PDA

View Full Version : Preist [CLASS]

Legoman
2006-08-21, 06:23 PM
I know there's probably been a billion 'Priest' classes before, but I wanted to take a crack at my own.
Priest, AKA 'Healbot'
Alignment: Any Good.
Hit Die: d4
Skill Points: 6+int

Class Skills: ( Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (n/a), Spellcraft (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha).)

BaB progression: As Wizard
Bad saves: Fort, Reflex
Good Saves: Will

Spells/ Day: As Sorcerer With the exception of 2 added domain slots at every spell level beyond 0.

Specials
1: Turn Undead/Holy Chant/ Inspire Courage +1
3: Divine Protection
5: Inspire Courage +2
7: Divine Reach
9: Inspire Greatness
13: Inspire Courage +3
17: Divine Gift
20: Divine Gift

All the following are class features of the healbot.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Healbots are proficient with all simple weapons. Healbots are not proficient in the use of armor, and may not cast divine spells in armor, even if they are to gain the proficiency through other means.

Aura (Ex): A healbot of a chaotic, evil, good, or lawful deity has a particularly powerful aura corresponding to the deity’s alignment (see the detect evil spell for details).

Spells: A healbot casts divine spells, which are drawn from the cleric spell list. However, his alignment may restrict him from casting certain spells opposed to his moral or ethical beliefs; see Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells, below. A healbot must choose and prepare his spells in advance (see below).
To prepare or cast a spell, a healbot must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a healbot’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the healbot’s Wisdom modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a healbot can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Healbot. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score. A healbot also gets two domain spel'sl of each spell level he can cast, starting at 1st level. When a healbot prepares a spell in a domain spell slot, it must come from one of his two domains (see Deities, Domains, and Domain Spells, below). Priests automatically take Healing as one of their domains, they are free to take their second domain from their Dieties' list.
Healbots meditate or pray for their spells. Each healbot must choose a time at which he must spend 1 hour each day in quiet contemplation or supplication to regain his daily allotment of spells. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a healbot can prepare spells. A healbot may prepare and cast any spell on the healbot spell list, provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during his daily meditation.

Spontaneous Casting: A healbot can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that the healbot did not prepare ahead of time. The healbot can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with “cure” in its name).

Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells: A healbot can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.

Turn or Rebuke Undead (Su): Any healbot, regardless of alignment, has the power to affect undead creatures by channeling the power of his faith through his holy (or unholy) symbol (see Turn or Rebuke Undead).
A healbot may attempt to turn undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. A healbot with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (religion) gets a +2 bonus on turning checks against undead.

Healbot Chant: Once per day per healbot level, a healbot can use his chant to produce magical effects on those around him (usually including himself, if desired). Each ability requires both a minimum healbot level and a minimum number of ranks in the Perform skill to qualify; if a healbot does not have the required number of ranks in at least one Perform skill, he does not gain the healbot music ability until he acquires the needed ranks.
Starting a healbotic music effect is a standard action. Some healbotic music abilities require concentration, which means the healbot must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability. Even while using healbotic music that doesn’t require concentration, a healbot cannot cast spells, activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), or activate magic items by magic word (such as wands). Just as for casting a spell with a verbal component, a deaf healbot has a 20% chance to fail when attempting to use healbotic music. If he fails, the attempt still counts against his daily limit.

Inspire Courage (Su): A healbot with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself ), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the healbot sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the healbot sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. At 8th level, and every six healbot levels thereafter, this bonus increases by 1 (+2 at 8th, +3 at 14th, and +4 at 20th). Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability.

Inspire Greatness (Su): A healbot of 9th level or higher with 12 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use music or poetics to inspire greatness in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet, granting him or her extra fighting capability. For every three levels a healbot attains beyond 9th, he can target one additional ally with a single use of this ability (two at 12th level, three at 15th, four at 18th). To inspire greatness, a healbot must sing and an ally must hear him sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the healbot sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells that are Hit Dice dependant. Inspire greatness is a mind-affecting ability.

Inspire Heroics (Su): A healbot of 15th level or higher with 18 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use music or poetics to inspire tremendous heroism in himself or a single willing ally within 30 feet. For every three healbot levels the character attains beyond 15th, he can inspire heroics in one additional creature. To inspire heroics, a healbot must sing and an ally must hear the healbot sing for a full round. A creature so inspired gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws and a +4 dodge bonus to AC. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the healbot sing and for up to 5 rounds thereafter. Inspire heroics is a mind-affecting ability.

Divine Reach: Starting at 7th Level, a Healbot may cast touch-ranged ‘Cure Spells’ at a range of 25ft + 5ft/ healbot level.

