PDA

View Full Version : Familiar Ground, new D&D humor comic

cdrcjsn
2009-04-01, 07:57 PM
Hello everyone. I've officially launched my new comic, Familiar Ground.

http://www.familiar-ground.com

It's an epic fantasy comedy comic, told from the point of view of the animal companions.

It's a black and white, newspaper style strip. Currently I'm updating twice a week (Mondays and Wednesdays), though that will probably go up as I get more readers.

I planned ahead and managed to get in a full month's worth of strips in the archives.

I'll also eventually upload some 4e D&D content (maps you can print out and play on, random encounters, etc).

Let me know what you think.

Cedric Atizado

Kurald Galain
2009-04-04, 05:35 PM
Is this supposed to be gag-a-day or with an ongoing plot? Because your post suggests the latter, whereas the comic seems to be the former.

cdrcjsn
2009-04-05, 07:07 PM
Is this supposed to be gag-a-day or with an ongoing plot? Because your post suggests the latter, whereas the comic seems to be the former.

It's a bit of both.

There is an ongoing story line, but right now the characters are establishing their personalities, and this comes across mostly from the humor in each strip. If you follow allong the strip, you'll pick up the current plot and its progress.

I see what you mean though, and I'll definitely emphasize the humor aspect in future posts about it.

cdrcjsn
2009-04-14, 03:59 PM
Any other opinions? About the art? writing? site?

PhantomFox
2009-04-14, 05:14 PM
Well, let's give this a shot.

Well, it's not bad, but it needs a touch of work IMO. The art is simplistic, but effective. However, it is was in serious need of backgrounds, but you seemed to fix that halfway through April, so that's good. Though the occasional white background still seems to crop up now and again. So watch out for that. I would also vary the poses from time to time. Toad is almost always viewed from the front, and I think I've seen about 3 poses from Cat tops. Maybe five. Coco seems to suffer a bit from this too, though not as much. Mix it up some, don't rely on cut-n-paste so much. Try to move away from the headshots.

The humor is amusing, but unfortunately nothing special. Which isn't to say it's bad. It made me smile, but that's about it. Though if you're about to get the plot in gear, then that might hold my interest better.

So it shows promise, and I'll look into it again later on once the story gets in gear.

cdrcjsn
2009-04-16, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the comments.

I'm definitely trying to include more background with different character poses and am working on that.

I actually don't use cut/paste, though I have to admit that the headshots are somewhat of a cheat when I'm in a rush.

Here's my comic process: http://www.familiar-ground.com/about/the-comic-process/