PDA

View Full Version : Caster Level

Mindleshank
2009-03-29, 10:25 PM
Okay so i am trying to mulitclass Wizard/Assassin does the Caster Level add to my previous spells as a wizard or do they not stack

afroakuma
2009-03-29, 10:32 PM
They do not stack. Assassin and wizard casting are independent of one another.

Mindleshank
2009-03-29, 10:39 PM
One other thing then if i wanted to use a wand rod or potion that required a caster level would it still not stack

afroakuma
2009-03-29, 10:43 PM
They're not dependent on your caster level unless you make them. If you make them, they have the caster level of the class whose spell you used to make them.

So no; they do not stack.

Curmudgeon
2009-03-29, 10:48 PM
Your question doesn't make sense. Wands require you to have a particular spell on your spell list, and nothing else. Rods and potions have no requirements at all. None of these things are dependent on caster level.
Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell.

Rods are scepterlike devices that have unique magical powers and do not usually have charges. Anyone can use a rod.
Potions are like spells cast upon the imbiber. The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect —the caster who brewed the potion has already done so.

KillianHawkeye
2009-03-30, 02:09 AM
Understand that Assassin has its own spellcasting progression. It does not advance existing spellcasting. So, it would be just like if you multiclassed between Wizard and Cleric: you'd end up with two distinct spell groups each with their own spell slots and caster level which are entirely unrelated to each other.

Also, Curmudgeon is right that wands, potions, and rods have no caster level requirements and gain no caster level-based effects except what was set by the creator at the time the item was created. In fact, the only items that access the user's caster level are staffs, but it only affects the range and duration and such. But again, you'd have to choose which of your two seperate caster levels when activating a staff (assuming the spell in the staff is on both spell lists).

I hope that clears everything up. Or maybe it was just too much information? I dunno. :smallconfused::smallwink: