PDA

View Full Version : [3.5-d20]Retooling the races. P.E.A.C.H.

Mesinock
2009-03-31, 02:03 AM
I'm tinkering with adjusting the races in my game. This involves racial hit die and essentially racial paragon abilities. (ie. non-adventuring characters gain racial hit die on each NPC class level. Adventuring class characters gain racial hit die as a "bonus hit die" at specified intervals through their careers).
All classed characters gain a racial hit die at character creation, and one racial hit die at 5th level and every 5 levels there after.
Human
Racial Vitality Die: d6; all adult, unclassed humans have at least one full hit die (plus their constitution modifier) of hit points.
Medium: As medium size creature, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Human land base speed is 30ft.
Versatile: Humans gain a bonus feat at 0 level and at their first class level and every 4 class levels there after. Humans gain 4 extra skill points at character creation and 1 additional skill point per level, in addition they may chose 3 cross class skills they are no longer cross class.
Strong willed: +1 to Will saves at 0 level and upon attaining a class level and at every 4th level there after (max +5).
The Will to Do: Humans have a strong will to survive and succeed at things they do. When rolling a fortitude or reflex saving throw, humans have a 10% chance of adding a 1d4 die roll to their check or a 5% chance to reroll a failed save, one or the other must be declared before the roll is made. When rolling a Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Profession or Spellcraft (caster classes only) checks; humans have a 10% chance of a 1d4 die roll to their check.
Adaptive: No penalties for using improvised weapons, using improvised tools has ½ the listed penalty, may wear leather armor with only a 5% spell failure.
Favored class; a humans first class is considered its favored class.
Elf
Racial Vitality Die: d6; all adult, unclassed, elves have at least one full hit die (plus their constitution modifier) of hit points.
Low Light Vision:
Heightened Senses: Elves have a +2 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks.
Pursuant Focus: Elves have a +2 racial bonus to concentration checks.
Grounded Mind: Elves have a natural resistance to mind effecting affects, gaining a +2 to saving throws against enchantment spells and effect at 0 level. Upon attaining a class level this bonus increases by +1 and by +1 at every 4 class levels there after.
Racial ability modifiers: Elves have the following modifiers applied to their ability scores; +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence,
-2 Constitution, -2 Strength.
Arcane Attunement: All elves have an affinity for the mystical, as such even unclassed elves gain a number of cantrips equal to (1 + Intelligence Modifier), which they can cast as spell-like abilities once per day; caster level equal to hit die/ level.
Bowman Ship: Every elf is taught at a young age to use a bow, as a result of these lessons even unclassed elves gain a +1 to their attack roll when firing a bow.
Arcane Mastery and Bow Mastery: Due to their natural affinity for mysticism and their long lessons with the bow, an elf gains special bonuses related to these facts when they choose a class. Arcane Mastery: An elf who focuses on arcane mysticism casts spells as if one level higher, at level 10 cast spells as if 2 levels higher. Bow mastery: An elf who focuses on the martial skills gains a +1 to attack rolls on ranged attacks made with a bow, at 5th level re-roll misses made on attack rolls of ranged attacks made with a bow, at level 10 gain additional +1 to attack roll on ranged attacks made with a bow.
Dwarf
Racial Vitality Die: d8; all adult, unclassed, dwarves have at least one full hit die (plus their Constitution Modifier) of hit points.
Racial Ability Modifiers: +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
Medium: Base land speed 20ft.
Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the complete absence of light up to 60 ft.
Stability: Dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feat, +2 bonus on ability checks to resist bull rush and trip when standing on the ground, at 3rd level +3, at 5th level +4, at 10th level +5.
Weapon Familiarity: treat dwarven waraxe and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic.
Axe and Hammer mastery: gain +1 to hit with Axes and Hammers at 1st, 5th and 10th levels.
Stonecunning: +2 racial bonus to search checks to notice unusual stone work.
Hearty: 0 level; +2 racial bonus to fortitude saves. This bonus increases to +3 at 3rd class level and +4 at 11th class level.
Resilience: 0 level; +2 racial bonus to saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities. This bonus increases to +3 at 3rd class level and +4 at 11th class level.
Familiar Enemy: Dwarves have a list of life long enemies who they have been battling for as long as their history. All dwarves receive a +1 bonus on attacks and a +2 bonus on defense against these enemies. Upon attaining a class level these abilities increase by +1 each and +1 at every 4 class levels. These enemies are Orcs, goblinoids, trolls, ogres, and giants.
Halfling
Racial Vitality Die: d4; all adult, unclassed, halflings have at least one full hit die (plus their Constitution Modifier) of hit points.
Racial Ability Modifiers: 0 level Halflings have a racial bonus +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma and -2 Strength. Halflings with class levels gain +1 to their Dexterity at 1st level and at 5th and 10th levels.
Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks. Halflings use smaller weapons than Medium sized creatures, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarter of those of a Medium character.
On Target: 0 level Halflings have a +1 racial bonus on thrown weapon and slings. Upon attaining a class level a halfling’s On Target bonus increases by +1 and by +1 for every 4 class levels.
Racial Skill Modifiers: 0 level Halflings have a +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Swim, Move Silently, Balance and Tumble checks and a +1 racial bonus on Listen checks. Upon attaining a class level these bonuses increase by +1 and by +1 for every 4 class levels.
Gnome
Racial Vitality Die: d4; all adult, unclassed, gnomes have at least on full hit die (plus their Constitution Modifier) of hit points.
Ability Modifiers: +2 Constitution, -2 Strength.
Small: As a Small creature, a gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks. Gnomes use smaller weapons than Medium sized creatures, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarter of those of a Medium character.
Land base speed: 20 feet.
Low Light Vision:
Illusion Mastery: Gnomes are innately familiar with Illusions and adept at creating them. All 0 level gnomes gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions and a +1 racial bonus to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusions cast by them. Upon gaining a class level these bonus increases by +1 and by +1 for every 4 class levels.
Familiar Enemy: Gnomes have a list of life long enemies who they have been battling for as long as their history. All gnomes receive a +1 bonus on attacks and a +2 bonus on defense against these enemies. Upon attaining a class level these abilities increase by +1 each and +1 at every 4 class levels. These enemies are Kobolds, goblinoids, trolls, ogres, and hill giants.
Skill Modifiers: Gnomes gain a racial skill bonus of +2 to Listen and Craft (alchemy) checks.
Spell-like abilities: 1/day – speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities; 1/day – dancing lights, ghost sound, and prestidigitation. Caster level is equal to hit die/ class level. Upon attaining a class level, the per day use of a gnome’s spell-like abilities, increase by 1/day for every 4 class levels.
Half Orc
Racial Vitality Die: d8
Ability Modifiers: +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.
Darkvision: Up to 60 ft.
Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered an orc.
Skill Modifiers: Gain +1 to intimidate checks.
Heavy blades mastery: (if raised in Orc lands) +1 to hit when wielding a heavy sword or heavy axe. Upon attaining a class level this bonus increases by +1 and by +1 for every 4 class levels.
Adaptive Weapons: (if raised in Human lands) a half orc does not take the normal penalties for using improvised weapons.
Favored class: (raised orc) Berserker or Shaman, (raised human) Fighter or Druid/ Shaman. If raised in a human barbarian tribe may use the (raised orc) favored classes.
Half Elf
Racial Vitality Die: d6; all adult, unclassed, half elves have at least one full hit die (plus Constitution Modifier) of hit points.
Ability Modifiers: +2 Charisma; Half Elves are talkative and friendly, generally they are very capable in social situations.
Low Light Vision:
Heightened Senses: Elves have a +1 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks.
Grounded Mind: Half Elves have a natural resistance to mind effecting affects, gaining a +1 to saving throws against enchantment spells and effect at 0 level. Upon attaining a class level this bonus increases by +1 and by +1 at every 4 class levels there after.
Mystic attunement: Due to their elven heritage half elves gain +5 mystic points at adult hood. Upon attaining a class level this bonus increases by +5 and by +5 at every 4 class levels there after.
Versatile: Due to their human heritage, half elves gain a bonus feat at 0 level and at their first class level and every 6 class levels there after. Half elves gain 4 extra skill points at character creation and 1 additional skill point per level, in addition they may chose 3 cross class skills they are no longer cross class.
If a Half Elf was raised in Elven lands they gain;
Bowman Ship: Every elf is taught at a young age to use a bow, as a result of these lessons even unclassed elves gain a +1 to their attack roll when firing a bow.
If a Half Elf was raised in Human lands they gain;
Adaptive: No penalties for using improvised weapons, using improvised tools has ½ the listed penalty, may wear leather armor with only a 5% spell failure.
Favored class; Sorcerer or Bard.
Bovian
Distant cousins of the Minotaur, Bovians are large powerful creatures. Considerably stronger than other races, but much more intelligent than their minotaur relatives, Bovians seek to cut a place for themselves in the world. Bovines are strong, cunning and intelligent, they have a natural connection with the world around them and many are druids or rangers. They have strong sense of family and tribal connections and live out most of their life peacefully. Bovines stand between 6 and 8 feet tall and weigh from 200 to 350 pounds. Bovines have the following racial traits:
Racial Traits:
Racial Vitality Die: d8; all adult, unclassed, Bovians have at least one full hit die (plus their Constitution Modifier) of hit points.
Ability Modifiers: +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity.
Medium: As medium size creatures, Bovians have no bonus or penalty due to size.
Land base speed: 30 ft.
Low light vision: A Bovine can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moon light, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Gem cunning: Bovines treasure precious stones and gain a +2 bonus when appraising the value of a gem.
Natural cunning: Like their cousins, Bovians can not become lost, be affected by maze spells or be caught flat-footed; they also gain the track ability. +2 racial bonus on spot, search and listen checks.
Bullish Behavior: Bovians of 0 level Gain +1 to bull rush charge attempts and intimidate checks. Upon attaining a class level these bonuses increase by +1 and by +1 for every 4 class levels thereafter.
Thunderous Stomp: Daze enemies with in 10 feet of you for 1 round. Upon attaining a class level the duration of the Thunderous Stomp daze effect increase to 1 round plus an additional number of rounds equal to the Bovian’s Strength Modifier.
Thick hide: +2 natural armor bonus.
Automatic Languages: Common, Bovian.
Bonus Languages: Giant, Terran, Orc.
Favored Classes: Druid or Ranger (Replace Druid with Shaman if using the shaman class in your campaign); A multiclass Bovine’s druid or ranger class does not count when determining whether they take any experience point penalty (see XP for Multiclas Characters, page 60 ph). Only one of the class’s works for the favored class, the Bovine must choose which to take at the beginning of play.

