PDA

View Full Version : Thunderous Throw + Pushback = teleport?

Faleldir
2009-03-31, 05:15 PM
Pushback is often regarded as the poor man's Knockback, but I think I found an interesting use for it.

As a swift action, you can choose to treat your ranged attack rolls with thrown weapons as melee attacks for the rest of your turn. You use your melee attack bonus, including Strength bonus, feats, and so forth, to determine your attack bonus for each attack as normal, but you apply the standard modifiers for range penalties. Attacking into melee, through cover, and so forth incurs the standard penalties.
In addition, you can apply 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus to damage if you wield the thrown weapon with two hands, and you can use Power Attack with your thrown weapon attacks (adding two times the number subtracted from attack rolls as a bonus on damage rolls when throwing a two-handed weapon).

If you hit an opponent of up to your size with a melee attack, you may initiate a special Bull Rush against that opponent. If successful, you force your opponent back 5’ (straight or diagonally) and you move into the square he/she previously occupied. Neither movement generates Attacks of Opportunity. Usable once per round.

It's probably not RAW because Thunderous Throw is clear about what it applies to: numerical bonuses to your attack roll. If it were that simple, it wouldn't need to mention Power Attack as an addition. But since that would also make Shuriken Storm (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-792530) illegal, I am confident that I am wrong.

It looks like this. (http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Aether)

Ascension
2009-03-31, 05:54 PM
It seems plausible to me. And as someone who likes the fact that you can give ToB an animesque flavor (though, as always, I must point out that it is by no means mandatory) I think anything that enables instant transmission (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlashStep) should be encouraged.

MickJay
2009-03-31, 06:58 PM
Could work... though I can already see half a dozen ways in which it could be horribly abused :smallbiggrin:

Frosty
2009-03-31, 10:06 PM
Is Pushback a feat?

PinkysBrain
2009-03-31, 10:30 PM
I don't really have a problem with it, it's not especially OP and the PrC which grants Thunderous Throw is semi-magical ... stuff like lightning ricochet can't be really explained using normal physics either. I'd allow it.

Darth Stabber
2009-03-31, 11:13 PM
I just had a vision of Nightcrawler throwing a knife at someone, telporting up on them, and knife out.

Seffbasilisk
2009-04-01, 01:39 AM
I just had a vision of Nightcrawler throwing a knife at someone, telporting up on them, and knife out.

I may make a build that exploits this, just for that.

Person_Man
2009-04-01, 08:49 AM
Oh I would totally allow this. Rule of Cool trumps RAW.

Faleldir
2009-04-01, 02:06 PM
I came up with a build that uses this trick.

race: goliath with LA buyoff, from Rashemen
weapons: large heavy flail
flaw: shaky (power attack)
1 ftr 1 fighter feat: improved bull rush feat: knockback
2 ftr 2 dungeon crasher +2 +5 4d6
3 wbd 1 battle clarity (reflex saves), weapon aptitude feat: point blank shot
4 wbd 2 uncanny dodge
5 wbd 3 battle ardor (critical confirmation)
6 BSB 1 returning attacks, throw anythng, weapon aptitude feat: shock trooper
7 BSB 2 martial throw, thunderous throw
8 BSB 3 fighter feat: pushback
9 BSB 4 lighning ricochet feat: leap attack
10 bbn 1 pounce, whirling frenzy 1/day
11 ftr 3
12 ftr 4 fighter feat: wolf berserker feat: improved trip
13 wbd 4
14 wbd 5 warblade feat: run
15 ftr 5 feat: fleet of foot
16 ftr 6 dungeon crasher +4 +10 8d6
17 wbd 6 improved uncanny dodge
18 wbd 7 battle cunning (damage) feat: knock-down
19 ftr 7
20 ftr 8 fighter feat: far shot

I put Far shot at the end because it's not meant to be played as a ranged build. If an enemy gets knocked back far enough that range increments become an issue, just use Pushback and you're in melee again!

Darrin
2009-04-01, 02:37 PM
Hmm. Can we use that movement to trigger Skirmish damage? Would Skirmish kick in on the first attack, or only on subsequent attacks?

How about:

Scout 4/Warblade 1/BSB 4/Ranger 11