PDA

View Full Version : Aranea, Bornura, Soulstitched, and Troglodytes! Please Critique! [3.5/d20r]

Lappy9000
2009-04-01, 02:49 PM
Well, I'm re-vamping several races for my campaign setting, and with any revamp, that means that I'm concerned on balance. Speaking of which, said races are meant to balance with d20r (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98722), which bumps up the power level a gage or two. Are they fairly balanced? Are they interesting?

Aranea Racial Traits
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/lego12340/1Aranea.jpg
-2 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
Medium: Aranea, being Medium, receive no adjustments based on size
Monstrous Humanoid: As monstrous humanoids with the shapechanger subtype, aranea are immune to spells and effects that specifically target humanoids.
Speed: Aranea base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60’
Focused: Aranea receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against Enchantment spells and effects.
Grave Resolve: Aranea subconsciously bend the spirits of the deceased to their bidding. Whenever a creature dies within 10’ of an aranea, they gains 5 temporary hit points and gain a bonus to Will saves equal to their Charisma modifier. Both effects last until the end of their next turn. Additionally, the temporary hit points gained stack with the Medium’s Clutch of the Grave class feature.
Natural Agility: Aranea, being naturally nimble, receive a +2 racial bonus on Athletics and Acrobatics checks and can use their Strength or Dexterity modifier for either skill, whichever they prefer.
Natural Weapons: Aranea possess terrible claws. They have two claw attacks that each deal 1d4 damage. When attacking with natural attacks, an aranea uses their claws as their primary natural attack.
Inborn Psionics: An aranea has a small pool of psionic charges they may tap into daily. An aranea has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following psi-like abilities or to power a feat with the [Aranea] descriptor: entangling ectoplasm, prevenom. The manifester level is equal to the aranea's class level. Aranea are adept at weaving both webs and lies, and a hint of venom makes their attacks that much more potent.
Change Shape: Aranea live multiple lives, as their natural form exists wholly within three unique forms. In addition to their natural form, an aranea can morph into a form resembling a medium monstrous spider. The second form is that of a Small or Medium humanoid; an aranea in its humanoid form always assumes the same appearance and traits.

An aranea can alter their form a number of times per day equal to their Charisma modifier and can remain in each form indefinitely. This change in form is a full-round action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity and cannot be dispelled, nor does an aranea revert to their natural form when killed. A true seeing spell, however, reveals their natural form if they are in humanoid or spider form.

Automatic languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic)
Favored Class: Medium.

Bornura Racial Traits
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/lego12340/1Bornura.jpg +2 Wisdom.
Medium size: Bornura, being medium, receive no adjustments based on size.
Earth Scion: Bornura are humanoids with the (Earth) subtype.
Speed: A bornura's base land speed is 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision.
Almost Human: Bornura receive a +6 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate a human when not using crystal forming.
Empathetic Charm: Once per day per Wisdom modifier, a bornura can detect the surface emotions of any creature within a 30' radius. This ability gives the bornura an insight bonus equal to their Wisdom modifier on their next Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Sense Motive check to one of the creatures within the radius.
Focused: Bornura receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against Enchantment spells and effects.
Crystal Forming: A bornura has the supernatural ability to alter the nuralithis in their bloodstream into various forms. One form must be chosen at first level, and progresses naturally as the bornura gains class levels. Utilizing a Crystal Form is a swift action and lasts until the bornura is killed, knocked unconscious, or “turns off” the effect. The effects of a shatter spell or similar effect can cancel out the bornura's crystal forming for a number of rounds equal to the attacker's HD should the bornura fail their fortitude save (treat the bornura as a crystalline creature).

