PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Anyway for a cleric to memorize more of one domain spell?

...Despicable..
2009-04-01, 12:10 AM
I am making a character which I based largely on it's use of a certain domain spell (Invisibility), because it deals with a cleric/rogue multiclass. Think on the line of the "heroic coward" fluff from the old 1st edition kobold hero deities.

The problem is that I just reread the cleric entry in my PHB, and it seems I can only memorize it only once a day. So after working two day on the character's fluff I now realized I made a big mistake.

Is there a feat or item out there which would allow a cleric to treat a domain spell as a cleric list spell, or which would achieve a similar effect?

quick_comment
2009-04-01, 12:17 AM
Be a domain wizard.

RandomFellow
2009-04-01, 12:37 AM
I'm pretty sure Spontaneous Domain Casting (PHB2 Cleric Variant) solves your problem.

Keld Denar
2009-04-01, 01:02 AM
Yea, the Spontaneous Domain ACF from PHBII would allow you to lose prepared spells to cast that domain spontaneously. There is also the feat in Complete Divine that costs you 1 TU attempt every time you do it. The advantage of the feat is that you can still spontanously cast cure spells, if that is desired by you. Otherwise the ACF is better.

...Despicable..
2009-04-01, 01:10 AM
Yea, the Spontaneous Domain ACF from PHBII would allow you to lose prepared spells to cast that domain spontaneously. There is also the feat in Complete Divine that costs you 1 TU attempt every time you do it. The advantage of the feat is that you can still spontanously cast cure spells, if that is desired by you. Otherwise the ACF is better.

Thank you so much!

This is just what I needed. I rather not try to get a variant class by a DM, so this is much better and universal.

He will be rebuking, hence not able to spontaneously cast cure spells, but it's not a huge loss I guess.

Theodoriph
2009-04-01, 01:14 AM
Why not just buy rings of invisibility? Or would that not fit the fluff.

Frosty
2009-04-01, 01:19 AM
I like the Spontaneous Domain ACF from PHBII in conjunction with the Healing domain. No you can spontaneously cast HEAL and MASS HEAL instead of the crap that is Mass Cure Serious for example.

Curmudgeon
2009-04-01, 02:21 AM
You can get around the limitation by having Pearls of Power at level 2. You'll cast the spell, then use a Pearl to reload it back into the domain slot. Or you could just get a wand of Invisibility, since having it on your domain spell list lets you use that wand.

Thurbane
2009-04-01, 03:18 AM
You can also fill higher domain slots with lower level domain spells, including metamagicked versions... (i.e. you could fill your 3rd level domain slot with Extended Invisibility).

Darrin
2009-04-01, 08:54 AM
You can get around the limitation by having Pearls of Power at level 2. You'll cast the spell, then use a Pearl to reload it back into the domain slot. Or you could just get a wand of Invisibility, since having it on your domain spell list lets you use that wand.

Scribe Scroll would also work. If you're worried about dinging up your XP, just buy some scrolls/potions.

You can also use your Summon Monster spells and Lesser Planer Ally to summon creatures with spell-like abilities or spellcasting. For example, you can use Summon Monster III to call a Musteval Guardinal (BoED, stats on p. 174, expanded summoning on p. 190), which can cast invisibility 1/day. It can also cast magic missile at will.

Lesser Planar Ally gets even better... yes, you have to make a deal for payment, but casting a 2nd level spell shouldn't cost too much. Some demons/devils that have invisibility as a SLA:

Durzagon (MM2)
Maurezhi (Fiend Folio)
Cambion Demon (Exp. Demonweb Pits)
Bar-Lgura (Fiendish Codex I)

The Sylph is also available via Lesser Planar Ally, and has spellcasting abilities as a 7th level sorcerer. You can ask your deity to send you one that knows invisibility.

And then there's the Hollyphant... 6HD outsider. Psionic invisibility at will. Give *everybody* invisibility. Also 1/day SLAs: banishment, flame strike, heal, and raise dead.

Seffbasilisk
2009-04-01, 01:17 PM
Or then there's the simple, prepare your domain spell in more than just the required slot.

ericgrau
2009-04-01, 01:36 PM

You could also be a magic domain cleric and use both wands of invisibility and arcane scrolls of invisibility. Divine scrolls of invisibility are probably rare and require finding a cleric with the same domain and scribe scroll feat to craft or getting the feat and making them yourself.

