PDA

View Full Version : Would this make a plausible game

Dixieboy
2009-04-01, 01:54 PM
See i want to mix Medieval with Sci-fi in my own little special way.

Imagine a standard fantasy setting, starting as peasants.

One of the main focuses will be religion, focused around "Men from the sky"
Basically their lord Tax them his subjects to the brink of starvation to pay these Men from the sky, who wants their resources for unknown purposes.
some of the time will be spend running around shooting people with crossbows and hitting them with swords (Because their technology conveniently developed like our own :smallbiggrin:)
Until they at one point find out that these "Men" are just like themselves, (Despite being from a far away planet they are curiously enough humans)
Their decisions will most likely lead them to get hold of a spaceship and probably some guns.

Off to do whatever the hell they want in the galaxy (Plot hooks will be made but i haven't thought this far yet)

I am imagining using the Starwars d20 ruleset. (Disallowing jedis and changing proficiencies for everyone to (Simple weapons), probably will have to give them Proficiencies for more "Modern" weapons for free later, but it hardly makes a difference)
Now i will off course allow the force adept, sort of hoping for one actually, will allow him to turn his Force adept levels into Jedi levels later if he wants :smalltongue: (Might force the player to get "Spellcaster", (For free, the feat royally sucks) seems reasonable enough and also provides some much needed balance)
And then i can make the "Men from the sky" siths, who also kidnap force adepts and/or draft civilians into their service, off course done in a way so they are still considered Divine.
Else it'll probably be the Empire.

Or i could make it a W40k Campaign, using the Imperium of man, allowing psykers, though the only w40k rules i know are Dark Heresy, and they are unsuited for this.

So far it is in a very early thinking phase, and will serve as a secondary campaign... but still, waddaya think?

Myou
2009-04-01, 03:02 PM
That sounds like a really fun concept! ^^

Just be careful to make sure that your players actually want to play star wars, otherwise things may peter out after the big revelation.

Oslecamo
2009-04-01, 03:09 PM
Or i could make it a W40k Campaign, using the Imperium of man, allowing psykers, though the only w40k rules i know are Dark Heresy, and they are unsuited for this.

With a little(lots) of refluffing, D&D 3e or 4e should make the cut.

The big trick is to reflavor certain spells and weapons as guns.

So for example the 4e cleric becomes a space marine with a bolter as implement wich he can fire upon his enemies to either rise his allies moral or make the enemy an easier target, and then close in and bash them with his bastard chainsword.

In 3.X bolters would be wands or repeating crossbows.

Fullplate becomes power armor, breastplate becomes carapace armor, and so on. The druid becomes a chaos worshiper who gets to change into several demon forms.

Psykers are of course casters reflavored.

Reflavor the monsters as needed. There you have.

Satyr
2009-04-01, 05:45 PM
I think the idea for the campaign can be quite fun. It sounds a bit like the - very recommendable - Russian Science Fiction story "It's hard to be a god" (There is a movie. It's quite good).

Though I would not use a bigger, superordained setting for it. Your premise is quite strong, so you don't need the whole fluff of Star Wars / Warhammer 40,000 / anything else to effectively overshadow your own ideas through the sheer quantity of published material. If you emphasize the core story, you probably don't need any of that to create a great epic, and through a more or less completely worked out universe beyond your home planet's orbit, the angle will probably shift to the greater metaplot.

In the case of a system, I don't know what you're looking for. Do you want it to be more like a planetary romance / space opera or would you prefer a stronger focus on "real science" fiction?