PDA

View Full Version : wilder: not as bad as I thought

Samb
2009-03-29, 11:37 PM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=487972

Ok I used to think that the wilder class was very lackluster but after reading that link I have a better opinion of it now. It is more comparable to a psionic warlock, in that it does a few things but does it very well, thanks to wild surge.

Most effective PCs play this as a Gish surprisingly. It has the same BAB as an ardent or psiwarrior, but i can't wear heavy armor. Meaning it will be using its powers to make up for AC.

It has the same amount of PP as a psion of the same level, and a means to refill PP (bestow power+ earth power and/or torc+ wild surge +2 or +3). This trick might not be appoved in many tables, but some (myself included) feel that wilder cannot compete without it and it is legal by RAW.

Main thing stopping from going nova every encounter is the psychic enervation which will not only drain your PP but daze you for a turn. Ways to get around this is quick recovery feat (LoM) and enervation endurance. Taking a dip into swordsage for the diamond mind move that uses concentration checks for will saves will be great too, and increases your offensive abilities.

Some DMs will allow you use talented feat to apply to surges, since overchannel and wild surge do the same thing and cannot be used together, and count towards requirements for anarchic initiate, hence legal by RAI. This is a huge bonus since you can use all level 3 and under powers without worry and allows you to nova if you so choose. Not that a wilder nova is that great but it can allow you to extend power effects and with extend power and wild surge they can last all day making you a semi decent front liner.

The link provides a much more complete guilde. I just wanted to share with everyone.

Zaq
2009-03-30, 04:27 AM
I had the opportunity to play a Wilder (level 7) in a one-shot a few weeks ago. The Vigor/Share Pain/Psycrystal trick mentioned in that link is indeed pure gold, and Claws of the Beast (from Expanded Knowledge), Surged and augmented to insane levels, gave me something to do in melee besides "I can survive forever!" Crystal Shard was my other big trick, standard procedure. I had fun, and I was pretty effective overall. However, I can't see it working as anything other than a gish, really. They're just too limited in what they can do (even a Warlock learns more invocations than they do powers, not counting eldritch blast!), and I can see them getting really boring after a few levels simply because you don't learn new tricks fast enough. Unfortunately, I think they do pretty much completely rely on the Vigor trick mentioned above (and while that trick is damn powerful, any class that more or less HAS to use one specific trick like that to be taken seriously is kind of iffy), limiting their options even more and really confining them to more or less a single build skeleton, but within that (confining) framework they do have an opportunity to shine.

Or, you know, you can just use them to see how many dice you can plonk down on the table at once. We all know direct damage isn't that great, but if you want the visceral feeling of taking a huge handful of dice out of your bag and rolling them all in a single round, it's a passable way to do so, at least in the early levels.

Talic
2009-03-30, 04:40 AM
For what its worth, certain psionic abilities are easier to pull of as a wilder. For example, with Wild Surge, you can, at level 16, get enough power points to persist the power that makes you immune to everything for a round. Now, you're immune to everything for a day.

Invulnerable Gish's are nice. :)