PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Solo]Can Someone Help Me Make This Work -The Handkerchief

wykydtron
2009-04-02, 11:41 PM
I have an idea for this character I want to run. I got the name from a kids show, but yah so I was thinking, maxed use rope skills, a bag of holding with a rediculous ammount of hankies in it and he uses them whenever possible. Climbing out of windows, improvised slings, and all that. I was wondering if there is anything I NEED for this build?

Also I was thinking human rogue. But maybe a halfling or gnome? For the small size and need a dex bonus. This is for a funny campaign with me and some friends, it's also kind of an inside joke.

Any help with feats, races or items(how to get an unlimited amount of bandanas) would be great. As for the feats, I want to have a roughly equal mix of roleplaying and combat. I was thinking, either Skill Focus(Use Rope) or Craft (Linen Fabrics?).

Also I was looking for help for the first few levels.

Edit: So, I just found this, and as I can make it look like anything (bandana/handkercheif) I think it's neccessary to get. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Hat_of_Disguise

Thanks for reading! Keep on killing and lootin'. :smallwink:

wykydtron
2009-04-03, 01:12 AM
Also would I be able to put a Bag of Holding into Heward's Handy Haversack (DMG 260)? Because if so then I could keep a rediculous ammount of bandanas in my back pack and then never have to waste time finding it.

Edit: I'm also thinking I need a portable hole disguised as a handkercheif.

Draig
2009-04-03, 01:32 AM
So basically your character will be a disguise wearing kerchief weilder?

lol i think you just gave me an idea for an awesome reoccuring villian in my campaign.

Um i dunno what could help you with this. I mean are you gonna have so many feet of them tied together in the bag of holding to use as rope and a few set to be used as weapons and whatnot? Because if not then it might falter a clever escape when you need to take so many rounds tying a hundred handkerchiefs together to make a rope.

lol also is it just having a handkerchief out that you want or what? cause you could have a character with his entire outfit made out of nothing but a bunch of tied together kerchiefs.

wykydtron
2009-04-03, 01:39 AM
Oh no, sorry. He's going to be pretty much a regular rogue. Disabling Traps, Picking Pockets, Sneack Attacking, and all of that. But I want a handkercheif theme about him. What do you guys think would help make this idea work?

Draig
2009-04-03, 01:43 AM
Maybe you can Mcguiver crafty items and such to help you disable traps out of handkerchiefs.

jcsw
2009-04-03, 01:54 AM
I believe the seven veils in Magic Item Compendium look very much like handkerchiefs.

wykydtron
2009-04-03, 02:15 AM
I'll have to look into those.^^^
But yeah for those who haven't seen the show Fairly Oddparents there was a one-time villain who called himself "The Handkercheif". Also I usualy have half a dozen bandanas on me, because they are suprisingly useful (for making hats, socks, blow you nose, wipe things off, etc.) and so I thought my dm might rather enjoy this. I also kind of wanted this character to always have one more trick up his sleeve and what not so I've been looking into magic items and so far I've come up with this:

Robe of Bones (Reflavoured to have the shapes be made out of bandanas) DMG 249
Bag of Holding (:Haley: You can never have too many!) DMG 260
Heward's Handy Haversack (Help keep otherwise extraneous objects from getting in the way) DMG 265
Hat of Disguise (As soon as I read it could disguise itself as pretty much anything I knew I had to have it:smallbiggrin:) DMG 259
Portable Hole (Can be folded up and disguised as a hanky) DMG 265
Golembane Scarab (Who doesn't need one of these?) DMG 267

If you guys can think of any other items I should have or have any ideas for somehow keeping up an infinite amount of handkercheifs or whether or not it would worth it too take some feats like Skill Focus (Use Rope) or Deft Hands. I'll work on solidifying my character and what not and try to post it tommorow.

Farlion
2009-04-03, 03:17 AM
All that comes in mind to me is:

GM: "The guard saw you, hes running towards you"
Hankie: "Ok, I stuff everything into my bag of holding, I'm in a hurry"
GM: "Everything?"
Hankie: "Yeah, everything!"
GM: "Suddenly, your not in such a hurry anymore. Everything is white around you, you feel light"

NEVER EVER STUFF A PORTABLE HOLE INTO A BAG OF HOLDING!

We all learn by errors =)

Cheers,
Farlion

hewhosaysfish
2009-04-03, 07:05 AM
I beleive there's a Wu Jen spell (CArc) called Decapitating Scarf. :smalleek:
You could get a magic hankie that does that.

