PDA

View Full Version : Hey, V, before you leave...

JonahFalcon
2009-04-01, 10:45 PM
...maybe you could have fixed your kids' legs? :smallconfused:

RMS Oceanic
2009-04-01, 10:58 PM
And how could (s)he do that without any healing magic?

JonahFalcon
2009-04-01, 11:01 PM

And you know V can't because... why?

chiasaur11
2009-04-01, 11:03 PM

Divine nonintervention deal.

Kranden
2009-04-01, 11:05 PM
Hey kids remember, when you are in control of powerful evil mages that are only along for the ride to destroy as much as possible, be sure to heal your kids while your at it.

OOPS I meant CSW not fireball! NOT AGAIN!

Studoku
2009-04-01, 11:13 PM
Mending. That's either a genius use of a cantrip or a spectacularly bad idea.

Or, as a sensible solution, teleport them to an elven temple and get them healed there.

Sholos
2009-04-01, 11:22 PM
Mending does not affect creatures. Teleporting his family to a temple would have been nice, yes, but I think part of the point of this is that V is definitely getting a little obsessed with his power streak.

Yendor
2009-04-01, 11:31 PM
Teleport wouldn't work, as they'd have to be willing.

Borris
2009-04-02, 02:35 AM
Besides, teleporting in the temple of a good deity might not be a good idea in V's current state. Who's to say how the cleric would react to the presence of such a visibly evil creature. They might attack V outright or, even worse, exorcise the bound sould and strip V of all that unlimited arcane power. Sure, V could at least have teleported Inkyrius and the kids within walking distance of a temple, but who's to say they aren't already.

And there is the whole "targets must be willing" part. Convincing the whole family might not be a most effective use of that power. The less time it takes for V to fix everything, the less soul use the two remaining fiends will get.

kusje
2009-04-02, 02:45 AM
Hey V, before you leave... Lock the door behind you!

lord_khaine
2009-04-02, 04:37 AM
Besides, teleporting in the temple of a good deity might not be a good idea in V's current state. Who's to say how the cleric would react to the presence of such a visibly evil creature. They might attack V outright or, even worse, exorcise the bound sould and strip V of all that unlimited arcane power. Sure, V could at least have teleported Inkyrius and the kids within walking distance of a temple, but who's to say they aren't already.

i dont think any cleric under epic level has a snowballs chance in hell of exorcising anything from V at this point.

Secris
2009-04-02, 04:50 AM
i dont think any cleric under epic level has a snowballs chance in hell of exorcising anything from V at this point.

While I don't disagree, I can't help but believe that the clerics wouldn't be in too much of a rush to heal some random elves that a wickedly powerful evil creature dropped in their temple despite the fact they won't set off detect evil. The word purge comes to mind.

lord_khaine
2009-04-02, 06:35 AM
While I don't disagree, I can't help but believe that the clerics wouldn't be in too much of a rush to heal some random elves that a wickedly powerful evil creature dropped in their temple despite the fact they won't set off detect evil. The word purge comes to mind.

the keywords here are Wickedly powerfull, for anyone who would prefer to keep his temple as it is.

V'icternus
2009-04-02, 06:56 AM
Hey V, before you leave... Lock the door behind you!

Door? What door? V's house now consists of maybe one wall, with no windows or doors. And that's if you add it all together from the rubble. (Because acid doesn't leave rubble... )

"Locking the door behind you" works better when there's a door.

Now, "Hey V, before you leave, I'll take the ring back". That'd work. (I am of course merely assuming that elves also use wedding rings... It's hard to tell, 'cos, you know... stick figures. I mean, technically V is still wearing that ring they got off of Xykon. We still can't see it. (Which might be why Durkon and Belkar had no idea V was married... we can't see rings.))

Volkov
2009-04-02, 07:44 AM

A snowball has a pretty good chance in certain parts of baator. :smalltongue:

hewhosaysfish
2009-04-02, 08:20 AM

Polymorph them into something with regeneration?

Querzis
2009-04-02, 09:19 AM
Polymorph them into something with regeneration?

