PDA

View Full Version : There is no Goblin

kpenguin
2009-03-30, 03:40 AM
In the most recent strips, Vaarsuvius, Kyrie, and their children are shown speaking with the "<>" around their text bubbles, indicating that they are speaking in a language other than Common, most likely Elven.

However, when Redcloak or any other goblin speaks with another goblin, they do not have these markings around their text bubbles. This means, to me, the Goblin language does not exist within the OotSverse.

DrGonzo
2009-03-30, 03:45 AM
Maybe they are goblins from different regions, and they allespeak different dialects.. So they all need to speak common to understand eachother.

I know, it's a longshot.

kpenguin
2009-03-30, 03:47 AM
Actually, that is my explanation for why the IFCC is speaking in common with each other and with Karr. They are all from different regions of the Lower Plains each speak different fiendish languages such as Infernal and Abyssal.

Goblins have always been established as having one language. Come to think of it, this means dwarves don't have a language either. They just have accented Common.

DrGonzo
2009-03-30, 03:56 AM
So we've only seen common, elven and lizard (See 182)..

Maybe the Dwarves stopped speaking their own language because they came in contact with so many humans? And the elven lands where V comes from haven't been "tainted" with common yet?

Zerg Cookie
2009-03-30, 04:16 AM
I think that Rich told us they speak Goblin so that we know the kids can' speak common, so they can't understand the dragon

X2
2009-03-30, 04:25 AM
Hey thats a good point!

Imagine a one language world. That would be... boring.

Another thought occurs... did Rich maybe just think to use <>?

Mannryu
2009-03-30, 08:12 AM
What about very very VERY long ago in a comic#10 [sorry, no link]? In the very first panel you can see goblins saying "Shuk da yub-yub" and "Gruuta". That doesn't really sound common to me.

Saint Nil
2009-03-30, 08:28 AM
The lady is right you know (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0010.html)

Studoku
2009-03-30, 09:10 AM
In my opinion, the Elven was so Kyrie and the kids could use a gender-neutral parent noun.

DrGonzo
2009-03-30, 09:13 AM
Hmm..

So that dialect theory is back in business.. :smallcool:

V'icternus
2009-03-30, 09:22 AM
In my opinion, the Elven was so Kyrie and the kids could use a gender-neutral parent noun.

I'm gonna have to agree with this. That, and the fact that non-adventurng Elves probably don't know common, whereas Goblins are listed as speaking it.

dps
2009-03-30, 02:59 PM
I think that Rich told us they speak Goblin so that we know the kids can' speak common, so they can't understand the dragon

?????

Uh, it looks like English, but it doesn't make any sense.

Zanaril
2009-03-30, 05:31 PM
Maybe it indicates that the language differences will have a purpose some time in the future?

BlueWizard
2009-03-30, 07:03 PM
You can see it how you want I am sure.

kusje
2009-03-30, 08:09 PM
Goblin teenagers spoke common to Haley and gang.

Lord Zentei
2009-03-30, 08:36 PM
Another thought occurs... did Rich maybe just think to use <>?

Yea, I think that's it. The goblin was simply translated without <>s.

Perhaps another idea could have been to use different font types for different languages, though that might perhaps be a chore to maintain.

Could be a nod to ElfQuest, too (there, the human language had <>s).

Kranden
2009-03-30, 09:37 PM
The goblins are all speaking common.

I think Xykon would most likely kill anybody around him speaking a language he doesn't know. And you cant say he would have learned goblin by now, because he just wouldnt care enough.

Lupy
2009-03-30, 09:48 PM
I think Xykon would most likely kill anybody around him speaking a language he doesn't know.

Fixed it for ya. :smallbiggrin:

RationalGoblin
2009-03-30, 09:59 PM
"There is only Zuul!"

I mean, yeah, the folks that said that Xykon would kill anyone around him that didn't speak Common are probably right.

Mr. Pin
2009-03-30, 10:13 PM
Well, if I was a goblin who had to speak to Xykon in common, I would sure want to get in practice by speaking it whenever possible. Although this is putting too much thought into the thing; obviously The Giant just came up with the whole <> thing recently.

ericgrau
2009-03-30, 10:32 PM
I think it's to distinguish between those speaking elven and those speaking common in this strip. Also to explain why the kids say things like "parent" and "other parent". If everyone were speaking elven, there might be less reason to use the brackets.

As for the goblins, they could just as easily switch back and forth. Maybe they all really are speaking goblin, or maybe they're speaking common because they're used to speaking it around their employer and they're just as comfortable with common. After all, most races including goblin get common as an automatic language, not just a secondary one.

JonestheSpy
2009-03-31, 08:28 PM
Can't help bumping this up to note that there is a classical precedent for Common-speaking goblins. In the Lord of the Rings, the source of so much original DnD material, the hobbits were able to understand what the orcs/goblins were saying, and it was specifically explained that they spoke the common tongue of men because the different tribes couldn't understand each other's dialects.

3Power
2009-04-01, 11:57 AM
I would like to point out that the only times <> are used are when a distinction needs to be made. In other words, they are speaking goblin, but that distinction doesn't need to be made.

See "Translation Convention (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TranslationConvention).

Silverraptor
2009-04-01, 12:17 PM
I think common is called common because it's commonly known.:smallwink: As it it's a standard language used to have inter-species relations.

Linkavitch
2009-04-01, 12:52 PM
Maybe they are goblins from different regions, and they allespeak different dialects.. So they all need to speak common to understand eachother.

I know, it's a longshot.

Actually, that's a quite plausible explanation. Give yourself a hand. And a cookie.:biggrin:

DrGonzo
2009-04-02, 01:59 AM
Check, and check! :smallsmile:

Haven
2009-04-02, 11:45 AM

That's my assumption as well. He used it for the sake of that gag.

I think it's safe to say they're still speaking Elven in 642 even though the angle brackets are gone.

Salty
2009-04-02, 12:36 PM
I think Xykon would most likely kill anybody around him speaking a language he doesn't know.Fixed it for ya. :smallbiggrin:

You missed a spot. :smallbiggrin:

DrGonzo
2009-04-03, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Lupy

Originally Posted by Kranden
I think Xykon would most likely kill anybody around him speaking a language he doesn't know.

And another one :smallbiggrin:

Tass
2009-04-03, 04:41 AM

And another one :smallbiggrin:

Fourth fix :smallbiggrin:

Gnomish Wanderer
2009-04-03, 05:56 AM

Five?!?

Yes.