PDA

View Full Version : Help me with killing this dude.

Roythebattousai
2009-03-29, 04:13 PM
DM gave us character info on a boss we're going to be fighting later today.

Our group consists of:

Duskblade, 6th (me.)
Wizard, 6th
Rogue, 6th
Cleric, 6th
Druid, 5th
and a dead wild mage, who is a zombie. (Still controlled by player.)

We have to kill this guy:

Haaes Raehlin; Tiefling (planetouched) Clr6
CR 6; ECL 7
Size M
HD 6d8+24; hp 60
Init +2
Spd 20 ft (base 30 ft)
AC 24, touch 11, FF 23
BAB +4
Grapple +6
Atk: +6 melee (1d3 + 2, Unarmed), +9 melee (1d10 + 5/crit x3, Halberd +3 (Adamantine))
SA Darkness; SQ Darkvision 60 ft., resistance to cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5
AL LE
SV Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +6
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 15.
Languages spoken: Common, Infernal.
Skills and Feats: Bluff +7, Concentration +8, Hide +1, Knowledge (Arcana) +6, Knowledge (History) +4, Knowledge (Local) +3, Knowledge (Religion) +5, Spellcraft +10
Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Armor Proficiency (Light), Armor Proficiency (Medium), Combat Expertise, Eschew Materials, Power Attack, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency.
Special Abilities: Aura, Bonus Languages, Darkvision, Domain Death, Domain Destruction, Domains, Spontaneous Casting, Turn or Rebuke Undead.
Clr Spells Known (5/4/3/2/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1/-1)
Possessions: 390 gp, Full plate +5, Halberd +3 (adamantine), Belt pouch, Silver holy symbol.

I thought of being near able to take him myself by, before entering combat, I could cast stretch weapon.(I'm wielding a spiked chain) Then when I was within 15 ft, away from his halberd, I could quickcast Truestrike, channel Shocking Grasp, then Trip him. I have Improved Trip, so after I trip him, I am free to hit him, while he's on the ground. Dealing damage and possibly stunning him.

I just know that I need to hit him, and bring him down quickly, so he can't Sanctuary himself.

Any other ideas?

Yuki Akuma
2009-03-29, 04:27 PM
You're a party of four level sixes, plus two, going up against a CR 6 encounter. Even if he is a cleric with ridiculous equipment.

Lock him down with trips and you basically win.

Seriously, this is a 'boss'? What sort of enemies does your party of six usually face?

(Okay, seriously, does your DM think the +5 full plate and +3 halberd make him a worthy adversary? He's just giving you free equipment that's far above your level.)

weenie
2009-03-29, 04:37 PM
Ummm, just arcane channel shocking grasp him to death? You could also start by tripping him, but I don't think that's even necessary.

AslanCross
2009-03-29, 04:42 PM
My party of five Lv 6 characters has taken down a Lv 11 Warblade in 3 rounds. Theoretically, the sheer ratio of actions your party has vs the one action the tiefling has is going to weigh heavily in your favor.

Typically against humanoid enemies, you just mob them. Ready actions to attack when he casts a spell; that way you can interrupt him and hopefully screw up his Concentration. Grappling might also work. Sanctuary has a somatic component, which makes it impossible to cast while grappling.

I don't see how this guy's a big threat, honestly; someone's bound to succeed on their will save against his sanctuary.

DownwardSpiral
2009-03-29, 04:43 PM
I agree with the above posters. He doesn't seem like a challange at all.

.....Make the druid wild shape into something useful. Have rogue/duskblade/cleric/druid bash it to death. I would suggest the wizard not waste spells on him. If you get lucky on initiative, you should kill him before he gets a turn.

Assassin89
2009-03-29, 04:56 PM
Apparently your enemy is not supposed to be a challenge. I do not understand why a cleric would have low wisdom.

I suggest targeting either his Reflex saves or his Will saves.

Siosilvar
2009-03-29, 05:04 PM
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 15.
Clr Spells Known (5/4/3/2)

He can't cast his 3rd level spells.

Starbuck_II
2009-03-29, 05:14 PM
We have to kill this guy:

HD 6d8+24; hp 60
AC 24, touch 11, FF 23
SV Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +6

Any other ideas?

He has low Wisdom for a Cleric. So you are worried about Sanctuary (then him summoning?)

Remember Sanctuary is a Will save (DC 12): you'll likely do okay unless dumped Wisdom too much.

What is your basic stats?