Aqua Aura: Nuralithis evaporates to form a bluish aura around the bornura giving them and their allies within a 10' radius a +1 bonus on saving throws. Every four character levels, the aura grants an additional +1 bonus on saving throws.
Clear Immersion: Nuralithis accumulates into small clumps throughout the bornura's body giving them Spell Resistance 10. Every four character levels, the Spell Resistance increases by 5.
Crystal Edge: Nuralithis hardens around the bornura's dominant arm, forming a deadly natural blade that deals 1d8+1 points of bludgeoning and piercing damage. Every four character levels, this bonus increases by 1. When attacking with natural attacks, a bornura uses their crystal edge as their primary natural attack. At level 10, a bornura gains a second crystal edge.
Dazzling Jewel: Nuralithis forms into sharp irregular crystals that distort light around the bornura's form, giving them a 10% miss chance. Every four character levels, the miss chance increases by 10%.
Gem Armor: Nuralithis condenses around the bornura's body, giving them a +1 natural armor bonus to AC. Every four character levels, this bonus to natural armor increases by +1.
Light Amplification: Nuralithis materializes into a natural lens on the bornura's arm that allows the bornura to unleash a ray of prismatic light as a standard action. The bornura can make a ranged touch attack that deals 1d6 points of damage against a single target within 30'. Every four character levels, the damage increases by 1d6.

Nuralithis Trance: Bornura cannot make charge attacks, take a -4 penalty to initiative, a -4 penalty to resist feints, and only gain half the benefit from spells or effects that rely on extreme emotion such as a barbarian's rage or a wilder's wild surge.
Automatic Languages: Common, Terran. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Gnoll, Halfling, Orc.
Favored Class: Monk.

Soulstitched Racial Traits
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/lego12340/1Soulstitched.jpg -2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
Medium size: Soulstitched, being medium, receive no adjustments based on size.
Construct: As constructs, soulstitched are immune to spells and effects that specifically target humanoids. Soulstitched do not eat, drink, sleep, or breathe, however, soulstitched can still gain the benefit of consumable potions, and a soulstiched must rest for 4 hours to provide the benefits of an 8 hour sleep. However, unlike most constructs, soulstitched are not immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities. Soulstitched have Constitution scores and gain hit points, armor and weapon proficiencies by class level.
Speed: A soulstitched’s base land speed is 20 feet.
Fractured Soul: Soulstitched possess souls and can be raised and resurrected. However, their being is split into four parts, and as such spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage provide only half their normal effect to a soulstitched. Additionally, soulstitched do not heal hit points naturally as living creatures do.
Heartless: Since a soulstitched possesses few organs within their torsos, a soulstitched may simply open up the stitching in their chest to place a single item weighing 5 pounds or less inside, which still adds to the total weight a soulstitched can carry. This space is approximately a 1 foot cube and can only hold an item that would be able to fit into such dimensions. Concealing an item within a soulstitched's chest is a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. A DC 25 Awareness check is required for someone else to find the hidden object.
Pain Split: As soulstitched take damage, their joints become looser and their stitches become undone, allowing for increased flexibility and more nimble movements. Once a soulstitched has lost half of their hit points from lethal damage (not including temporary hit points), they gain a +4 Circumstance bonus to Acrobatics checks. This bonus stacks with any other bonuses to the Acrobatics skill that a soulstitched may have. Soulstitched wearing medium or heavy armor cannot take advantage of this bonus.
Patch Up: Soulstitched are skilled at using needle and thread and are knowledgeable of anatomy, giving them a +4 racial bonus on Heal checks.
Unliving Resistance: Soulstitched are immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects, but do not gain any other immunities of the construct type.
Natural Magic: A soulstitched has a small pool of reserve energy that they may tap into daily. A soulstitched has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following abilities as an immediate action or to power a feat with the [Soulstitched] descriptor:
Innate Arcana: mage hand, mending, prestidigitation. Caster level equals the soulstitched's class levels.
Muscle Memory: A soulstitched can recall memories from a past life, gaining a +4 bonus to a single skill for a number of rounds equal to their Charisma modifier.
Detach Limb: A soulstitched may remove a limb from their body and have it animate under their control. Only limbs, such as arm, hand, foot, and leg can be removed. A soulstitched may have no more than two limbs detached at any time. When an appendage is removed, a soulstitched takes a -4 penalty to all Athletics, Acrobatics, Legerdemain, and Ride checks and moves at half their base speed. Reattaching a limb requires a full-round action and a DC 15 Heal check or a mending or revamp spell.