Woah, you really wanna make sure they are traumatized for life dont you?

Zherog
2009-04-02, 12:13 PM

Use summon monster VI to summon a bralani, and have it use it's spell-like ability of casting cure serious wounds. :smallwink:

Silverraptor
2009-04-02, 12:48 PM
Hey, V, before you leave *pop* arggg...too late.

NerfTW
2009-04-02, 02:24 PM

Because he can't use or replicate divine spells, as explicitly stated during the bargaining.

As was pretty clear in the strip, V is more interested in maximizing the amount he can do in the shortest time possible. His family is more than capable of getting to a healer themselves.

adam_antio
2009-04-02, 04:26 PM
Vaarsuvius COULD cast healing spells.

Cure Critical Wounds: ARCANE 4th level bard spell
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cureCriticalWounds.htm

Wish: 9th level wizard/sorcerer spell
wich you can use to reproduce any spell even if its not in your spell list (highest level determined by the type of spell, but the lowest... highest is 5th level for every spell).
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm

He could not cast Wish if none of the souls know it, but it's very improbable.

edit: I have to do a correction.
From the Wish spell's description, you also can:

Remove injuries and afflictions. A single wish can aid one creature per caster level, and all subjects are cured of the same kind of affliction. For example, you could heal all the damage you and your companions have taken, or remove all poison effects from everyone in the party, but not do both with the same wish. A wish can never restore the experience point loss from casting a spell or the level or Constitution loss from being raised from the dead.

Kaytara
2009-04-02, 05:04 PM

Wish: 9th level wizard/sorcerer spell
wich you can use to reproduce any spell even if its not in your spell list (highest level determined by the type of spell, but the lowest... highest is 5th level for every spell).
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm

He could not cast Wish if none of the souls know it, but it's very improbable.

edit: I have to do a correction.
From the Wish spell's description, you also can:

Except, as already mentioned here, the fiends specified that Vaarsuvius would not be able to duplicate ANY DIVINE MAGIC while Spliced, not even with Wish. So, in essence, if V casts Polymorph on himself, a spell that heals the subject when cast, he wouldn't experience the healing effects because he's not allowed to duplicate divine magic.
Healing is divine magic, so V can't duplicate it, no matter what spells he uses.

Yellow
2009-04-02, 10:12 PM
Nag nag nag Vaarsuvius heal your kids Vaarsuvius put out the fires Vaarsuvius fix the house Vaarsuvius end world hunger

GSFB
2009-04-02, 11:15 PM
if V casts Polymorph on himself, a spell that heals the subject when cast, he wouldn't experience the healing effects because he's not allowed to duplicate divine magic.

I don't believe that is correct. It is too much extrapolation. It is like saying since Flame Strike makes fire and is divine, V couldn't have cast Delayed Blast Fireball because it also makes fire and therefore must be divine.

No, I am pretty sure the deal means "no spells that are explicitly, by name, on the divine spell lists only" and that includes using Wish to replicate them by name.

There are probably plenty of ways V could use purely arcane magic to obtain a healing effect. Summoning a creature that can cast divine spells seems the simplest, and no reason why V couldn't do it... other than obsession with using power for other things, that is.

EyethatBinds
2009-04-03, 01:19 AM
Polymorph any object could help. He'd just have to change his children into identical copies of themselves but with non-broken legs. Since the creature they are turning into is both of equal intelligence, is a similar creature, and there is only a cosmetic change the spell should be permanent.

The kids would still be injured [missing hit points] but they would be capable of walking the next day, assuming they are at 0 HP now.

So V is just being callous.

thubby
2009-04-03, 01:35 AM
maybe he doesn't have wish prepped. seeing as how he is tied to a necromancer, an evoker, and a sorcerer, it's not exactly unreasonable.
and as already demonstrated these people are now terrified of him, assaulting a child with magic, even if it is a cure, when they are in no immediate danger would seem unwise.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-04-03, 07:22 PM
Teleport wouldn't work, as they'd have to be willing.

