PDA

View Full Version : The New Mach Infinity... [Morrowind Artifacts]

Maerok
2006-08-28, 05:12 PM
Mehrunes Razor (major artifact)
---
This ornamental dagger is clean-cut in its design, regal in appearance but not flashy as to make it really stand out. It is the Mehrunes Razor, a dagger of feared power crafted by Mehrunes Dagon, an insidious demon. Rumor has it that the blade can cut through armor, flesh, and bone in a single swipe. Even severing the soul itself. Such a weapon was hidden long ago in an ancient Elven city, but every so often it is rediscovered by a hapless adventurer.
---
As a +4 cold-iron dagger, but:
-On a natural 20, the opponent's soul is banished by the vile powers of the Razor. They are killed and their soul is destroyed. Doesn't affect Undead, Constructs, Oozes, or any other creature which has no soul. (Outsiders are vulnerable though)
-On a natural 19, the opponent is killed and their soul is trapped within a black sapphire the wielder is carrying, as per Soul Trap. The power of the dagger allows for a black sapphire to hold a soul up to three times its normal capacity. Doesn't affect Undead, Constructs, Oozes, or any other creature which has no soul. (Outsiders are vulnerable though)
-Ignores damage reduction and AC from armor.
-On a critical, automatic sunder attempt (+2 bonus to all rolls) against the opponent's armor, if any.

[hr]
Scourge [major artifact]
---
This strange mace looks almost axe-like, with heavy blade-like edges surrounding the head of the mace. Its fiercesome power is to summon anything it has killed to serve its wielder in combat.
---
+2 Heavy mace
-As a standard action, the wielder may summon a creature they have killed with Scourge that day as if it were by a Summon Monster spell (reanimating the corpse, along with any items still on it, and soul temporarily like a True Res spell). A target without a soul acts as if it had one. The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the wielder's HD, or until attacked by the wielder or their allies. The summoned creature will follow the wielder's verbal commands. At the end of the spell, the body and soul return to wherever they were prior to the effect. Any items recently placed on it fall to the ground, and any items it was summoned with disappear to the corpse. Once summoned or brought back to life, that creature cannot be summoned by Scourge unless it is killed by it again.
[hr]
Daedric Crescent [major artifact]
---
This fiercesome weapon was also crafted by Mehrunes Dagon. They were mass produced for use by an ancient demon army, but were rounded up and destroyed. One survived and was locked away in a special sanctuary. Many years ago, the sanctuary was breached and its guardian defeated. The Crescent has carved a vicious trail through the ages.
---
+3/+3 two-bladed sword, keen
-When a successful hit is made on an opponent, they must past a DC Will save equal to the damage done or become paralyzed until the wielder's next round.
-Ignores damage reduction.
-Attack penalty for using the Crescent two-handed is reduced to 0. ITWF's extra attack is at -3, and GTWF's extra attack is at -6.
-May make free sunder attacks in place of normal attacks during a full attack.
[hr]
Keening [major artifact]
---
One of Kagrenac's Tools, a set of two weapons created by the Dwarven lord Kagrenac, Keening is used in conjunction with Sunder and Wraithguard to manipulate the Heart of Lorkhan, a magical device granting divine power. It is also the only way to destroy the accursed Heart via 7 slashes with Keening and 3 strikes with Sunder (IIRC, please correct me). Wielding Keening without wearing Wraithguard is suicidal.
---
+5 short sword; keen, speed, vicious; weight 12 lbs
-+4 to all mental attributes
-+25 temporary hitpoints
-+2 to all saves
-After making an attempt to attack with this weapon without Wraithguard, the wielder is automatically killed. The power of this weapon defies any immunity to such an effect. Wielding both of Kagrenac's Tools unprotected will destroy the wielder, their soul, and their remains.
[hr]
Sunder [major artifact]
---
The brutal counterpart to Keening. This massive hammer crushes all that stand against it. Its weight is so immense that it can only be wielded in two hands. It can, however, be wielding one-handed with Keening. Like Keening, wielding it without the protection of Wraithguard will result in an instant demise.
---
+5 warhammer (two-hands needed); thundering, speed, wounding; weight 60 lbs
-+8 on sunder attempts
-+4 to all physical attributes
-1 points of non-lethal damage done to wielder every 1d4 rounds
-+25 temporary hitpoints
-+2 to all saves
-(see the last entry for Keening)
[hr]
Wraithguard [major artifact]
---
This gauntlet is the protection needed to wield Keening and Sunder safely. It was activated a long time ago by a hero who once wielded the Tools against the Heart of Lorkhan. The massive device was also created by Kagrenac.
---
Single gauntlet; 10 lbs
-SR 23
-Immunity to Keening and Sunder's destructive effects.
-Halves any energy damage/healing [acid, electricity, fire, cold, negative, positive, sonic].
-Immunity to disease and poison.

Loren_and_Kivsith
2006-08-28, 05:41 PM
I like it a lot. The concept of a blade that can cut anything isn't something I've seen before. My only critique might be that it doesn't quite seem good enough to be a major artifact. Major artifacts seem to always be like, gamebreaking good. While good, Mehrune's Razor isn't quite what I would call gamebreaking good. Close, but not quite. Maybe it ought to be a minor artifact?

martyboy74
2006-08-28, 05:56 PM
I like it a lot. The concept of a blade that can cut anything isn't something I've seen before.
You need to read The Subtle Knife.

Maerok
2006-08-28, 06:30 PM
I like it a lot. The concept of a blade that can cut anything isn't something I've seen before. My only critique might be that it doesn't quite seem good enough to be a major artifact. Major artifacts seem to always be like, gamebreaking good. While good, Mehrune's Razor isn't quite what I would call gamebreaking good. Close, but not quite. Maybe it ought to be a minor artifact?

Eh, for having to pay $2.99 on Xbox Live, I'll make sure its a major artifact. ;D Adding a few more Morrowind/Oblivion artifacts soon...

Added more.

Keening and Sunder and Wraithguard next.