PDA

View Full Version : [Template] Shut off your mind!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-17, 11:23 AM
Elbrun

Species with natural psionic talents are not often born knowing how to use their talents. But occassionally there is an individual who is born with his unprotected mind wide open to everything about him. Every thought, every emotion, pains and loves, wants and needs, all constantly wash against him like a surging tide that never stops. These individuals often die young, unable to cope with the persistent surge, or lose their own identity to those around them. Some however are possessed naturaly of a strong personality, and have the resilience to endure the stress of every creature around trying to influence their thoughts. Thus elbruns tend to be found only in unpopulated wilderness where they seek mental solace.

Sometimes elbruns dedicate themselves to diplomatic services, resigning themselves to a life of pain in exchange for a hope of peace between the rivals. Insane elbruns, or those with a masochistic bent may also be found within towns and cities.

Sample Elbrun

This maenad's face is preternaturally aged, with lines of stress etched into the pale, glimmering skin. The eyes though, they are alive and alert, and they seem to look into your very soul...

Elbrun Maenad, 1st-Level Warrior
Medium Humanoid (Maenad, Psionic)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+3 studded leather, +1 light shield), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Longsword +3 melee (1d8+1/19-20) or longbow +1 ranged (1d8/x3)
Full Attack: Longsword +3 melee (1d8+1/19-20) or longbow +1 ranged (1d8/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Psi-like abilities
Special Qualities: Enochlophobia, naturally psionic, outburst, telepathy
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will -2
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +3, Jump +3
Feats: Weapon Focus (longsword)
Environment: Warm hills
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +3

Combat
Elbrun maenad's will often do anything they can to send those nearby away without resorting to violence, for they feel every pain and hint of fear as their foe does itself. Traps and wards are often left to discourage others from coming near. If they must however the elbrun maenad will use their energy ray and run from the insuing wave of agony.

Enochlophobia (Ex): As long as an elbrun can use his telepathic abilities he acts as if Shaken in areas where the number of living, intelligent creatures total more than 10 x Elbrun's HD.

Naturally Psionic: An Elbrun maenad gains 4 bonus power points.

Outburst (Ex): Once per day for up to 4 rounds a maenad can subjugate his mentality. He takes a -2 penalty to Intelligence and Wisdom but gains a +2 bonus to Strength.

Psi-Like Abilities: Manifester level is equal to the creature’s HD (minimum 1st). The save DCs for an elbrun maenad's psi-like abilities are Charisma-based. These power's range are manifested as if the creature had the Enlarge Power feat.

Continuous - Detect Hostile Intent, Empathy, Read Thoughts
3/day - Aura Sight, Correspond
1/day - Energy Ray (sonic only), Mind Probe

Telepathy (Su): An elbrun maenad can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has an Intelligence score. The creature can respond to the elbrun if it wishes - no common language is needed

-=-=-=-

Creating an Elbrun
“Elbrun” is an inherited template that can be added to any living creature with an intelligence score of at least 4 (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”). An elbrun uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: The creature’s type does not change. It gains the psionic subtype.
Special Qualities: An elbrun retains all the special qualities of the base creature, and also gains the following:
Enochlophobia (Ex): As long as an elbrun can use his telepathic abilities he acts as if Shaken in areas where the number of living, intelligent creatures total more than 10 x Elbrun's HD.
Telepathy (Su): An elbrun can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has an Intelligence score. The creature can respond to the elbrun if it wishes - no common language is needed.

Psi-Like Abilities (Sp): Manifester level is equal to the creature’s HD. The save DCs for an elbrun's psi-like abilities are Charisma-based. These power's range are manifested as if the creature had the Enlarge Power feat.

Continuous - Detect Hostile Intent, Empathy, Read Thoughts
3/day - Aura Sight, Correspond
1/day - Mind Probe
Naturally Psionic: An Elbrun gains 4 bonus power points.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Wis -2, Cha +2.
Feats: An elbrun can take psionic feats, if it meets the prerequisites for such feats.
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.
Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +3.

Catch
2006-06-17, 11:33 AM
See, this is why I like VT's stuff. It always has a great odd flavor to it. Very nice work. It seems balanced enough, though I'm not sure about the LA. The ability score bonuses balance against each other, and the "Enochlophobia" ability offsets the telepathy. That just leaves the Psi-like abilities. It's certainly a +2 LA, but it just doesn't seem powerful enough to make it LA +3. Of course, this is me thinking as playing with this template. As an NPC, who really gives a hoot? :P

Great work, VT. I like.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-06-17, 11:34 AM
I'd agree on the +2 LA, but mayhap my thinking is muddled and muddied by all them thoughts around me. ;)

Awesome as always, useable.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-17, 11:48 AM
That just leaves the Psi-like abilities.
Aye, but look at what they give you.