Any damage dealt to the detached limb does not reflect upon the soulstitched until the limb is reattached. A soulstitched can sense and control the limb anywhere within their range of influence (25 feet +5 feet/2 character levels) and if the connection is lost, the detached limb stops functioning. Should a detached limb become lost, it will require one hour after re-stitching the old limb or a new appendage for this ability to function again. In addition, a soulstitched’s Detach Limb ability works only when the soulstitched is in its natural form.

A soulstitched’s detached limb functions as an extension of the soulstitched’s body, not as a unique creature. A soulstitched’s limb has the following characteristics:Detached Limb
Diminutive Construct:
Hit Dice: 1 hp per soulstitched class level.
Initiative: +0
Speed: 1/4 of soulstitched's base speed.
Base Atk/Grp: +0/-12
AC: 14 (+4 size)
Attack: --
Full Attack: --
Space/Reach: 1 ft (1/25)
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis -, Cha –
Skills: Hide +12, Move Silently +8

Under ordinary circumstances, a soulstitched's detached limb cannot inflict any damage, flank, or even hit aware creatures. However, if the soulstitched can cast a touch spell, they can channel the touch spell through the detached limb to their opponent (or by using spells such as telekinesis or mage hand to deliver the body part).

A detached limb is under control of the soulstitched and may move up to Short range (25 feet +5 feet/2 character levels) from the soulstitched. A detached limb gains bonuses from any equipment it wears assuming said equipment is a full set. For example, a hand with a ring of protection +2 gains a +2 deflection bonus to it's AC, but a leg with only one Boot of Springing and Striding does not gain the effects of the boots.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: None.
Favored Class: Sorceror.

Troglodyte Racial Traits
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/lego12340/1Trog.jpg

+4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
Reptilian: Troglodytes are humanoids with the (Reptilian) subtype.
Speed: Troglodyte base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60’
Chameleon Skin: The skin of a troglodyte changes color somewhat, allowing it to blend in with its surroundings and providing a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks.
Child of Scorn: Troglodytes suffer no harm from being in a hot or cold environment. They can exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves). Their equipment it not affected.
Survivor: Troglodyte receive a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks.
Natural Weapons: Troglodytes possess powerful jaws. They have a bite attack that deals 1d6 damage. When attacking with natural attacks, a troglodyte uses their bite as their primary natural attack.
Natural Talent: A troglodyte has a small pool of reserve charges they may tap into daily. A troglodyte has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following abilities as an immediate action or to power a feat with the [Troglodyte] descriptor:

Boiling Blood: A troglodyte may activate this ability as an immediate action after being successfully struck by a melee nonreach weapon in combat. After being struck, the attacker takes damage equal to the troglodyte’s Constitution modifier +1. This bonus increases by 1 every four levels (to +2 at 4th, +3 at 8th, +4 at 12th, +5 at 16th, and +6 at 20th).
Frozen Soul: A troglodyte may activate this ability as a standard action. For a number of rounds equal to the troglodyte’s Constitution modifier, a troglodyte can add their Constitution modifier to Will saves.
Stench: A troglodyte may activate this ability as a standard action. All living creatures within a 30-foot radius must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the troglodyte's HD + the troglodyte's Con mod) or become sickened for 1d4 rounds. A creature that successfully saves against the stench cannot be affected by the same troglodyte’s stench for 24 hours.

Automatic languages: Draconic, Common Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Giant, Orc, Ingan.
Favored Class: Dreadnaught.