...and so your point is that Kyrie wouldn't want to heal his kids legs?
Or be at all touched that the FIRST thing V did after saving them all was make sure they were 100% OK?
Or decide that it was okay for his spouse to help BOTH their children?

You're saying that Kyrie wouldn't be willing? What's your logic here?

thubby
2009-04-03, 10:30 PM
...and so your point is that Kyrie wouldn't want to heal his kids legs?
Or be at all touched that the FIRST thing V did after saving them all was make sure they were 100% OK?
Or decide that it was okay for his spouse to help BOTH their children?

You're saying that Kyrie wouldn't be willing? What's your logic here?

that V is now a possessed and evil force and should be kept as far from those children as possible. SHE DOESN'T TRUST HIM

X2
2009-04-03, 10:34 PM
Maybe V was distracted, maybe he thought Inkyrius had it under control, maybe he doesn't care about his kids. Who cares they're elves!

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-04-03, 10:38 PM

Funny, I don't recall V being spliced with a bard.

X2
2009-04-03, 10:40 PM

Maybe one of them multiclassed?

What the hell am I saying?

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-04-03, 10:49 PM
Maybe one of them multiclassed?

What the hell am I saying?

Really, why would they have even ONE level in bard, let alone the ten necessary to cast that?

V may be an Epic Whatsit now, but that doesn't mean heorshe has any bardic powers.

X2
2009-04-03, 10:52 PM
Really, why would they have even ONE level in bard, let alone the ten necessary to cast that?

V may be an Epic Whatsit now, but that doesn't mean heorshe has any bardic powers.

See also: What the hell am I saying?

zero
2009-04-03, 11:32 PM

His point (I'm guessing) is that V can replicate an ARCANE spell using a wish and heal the kids without violating the agreement.

Also yeah, Polymorph does a bit of healing... not much though (equivalent to a night of rest).

Finally, as someone already pointed, there are a few summons that can do the trick.

At this level, V doesn't really need to replicate Divine magic in order to heal.

NerfTW
2009-04-04, 01:36 PM
Polymorph any object could help. He'd just have to change his children into identical copies of themselves but with non-broken legs. Since the creature they are turning into is both of equal intelligence, is a similar creature, and there is only a cosmetic change the spell should be permanent.

The kids would still be injured [missing hit points] but they would be capable of walking the next day, assuming they are at 0 HP now.

So V is just being callous.

That would be a pointless waste of a spell slot, since the effects of any spells end once the soul splice ends. They'd still have to go to a healer to get their legs fixed, and hope in the meantime that the splice doesn't end while they're walking up a flight of stairs.

They're stable (remember, that was the first question V asked), so the most expedient course of action would be to leave them to get to a healer on their own. And given V's allies such as his/her mentor, there's probably an emergency sending scroll in the house.

adam_antio
2009-04-04, 02:40 PM
I think I do not want to reply to people who doesn't know 3.5 rules, but I repeat what I said just to be clear for everyone.

1) cure critical wounds is also an arcane spell, from the bard spell list
Do you understand? I repeat it again: CCW is an ARCANE spell, from the Bard spell list. Ok?

2) thw Wish spell allows every wizard to duplicate any spell, even those that are not in the wizard's spell list, included the CCW already mentioned above

I cannot be sure you understand this, so I repeat it again: Wish allows the wizard to duplicate any spell from any class, with some restrictions about spell level, but any wizard can duplicate CCW (an arcane 4th level bard spell) without problems and without the influence of divine magic or gods.

3) if V could not cast CCW for who-knows-why, the spell Wish allows any wizard to full heal a number of allies equal to his caster level, without the intervention of divine magic, without duplicate any spell.

So, for the third time: the text I quoted is from the Wish spell's description, and it says that the wizard can heal his allies by using nothing but his own arcane power.

Ok? I had been clear this time? Do you understand that nothing of what I said goes against the restrictions imposed by the soul splice? Do you understand that a wizard CAN cast bard spells using wish, that CCW is also an arcane spell from the bard's spell list, and that, anyway, Wish, a 100% arcane spell, allows to heal the wizard's allies?

