PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Artifacts

Death_McMuffin
2005-07-30, 02:02 PM
Anyone come up with sweet/awesome/l33t artifacts or magic items? If there is arleady a thread for this, I don't care.
Mine:
Roobic's cube
A nefarious artifact created by the mad mage Roobic. Any creature touching it must make a will save (DC 30) or start to fiddle with it. An intelligence check (DC 25) will determine if the holder soves the puzzle or if s/he can't solve it. If the intelligence save is failed, another will save (DC 30) is rolled. If this save is failed the holder is subject to an insanity spell at CL 25. Anyone in company of the holder will look on with bemusement.

jdrich
2005-07-30, 02:47 PM
I don't think I would consider that an artifact.

Vaynor
2005-07-30, 03:24 PM
heres a good one

Vecnas Glove -- The glove miraculously heals any disease or injury when the owner
touches it to the ill person. The disease is transferred into the glove and
"magnified"; it must soon be transferred (again by touch) to another, who dies.
If the disease is not transferred within a certain time, it kills the owner.

OracleYori
2005-07-30, 03:39 PM
I don't think I would consider that an artifact.
what a spoilsport-

anyway-

in one game, there was a fork that would 'fork' magic...it rocked pretty hard core, but it was a pain to keep- we lost it and found it 5 times in a single game session, as after a few rounds, it would fork out and run away, looking for a dish and a spoon or something

Titanium_Dragon
2005-07-30, 03:54 PM
One of my favorite artifacts was introduced in the 2nd edition DMG as an example of such a device; it was an organ that could only be found once, and obviously was quite immobile. However, by playing the right songs on it, various effects would occur; of course, if you screwed up you could do very bad things to yourself or others.

Even played improperly though, it would still be hauntingly beautiful, and those who listened to it would have to make saves of some sort or slowly pine away because not even the finest foods were as exquisite as the sounds of the organ.

In one recent campaign I was in, there were a number of minor artifacts; each player recieved one as a reward for an essentially suicidal mission. My character recieved a glove with the sap of some tree of life in it; it would maximimize one spell per day and make it ignore spell resistance, and all other SR checks I got a +2 bonus on.

My favorite (minor) artifact I made up is probably a pair of swords called Donner and Blitzen. Individually they would make thunder and lightning, and deal sonic/electricity damage, but together they could create a deadly thunder storm. They didn't really have any drawback, but they weren't exactly together either; if someone was to find one they'd have to go hunting for the other.

RPKay
2005-07-30, 06:51 PM
Keys of Misplacement

These magical keys can open any mundanely-locked door, and any magically locked door locked by a caster with a caster level of less than or equal to either the keyholder's caster level or 15, whichever is higher. However, every time the holder wishes to use the key, they must make a Will Save of DC 26, or they will find that they have lost the keys, and they cannot find them. To find the keys again, the holder must make a search check equal to 26, and it takes 2 hours of searching within the area that charcter has travelled in the last hour.

jdrich
2005-07-30, 08:48 PM
heres a good one

Vecnas Glove -- The glove miraculously heals any disease or injury when the owner
touches it to the ill person. The disease is transferred into the glove and
"magnified"; it must soon be transferred (again by touch) to another, who dies.
If the disease is not transferred within a certain time, it kills the owner.

Sounds like a very flavorful item. What if the owner was the sort that used the power for evil? Lets say he had a small cult of followers, and each of them would become 'diseased' to suit his favor. He would cure thier disease, and then use the power for evil - killing innocents, etc?

Might be a great mid-level quest.

Fredderf
2006-08-27, 03:57 PM
The organ sounds really cool. Do you have any hard info about it you could post?

NEO|Phyte
2006-08-27, 04:06 PM
I made this for the Overdeity in the campaign world I'll get around to making someday.

Scythe of Balance (alternate names: O'Varkiil, Naatt'Wenniver'S'Deth, Dee'Ehmsay'S'Diy, Rokkzfa'Levari'Ondies)

+10 Acidic Blast Fiery Blast Flaming Burst Icy Blast Icy Burst Lightning Blast Shocking Burst Sonic Blast Thundering Psychokinetic Psychokinetic Burst Anarchic Power Axiomatic Power Unholy Power Holy Power Scythe

Every hit with the Scythe of Balance is treated as a Coup de Grace attempt. This ability functions even if the target is normally immune to critical hits, as long as the target does not possess more Divine Ranks than the weilder. If wielded by anyone that isn't true neutral, the Scythe of Balance delivers a Coup de Grace to its wielder and vanishes.

martyboy74
2006-08-27, 04:12 PM
I made this for the Overdeity in the campaign world I'll get around to making someday.

That's one helluva enhancement bonus.

Seraph
2006-08-27, 06:26 PM
a fanservicey one I made for my ill-fated Elderscrolls compendium.

Mehrune's Razor

this +5 Keen Adamantium Dagger was created by the Daedric Lord Mehrunes Dagon as an object to sow destruction. uniquely, any Outsider killed by this weapon is killed permanently, even if not on their home plane. furthermore, on a critical hit, the struck creature must make a Will save (DC = 15 + Attack roll) or have their body destroyed and soul consumed by the blade. every 10 souls consumed as such confers an additional +1 on the Razor's enhancement bonus.