Lappy9000
2009-04-03, 11:35 AM
As it stands, bornura are the only race in d20r that lack a charge mechanic. I'm debating whether or not to give them this since their biggest abilities are permanent, not temporary effects.

However, if I did give them a charge mechanic, maybe something that increases the power of a crystal forming ability for a number of rounds equal to their Wisdom modifier? Something like this:

Natural Talent: A bornura has a small pool of reserve nuralithis energy that they may tap into daily. A bornura has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following abilities as an immediate action or to power a feat with the [Bornura] descriptor: Empathetic Charm: A bornura can activate this ability as a standard action to detect the surface emotions of any creature within a 30' radius. This ability gives the bornura an insight bonus equal to their Wisdom modifier on their next Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Sense Motive check to a single intelligent creature within the radius.
Nuralithic Augmentation: A bornura can use this ability as a swift action to boost the power of a crystal form. This ability lets a bornura gain a bonus to their crystal forming ability as if they were four levels higher for a number of rounds equal to their Wisdom modifier.

Should I use the original idea without charges, or go with this one (I'll need another Natural Talent ability for them to use though....)?

Lappy9000
2009-04-04, 01:33 PM
I know I've bumped these up quite a bit, but I'm getting anxious and I really could use some help on these. I have difficulty getting other things done until my other projects are completed.

So, I'm asking you guys: Please give me any advice/critique/comments/criticism you've got. Even if it's just a "They look fine" or something. It's extremely important that the balance is fine on all four races. Thank you :smallsmile:

Myou
2009-04-04, 02:09 PM
I'd love to help, but I don't know D20r.

But I like the Soulstitched a lot. :3

DracoDei
2009-04-04, 02:12 PM
I also don't know d20r... but I am working on looking these over never-the-less... note that it might be a while.

RandomFellow
2009-04-04, 02:15 PM
I don't know d20r well enough to say whether or not these are balanced against those races...

However, I'll try to give my 2 cents about balance b/t the races you posted. :P

Aranea
I'd drop the strength penalty. A penalty to constitution is already enough of a drawback.

Boruna
It needs a -2 stat penalty. The abilities are a bit better than Aranea and the only real drawback is the Initiative.

Aqua Aura is too strong. I would make it be self only.

Dazzling Jewel is too strong. I would reduce it to 5% from 10%. Even then, 25% miss chance is mechanically superior to +5 AC from Natural Armor.

Therefore, I would make Gem Armor +1 Natural Armor every 3 levels instead of +1 every 4 levels. So you'd end up with +7 AC from Natural Armor at level 20 vs. a 25% miss chance. Even then, personally, I'd take Dazzling Jewel.

Soul Stitched
Seems fine as is but I am known for undervaluing immunities.

Trogs seem fine.

Lappy9000
2009-04-04, 09:25 PM
Ah, thank you all. I should have known d20r unfamilarity was the problem :smalltongue:

Let's use Lizardfolk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104775) as a base line.

I'd drop the strength penalty. A penalty to constitution is already enough of a drawback.True. However, that may put them on the strong side, with change shape, darkvision, psionics, grave resolve, natural weapons, and the save against enchantments. Not sure about this one.

Boruna
It needs a -2 stat penalty. The abilities are a bit better than Aranea and the only real drawback is the Initiative.

Aqua Aura is too strong. I would make it be self only.

Dazzling Jewel is too strong. I would reduce it to 5% from 10%. Even then, 25% miss chance is mechanically superior to +5 AC from Natural Armor.

Therefore, I would make Gem Armor +1 Natural Armor every 3 levels instead of +1 every 4 levels. So you'd end up with +7 AC from Natural Armor at level 20 vs. a 25% miss chance. Even then, personally, I'd take Dazzling Jewel.Oui, bornura have always been overpowered in some way or another :smallannoyed:

I might just throw out the Wisdom bonus entirely. It was cribbed on with the conversion. Keep in mind that the initiative and the inability to charge really hurts in gameplay, especially since you need to spend a feat to buy it off.