Jack_Simth
2009-03-29, 05:21 PM
I just know that I need to hit him, and bring him down quickly, so he can't Sanctuary himself.

Any other ideas?
Melee him to death? Seriously, if your opponent is actually built as-listed, he's a dead man walking (unless your party is really, really badly built). Even if he gets Sanctuary off, that's only a DC 12 Will save. The guy in the party with Wis-10, and a poor base Will save, has better than a 50/50 chance of beating that. Have you, the rogue, the cleric, and the Druid circle and flank him. Don't bother with buffs, really - they won't actually impact anything. Maybe have someone grapple him, maybe have someone ready actions to disrupt spellcasting, maybe both. Unless the DM is faking you out, the DM is REALLY good at optimizing (which would mostly mean he's not actually using the character sheet he showed you), or your party is really bad at building characters, that opponent is barely even a speedbump.

BRC
2009-03-29, 05:50 PM
Turn 1, you, the rogue, and the druid get into mele range, or at least the range where you threaten him.

Boom, you have effectivly neutralized his spellcasting. If he tries to cast anything, he gets spike chained, stabbed, and mauled. IIRC, that's 3 Concentration checks he has to make. If he fails any of them, no spell.

The thing about Casters vs Melee, is that a caster bascially has five options, In order of preferability
1) Avoid getting into AoO range (Fly is great for this)
2) Put somthing between them and the meeler.
3) Have good personal defenses (Blink, a high AC, ect) so they miss.
4) Have a really good Concentration check and some luck.
5) Die Horribly.

Most casters prefer plan 1. This guy here, all he's got is number 3. Really, if I were you, I would worry more about summons than sanctuary, as they have a better chance of stalling your party for a few rounds.

My advice, buy a few Tanglefoot Bags, or get your wizard to Web him.
Also, with those stats you posted, his spells will not only have easy saves, but he can't cast any above 2nd level.

Jack_Simth
2009-03-29, 06:24 PM
Turn 1, you, the rogue, and the druid get into mele range, or at least the range where you threaten him.

Boom, you have effectivly neutralized his spellcasting. If he tries to cast anything, he gets spike chained, stabbed, and mauled. IIRC, that's 3 Concentration checks he has to make. If he fails any of them, no spell.

Or he could cast defensively, and avoid the AoO's completely. Or he could use his move action on something that triggers an AoO, and use them up prior to his attempting to cast the spell. Unless you're readying an action to disrupt (which is recommended at this level) it's usually only going to be one concentration check.

Eldariel
2009-03-29, 06:25 PM
As said, you don't need help. The tides of the battle are ridiculously in your favour regardless of what he does; if he were at least level 7 and DMM: Persisting, it might be a challenge, but as it stands, you'll just throttle him without a lot of help (although I wouldn't be surprised if you faced him with 5 support characters for a "mirror match").

Flickerdart
2009-03-29, 06:26 PM
Sleight of Hand his Holy Symbol and Belt Pouch away. Then laugh.

Os1ris09
2009-03-29, 10:02 PM
Dude this fight is a LAUGH compared to the PC's in my campaign. They are LV 8 and have to fight a CR 11, then not even 5 rounds later a CR 16 without rest. Talk about tough. LOL I hate being the bad guy but they pissed of some pretty nasty people. :smallbiggrin: AND they are Yuan-ti Blackguard and an Undead person who has a nasty poison DC for them (DC 30 [fort] 2d6 Con/ 2d6 Con)

Tsotha-lanti
2009-03-29, 10:03 PM
Hit him. Seriously, don't have the casters waste spells, hit the guy until he drops dead. He can't even cast spells above 2nd level, and is a total joke as an opponent (by the party level vs. CR, you could expect to expend 10-15% of your resources, but the fact that you're 6 against 1 reduces that to 1-5%, and the fact that the opponent is actually more like CR 3 reduces it to 0%).

And why would a GM give out the stats of an enemy beforehand?

Ladorak
2009-03-29, 10:30 PM
And why would a GM give out the stats of an enemy beforehand?

I was wondering this. Is this part of some elaborate double bluff? I am quite intrested to hear how this ends up playing out.... I mean he can't be appearing on his own can him? And the WIS score has got to be a typo

Haven
2009-03-29, 10:37 PM
I was wondering this. Is this part of some elaborate double bluff? I am quite intrested to hear how this ends up playing out.... I mean he can't be appearing on his own can him? And the WIS score has got to be a typo

This is my bet. Don't get too cocky; you may have secretly failed a Gather Information check.

But if this really IS the encounter, have a chat with your DM about balancing.

