PDA

View Full Version : CHA Boosting Items? (3.5)

Rhiannon87
2009-03-30, 10:42 AM
I'm looking for items to boost my charisma skill checks that are not one of the following:

- Cloak of Charisma. With this character's compulsive multi-classing, I need my cloak of resistance +4 to have good saves.
- Circlet of Persuasion. Need the headband of intellect more for the psion levels. (Wheee telepathic spymaster)
- The ioun stone that boosts my CHA. I know it exists, and if it's my only option I'll probably suck it up and buy it, but it's really not worth the money, imo, not to mention I don't much like the idea of my character having a little rock orbiting her head from a purely fluff standpoint.

So! What other delightful items are in existence? Pretty much anything is open at this point, as far as books go-- my DM will allow damn near anything, so long as it isn't horrifically broken. Thanks in advance!

Douglas
2009-03-30, 10:55 AM
Cloak of Charisma and Resistance.
Circlet of Persuasion and Intellect.

See the back of the Magic Item Compendium, pages 233-234 I think. You don't even have to pay extra for the combination since these are "basic" enhancements. You do have to pay for each ability, but there's no surcharge just for combining them on one item.

Telonius
2009-03-30, 11:16 AM
You can craft an item that gives +x to a given skill check. A one-use Elixir would follow the costs and guidelines of an Elixir of Sneaking; an item with Competence bonuses would follow the Cloak of Elvenkind.

Starbuck_II
2009-03-30, 12:32 PM
Luck Stone.

lsfreak
2009-03-30, 01:44 PM
Any item can potentially be made slotless; that's what Ioun Stones are, just with fluff. Instead of a floating stone, make it a belt buckle or an earring or a strip of cloth you wrap around your arm. Costs (bonus^2)*2 to make it slotless, or you could just make it a weird slot (look at my leggings of charisma!) for 50% base rather than double.

The best thing though would just to get a cloak of resistance and charisma or the like.

Zherog
2009-03-30, 05:01 PM
- Cloak of Charisma. With this character's compulsive multi-classing, I need my cloak of resistance +4 to have good saves.

Another alternative here is to grab a vest of resistance (found in both Complete Arcane and Magic Item Compendium) to free up the cloak slot for a cloak of Charisma.

Another item not mentioned, at least when I first loaded this thread, is a tome of leadership and influence.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-30, 05:31 PM
- Cloak of Charisma. With this character's compulsive multi-classing, I need my cloak of resistance +4 to have good saves.Have you considered the UA fractional saves variant? It makes multiclassing suck less. The other alternative is a 2-level dip in Paladin or something for Cha to saves. Then the cloak does dual-purpose duty. What's your exact build? We can probably make you more SAD.

Dhavaer
2009-03-30, 05:44 PM
The Rod of Splendour gives +4 to Charisma.

Chronos
2009-03-30, 05:59 PM
There's also the Belt of Magnificence, which boosts all of your ability scores at once. It's a bargain if you genuinely need all of them, but probably overpriced for just 2 or 3 scores. It's the same bonus type as most other ability score boosters (competence), so it'd replace your circlet of intellect.

Suedars
2009-03-30, 06:08 PM
Most ability score boosters, whether they're items or spells, are enhancement, not competence.

monty
2009-03-30, 06:22 PM
There's also the Belt of Magnificence, which boosts all of your ability scores at once. It's a bargain if you genuinely need all of them, but probably overpriced for just 2 or 3 scores. It's the same bonus type as most other ability score boosters (competence), so it'd replace your circlet of intellect.

Assuming I remember right and it's 200,000 for the belt, it's only worth it if you need all six, since five of them separately would be cheaper (180,000 for 5; 216,000 for 6), and with MIC rules for simple enchantments, body slots aren't an issue, so it's only good for really MAD characters. Also, it's an enhancement bonus, although that was already mentioned.

Chronos
2009-03-30, 07:09 PM
Yeah, my mistake on the bonus type; it's skills that are almost always competence. The Belt and the Headband are both enhancement.

Os1ris09
2009-03-30, 08:24 PM
Assuming I remember right and it's 200,000 for the belt, it's only worth it if you need all six, since five of them separately would be cheaper (180,000 for 5; 216,000 for 6), and with MIC rules for simple enchantments, body slots aren't an issue, so it's only good for really MAD characters. Also, it's an enhancement bonus, although that was already mentioned.

What book is that belt in? I may use that in my LVL 30 campaign.

Chronos
2009-03-30, 08:55 PM
Miniatures Handbook, and probably also Magic Item Compendium.

Rhiannon87
2009-03-30, 09:29 PM
Have you considered the UA fractional saves variant? It makes multiclassing suck less. The other alternative is a 2-level dip in Paladin or something for Cha to saves. Then the cloak does dual-purpose duty. What's your exact build? We can probably make you more SAD.

We're pretty well into the game, so rules changes aren't going to be an option. My character is a N human rogue1/fighter4/spymaster6, with plans to go into psion next level. Optimized? Hell no, but the best damn roleplay character I've ever made. The CHA booster is mostly in pursuit of that end; INT and CHA skills are very important for this character, and as I'm picking up a headband of INT +4, CHA is the one I still need.

As far as some suggestions: combining things as per the magic item compendium strikes me as more than a little broken. I might run it past my DM, but I have a feeling he's going to veto that.

I saw the vest of resistance, but my DM ruled that since I have magic armor (+2 mithral breastplate with light fortification), I can't wear a magic item in the torso slot.