Divine Gifts: At 17th and 20th Levels, the Healbot has earned the favor of his chosen deity, and is given a one-time-chance to commune with said deity for an hour. During this hour, the Healbot may ask three questions of his deity, as with the ‘Commune with Deity Spell.’ The Healbot may also make one special request for divine grace, which depending on the Healbot’s devotion, prestige, and record of service, will either be granted or substituted with something the deity finds more favorable. Asking for an artifact sword, for instance, will probably not be granted, but the diety may instead give a quarterstaff that enhances the caster level of the healbot when casting heal spells, for example. (DM DISCRETION!)

Divine Protection: At 4th level, the Healbot’s devotion and faith has grown to the point of making him tangibly harder to harm. The Healbot may apply his Wisdom modifier to his AC, at a maximum bonus of 1/Healbot level. Neutral and Evil aligned creatures may make a Will save for each attack against the Healbot, at a DC (10+healbot Level+Wisdom Modifyer), to bypass the bonus for that specific attack. Good aligned creatures cannot bypass this effect, unless the Healbot is acting in ways flagrantly evil or opposed to their code of conduct.

Healbot Code: The healbot is bound to never knowingly let a Good or Neutral aligned being die, without first making a satisfactory effort to stabilize/save the being. (Casting a Cure Minor Wounds on someone at -8, when other more powerful spells are active would not, for example, count. However, if they cast Cure Minor Wounds to stabilize the person while attending to a graver situation, and the dying person later dies without the Healbots knowledge, the healbot is not culpable. Players, don’t be a **** about this.) If the Healbot violates this code of conduct, they lose all spells and features of the healbot class, and can no longer take healbot levels until they atone.

amanodel
2006-08-21, 10:02 PM
Interesting idea, but I guess it isn't something I'd try in a game. It's good to have a super healing band around, but it bores the player to death to play such a charachter. Stay away from combats, let the other do the nasty work, and patch up everyone.

Not that it's a bad character idea, but personnaly I'd say that d&d is all about hack'n'slashing dragons with bastard swords and turn goblin hordes into ashes with a fireball.

The concept is good, but to tell you the truth, I'd rather buy a wand of cure light wounds and have a ranger or something in the party.

But mechanically, it seems okay.

To summarize: I think it's really a heal-bot, and bots are usually do uninteresting, boring tasks. Something I wouldn't wish for a player in my games.

(You have been playing with Lineage2 and WoW a lot recently, haven't you?)

edit: you could make it more playable and interesting if you'd make him a healer/2nd skill monkey. you gave him 6+int skill/lev. Give him class skill. lots of them. (maybe even more sinister ones, like intimidate or forgery)

swordmaster2000
2006-08-22, 12:23 AM
Forgery is a skill!?! and thank you!!!! this is just the class I was looking for! Merci Boucoup (thank you very mutch) (in french)

Legoman
2006-08-22, 05:29 PM
This is actually a class I designed for myself for a campaign my roomate is running.

Granted, I don't get to annihilate with a spiked chain, but I took fire domain so I get a couple of burning hands/day, can heal for about 50 pts/damage a day at level 3 (Before I get second level spells), I buff better than I bard can, and as a trade off for cutting down on my spell list, my DM gave me this ability:

Powerful healing.
At 5th, 10th, and 15th levels, the healing of the Priest's Cure spells increases one die step. Therefore, at level 5, A Priest rolls d10s instead of D8s, then d12s at level 10, and finally d20s at level 15.

So yeah, pretty ownage.

I'm debating multiclassing though after I hit level 4 for my +wis to AC from divine bonus. Maybe monk, for another +wis to AC :D. Of course, they can bypass half of that for a will save, but with Shield of faith ticking, I'm hitting an AC of 23. (10 + 2 Dex +1 Masterwork Robes +2 Shield of Faith +4 Wisdom +4 Wisdom [DC 18 Will save negates])

Cloth tank FTW!

Fredderf
2006-08-27, 03:31 PM
I thinks I'm gonna have to agree with Amanodel. Although an interesting idea, it either has too much healing w/ no fun, or ends up being a sorcerer with less dmg spells. I guess it could be alright for an NPC though. I never really had a problem with the amt. of spells the cleric gets per day in the first place.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-27, 04:20 PM
This is the ultimate NPC race ever. It also happens to be aptly nicknamed, it basically is a healing robot, along with any offensive spells clerics might have *snicker*. But I also have to say that for a player to use this, he'd be either very bored, or very strange. I really like the whole 'conversation with your deity' thing, because that is exactly what anyone devoted enough to be a priest would wish for above all else. All in all a good job, and I may apply this to my campaign with your permission.