Silverraptor
2009-04-04, 11:43 PM
What a cleric says, "I cast cure *something* wounds at *subject here*".

What a wizard says, "I cast magic missile at the darkness."

Sholos
2009-04-05, 01:20 AM
Well, there's no reason to assume V had Wish prepared.

adam_antio
2009-04-05, 11:28 PM
Well, there's no reason to assume V had Wish prepared.
But the sorcerer in the soul splice probably knows it, so V can use it when he wants. Anyway, even if V has prepared Wish and/or the sorcerer knows it, probably he did not waste a 9th level spell and the casting time for heal his sons: they are not in mortal danger...

Cúchulainn
2009-04-22, 04:28 PM
I am now performing my greatest act of thread necromancy so I don't have to create another thread...

647, 5th panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0647.html) confirms V could use 'restorative conjuration', so he could have (presumably, if not partially) healed his family.

Berserk Monk
2009-04-22, 04:33 PM
His/her wife is a baker. S()he can just make them new legs and these will be better because they'll be made of candy cane.

Dagren
2009-04-22, 04:47 PM
647, 5th panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0647.html) confirms V could use 'restorative conjuration', so he could have (presumably, if not partially) healed his family.See, I read that as meaning V needs healing, not that V was volunteering to cast said healing. "Restorative Conjuration" seems likely to just be a fancy way of saying so.

japandy42
2009-04-22, 05:15 PM
I think I do not want to reply to people who doesn't know 3.5 rules, but I repeat what I said just to be clear for everyone.

1) cure critical wounds is also an arcane spell, from the bard spell list
Do you understand? I repeat it again: CCW is an ARCANE spell, from the Bard spell list. Ok?

2) thw Wish spell allows every wizard to duplicate any spell, even those that are not in the wizard's spell list, included the CCW already mentioned above

I cannot be sure you understand this, so I repeat it again: Wish allows the wizard to duplicate any spell from any class, with some restrictions about spell level, but any wizard can duplicate CCW (an arcane 4th level bard spell) without problems and without the influence of divine magic or gods.

3) if V could not cast CCW for who-knows-why, the spell Wish allows any wizard to full heal a number of allies equal to his caster level, without the intervention of divine magic, without duplicate any spell.

So, for the third time: the text I quoted is from the Wish spell's description, and it says that the wizard can heal his allies by using nothing but his own arcane power.

Ok? I had been clear this time? Do you understand that nothing of what I said goes against the restrictions imposed by the soul splice? Do you understand that a wizard CAN cast bard spells using wish, that CCW is also an arcane spell from the bard's spell list, and that, anyway, Wish, a 100% arcane spell, allows to heal the wizard's allies?

Okay, next time you want to be a jerk about something, at least be right.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html

As everyone that you're disagreeing with already knew, the fiends explicitly ruled out Wish in panel 1. If you aren't convinced by direct textual evidence, then I really don't know how to help you with this one.

Cúchulainn
2009-04-22, 05:28 PM
See, I read that as meaning V needs healing, not that V was volunteering to cast said healing. "Restorative Conjuration" seems likely to just be a fancy way of saying so.

Hmm, interesting. I suppose I jumped the gun a bit here, because I tend to go back and read the last comic, then the current one, instead of as-they-come, so I assumed V was still eager to use his magic to be useful. Now that I read it again you may be right.

Klev
2009-04-22, 10:39 PM
Okay, next time you want to be a jerk about something, at least be right.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html

As everyone that you're disagreeing with already knew, the fiends explicitly ruled out Wish in panel 1. If you aren't convinced by direct textual evidence, then I really don't know how to help you with this one.

Actually he is correct, the fiends said that V can't replicate any divine magic but Adam's point is that you can cast this spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cureCriticalWounds.htm) as arcane (Bard 4) not divine.

What the heck in fact that comic only proves that spliced V probably has Wish/Limited Wish or the Fiends wouldn't go all the way to explain about that rule.