I'm surprised about Aqua Aura; I would have pegged that as the weakest of the abilities. The range was originally 5' prior to conversion.

You may be on to something with Dazzling Jewel, but 25% is just above concealment. You can get 20% concealment as a 2nd level Psionic power; and trust me, it's not as great in practice as it sounds (doesn't even stack with other forms of concealment).

Soul Stitched
Seems fine as is but I am known for undervaluing immunitiesThey've been playtested more than any other of the races. The immunities are nice, but the half-bonus from healing is a big factor and the Dex penalty sends their AC's down to the nether regions.

I'd love to help, but I don't know D20r.

But I like the Soulstitched a lot. :3Thanks :smallbiggrin:

Zeta Kai
2009-04-04, 11:02 PM
I find that whenever I have a race that I think is too powerful, I can balance it by removing one of their racial features. I then make a racial feat for them that grants that ability. You get balance, & a feat that ties into their culture, which can be an inspiration for more such feats.

RandomFellow
2009-04-04, 11:12 PM
This is just my 2 cents but...

+1 to a Saving Throw is worth more than +1 AC.

Attack Rolls scale up faster than Spell DC.

Then make it cover allies within 10' on top of that...

My main issue with those abilities is some are clearly superior to others. And those abilities are superior to any 2 of the other racial abilities any other race gets.

I can't think of a reason someone would pick an ability other than the Saving Throw Aura or the Miss Chance. The damage abilities don't scale well compared to alternative options. Ditto for the SR.

25 SR at level 20 is beaten by 1 feat (everytime) or spell (every time after you hit with it). It would be taking if the game was never going past 8th level tho.

As for the 'it is just slightly better than a 2nd level spell' thing...

25% Miss Chance and 30 AC vs. 1d20+20
35 AC vs. 1d20+20

You hit on a 10, 75% of the time vs. you hit on a 15.

15-20 = 30% chance to hit (roughly)
@+7 that drops to 20%
10-20 = 55% chance to hit (roughly) .55*.75 = .4125 or 41.25% of the time. However, miss chance still provides protection against quite a few other things that natural armor does not (e.g. touch attacks) which makes it mechanically superior since those touch attacks are alot more dangerous (e.g. Enervation) than getting hit once for 2d6+20 or whatever.

The way you currently have it...
.55 * .5 = 27.5% chance to hit w/ miss chance.

This puts it in the 'Why on earth would you ever take Natural Armor option?' category. On top of providing 50% protection form ranged touch attacks at high levels...

Lappy9000
2009-04-04, 11:51 PM
I find that whenever I have a race that I think is too powerful, I can balance it by removing one of their racial features. I then make a racial feat for them that grants that ability. You get balance, & a feat that ties into their culture, which can be an inspiration for more such feats.Always a wonderful alternative. Thank you!

My main issue with those abilities is some are clearly superior to others. And those abilities are superior to any 2 of the other racial abilities any other race gets.This right here is the biggest thing I need to work out.

Internet is great, I can get other people to crunch the numbers for me just by asking, so, thanks a bunch :smallbiggrin:

But back to work....
Aqua Aura: Here...I really don't get how it can possibly be that powerful when you get virtually the same bonus from a cantrip. Granted, it is given over to allies, but considering how adventuring parties typically don't huddle together very often, reducing the range to 5' seems like a good balancer.

Clear Immersion: Spell Resistance is a fickle, fickle thing. It can be either totally awesome, or completely worthless, given the context of the situation. Reduction to SR 5 perhaps? Also, what feat beats it every time? Surely you don't mean Spell Penetration?

Crystal Edge: Natural weapon with a +1 bonus. Normally defined as weak by default. However, don't underestimate the "cool factor" of beating someone in the face with brass knuckles made out of crystallized blood.