RandomFellow
2009-03-31, 04:14 AM
I'm assuming the goal is to balance them against themselves and figure out the relative 'power boost' later? These races are all at least LA +1 compared to normal races.

Humans

The Will to Do: Humans have a strong will to survive and succeed at things they do. When rolling a fortitude or reflex saving throw, humans have a 10% chance of adding a 1d4 die roll to their check or a 5% chance to reroll a failed save, one or the other must be declared before the roll is made. When rolling a Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Profession or Spellcraft (caster classes only) checks; humans have a 10% chance of a 1d4 die roll to their check.

Adding two extra rolls to a bunch of routine things is not a good idea, in general. It is one thing to take a particular system, say spellcasting, and add some complexity. It is quite another to simply add rolls to a bunch of things.

I'd suggest a per-day ability along the lines of:

Humans have a will pool, which refreshes daily, containing 5 charges. Humans may spend 1 charge from this pool as an immediate action to gain one of the following effects:
Add a +2 racial modifier to any saving throw,
Add a +2 racial modifier to a Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Profession or Spellcraft (caster classes only) check.

Humans may spend all their charges from this pool to re-roll a failed saving throw.

Otherwise Humans look fine to me, as per my starting assumption.

Elves
I'd change Bowman Ship to Elvish Archery.

Dwarves
Dwarves seem a bit weaker than their counterparts. I'd give them back their normal d20 carrying ability plus add a couple more to their 'racial enemies' or some other small bonus.

Halflings
Halflings feel like Dwarves to me. I'd give them either a d6 HP racial dice or some other small bonus (e.g. raising their Listen +1 to Listen +2).

Gnomes
Gnome's Illusion Mastery ability is way to powerful when combined with a competent illusionist with a decent book selection. Even core-only, it is too strong. I'd reduce it to +1 every 10 levels for a total of +3, ever.

Even then, I'd seriously considering reducing it to a flat +2 or a +1 at 10th level only.

Half-Orcs
Too weak again. I'd suggest giving them a +2 to Constitution and some other ability of moderate power. Probably the only one that is not definitely an LA +1 race atm.

Half-Elves
What is 'mystic points'?

Mystic attunement: Due to their elven heritage half elves gain +5 mystic points at adult hood. Upon attaining a class level this bonus increases by +5 and by +5 at every 4 class levels there after.

Bovine
Way toooo powerful with this ability as written. Give it a saving throw like 12 + Strength Modifier.

Thunderous Stomp: Daze enemies with in 10 feet of you for 1 round. Upon attaining a class level the duration of the Thunderous Stomp daze effect increase to 1 round plus an additional number of rounds equal to the Bovian’s Strength Modifier.

Mesinock
2009-03-31, 10:39 AM
Thanks for your input. Yes they all are effectively +1 LA, several other ingame changes will negate that, so for the purposes of my tabel they are still +0.
Thundours stomp is supposed to have fort save with it, I guess I just didn't get it in the post.
I'm very impressed with your suggestion on humans, I think I will use that.
Thanks.

RandomFellow
2009-03-31, 11:59 AM
I'm glad I could help.

VelvetThunder
2009-04-01, 06:38 AM
This isn't much help, But I like the idea of Throwing a Bovine Race into the mix. If you get a less powerful version up, I'd love to see it.