PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Awk!  Buried Treasure

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-28, 12:41 AM
Pirrot
Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 1d10 (5 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 10 feet (2 squares), Fly 50 feet (average)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Size, +4 dex), Touch 16, Flat-Footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-11
Attack: Talons +5 melee (1d3-4)
Full Attack: Talons +5 melee (1d3-4)
Space/Reach: 2 1/2'/0'
Special Attacks: Control Winds
Special Qualities: Evasion, Pirate's Luck, Darkvision 60', Low-Light Vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 19, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Bluff +9*, Concentration +4, Diplomacy +9* Escape Artist +8, Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +4*
Feat: Alertness, Weapon Finesse (b)
Environment: Temperate to Warm Aquatic
Organization: Solitary or Ship (1-3 + 10-40 humanoids)
Challenge Rating:
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 2-4 HD (tiny)
Level Adjustment: -

A Pirrot (pronounced with the first syllable of "pirate" and the second of "parrot") looks much like an ordinary parrot, but that appearance belies its human-like intellect and cunning. They are seen as good luck by pirates, and actively seek them out, trying to insinuate themselves into the crew, often by associating closely with the captain. However, they are quite demanding, once they control a ship, asking that the ship bury coins and gems 50 gold pieces per crewman each month, on secluded beaches and deserted islands. The Pirrots never tell the purpose of this, but it is always of direst importance to them. Pirrots speak Common, Aquan, and Terran.

Combat: A Pirrot usually avoids combat, but, when pressed into combat, scratches with its talons. It usually relies on its spell-like abilities to support its crew instead of fighting in melee.

Control Winds (sp): A Pirrot can cast Control Winds, as the spell cast by a 10th level druid, at will.

Evasion (ex): When a Pirrot is affected by any effect that allows a reflex save for half damage, the Pirrot instead takes no damage on a successful save.

Pirate's Luck (su): A Pirrot grants a +2 luck bonus on Balance, Profession (Sailor), Survival, and Use Rope checks, attack rolls, saving throws, and armor class to all allies on the same ship as it. These benefits last a maximum of 10 minutes after the beneficiary leaves, and an ally can only leave with the benefits once per hour. The Pirrot does not recieve these benefits.

Pirrots as Familiars: A Pirrot can be a familiar to any mage who spends at least three months out of every year aboard a ship, has the Improved Familiar feat, and is at least 7th level.

Skills: A Pirrot has a +6 racial bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks, and uses its Dexterity, rather than Strength, modifier for Swim checks.

Peregrine
2006-08-28, 05:10 AM
A Pirrot (pronounced with the first syllable of "pirate" and the second of "parrot")
Is it only my particular English dialect that pronounces the second syllables of those words exactly the same? ;)

Quite a cool idea though. Me, I'd like to see a Chaotic Evil one using its lucky reputation to insinuate itself into a crew, and take over...

It could possibly do with more HD.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-28, 02:37 PM
My pronounciation pronounces it "Pirate" too. No, it's not just you; I wrote it that way.

It's really a support creature that sits around hidden; really, giving a pirate's lucky parrot one HD is a bit stretchy.

I'm working on a bigger, undead version that can re-animate its crew and turn it into a ghost ship for the CE version. The Pirrot itself is more of a follower/leech creature, although it might end up de facto captain, if it gets the captain's ear well enough.

Hmm. . . Maybe that means it should get some divination powers, too.