Dazzling Gem: I can definitely see where you're coming from with the miss chance. Reducing it to 5% seems like a more balanced alternative.

Gem Armor: Natural Armor, yup. Despite it being weaker, I really can't afford to buff this one, lest the bornura become that "zomg ovrpwrd!1!" race. Rather, it would be better for balance to try to bring the other abilties down to its level.

Light Amplification: Ranged touch attack. I've...really got nothing here.

RandomFellow
2009-04-05, 12:14 AM
Always a wonderful alternative. Thank you!

This right here is the biggest thing I need to work out.

Internet is great, I can get other people to crunch the numbers for me just by asking, so, thanks a bunch :smallbiggrin:

Your welcome. Heh.

But back to work....
Aqua Aura: Here...I really don't get how it can possibly be that powerful when you get virtually the same bonus from a cantrip. Granted, it is given over to allies, but considering how adventuring parties typically don't huddle together very often, reducing the range to 5' seems like a good balancer.

Clear Immersion: Spell Resistance is a fickle, fickle thing. It can be either totally awesome, or completely worthless, given the context of the situation. Reduction to SR 5 perhaps? Also, what feat beats it every time? Surely you don't mean Spell Penetration?

The take 10 on CL check feat. So if your CL 20, you beat SR 30 every time.

I don't remember the name but I'm sure you can find it on CrystalKeep.

I'd make the SR 11+HD personally. Then it would be useful.

Crystal Edge: Natural weapon with a +1 bonus. Normally defined as weak by default. However, don't underestimate the "cool factor" of beating someone in the face with brass knuckles made out of crystallized blood.

Ok. :P

Dazzling Gem: I can definitely see where you're coming from with the miss chance. Reducing it to 5% seems like a more balanced alternative.

Yaya! We agree I'm not insane!

Gem Armor: Natural Armor, yup. Despite it being weaker, I really can't afford to buff this one, lest the bornura become that "zomg ovrpwrd!1!" race. Rather, it would be better for balance to try to bring the other abilties down to its level.

Ok.

Light Amplification: Ranged touch attack. I've...really got nothing here.
[/quote]
Coolness factor of having your own laser beam? :P

Lappy9000
2009-04-05, 12:39 AM
The take 10 on CL check feat. So if your CL 20, you beat SR 30 every time.
I don't remember the name but I'm sure you can find it on CrystalKeep.
I'd make the SR 11+HD personally. Then it would be useful.Well, it really helps the player if all the abilities stack in the same fashion, so boosting the SR by every four levels will probably be fine.

No worries on that feat, though. If it ain't core, it ain't in d20r (OGL issues, blah).

Coolness factor of having your own laser beam? :P Y.E.S. Light Amplification by Stimulated Emmissions of Radiation.

H'okay, awesome. Now, question: How do you feel about the charge mechanic I proposed in the second post?

Pyrusticia
2009-04-05, 12:50 AM
I like the soulstitched (I've always been fond of undead variants). The picture won't load for me, but I'm assuming it's something like a sentient and soul-bound flesh golem?

There's a couple parts that don't make sense, though.

First off, the stats. I can understand why you'd give it a penalty to Dex (slowed reflexes) and Wisdom (dulled wits). However, the bonus to Charisma makes no sense to me. Most people would be repulsed by what is, essentially, a walking corpse. Yes, I know these aren't true undead, and they have a Con score, but that's still what they look like. Nor is there any fluff talking about how charming or seductive they are (like there is for vampires). What, then, is the rational for the boost to Charisma?

Also, the Pain Split ability is interesting in theory, but seems fairly useless in practice. Maybe it's different in d20r, but I've never seen anyone use the Acrobatics ability. I'd suggest modifying this by having it affect Tumbling (either instead of, or in addition to, Acrobatics). This way as the Soulstitched's hp go down, their defense has the potential to increase, assuming they stick with light or no armor (and from the looks of it, these guys aren't really designed to be heavy-armor wearers, anyway).

