PDA

View Full Version : April Fools Prophecy: WotC vs. PotC

CaptainCommando
2009-04-01, 02:59 PM
While I'm waiting for tomorrow's job interview, I've decided to entertain the forums with an april fool's day prediction. This prediction however has a double edge. It may actually happen. If it does occur, the naysayers are the fools. If it doesn't occur, both the writer and the believers are the fools. This should be good for a laugh at least.

In the year 2010 and/or 2011...

Following his success in reaching the top 5 in American Idol, one of the idol finalists (an asian-american :smallamused:) uses his newly acquired fame to gather reputable game designers to join a recently formed NYC-based company called Pirates of the Coast.

The flagship PotC product is a new d20-based set of game rules that is an innovative amalgam of Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition rules and rules from various other role playing games (this is actually possible under IP law). Proponents of all editions of d20-based gaming hail the system as the vanguard of a new golden age of tabletop gaming.

Pirates of the Coast contacts Square Enix, and gains the license to produce a Final Fantasy themed version of the system's core rulebooks. WotC attempts to compete for the license, but the executives at Square Enix prefer the more adaptive nature of PotC's game rules. Nintendo is next, and the rules are used to create a Pokemon-themed tabletop game. The worlds of Naruto and Harry Potter also become settings for the rules.

The Final Fantasy-themed rulebooks quickly overtake the original core books as the flagship product of Pirates of the Coast. For the very first time, the dominance of Dungeons and Dragons and WotC over the tabletop RPG industry is challenged, in the form of a brand originally inspired by Dungeons and Dragons. Pirates of the Coast even goes so far as to produce painted plastic miniatures products and publish fantasy novels supporting its game product lines.

The fierce competition between WotC and PotC produces better quality writing and design as well as reduced prices for books and supplemental game tools.

The idol contestant makes sure that a portion of the proceeds from all sales of PotC products is donated to the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. WotC makes a similar overture to ensure competitive public relations.

PotC is eventually bought by a rival of Hasbro. The flow of donations to the hospital is protected in writing after an exchange of diplomacy and veiled threats. :smallbiggrin:

The publicity of the battles between WotC and PotC attracts millions of new gamers to the hobby, and a new golden age of gaming does indeed arrive.

Gaming has been revitalized and childrens' lives have been saved.

The idol contestant stands on a building roof top and watches the sun set...

Starbuck_II
2009-04-01, 03:44 PM
2011 at the easliest.

Another_Poet
2009-04-01, 03:49 PM
I like it, except that the Final Fantasy and Pokemon are already past their peak popularity (in terms of market share, not gross obviously) and Harry Potter and Naruto will be in decline as well by 2011.

The best licenses to buy would be the ones that become super popular in mid 2010.

ap

Irate Ranger
2009-04-01, 03:50 PM
Damn You William Hung!

Telonius
2009-04-01, 03:51 PM
Great, but the idea had already been posted by NotC.

CaptainCommando
2009-04-01, 05:05 PM
I like it, except that the Final Fantasy and Pokemon are already past their peak popularity (in terms of market share, not gross obviously) and Harry Potter and Naruto will be in decline as well by 2011.

The best licenses to buy would be the ones that become super popular in mid 2010.

ap

The much anticipated Final Fantasy 13 will have its world wide release during this time period.

It would be good timing for the future PotC to put out a tabletop Final Fantasy.

The Harry Potter movies are also keeping interest in that franchise strong.

There will always be love for magical pet monsters and the violent, painful duels we put them through. Pokémon Forever!!!

Ravens_cry
2009-04-01, 06:16 PM
Great, but the idea had already been posted by NotC.
I didn't see it.:smallwink:

Frosty
2009-04-01, 08:32 PM
Within a year's time, Pathfinder will become so popular that Wizards of the Coast will be bought out and be renamed Paizo of the Coast.

UserClone
2009-04-02, 02:45 AM
Eeww...NotC is a terrible pun. But fitting in a way.

ErrantX
2009-04-02, 03:38 AM
With today's trends, it's likely to be a Twilight-based RPG.

And then I'd slit my throat.

-X

mikeejimbo
2009-04-02, 06:37 AM

-X

Couldn't you just play V:tM with teenage girls for the same effect?

Drascin
2009-04-02, 06:53 AM
Couldn't you just play V:tM with teenage girls for the same effect?

No, because if the system accomodates even slightly awesome characters, at least one of the teenage girls is bound to actually make one, thereby destroying the whole Twilight feeling.

In fact, if I played Vampire with my teenage cousin, I'm pretty sure she'd go with Protean for claws, and Celerity, and start gutting people left and right. The gal's a damn berserker when you give her dice. And we can't risk the chance of something like that in a Twilight RPG :smallwink:.

Draz74
2009-04-02, 11:33 AM
PotC is eventually bought by a rival of Hasbro. The flow of donations to the hospital is protected in writing after an exchange of diplomacy and veiled threats. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, see, here's where you lost credibility with me. Hasbro doesn't have any rivals. :smallyuk: Especially in the USA.

Seriously, they own Milton Bradley, Parker Brothers, and Avalon Hill ...

CaptainCommando
2009-04-02, 01:11 PM
Yeah, see, here's where you lost credibility with me. Hasbro doesn't have any rivals. :smallyuk: Especially in the USA.

Seriously, they own Milton Bradley, Parker Brothers, and Avalon Hill ...

They don't own Mattel. There was an attempted merger but too many antitrust issues came into play.

Mattel is currently #1 and Hasbro is currently #2.

Starbuck_II
2009-04-02, 01:47 PM

-X

So Sparkle-vampires? Hmm, I've never wached the movie so I don't know how bad that would be.