KillianHawkeye
2009-03-30, 02:23 AM
I'll bet he's just a decoy that's meant to die. And THAT'S when a glabrezu pops out of his chest! Don't ask me how it fit inside there. The ways of demons are inscrutable. :smallamused::smallwink:

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-30, 02:58 AM
I agree about it looking too easy. Why is the Druid a level lower then everyone else?

Os1ris09
2009-03-30, 08:47 AM
I agree about it looking too easy. Why is the Druid a level lower then everyone else?

LOL if the DM is like me he probably already killed him. Thats just me though slaughter early and let the PC's learn the hard way. :smallbiggrin:

Sorry for this digress but this reminds me of an Awesome NPC I made. That sexy shoeless god of war from OOTS. My PC's now have a new nemisis that they have to fight. If anyone wants the stat's I'll gladly share them.

Fawsto
2009-03-30, 01:19 PM
Dude, your party is enough to kill this poor soul about 5 times before it starts getting chalenging.

You have 3 of the Power 5 and a Duskblade, which is not a small threat.

Just Grease the hell out of him and let the Cleric and the Druid rip the crap out of him while you and the Wizard keep him at bay.

The entire Group (except the Rogue) has good Will saves, even if this guy gets inside a sanc, he will only be wasting his actions.

Move close and bash him until he drops. Profit with his good equip.

Good luck... For him, he will need it.

chiasaur11
2009-03-30, 01:24 PM
I'll bet he's just a decoy that's meant to die. And THAT'S when a glabrezu pops out of his chest! Don't ask me how it fit inside there. The ways of demons are inscrutable. :smallamused::smallwink:

Or worse still, a Gazebo.

JackMage666
2009-03-30, 01:30 PM
This *must* be wrong. Wisdom is the NPCs lowest stat, and he's a Cleric. Even Intelligence and Charisma are higher than Wisdom, which is a BIG no-no. So, either the DM has no idea what's going on, or this is a dummy NPC.

TheDarkDM
2009-03-31, 02:31 AM
Also, as he lacks Martial Weapon proficiency, this guy ceases to be a credible melee threat with that halberd.

I agree with the above posts: either this "boss" is nothing but a decoy, or your DM is lacking in experience.

Deepblue706
2009-03-31, 02:49 AM
Uh...

If you win initiative, I say you grapple him. You don't even need Improved Grapple. Just do it. He can't get any attacks of opportunity if he's flat-footed.

Your party doesn't even need to expend any spells; just pin him, and have your friends stomp on him. A lot.

ShadowFighter15
2009-03-31, 02:51 AM
I think the fight's over; he said in the first post that he'd be fighting this guy later that day. It's been well over 24 hours since then so either game got postponed or he's forgotten to let us know how it went.

Killer Angel
2009-03-31, 05:20 AM
Maybe the guy is the chief of a huge tribe of tucker's kobold?
Unless he can count on a lot of friends (or powerful and vindicative parents), he's representig no danger for you, but only a source of overpowered (for your level) magic items.
And either I don't understand how you can know it's stats, equipment, etc.

Myou
2009-03-31, 06:36 AM
I think the fight's over; he said in the first post that he'd be fighting this guy later that day. It's been well over 24 hours since then so either game got postponed or he's forgotten to let us know how it went.

No no, his epic battle is still continuing. xD

Starbuck_II
2009-03-31, 09:17 AM
Or worse still, a Gazebo.

No, they fight inside a gazebo. And once they turn their backs to leave: it strikes!

dspeyer
2009-03-31, 10:08 AM
The OP was worried about sanctuary. That means the NPC isn't planning to fight. In fact, he's probably going to surrender, and the problem is to kill him (and take his stuff!) before the rest of the party accepts the surrender.

A spell of silence might be useful. Or you can let off an sonic AoE that 'accidentally' deafens your allies.

weenie
2009-03-31, 11:21 AM
In this case the Wizard should Deep slumber him. With a +6 will save, the chances of him making the save should be around 50%.

Roythebattousai
2009-03-31, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I never even thought of it being a decoy. DM says that it is going to be much harder than we imagine.

He's got 11 years DM'ing experience, so I'm pretty sure he knows what he was doing.

But I suppose it's a welcome easy throw, compared to those two devourers that nearly killed all of us.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-03-31, 09:55 PM
If you just fought 2 devourers and won, then this guy is not a credible challenge in the slightest. Any one of your characters should be able to beat him. Of course...*cue "ITS A TRAP!"*