In line with that last thought, one possible change to stats that would seem to make a little more sense would be to give them a Str penalty, and a Dex bonus (their muscles aren't truly connected, which allows them greater flexibility and the ability to do stuff like Detach Limb, but interferes with the different muscle groups working together to create power). If you go this route, you might want to also consider giving them Rogue as a favored class, instead of Sorcerer. Either would work, though, so it really depends on the fluff behind these guys.

RandomFellow
2009-04-05, 12:54 AM
Well, it really helps the player if all the abilities stack in the same fashion, so boosting the SR by every four levels will probably be fine.

No worries on that feat, though. If it ain't core, it ain't in d20r (OGL issues, blah).

It isn't OGL so ya your safe I guess. :P

Y.E.S. Light Amplification by Stimulated Emmissions of Radiation.

H'okay, awesome. Now, question: How do you feel about the charge mechanic I proposed in the second post?

You'd have to give them some kind of penalty to balance that out... :P

Or give them a Racial Feat which gives that ability.

Lappy9000
2009-04-05, 02:04 AM
I like the soulstitched (I've always been fond of undead variants). The picture won't load for me, but I'm assuming it's something like a sentient and soul-bound flesh golem?

There's a couple parts that don't make sense, though.

First off, the stats. I can understand why you'd give it a penalty to Dex (slowed reflexes) and Wisdom (dulled wits). However, the bonus to Charisma makes no sense to me. Most people would be repulsed by what is, essentially, a walking corpse. Yes, I know these aren't true undead, and they have a Con score, but that's still what they look like. Nor is there any fluff talking about how charming or seductive they are (like there is for vampires). What, then, is the rational for the boost to Charisma?

Also, the Pain Split ability is interesting in theory, but seems fairly useless in practice. Maybe it's different in d20r, but I've never seen anyone use the Acrobatics ability. I'd suggest modifying this by having it affect Tumbling (either instead of, or in addition to, Acrobatics). This way as the Soulstitched's hp go down, their defense has the potential to increase, assuming they stick with light or no armor (and from the looks of it, these guys aren't really designed to be heavy-armor wearers, anyway).

In line with that last thought, one possible change to stats that would seem to make a little more sense would be to give them a Str penalty, and a Dex bonus (their muscles aren't truly connected, which allows them greater flexibility and the ability to do stuff like Detach Limb, but interferes with the different muscle groups working together to create power). If you go this route, you might want to also consider giving them Rogue as a favored class, instead of Sorcerer. Either would work, though, so it really depends on the fluff behind these guys.You don't give me enough credit, sir. Where's the fun in making a brutish golemesque (not undead:smallyuk:) race? :smallwink:

In d20r, Acrobatics includes Balance, Escape Artist, and Tumble.

It's important to keep in mind that Charisma is:
d20 SRD

....a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness. This ability represents actual strength of personality, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting.

For the fluff...

Here's the short version: Soulstitched have a powerful presence, but are often rash and impulsive, and their unnaturally earned body parts make their movements somewhat awkward and unsure.

Here's the long version: http://webzoom.freewebs.com/lego12340/soulstitched.jpg
Soulstitched are truly sentient constructs originally created solely to serve their masters. Once the creation process was refined, the soulstitched, now bound by the souls of four deceased humans, utilized their new-found awareness to bring terror to their oppressive creators.

Personality: Possessing the combined psyches of four individuals has given the soulstitched a powerful and alluring presence. Although careless and flighty by naure, the audacious and charismatic appeal of the soulstitched allow them to attract many allies and admirers.

Physical Description: Barely resembling their flesh golem predecessors, soulstitched look like well-formed humans with stitches and seams running across their bodies. These stitches can come apart at will, allowing the soulstiched the unsettling ability to control their appendages from afar.