Darth Stabber
2009-04-03, 08:50 AM
I can't verify the name, but I can verify that there is a handkerchief attackspell for Wujen in CArcane. I think, in fact, that there is more than one for them. So yes, a magic assault hankie has precedent, So a wondrous Item or wand of hankie launching could be the WIN.

wykydtron
2009-04-03, 10:26 AM
I can't verify the name, but I can verify that there is a handkerchief attackspell for Wujen in CArcane. I think, in fact, that there is more than one for them. So yes, a magic assault hankie has precedent, So a wondrous Item or wand of hankie launching could be the WIN.

Hahaha I need to find that spell! Thanks guys, also I'm thinking of mazing out Use Rope and then taking the Deft Hands feat. Then trying to convince my dm to house rule it so that I can make substitute a Use Rope check for a Craft (Handkercheif Pants[You might laugh but they are very comfortable :smallwink:]). I think that would go a long way towards creating a hanky-macgeuiver.

Also @Farlion: That made my laugh out loud. I'll have to try to avoid that.

Tyrmatt
2009-04-03, 02:09 PM
Since you're obviously a fan of cartoons, look up some of the Shen Gong Wu from Xiaolin Showdown. There was a nice scarf thing that had an animated clawed hand on it.

Telonius
2009-04-03, 03:24 PM
There's a "Spool of Endless Rope" in Complete Adventurer. (Not precisely endless, since it only has 500 ft worth in it). You could re-flavor it into a "Spool of Endless Handkerchiefs."

AmberVael
2009-04-03, 03:58 PM
One way or another, you should get the Insightful Strike set of maneuvers from Tome of Battle and then work on improving your Concentration skill.

Why?
Insightful strike deals damage equal to your concentration check. It replaces any damage normally dealt by a weapon. This means you can do crazy amounts of damage by smacking someone with a handkerchief. :smalltongue:

TheThan
2009-04-03, 04:01 PM
Those scarf spells are:

Decapitating scarf
7th level (metal)
Wu Jen
Complete arcane page 102

Entangling scarf
2nd level (metal)
Wu Jen
Complete arcane page 105

Iron scarf
1st level (metal)
Wu Jen
Complete arcane page 112

hope that helps

wykydtron
2009-04-03, 07:05 PM
@Telonius: I like that idea, I mean I guess they could be tied together handkercheifs or something. Thanks.
@Vael:Does insightful strike replace the damage roll all together? Or just the strength modifier?
@TheTan: Thanks for spells, man. I looked them up but got reather dissapointed when I saw that decappitating scarf was a 7th level spell. I didn't see the others though, I like the sound of metal scarf. Hmm, *schemes*.

Also any ideas as far as a build would go? I was thinking like a halfling, or maybe a gnome? I envisioned the character as sort of a trickster, and I want the extra +1 to ac. and attack because I'm going to be investing feats and such more for rp purposes. Also any ideas as far as grappling?

And last night I decided I need to have him build a bandana golem of sorts. I can't find the rules for building golems (aside from the specific ones in the mm). I was thinking of building off of a rope golem and reflavouring it.

And lastly, how does this sound?

1st: Rogue
2nd: Rogue
3rd: Wizard
4th: Wizard
5th: Wizard
6th: Wizard
7th: Wizard
8th-20th: Rogue

Edit: I have decided I want more magic and that going wizard would help me with this build more than fighter. I was thinking of stopping at 5 levels because then I could start building bandana golems. :smallwink:

Edit2: I'm looking at CA and there are plenty of spells that repair damage to constructs. I'm think that this would go along way to helping with a golem idea.

ericgrau
2009-04-04, 12:57 PM
I'd get a handy haversack b/c that way any item you want is on top right where you need it. And b/c handkerchiefs don't way that much, so you could still hold a lot.

I don't think you can put any extra-dimensional space into any other. So while the rules don't give a specific result, you can't put a bag of holding into a handy haversack. And remember the bags of holding are the size of large sacks with nice wide mouths. I'd carry them slung across your shoulder and use them for tons of applications other than carrying items.

I was only able to find two cloth-based magic items, other than cloaks: marvelous pigments (create any mundane item - even food and gear - by painting it on canvas) and shrouds of disintegration (cremate a body so it's harder to resurrect). It might still fit with your character to have a wide variety of random wondrous items in his pack. You'll probably want to look at the "minor wondrous items" table to find the cheap ones. For example, taking out a feather, covering it with a handkerchief and turning it into a messenger bird could be cool.

Other uses:

Handkerchiefs tied up and full of flour could be used as reveal invisibility bombs. Add 20 to the spot or listen DC (usually 0, unless he's sneaking) to pinpoint an invisible creature's square. Or if the creature attacks or casts or does something else noisy it automatically reveals his location (square), as long as he doesn't move again afterwards. Even if you pick the right square you still have a 50% miss chance, but if it hits he's covered in flour and visible. If it misses and he walks over it you still get foot prints.

