PDA

View Full Version : Does this game have an official name

Berserk Monk
2009-04-03, 01:27 AM
Reading Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes a few months back, there was something I noticed: while in Hell, Dream won back his helmet by beating a demon at a game. The game was one where you named something (organism, object, scientific phenomena, or, well anything really), then the opponent would name something that could defeat/counter your input, and go back and forth as such until one person couldn't respond fast enough or counter the last thing.

I had seen this concept in a few other works so I'm wondering if it has a formal name or what. They was one scene in Little Nicky (god, I can't believe I'm actually admitting I saw that film) where Adam Sandler's character and brother played a similar game except they used magic to physically create something. Also, in the Disney film The Sword in the Stone, Merlin and Mim likewise compete by turning themselves into creature in a sort of duel (in the movie, it was called a "Wizard's Duel," not sure if that's the actual name, or just one thought up by Disney).

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Starscream
2009-04-03, 04:00 AM
TvTropes actually calls it a Wizards Duel (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WizardDuel), so I guess there isn't a better name floating around for it.

My favorite example is from the Discworld novel Equal Rites where Granny Weatherwax duels to Archchancellor of Unseen University toa standstill via this method.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-04-03, 04:45 AM
Also, in the Disney film The Sword in the Stone

...You know it was a book, first, right?

bosssmiley
2009-04-03, 04:52 AM
The game was one where you named something (organism, object, scientific phenomena, or, well anything really), then the opponent would name something that could defeat/counter your input, and go back and forth as such until one person couldn't respond fast enough or counter the last thing.

We in the UK know that as "Mallet's Mallet". :smallwink:

Haven
2009-04-03, 06:08 AM
TvTropes actually calls it a Wizards Duel (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WizardDuel), so I guess there isn't a better name floating around for it.

My favorite example is from the Discworld novel Equal Rites where Granny Weatherwax duels to Archchancellor of Unseen University toa standstill via this method.

Actually the TVTropes version is Shapeshifter Showdown (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShapeShifterShowdown). But I've usually heard it referred to as a Wizard's Duel, so that's the closest you'll get.

Also: I read this topic as "Does the game have an official name", and consequently lost. :(

Icewalker
2009-04-03, 11:23 PM
The term me and my friends use for it in our group is The Oldest Game. I love that.

Should set up an SMBG thread for it. That would be awesome.

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-03, 11:27 PM
...You know it was a book, first, right?

Surely the Wizard's Duel in the book didn't play out like the one in the movie? I haven't read it, but it can't have been as childish as that.

Icewalker
2009-04-03, 11:31 PM
Ok, I just put up a thread for it in SMBG.

The Oldest Game (Wizard's Duel) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108496)

Berserk Monk
2009-04-03, 11:32 PM
The term me and my friends use for it in our group is The Oldest Game. I love that.

Should set up an SMBG thread for it. That would be awesome.

Well, I don't know what SMBG stands for (Strong Mad's Big Gun??), but the reason I wanted to know what the game was called is because I wanted to play it in roleplaying games like D&D and maybe start a thread for it on the forums. Anyone interested?

Sneak
2009-04-03, 11:36 PM
Silly Message Board Games. It's another section of the forum, like Friendly Banter (FB).

Also, I just lost the game.

Starscream
2009-04-04, 12:56 AM
Surely the Wizard's Duel in the book didn't play out like the one in the movie? I haven't read it, but it can't have been as childish as that.

It wasn't, although it did occur. Later revisions of the book cut that scene out, although most modern versions leave it it.

The main difference (if I recall, it has been a long time) is that the germ Merlin turns into actually kills Mim in the book. This was obviously too dark for the movie and she just gets sick and needs lots of sunshine.

Tensu
2009-04-05, 09:53 PM
Seems like an easy game to win if you allowed someone to pick anything...

and I lost the game too. you jerk.