Or then there's the simple, prepare your domain spell in more than just the required slot.

If your domain spell isn't on the general cleric list, you can only prepare it in the domain slot.

RTGoodman
2009-04-01, 04:49 PM
If your domain spell isn't on the general cleric list, you can only prepare it in the domain slot.

But you can prepare lower-level spells in higher level spots, right? So just prepare invisibility as your domain spell for each level slot above the one required.

Or, and this is what I'd do, get a wand of invisibility. If you're using it that much, it's probably worth it.

Chronos
2009-04-01, 07:32 PM
Or, and this is what I'd do, get a wand of invisibility. If you're using it that much, it's probably worth it.If you're using it that much, then it's probably not worth it. Wands are great for things that you don't cast enough to bother preparing, but at two or more uses per day, those costs would add up.

lsfreak
2009-04-01, 07:38 PM
Though, if you're using it that often, getting an eternal wand of invisibility (MIC, 2/day) might be worth it. A normal wand probably not.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-04-01, 07:52 PM
If you're using it that much, then it's probably not worth it. Wands are great for things that you don't cast enough to bother preparing, but at two or more uses per day, those costs would add up.

unless you got an Eternal Wand from MIC. Unfortunately, they are more expensive than normal wands. They do last forever, though I can't remember how many castings per day you get, so it might not be enough for your purposes.

edit: aaaand ninja'd.

-JM

JaxGaret
2009-04-01, 08:00 PM
unless you got an Eternal Wand from MIC. Unfortunately, they are more expensive than normal wands. They do last forever, though I can't remember how many castings per day you get, so it might not be enough for your purposes.

-JM

Eternal Wands cost the same as normal Wands, except that they're 2/day instead of 50 charges usable whenever you want.

monty
2009-04-01, 08:02 PM

-JM

2nd level wand: 4500. 2nd level eternal wand: 4420. More expensive?

Eternal Wands cost the same as normal Wands, except that they're 2/day instead of 50 charges usable whenever you want.

Not true. Eternal wands cost spell level x caster level x 720 + 100.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-04-01, 08:41 PM
2nd level wand: 4500. 2nd level eternal wand: 4420. More expensive?

Not true. Eternal wands cost spell level x caster level x 720 + 100.

Hmm, I must have remembered it wrong. I thought Eternal Wands were more expensive. Maybe I was thinking of higher level ones.

-JM

lsfreak
2009-04-01, 08:46 PM
Actually it's the lower levels that are more expensive. The "+100" tacked onto the price makes them cost more for 0th and 1st level spells.
Though reading the description, apparently you can only use eternal wands if you can arcane spells... :smallconfused:

monty
2009-04-01, 08:48 PM
Though reading the description, apparently you can only use eternal wands if you can arcane spells... :smallconfused:

Yes, but you can use any eternal wand if you can cast arcane spells. For example, if a bard made a wand of CLW, a wizard could use it. And since artificers and warlocks can put any spell in a wand...:smallamused:

Chronos
2009-04-02, 10:49 PM
But a cleric still can't use an eternal wand, no matter who made it. Unless, presumably, the cleric has the Magic domain.

lsfreak
2009-04-02, 10:51 PM
You have to a) cast arcane magic and b) have the spell somewhere on your spell list, even if you can't cast it yet. No wizards with CLW.

monty
2009-04-02, 11:04 PM
You have to a) cast arcane magic and b) have the spell somewhere on your spell list, even if you can't cast it yet. No wizards with CLW.

Not true for eternal wands. Any arcane caster can use any eternal wand, regardless if the spell is on their list.

Draz74
2009-04-02, 11:11 PM
Yes, but you can use any eternal wand if you can cast arcane spells. For example, if a bard made a wand of CLW, a wizard could use it. And since artificers and warlocks can put any spell in a wand...:smallamused:

An Artificer can put any spell (L4 or lower) in a wand, but an Artificer cannot make an Eternal Wand at all, since the spells an Artificer puts into an item are neither arcane nor divine. (As per the ruling about the Artificer/Archivist combo.)

That's RAW, I think. Though the "lore" section of the Eternal Wand implies that it disagrees.

Warlock would work, though, AFAIK.