PDA

View Full Version : another martial arts thread!

reorith
2009-04-03, 01:35 PM
tomorrow afternoon, i'm testing for the next level of Krav Maga so i figured this would be an appropriate topic. sooo.... ladies and gentlemen of playground, do any of you participate in any sort of martial arts training? for what reason? fitness? self defense? sport?

bonus points if it is really obscure.
double bonus points if it is from some where outside of asia.
triple bonus points if you're learning to master some archaic weapon.

Fredthefighter
2009-04-03, 01:37 PM
I've been training in Shotokan style Karate for 5 years. I'm currently a 1st Dan.
In the beginning I trained to build my confidence, which it has done, then it became self defence and now it's that and excercise.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-03, 02:03 PM
Any recommended martial art for somebody say with a build of around 5'2 and 60 kilos?

Spiryt
2009-04-03, 02:25 PM
Any recommended martial art for somebody say with a build of around 5'2 and 60 kilos?

Not that I really know much about it, but from such scant info I would say : the one you will like the best :smallamused:

But generally you might like some grappling one - striking favors height and weight more.

Fredthefighter
2009-04-03, 02:28 PM

Dallas, that was creepy. You just described my height exactly and pretty much my weight. Are you sure you aren't a clone of me?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-03, 02:30 PM
Nope, for I have crazy curly hair and look older. Also I look like a junkie.
You rather look like a innocent 12 year old with a neat short trimmed haircut.

reorith
2009-04-03, 02:32 PM

i'm 157cm and weigh 102lbs and i'd recommend judo and krav maga because they are what i've done and i approve.

itt: dallas dakota clone troopers.

GoC
2009-04-03, 02:35 PM
i'm 157cm and weigh 102lbs

Aww.:smallbiggrin:
You're tiny! ^_^

Fredthefighter
2009-04-03, 02:40 PM
Nope, for I have crazy curly hair and look older. Also I look like a junkie.
You rather look like a innocent 12 year old with a neat short trimmed haircut.

Yep. That's me in a nutshell. I do have a mustache in training though. :smalltongue:

Copacetic
2009-04-03, 04:27 PM
Yep. That's me in a nutshell. I do have a mustache in training though. :smalltongue:

Now for the rest of the day I will be thinking about mustache boot camp.

Fredthefighter
2009-04-03, 04:28 PM
Now for the rest of the day I will be thinking about mustache boot camp.

The butterfly is onto us. The butterfly must be eliminated. :smalltongue:

Berserk Monk
2009-04-03, 04:57 PM
I'm currently a 1st Dan.

Dude, awesome. I know a guy named Dan, but he's nowhere close to being first place Dan. Any pointers for improving his Dan-ness.

Moving on from dumbass statements, I have two strategies for self-defense: run. Run faster than them and hope they don't have a gun. How can they harm you if they can't touch you?

Method two: chainmail. Yes I'm serious. I wear it, not a full suit, but mini bracers I wear to protect my wrists and half my forearm. Very protective. Knife proof, also quite good against bludgeoning weapons. Not that heavy either (1-2 lbs I estimate). Also, you smack someone against the head with your wrist wearing one of these, they'll feel it.

Fredthefighter
2009-04-03, 04:59 PM
Dude, awesome. I know a guy named Dan, but he's nowhere close to being first place Dan. Any pointers for improving his Dan-ness.

Moving on from dumbass statements, I have two strategies for self-defense: run. Run faster than them and hope they don't have a gun. How can they harm you if they can't touch you?

Method two: chainmail. Yes I'm serious. I wear it, not a full suit, but mini bracers I wear to protect my wrists and half my forearm. Very protective. Knife proof, also quite good against bludgeoning weapons. Not that heavy either (1-2 lbs I estimate). Also, you smack someone against the head with your wrist wearing one of these, they'll feel it.

The funny thing is, I'm a 1st Dan called Daniel.
Yep, Dan is a 1st Dan.
He should concentrate on basics first, e.g. stances, technique. Then he should just focus on learning katas whenever he can.

Dragonrider
2009-04-03, 05:44 PM
I do Shudokan (NOT the same as Shotokan) karate and am currently a sho dan. I'll be testing for ni dan sometime this summer.... :smallbiggrin:

Lupy
2009-04-03, 05:48 PM
I'm an Intrepid in Ubun-too. It focuses on finger strength and adaptability.

:smalltongue:

In all seriousness, I've never done a marshal art, but my friend is a black belt in taekwondo.

Anuan
2009-04-03, 07:00 PM

Judo, Aikido, Wing Chun.
If you can throw in some Capoeira for agility and general fitness training, go for it. Can be hard to find a place that will teach you Capoeira for actual self-defense, but good lord it's harder to find something that's better for you fitness-wise.

