PDA

View Full Version : What's In The Box?

Mc. Lovin'
2009-03-31, 03:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU_reTt7Hj4

Sort of mystery film going round the internet thought I might share with you lot :smallsmile:

And here's a collection of a good lot of info on the solving the mystery, if you're into that (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9434342&postcount=5)

kamikasei
2009-03-31, 03:39 PM
Pain.
have not actually watched the video... just wondering who'll get this.

Graymayre
2009-03-31, 07:38 PM
Wow, that video is a piece of work. From what I can see, it takes place a few minutes before the collapse of the Citadel's singularity at the end of Half-life 2: episode 1. (not sure if that would be clear with everyone or if other believe it is something else).

Now what is in the box... From the look of the technology being used, there have been nanotechnological advances. This could mean that the there isn't anything actually in the box but a massive computer, yet that hypothesis seems too benign to me. Especially when coupled with the box's interaction with the singularity. Maybe it has the code to the combine overworld? (much like Alyx and Gordon managed to escape with).

the only clue that I haven't seen anyone mention is that the video description on Youtube shows an ASCII sideways symbol. It appears to be an M (which may be short for Mesa).

@Kamikasei: It sounds painfully familiar, but for the life of me, I don't remember what that is from.

chiasaur11
2009-03-31, 07:59 PM
Reminds me a tad of Escape from City 17. Subject matter only but...

So, yeah. Also, I'm guessing the Box contains a Rickroll.

ZeroNumerous
2009-03-31, 09:09 PM
The real question isn't "what's in the box" so much as "why is he running from Civil Protection?" Citizens were not allowed to work as scientists (Dr. Kleiner's underground lab is proof of this) so our faceless protagonist can't possibly be holding something that is Combine-made unless it was stolen. Further, if it was stolen then it would obviously have been something important and thus would have been evacuated when the rest of the underground evacuated.

HeavySleeper
2009-03-31, 10:07 PM
Pain.

I believe it's a Dune reference. The box is used in the test given that also involves the gom jabbar.

kamikasei
2009-04-01, 02:43 AM
I believe it's a Dune reference. The box is used in the test given that also involves the gom jabbar.

Well done!

ghost_warlock
2009-04-01, 03:44 AM

Well done!

And here I was hoping it was a Hellraiser reference. Ah well.

thegurullamen
2009-04-01, 04:10 AM
Well done!

Son of a.... I just read that! That'll teach me not to think more often...