Soulstitched follow no uniform body type, with their figures varying from slightly oversized or undersized appendages or patches of various skin colors, to different tinted eyes, and even hair of varying hues. The only things concrete are their creation from pure human sources and a sense of gender among the race. Therefore, while the soulstitched are technically sexless, they do have clearly defined gender but are incapable of mating and have no urge to do so.

Alignment: Soulstitched lean strongly toward freedom and non-conformity, a fact that separated them from their lawful masters. They are most often Chaotic Neutral.

Soulstitched Lands: The soulstitched were first designed in large human cities, and most find little reason to leave places where they can so openly pursue their own interests.

Religion: Many soulstitched find no use for religion, but some seek a sense of control in their lives and will dedicate themselves to, often or not, a chaotic deity of their local pantheon.

Language: Soulstitched speak common, the language of their creators and have no native tongue of their own.

Pyrusticia
2009-04-05, 04:10 AM
You don't give me enough credit, sir. Where's the fun in making a brutish golemesque (not undead:smallyuk:) race? :smallwink:

You're right, I did, and I apologize. I also apologize for the unintended "undead" insult, but when I first saw the name I was reminded of the old template by a similar name (spell-stitched) that could be applied to an undead, granting them bonus spells, turn resistance, etc.

In d20r, Acrobatics includes Balance, Escape Artist, and Tumble.

Ah, with that in mind, the ability looks great as-is. :smallsmile:

For the fluff...

Here's the short version: Soulstitched have a powerful presence, but are often rash and impulsive, and their unnaturally earned body parts make their movements somewhat awkward and unsure.

*nods* Now the Charisma boost makes sense. I wasn't trying to say charisma was limited to appearance, only that it could be appearance or personality (or a combination), and that without an appealing appearance, they would need some sort of fluff to explain their strength of personality. What you've provided does that very nicely.

Again, they'd probably face some prejudice due to their appearance if they travel outside of the areas where they're common, but that only fits in with your fluff that they don't tend to travel much.

The fluff does raise one more question, though...not really important from a game balance standpoint, but important from a flavor/fluff standpoint:

The only things concrete are their creation from pure human sources and a sense of gender among the race. Therefore, while the soulstitched are technically sexless, they do have clearly defined gender but are incapable of mating and have no urge to do so.

So, are soul-stitched impossible to create from other humanoids? No orcs, elves, etc?

Lappy9000
2009-04-05, 09:53 AM
I also apologize for the unintended "undead" insult:smalltongue:

So, are soul-stitched impossible to create from other humanoids? No orcs, elves, etc?For balance issues (and convienence for that matter), a plain vanilla soulstitched is made from purely human sources. There's some kind cop-out "It don't work, thar!" explanation, however, I'm making a series of feats that lets the soulstitched "steal" limbs from other races and gaining bonuses; at the expense of their Charisma. This is known as a soulstitched abomination (the idea will end up looking similar to Tears of Blood's fleshwrought, although I'm trying to keep the two as distant as possible).

blackspeeker
2009-04-05, 03:45 PM
:smalltongue:

For balance issues (and convienence for that matter), a plain vanilla soulstitched is made from purely human sources. There's some kind cop-out "It don't work, thar!" explanation, however, I'm making a series of feats that lets the soulstitched "steal" limbs from other races and gaining bonuses; at the expense of their Charisma. This is known as a soulstitched abomination (the idea will end up looking similar to Tears of Blood's fleshwrought, although I'm trying to keep the two as distant as possible).

That'd be all sorts of badass if I could put a bornura's laser arms on.

Lappy9000
2009-04-07, 10:45 AM
That'd be all sorts of badass if I could put a bornura's laser arms on.Laser arm, crystal blade arm, spell resistant leg, natural armor leg; collect them all!

Okay, thanks for the help, folks. The changes I've got so far include:
Drop the Bornura's Wisdom Bonus
Lower Bornura's Dazzling Gem to 5% Miss Chance
Objections? Further comments?