SurlySeraph
2009-04-03, 09:29 PM
I did about a year of taekwondo, and 6 years of American homestyle wrestling in school.
I'm planning to start at a school in my city soon, though. It's got classes in Jeet Kune Do, Kali (Phillipine stick/knife fighting, which I'm very interested in studying), Muay Thai, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I think I'll get a lot out of it.

Icewalker
2009-04-03, 11:21 PM
Krav Maga, nice, that's one of my favorite martial arts. Nice to be really capable of defending yourself.

I can't say for myself that I am. I took a few years of Tae Kwon Do, which suuucked, because my teacher was mediocre and best. I fence now instead.

Anuan
2009-04-03, 11:47 PM
TKD has sort of devolved into being more sports and fitness orientated, it's hard to find people who'll teach you to apply it in self-defense properly. Krav Maga is good. I'd like to learn fencing...
Le Canne would be cool, too. French stick-fighting.

Jalor
2009-04-04, 06:53 AM

Jujitsu. If you can find a place that does it, go for traditional Japanese rather than Brazilian. There are techniques specifically for disarming big muscular people, and at higher experience levels you have the option of learning to use a katana.

Liffguard
2009-04-04, 06:54 AM
Boxing and Brazilian Jiujitsu. Mainly for fitness, competition and fun.

They help with self-defense, but for me self-defense is more about situational awareness and de-escalation. It's very very rare to just get attacked out of nowhere where I live so self-defense comes down to not getting into confrontational situations in the first place.

If you can find a place that does it, go for traditional Japanese rather than Brazilian. There are techniques specifically for disarming big muscular people

Obviously I'm biased, and I don't want to sound too argumentative, but I'd seriously dispute this. My advice for choosing a school is that individual techniques are far less important than overall training methodology. If the school regularly engages in full-resistance sparring then that's a point in its favour and it's probably a good school. If it doesn't then it's not. Just because a style includes certain techniques doesn't necessarily mean those techniques are being effectively trained.

endoperez
2009-04-04, 07:00 AM
I did a korean kick-sport for a while, but couldn't practice for a while and then lost interest. I got my interest towards martial arts back after watching Avatar, the cartoon. :smallredface: It took me about a year to go from "funny, tai chi as a martial art" to "funny, tai chi was once a martial art" to "are they serious about tai chi being a martial art" to attending a week-long practical tai chi course, but boy was it worth it!

During that one-week tai chi course, I learned more about fighting than in the two years of sports-kicking I used to do. As an example, I used to think I could kick ass if I ever got into a fight. I have never fought. Now I realize that if you haven't fought, you can't fight, whatever you've done before. I believe a krav maga course would have had a similar effect, so congrats to the OP.

The kick-sports thing was still really great for my health and my confidence. I just think it's good to keep it in mind that twice a week in a dojo is no match for some thug who spends 30 days a month on the street.

On another note, I've been meaning to write these martial art one-liners, and this is as good a place as any. I'd appreciate it if you could add similar lines about whatever it is you either practice, or know about.

Aikido - the art of hitting the ground with your opponent
Bagua - the art of walking circles through your opponent
Boxing - a binary system based on left and right
Capoiera - the art of dancing to the beating
judo/wrestling - the art of starting a fight on the ground
Kalari - the Indian martial yoga
MMA - the art of taking all fights to the ground
Tai chi - the art!

Liffguard
2009-04-04, 07:03 AM
MMA - the art of taking all fights to the ground

Uh, what? You do you realise that groundfighting represents only one of three applicable MMA ranges of fighting?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-04, 07:33 AM
Kendo - The art of the sword.

Not that I practice it.

Soo I'l be checking out if there's any place for jiujitsu or Krav maga or both if I have the time. But I think it'l be more usefull to just start with one.

Renegade Paladin
2009-04-04, 09:13 AM
I study Western martial arts, armed and unarmed, with emphasis on rapier and to a lesser extent late-period German longsword. Unarmed is much less fun, but since German longsword fencing is derived from German unarmed combat styles (it's essentially wrestling with swords, though of course things tend to end well before the grappling-on-the-floor stage) I am passable in Renaissance-era German wrestling as well.

endoperez
2009-04-04, 09:50 AM
Uh, what? You do you realise that groundfighting represents only one of three applicable MMA ranges of fighting?

The mixed martial arts enthusiasts I've noticed keep repeating "but your style doesn't work when a jujitsu guy takes you to ground". It didn't come across well, or perhaps it's only typical to that one forum.

So, what are the other two ranges? Fist/feet and knee/elbow, or punching and grappling?

Liffguard
2009-04-04, 11:52 AM
So, what are the other two ranges? Fist/feet and knee/elbow, or punching and grappling?