#1. Telepathy with near anything within 100 feet.
#2. Cannot be surprised or caught flat-footed.
#3. Can make a Sense Motive check as a free action.
#4. +2 to Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks (+4 because of the Charisma boost actually).
#5. 4 extra power points. This allows a 1st and 2nd level psion for example to manifest over twice as many powers per day.
#6. You automatically know everything everyone around you is thinking. Ask a guard what a password is for example. Even if he doesn't answer, he will in fact think about it.
#7. All of this is permanent.

etc etc.

Thats pretty nice even for +2 LA. Psionic Githyanki have a +2 LA and they are a good deal weaker.

Great work, VT. I like./ Awesome as always

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-06-17, 11:49 AM
Hmm...didn't consider the 'naturally psionic' bit.

I withdraw my critique.

Renloth
2006-06-17, 12:11 PM
Out of curiosity, how large is this "area"?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-17, 12:17 PM
Out of curiosity, how large is this "area"?
The area that his telepathic powers reach. Anything past that wouldn't be sensible (in both usages of the word ;) )

martyboy74
2006-08-27, 09:14 PM
So, what would happen if you made a centered elbrun? It's makes RPing sense; they tried to shut out the voices in their head. But does anything happen to their enochlophobia?

The Demented One
2006-08-27, 09:17 PM
Aren't Centered immune to fear effects?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-27, 09:39 PM
Aren't Centered immune to fear effects?
Yup. So its actually quite likely an Elbrun would become a Centered just to remain sane.

Btw, a nudge of the hypothalamus to anyone who can tell me where the name of this template came from ;)

(Googling don't count)

martyboy74
2006-08-27, 09:44 PM
You mean this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tam_Elbrun) guy?

For the record, you really should have used a more generic term.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-27, 09:47 PM
You mean this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tam_Elbrun) guy?

For the record, you really should have used a more generic term.
Whys that?

Gralamin
2006-08-27, 11:41 PM
There's only a few Betazoid ever shown, and lwaxana, Deanna, and troi would be to obvious.

Must randomly look up every betazoid ever named.

edit: okay so theres the above, + Deanna's son who doesn't really count. Wyatt Miller who was 'bonded' to Deanna at a young age. Deanna's Sister Kestra, and Devinoni Ral who negotiated for a wormhole in one eposide.

this trekkie feels better

Traveling_Angel
2006-08-28, 12:56 AM
The problem here is if you count animals. why? because there is almost nowhere to go in order to stay un-shaken

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-28, 02:09 AM
There's only a few Betazoid ever shown, and lwaxana, Deanna, and troi would be to obvious.

Must randomly look up every betazoid ever named.

There is also Suiter from Voyager. However, only Elbrun had this unique condition.

The problem here is if you count animals. why? because there is almost nowhere to go in order to stay un-shaken
Meant sentient when I put intelligent.

Single Shot Zombie
2006-08-28, 10:03 AM
For a template that has a Charisma bonus, the elbrun seems to have rather anti-social tendencies. Must be quite insane, having everyone's thoughts flood into your mind at once.

Does anything bad happen to an elbrun that's stuck in a crowded area for too long? Such as forcefully dumping him right smack in the middle of a crowded market place........

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-28, 10:56 AM
For a template that has a Charisma bonus, the elbrun seems to have rather anti-social tendencies.
The Charisma results from always knowing how another is feeling and their mood.

Does anything bad happen to an elbrun that's stuck in a crowded area for too long? Such as forcefully dumping him right smack in the middle of a crowded market place........
He becomes Shaken. Any that've survived their childhood with this can block it out at least enough to retain sanity.

Single Shot Zombie
2006-08-28, 11:18 AM
Damn. No elbrun wilders/sorcerors going nuts and blasting people to "shut them up", then.

Ah well, it could still be roleplayed. :P

(V Indeed. And now I feel like playing one of these........)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-28, 11:24 AM
Damn. No elbrun wilders/sorcerors going nuts and blasting people to "shut them up", then.

Ah well, it could still be roleplayed. :P
Sure, you don't neccessarily have to be insane to get fed up and start blasting folks...

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-28, 05:33 PM
#4. +2 to Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks (+4 because of the Charisma boost actually).Wouldn't it only be +3 total, since the +2 Charisma boost would only increase the modifier by 1?

Anyways, this in an awesome template. You could make some pretty cool stuff with this.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-28, 05:42 PM
Besides which, Sense Motive is Wis-based.

That aside, I concur with BtM.