The Belt of Magnificence is so incredibly beyond my price range, sadly. I'll go and look up the Luck Stone and Rod of Splendor to see if they're within range; I really don't want to spend too much on a CHA boosting item.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone! :smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2009-03-30, 09:44 PM
Armor doesn't use the Torso slot. It uses the Body slot (as in your whole body). They don't conflict. You can wear the vest under the armor.

EDIT: Of course, what the DM says is what happens. I just posted this in case your DM misunderstood the official rules on equipping magic items. Listen to your DMs, kids! :smallwink:

Os1ris09
2009-03-30, 10:22 PM
Thank you for helping me find that item.

As for listening to your DM. LOL "listen to your DM," then twist the rules in your favor. No one say's you can not put a resistance bonus for save's on your armor. :smalltongue:

monty
2009-03-30, 11:47 PM
Thank you for helping me find that item.

As for listening to your DM. LOL "listen to your DM," then twist the rules in your favor. No one say's you can not put a resistance bonus for save's on your armor. :smalltongue:

You can, but it would cost 1.5x, because save bonuses only have an affinity for the shoulder and torso slots.

Douglas
2009-03-31, 12:01 AM
As far as some suggestions: combining things as per the magic item compendium strikes me as more than a little broken. I might run it past my DM, but I have a feeling he's going to veto that.
On the contrary, I consider it absolutely necessary for game balance and therefore a fix, not broken. The situation without combining things like this is what's broken. Game balance, such as it is in 3.5, expects you to have a certain amount of EVERY standard numeric bonus from equipment all at once. Without combining items, this makes using most actual interesting magic items nearly impossible due to slot conflicts and, in some cases, even has slot conflicts between the items you're "supposed" to have. With MIC rules you can actually meet those expectations.

Even if your DM disagrees with that, though, the pre-MIC rules still allow combining items, they just charge a 50% markup on every item but the most expensive in each combination. See adding new abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#addingNewAbilities).

I saw the vest of resistance, but my DM ruled that since I have magic armor (+2 mithral breastplate with light fortification), I can't wear a magic item in the torso slot.
Have you pointed out to your DM that "One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso" is quite explicitly a separate and independent slot from "One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt)" according to the list of body slots (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody)?

monty
2009-03-31, 12:39 AM
On the contrary, I consider it absolutely necessary for game balance and therefore a fix, not broken. The situation without combining things like this is what's broken. Game balance, such as it is in 3.5, expects you to have a certain amount of EVERY standard numeric bonus from equipment all at once. Without combining items, this makes using most actual interesting magic items nearly impossible due to slot conflicts and, in some cases, even has slot conflicts between the items you're "supposed" to have. With MIC rules you can actually meet those expectations.

Take a look at a melee cleric, for example. You need Wis for spellcasting, and Con for not dying, but they both use the throat slot using only the base items. With MIC, this becomes more of what it's supposed to (although it's strong even without that, it's the principle that matters).

Have you pointed out to your DM that "One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso" is quite explicitly a separate and independent slot from "One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt)" according to the list of body slots (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody)?

Also in the MIC and Magic of Incarnum (and maybe somewhere else too?), both of which list body and torso as unquestionably distinct slots; although the latter uses "heart" and "soul," it still defines one as vest/vestment/shirt and the other as robe/armor.

Myrmex
2009-03-31, 01:43 AM
Take a look at a melee cleric, for example. You need Wis for spellcasting, and Con for not dying, but they both use the throat slot using only the base items. With MIC, this becomes more of what it's supposed to (although it's strong even without that, it's the principle that matters).

I thought a cleric used its full casting, d8 HD, and heavy armor prof for not dying.

monty
2009-03-31, 09:27 AM
I thought a cleric used its full casting, d8 HD, and heavy armor prof for not dying.

If you're going to be on the front line, you need Con. Casting won't save you in every situation and the things you really don't want to hit you are probably going to hit your AC anyway. And remember, the difference on average between a d4 and a d8 is 2 hp, so Con matters a lot there.

Os1ris09
2009-03-31, 04:16 PM
You can, but it would cost 1.5x, because save bonuses only have an affinity for the shoulder and torso slots.

It was meant as a joke. :smallbiggrin:

elonin
2009-03-31, 04:24 PM
In the MIC there are rules that allow common typical effects (robe of resistance) to be added to some other quality without the 1.5 multiple magic penalty. Does periapt of persuasion stack with the cloak of charisma?

Waspinator
2009-03-31, 05:08 PM
Honestly, I'm fine with making it easier to combine items since it means that people might actually use some of the quirkier stuff out there and not be sub-optimal because they're missing out on some +Strength.

Rhiannon87
2009-03-31, 05:43 PM
I'll talk to my DM... I might be able to sell him on the idea of a headband of intellect +4 of persuasion, as my math tells me such an item would cost about 23,000 gp. And since the rules for it are in the DMG, rather than the MiC, it might be an easier pitch. Now I just have to wait for him to get online... and figure out how I'm going to scrape together the cash for this, if he approves.

EDIT: And if that fails, I'll have to go for the Vest of Resistance, as it costs the same amount and I should be able to wear one. Thanks to those who pointed out that armor and vests are clearly compatible. That would actually be much, much easier for me in the long run... and probably somewhat less expensive.

Myrmex
2009-03-31, 06:14 PM
If you're going to be on the front line, you need Con. Casting won't save you in every situation and the things you really don't want to hit you are probably going to hit your AC anyway. And remember, the difference on average between a d4 and a d8 is 2 hp, so Con matters a lot there.

You're a cleric; having a competing item slot for constitution and wisdom isn't an issue. At least any sort of balance issue that makes a cleric less playable.

I guess what I'm saying is, I find your argument "the rules should have been like this in the first place, since the new rules makes the cleric more powerful," less than convincing.