1) Free-striking. i.e. neither opponent has control of the other and are free to move around, attack and defend as they wish. Boxing, kickboxing etc.
2) Clinch. i.e. opponents are on their feet but at least one is grabbing the other. Either used as a set-up for takedowns to put your opponent on the ground or as a set-up for strikes, especially knees and elbows. Greco-roman wrestling, muay thai etc.

Anuan
2009-04-04, 07:42 PM
Indeed.
Also, the whole 'your style doesn't work when you get taken down' is one of the most arrogant claims ever. You need to be good enough to get the person down, first.

Personally, I did TKD as a kid, got to yellow-belt in Go Kan Ryu Karate (does not exactly have an emphasis on actual self-defense >.>) before having to drop due to school and money problems. Am sort of self-trained not in any particular style but incorporating, as best as I can, any techniques or ideals from various styles that I can get detailed instructions for through books or training videos. Nowhere near as good as actual instruction, but it's definitely improved me a lot. I can handle myself.

After the road-trip next year, I'm going to be going to the Acadamy of Wing Chun and getting Certificates II, III, IV and maybe even a Degree in Sports Coaching, which will basically get me a hell of a lot of training and the legal capability to open my own martial arts school. I intend to do that and invite teachers from other styles (most likely aikido, muay thai, jiu jitsu and capoeira) to come teach at the same place. During that I intend to learn Aikido and Capoeira at least :smallbiggrin:

Canadian
2009-04-04, 10:16 PM
Zen archery.

Jack Squat
2009-04-04, 10:26 PM
I took six years of Tae Kwon Do (not the sport version, it was kinda blended with a self defense mindset), but I learned to fight in Catholic school.

I'm really rusty, but I do manage to beat my friend who's a black belt in Ishin Ryu. I think that says something about one of us (not sure which) :smalltongue:

skywalker
2009-04-05, 05:14 AM
1) Free-striking. i.e. neither opponent has control of the other and are free to move around, attack and defend as they wish. Boxing, kickboxing etc.
2) Clinch. i.e. opponents are on their feet but at least one is grabbing the other. Either used as a set-up for takedowns to put your opponent on the ground or as a set-up for strikes, especially knees and elbows. Greco-roman wrestling, muay thai etc.

Free-striking - What a good wrestler/groundfighter will never allow a striker to do.

Clinch - That very short period of time between the start of the fight and when the striker's back hits the ground.

I know, I know, but it is still funny. Having watched a ton of MMA (and practiced a bit) groundfighting is a huge part of it. That's just how it is. If you ask people who fight for a living, or even just a lot, fighting is something that winds up on the ground. I looked up the stats the last time we discussed this. I'm too lazy to do it again. But I think it's a safe assumption to say that the cream in MMA are groundfighters, always have been, and always will be. The Lesnar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Lesnar) fad will end, just as the fads before him ended as well, at the hands of a supreme grappler. Lesnar may be a little tougher to put a stop to, because of his size and his wrestling background, but I'm confident a younger version of Randy Couture will end him some day.

Endo is also forgiven because of the wisdom surrounding the "Tai Chi" portion of his post. If you haven't fought before, it doesn't matter. Very, very true, and something a lot of people forget.

I think grappling arts, in general, tend to be more realistic in their training and expectations, but it really tends to be a get-what-you-give type of situation, in most cases. I trained a Korean MA (NOT TKD) for 9 years. We never once studied grappling but when I went to a BJJ school, I was much more intuitive at the techniques than other beginners, despite them being quite different from my previous experience.

I also find it really coincidental that I'm watching DREAM FC right now.

GAThraawn
2009-04-05, 08:30 AM
I've actually just recently started Krav Maga, after reading the OP mention it somewhere else on these forums. So far its a heck of a lot of fun.

GoC
2009-04-05, 01:28 PM
Tai chi - the art!

Just curious: Does Tai Chi actually work? How does it work? Is it true that the better they are, the slower they move?:smalltongue:

I know a few judo moves from a friend and have got a natural instinct for it. Friend thought it would be funny to sucker-punch me: WHAM! On floor.:smallamused:
Guy wants to start a fight and opens up with a high kick: One second and several moves later (I still don't remember how on earth it happened and can't figure out how it's even possible) I'd cracked his back over my knee.:smalleek: I was really scared, for a moment I thought I might have paralized him.:smalleek:

Lycan 01
2009-04-05, 10:31 PM
I got my Blue Belt in Shotakon (I think I spelled it right...) about 2 weeks ago. I'm so proud of myself! ^_^ Its part of my school's Karate 1 elective classes, and the Sensei said if we kept progressing at this pace, most of us should make Orange Belt by the end of the Semester. Next Semester I'll be taking Karate 2, which is held at the local Dojo on Monday nights... I forgot what belt we're supposed to get from that class...

Personally, I'd like to learn Savate. After seeing it on the History Channel, I found myself quite interested in the art of French Street Fighting. But something tells me that finding a school of that in Mississippi - the South of the South, essentially - is nigh impossible. :smallfrown:

I study Western martial arts, armed and unarmed, with emphasis on rapier and to a lesser extent late-period German longsword. Unarmed is much less fun, but since German longsword fencing is derived from German unarmed combat styles (it's essentially wrestling with swords, though of course things tend to end well before the grappling-on-the-floor stage) I am passable in Renaissance-era German wrestling as well.

Where on earth did you find a place that teaches that - and where can I find one, myself? :smallbiggrin:

reorith
2009-04-05, 11:08 PM
Personally, I'd like to learn Savate. After seeing it on the History Channel, I found myself quite interested in the art of French Street Fighting. But something tells me that finding a school of that in Mississippi - the South of the South, essentially - is nigh impossible. :smallfrown:

there is a savate class offered by park&rec eleven minutes from my house. i plan to register so one day i will best you with the skills fate and geography have so brutally denied you! mwahahaha

but no, uhhh.... united states savate federation (http://www.ussavate.org/) might have someone to point you in the right direction.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-05, 11:56 PM
Good news : There's a Krav Maga school a block away.
Bad News : You have to be sixteen or older to sign up. So I just gotta wait a couple of months....

endoperez
2009-04-07, 09:15 AM
Just curious: Does Tai Chi actually work? How does it work? Is it true that the better they are, the slower they move?:smalltongue:

There are good teachers and bad teachers, like with any martial art, but tai chi also has great many teachers who don't know it could be a martial art. One of the good teachers can teach you to fight, but then it's debatable how much is tai chi and how much is teacher. :smalltongue:

As for slow, see for yourself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2co2w288Tho&feature=PlayList&p=D6E72A0B2CCD5C54&index=6). :smallbiggrin: "Grasping swallow's tail" is a movement where your left hand moves to your side over your left leg (or vice versa).

Some movements have sensible names (Step Forward and Punch Down), others don't (Diagonal Flying). When these movements are stringed together, you get form, which is practiced slow. It's exercise, except instead of repeating a single move 100 times you go through a long list of different ones, and instead of speed, you focus on minute control. It takes longer, still makes you sweat, and the lingo makes it easier to practice applications (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RNnb9e-7Y8&feature=PlayList&p=D6E72A0B2CCD5C54&index=8&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL).

Where on earth did you find a place that teaches that - and where can I find one, myself? :smallbiggrin:

There's a pretty cool school in Rome. They have a Youtube channel where they post all kinds of awesome stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ArmeAntica

I mean, umbrellas? :smallbiggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfcwUkb7kWI

Berserk Monk
2009-04-07, 03:09 PM
The funny thing is, I'm a 1st Dan called Daniel.
Yep, Dan is a 1st Dan.
He should concentrate on basics first, e.g. stances, technique. Then he should just focus on learning katas whenever he can.

Now all you need is a warrior friend named Ron who used to serve a feudal lord but was disgraced.

paddyfool
2009-04-08, 06:29 AM
Currently: Recently rejoined a Nam Pai Chuan club (which is mostly Southern style Shaolin) after a few years in a country which didn't have it. I do it for fitness, for fun, for cameraderie, and a little bit for self-defense.

Previously: a little Capoeira, a little Kyokushin Karate, and several years of Judo.

reorith
2009-04-08, 09:59 PM
it turns out i passed the test! o frabjous day! so i celebrated by trolling a fencer :smallbiggrin:

mcv
2009-04-09, 03:48 AM
I'm an Intrepid in Ubun-too.
You're ahead of me, then. I'm still stuck on Heron.

I'm not currently doing any martial art, but I'm planning on starting with medieval European sword fighting Any Day Now.

In the very distant past, I've done Nunchaku-do for a couple of years. Not practical for actual self-defense, but good for speed and coordination. In the only slightly less distant past I've done about a month of Pencak Silat, which is extremely effective for self-defense. Perhaps a bit too effective, even: on my first day, I learned how to pull someone's throat out (never actually practiced that, for obvious reasons). Also learned how to poke someone's eye out or break his arm while they're trying to hit me. I still have the feeling I learned more in that month and in the years of nunchaku-do, but I bet my pencak silat knowledge is just enough to get my into serious trouble, and useless for getting me out of it.

Wakizashi
2009-04-09, 12:14 PM
I'm currently a blue belt in Shotokan Karate, and should pass to purple zoon enough. I got into karate because my mom wanted me to do some exercise, but now martial arts of all sorts are a passion to me. In my school, while we mainly do karate, we've done a few aikido techniques, and some weapons katas with the bokken, the bo, the nunchaku, the sais, the tonfas and then some.

I don't currently live at a big centre, so I'll have trouble trying out other arts, but I plan on moving to somewhere bigger someday and study anything interesting i find. Shouldn't be hard, mind, 'cause anything i haven't done yet interests me.