PDA

View Full Version : Europa Universalis : Rome

SolkaTruesilver
2009-03-31, 12:27 AM
Hello Everybody!

After having much fun conquering heathen territory in my current game of EU3 : Complete under the nose of the other colonial powers, I got a little interested in the most recent EU game: Rome. Did somebody here played it? What could you say about it?

BlueWizard
2009-03-31, 07:18 AM
I heard some good things about this game, and would like to know more as well.

Waiting eagerly with Solka.

Atelm
2009-03-31, 07:51 AM
Played it, but wasn't as interesting or fun as Crusader Kings or the other Europa Universalis games.

It just doesn't feel right, for me, to play as an already well established kingdom (Rome, Cathage, Macedon, etc.). But unlike in previous EU games, playing with a small few province state feels nigh impossible, as the barbarians roaming the map always concentrate their efforts on the player and if you are anywhere near an AI Rome you are almost certainly doomed.

Om
2009-03-31, 08:49 AM
I have to second Atelm here. I have the vanilla game but haven't played it in months. For me the big problem was the timeframe - if you play as Rome you'll find it already a superpower and thus no challenge; play as a minor nation and its only a matter of time before the Romans come calling. Other than that I found the game lacked depth, certainly when compared to the RPG elements of CK. I've heard good things about the expansion, Vae Victis, but the common reaction seems to be that it will still need another expansion to fulfil the potential present

That said, its not a bad game. Just not as good as it could be. If you enjoyed EUIII and have an interest in the period then you'll probably like Rome

BlueWizard
2009-04-04, 06:10 PM
That's too bad. :smallfrown: