PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, the other souls can understand Elvish?

Kaytara
2009-03-29, 01:58 PM
Like the title says. They've been responding to what the elves have been saying. Inconsistency, interesting detail, or something else? :smallwink:

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-03-29, 02:04 PM
They're uberpowerful, they've got to have some ranks in Speak Language.

And it's Elven.

Mannryu
2009-03-29, 02:17 PM
Maybe because they are inside V's mind, they understand elven just like s/he does. They did somehow forge with those elven brains, didn't they?

Or perhaps when they were still alive they took Elven as their second language in schools. :smallbiggrin:
Besides, being dead and dumped somewhere in lower plans, gives you plenty of time to study foreign languages.

Haven
2009-03-29, 02:45 PM
Sure, why not? Elvish is probably a pretty good choice to spend a bonus language slot on.

Silverraptor
2009-03-29, 02:54 PM
Maybe because they are inside V's mind, they understand elven just like s/he does. They did somehow forge with those elven brains, didn't they?

That's what I've been thinking.

brilliantlight
2009-03-29, 09:06 PM
It is a pretty common bonus language, it is one of the first I pick up when playing a non-elf.

Mr. Pin
2009-03-29, 09:11 PM
With the ridiculous intelligence bonus that any epic wizard definitely has, I'd say Ganonron for sure would pick up a fair # languages, and the others probably aren't int slouches either. Elven seems like a good choice for a bonus language, although it is a bit of a coincidence that all three would have it.

Zevox
2009-03-29, 09:22 PM
Sure, why not? Elvish is probably a pretty good choice to spend a bonus language slot on.
Basically this. Everyone gets one bonus language for each point of intelligence bonus right from level 1, and human Wizards generally have at least a +3 int bonus from the start, giving them several to choose. Elven is a pretty standard language to choose, since Elves are a fairly prominent race in most D&D settings. Even Jephthon as a Sorcerer probably has at least one bonus language, and could always spend a couple of skill points to pick it up if he wanted.

Zevox

V'icternus
2009-03-29, 10:24 PM
I'm gonna say that since they're only souls, inhabiting V's body, they can understand anything V does, and V can understand anything they do. It's called sharing. Isn't it wonderful? ^^

In an evil, fiendish kind of way...

Mannryu
2009-03-30, 07:58 AM
I'm gonna say that since they're only souls, inhabiting V's body, they can understand anything V does, and V can understand anything they do. It's called sharing. Isn't it wonderful? ^^

In an evil, fiendish kind of way...

Sharing is caring! :smallredface:

... wait what??

V'icternus
2009-03-30, 08:38 AM
Whoever said evil can't have sharing, hugs and puppies? Eeeeevil sharing, hugs and puppies!

Querzis
2009-03-30, 11:38 AM
Considering how many runes, ancient texts and magical spells are usually written in Elven the real question is: What kind of epic spellcaster doesnt know Elven. Thats like a demon summoner who cant talk Abyssal.

Volkov
2009-03-30, 02:16 PM
Only Draconic is a better language for spell casters to know than Elven/Elvish. Mainly because Dragons practically invented magic, psionics is the sole right of aboleths.

brilliantlight
2009-03-30, 10:12 PM
Considering how many runes, ancient texts and magical spells are usually written in Elven the real question is: What kind of epic spellcaster doesnt know Elven. Thats like a demon summoner who cant talk Abyssal.

Pretty much, only the lamest epic spellcaster doesn't know Elven.

V'icternus
2009-03-31, 06:35 AM
Heck, they might even be able to read minds. You never know with these high-level souls...

Or, maybe because they're souls, they can understand any language, because they've transended language itself? There are a lot of possibilities.

Volkov
2009-03-31, 07:30 AM
damn different computers.

Volkov
2009-03-31, 07:42 AM
oops double post.

Laughing Dragon
2009-03-31, 04:41 PM
While they do seem able to understand elven, they don't seem to be speaking it. I don't see any <translated from elven for your convenience> brackets around the splice-ees speeches.

Evil puppies??!! Gives a whole new twist to the phraise "lick your face off."

Mannryu
2009-04-01, 12:56 PM
Evil puppies are something Thog would like for sure.

.... Elven speaking evil puppies?? :smalleek: