), or something to make casters lose (Antimagic Field).

Flickerdart
2009-03-28, 09:24 PM
Anything that's a burst centred on you is a good spell to use, since it gets by a requirement it otherwise wouldn't be able to skirt. Close-range spells are good too, since you can get mad range on what otherwise would be a spell of limited use.

ericgrau
2009-03-29, 12:27 PM
http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20spellfilter/

Set class to wizard and aiming to area to find all usable spells. For more relevant spells, also set range to close or 10-60 ft. and perhaps set the spell level as well.

EDIT: Here.
Grease (close)
Shatter (close)

Deep Slumber (close)

Lesser Globe of invulnerability
Crushing Despair
Fear
Shout

Waves of Fatigue
Cone of Cold

Globe of invulnerability
Antimagic Field

Prismatic Spray
Waves of Exhaustion
Force cage (close)

Greater Shout

Mage's Disjunction (close)
Wail of the Banshee (close)

Chronos
2009-03-29, 08:19 PM
Also note that Imbue Arrow is not limited to arcane spells, so if you use a ranger entry, you could also put Entangle in it.

Berserk Monk
2009-03-29, 11:30 PM
There's a con I've always wanted to do with an arcane archer. Go into a shop and say you have a bunch of magical arrow. Then saw, you'd rather not waste time and money casting detect magic and identify magic object on them, so instead, just fire the arrows at some target and use your class abilities to turn it into a +something arrow.

Chronos
2009-03-30, 06:33 PM
Yeah, but how can the shopkeeper tell that you're shooting magic arrows? Maybe you just rolled well on attack and damage, or maybe you're just a slightly higher level.

Knaight
2009-03-30, 06:49 PM
It starts with being able to bend your arrows at a high level, then brilliant energy type stuff.

RebelRogue
2009-03-30, 07:01 PM
Stinking Cloud, Solid Fog, Cloudkill, Confusion, Web, Glitterdust, Grease and even Shout are all good choices that I've used succesfully playing an AA recently. I'm not really sure on the RAW legality, but I was allowed to Imbue Arrows with Wall of Fire. That felt pretty badass! :smallcool:

holywhippet
2009-03-30, 07:05 PM
But the shopkeeper isn't going to know if it's the arrows or your bow that is creating the enchantment. They are going to want to cast detect magic/identify to check that the goods are what you claim.

Myrmex
2009-03-30, 08:53 PM
Yeah, but how can the shopkeeper tell that you're shooting magic arrows? Maybe you just rolled well on attack and damage, or maybe you're just a slightly higher level.

And half of them would break.

Using the Nystul's line of obfuscating illusions would be easier.