PDA

View Full Version : Critical triggering/improving feats (3.5)

Kyace
2009-03-31, 08:05 PM
I'm working on a Warblade/Swashbuckler, The Blood in the Water stance plus a keen rapier plus Battle Ardor (and Godly Int) means that nearly every round should result in at least one crit. Anyone recall any feats or spells where landing a critical grants you something, like a bonus to AC or such? I don't expect to find another Blood in the Water where the bonus continues to increase without limit, but anything will be considered. (He's gestalt with Wizard on the other side if that helps.)

Starbuck_II
2009-03-31, 08:24 PM
I'm working on a Warblade/Swashbuckler, The Blood in the Water stance plus a keen rapier plus Battle Ardor (and Godly Int) means that nearly every round should result in at least one crit. Anyone recall any feats or spells where landing a critical grants you something, like a bonus to AC or such? I don't expect to find another Blood in the Water where the bonus continues to increase without limit, but anything will be considered. (He's gestalt with Wizard on the other side if that helps.)

Lightning Maces gives extra attack for every Critical.
Giving your weapon Aptitude Weapon enhancement lets your rapier count as a mace for Lightning Maces.

Chronos
2009-03-31, 10:52 PM
The Telling Blow feat lets you trigger sneak attack/sudden strike/skirmish damage on a critical hit, if you have it.

There are also several weapon enhancements that inflict things like ability score damage or negative levels on a crit.

RTGoodman
2009-03-31, 10:55 PM
There are also several weapon enhancements that inflict things like ability score damage or negative levels on a crit.

Indeed. In fact, if you've got some feats to spare you might could even try some TWF with Tiger Claw stuff (Warblades get that, right?) and a couple of wounding/[energy] burst/whatever weapons.

streakster
2009-03-31, 11:05 PM
I enjoy prismatic burst weapons. Honestly, free prismatic spray on every critical? With a fixed cost? Yes please!

Chronos
2009-04-01, 12:31 AM
Enfeebling (+1 equivalent): 1d6+2 Str damage on crit
Forgetful (+1): Target loses all memory of past hour on crit
Nervewrack (+1): For 1d4 rounds, target takes -2 AC, attack, damage, reflex; half movement; concentration DC 15 to cast spells
Dementia (+2): Target is confused for 7 rounds on crit (will negates DC 16)
Stalactite (+3): Target petrified on a crit (fort neg DC 19)
Tentacle (+4): Pull out target's brain on a crit (fort neg DC 21)
Sword of Life-stealing (25715 GP): Target gains negative level on crit

Draz74
2009-04-01, 01:07 AM
Enfeebling (+1 equivalent): 1d6+2 Str damage on crit
Forgetful (+1): Target loses all memory of past hour on crit
Nervewrack (+1): For 1d4 rounds, target takes -2 AC, attack, damage, reflex; half movement; concentration DC 15 to cast spells
Dementia (+2): Target is confused for 7 rounds on crit (will negates DC 16)
Stalactite (+3): Target petrified on a crit (fort neg DC 19)
Tentacle (+4): Pull out target's brain on a crit (fort neg DC 21)
Sword of Life-stealing (25715 GP): Target gains negative level on crit

And from the MIC:

Acidic Burst (+2): Does acid damage, extra on a crit
Bodyfeeder (+3): gain temporary HP when you crit
Cursespewing (+3): impose -4 on attack rolls, saves, skill & ability checks on a crit
Doom Burst (+2): target shaken on crit
*Enervating (+2): impose a negative level on a crit
Fiercebane (+2): Like Bane, but extra damage on a crit
Heavenly Burst (+1): evil target takes extra damage and blindness (Fort neg.) on a crit
Mindfeeder (+1): Gain temporary Power Points on a crit
Paralytic Burst (+2): paralyze target on a crit (Will neg.)
Prismatic Burst (+30k gp): prismatic spray effect added to crits
Profane/Sacred Burst (+2): extra damage on crit, especially vs. outsiders of the appropriate alignment
Psychokinetic Burst (+2): does force damage, extra on a crit
*Slow Burst (+5k gp): slow effect added to crits (Will neg.)
Souldrinking (+2): like Enervating, but gives you temporary HP and damage bonus after a crit too
*Stunning (+2): does sonic damage, stuns target on a crit for 1 round (Fort neg.)
Weakening (+1): imposes -4 Strength on a crit (doesn't stack)

Also worth considering is:

*Bloodfeeding (+1): stores up damage each hit to be released on a later attack (hint: release all your "blood points" when you get a crit, so you double their effect!)

I put stars by the options that seem most worthwhile to me.

Kaiyanwang
2009-04-01, 01:29 AM
About Feats:

Staggering Critical from Drow of the Underdark makes enemy Slowed, no save, on a crit.

If you go bludgeoning weapons, Staggering Blow from Dungeon Magazine Compendium make your crits with bludgeoning weapons able to stun the enemy (Frot Save 10 + 1/2 your level + str mod negates).

Ganurath
2009-04-01, 01:33 AM
From EPH, the coup de grace enchantment holds on crits, DC 23 to save.