PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] Static Wave

Ashes
2006-08-28, 12:45 PM
I made an electricity-based mage a few months ago and designed this spell to go along with her. PEACH?

Static Wave
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Effect: 10-ft. burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half, Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

Static Wave creates a wave of electrically charged air that streams outwards from the caster. It deals 1d6 points of Electricity damage/level (max 5d6). Those who fail their Reflex save must make a Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round. The stunning effect can affect creatures up to 6HD.
Material Components: A bit of steel wool.

*Edited for errors and suggestions.

martyboy74
2006-08-28, 12:48 PM
A fortitude save seems like it would be more appropriate for the stun.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-28, 01:09 PM
Does the 6 HD refer to the stun, the damage, or both? The wording is unclear.

Ashes
2006-08-28, 01:18 PM
Yeah, you're both right. Fixed it.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-28, 02:39 PM
Great. Now change the Saving Throw line to read "Reflex half, Fortitude partial" and we'll be all done here, I think.

Loren_and_Kivsith
2006-08-28, 04:30 PM
The duration says "instantaneous." Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that spells with instantaneous durations were typically only to create some non-magical object, or alter something permanently. Such as, if you turn someone into a non-magical lizard, it would be instantaneous because he turns into said lizard instantaneously. Maybe you should have a duration of "one move action" instead? And as I said before, I could be completely wrong on this.

Ashes
2006-08-28, 04:34 PM
The duration says "instantaneous." Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that spells with instantaneous durations were typically only to create some non-magical object, or alter something permanently. Such as, if you turn someone into a non-magical lizard, it would be instantaneous because he turns into said lizard instantaneously. Maybe you should have a duration of "one move action" instead? And as I said before, I could be completely wrong on this.

Damage spells have an 'Instantaneous"-duration as well.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-28, 04:35 PM
No. Instantaneous duration spells include most evocation spells, including: magic missile, burning hands, fireball, lightning bolt, and many others.

SilveryCord
2006-08-28, 06:49 PM
At first, I thought this was some damage spell that had an Apopsi-like effect on psions. Oh well. Good job anyway :)