A grappling hook tied to handkerchiefs could be thrown up to 50 feet while a line of multi-colored hankies fly out of the handy haversack. Pump your use rope skill.

Put a 1 copper piece cloth sack over every suspicious statue you see. Anything animated will at least have to spend an action removing it.

Ask if you can take exotic weapon proficiency (net) to use balled up sheets like nets. Mechanically equivalent, just flavored different. It'll be helpful to have a good strength score if you want to use the rope on the end. Even if you don't, entangling other creatures - especially casters - is still nice. It gives -4 dex and casting requires a concentration check DC 15 + spell level or the spell is lost.

AmberVael
2009-04-04, 01:26 PM
@Vael:Does insightful strike replace the damage roll all together? Or just the strength modifier?
It replaces everything relating to damage. The only damage you deal comes from that concentration check.
Meaning a tiny sized kobold poking someone with a finger and a huge hulking titan with a greataxe would deal the same amount of damage if they had the same concentration check.

SydneyLosstarot
2009-04-04, 01:38 PM
while the rules don't give a specific result, you can't put a bag of holding into a handy haversack.
Oh they surely do:

If a bag of holding is placed within a portable hole, a rift to the Astral Plane is torn in that place. Both the bag and the cloth are sucked into the void and forever lost. If a portable hole is placed within a bag of holding, it opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The hole, the bag, and any creatures within a 10-foot radius are drawn there, the portable hole and bag of holding being destroyed in the process.

AmberVael
2009-04-04, 01:43 PM
Oh they surely do:

Erm, no they don't.
That's the rules for Portable Hole and Bag of Holding. Ericgrau was talking about Bag of Holding and Handy Haversack. Bag of Holding and Portable holes have specific rules in terms of interacting, and while a Handy Haversack is in the same book, no rules are given in terms of interacting with other such items.

The conclusion I would draw from this is that Portable Holes/Bags of holding can interact with a Handy Haversack just fine.

arguskos
2009-04-04, 01:48 PM
Erm, no they don't.
That's the rules for Portable Hole and Bag of Holding. Ericgrau was talking about Bag of Holding and Handy Haversack. Bag of Holding and Portable holes have specific rules in terms of interacting, and while a Handy Haversack is in the same book, no rules are given in terms of interacting with other such items.

The conclusion I would draw from this is that Portable Holes/Bags of holding can interact with a Handy Haversack just fine.
Notably, the rules for the Haversack say it works just like a Bag of Holding, meaning it may explode as bags do when nested. RAW, perhaps it's fuzzy. RAI, I'd bet good money it's meant to explode and do horrible things. :smallwink: Just my 2cp.

Deth Muncher
2009-04-04, 01:53 PM
I swear, if they didn't cost so much, I would say you should keep spare Bags of Holding, Handy Haversacks and Portable Holes on you specifically for the purpose of combining for hazardous results. Assuming you had a Contingent Dimension Door set to trigger when you did it so as not to be consumed.

AmberVael
2009-04-04, 02:18 PM
Notably, the rules for the Haversack say it works just like a Bag of Holding, meaning it may explode as bags do when nested. RAW, perhaps it's fuzzy. RAI, I'd bet good money it's meant to explode and do horrible things. :smallwink: Just my 2cp.

Bags are not stated to explode when nested- Bags of Holding interact poorly only with portable holes. :smallsigh:

Granted, a Haversack may interact badly with a Portable Hole (since a Haversack is mentioned to be so similar to a bag of holding) but Bags + Haversacks aren't mentioned to have poor effects.

ericgrau
2009-04-04, 02:18 PM
the rope trick spell specifically says that putting interdimensional spaces into each other is dangerous. We don't have specific results given, but something similar to the bag of holding and portable hole is likely.

wykydtron
2009-04-05, 07:28 PM
@Ericgrau: Dude, all of those ideas are awesome. Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

Also the campaign is going to be using gestalt classes. So I was thinking Rogue/Wizard would be my best option. And then using the bonus feats from wizard for crafting feats as it would be a solo campaign (maybe me and another person).

Also I was thinking that I would be able to get some of the handkercheifs enchanted maybe? I was thinking about the joker always having one last trick up his sleeve and thinking I could get a vest of escape and then keep the hankies in the vest like you would do with a suit. Also one of them (maybe more:smallwink:) would have to be portable holes to throw down behind me when I need a quick escape through a dark alley or something.

Edit: Just found the "Well of Many Worlds". Just like a portable hole but much more epic. :smallbiggrin: