PDA

View Full Version : Have you bought anything from a webcomic?

cdrcjsn
2009-04-03, 05:36 PM
I'm just wondering what sort of things people have bought from webcomics.

Did you buy them from their online store or at a convention?

What did you buy?

What are the sort of things you look for? Toys? Books? Clothing? Original Art?

Trazoi
2009-04-03, 06:40 PM
I've bought lots of stuff online, mainly books and t-shirts. Not as many as I'd like, but being in Australia the postage is expensive. I tend to wait until I can buy multiple things I want at once.

Typically if I really like a webcomic, I'll show my support by buying the comic in book form. I always buy two copies. I keep one, and give one away as a present. Currently my collection consists of:

Order of the Stick
Girl Genius
Dr McNinja
Narbonic
Basic Instructions
Piled Higher and Deeper (PhD Comics)

Piled Higher and Deeper is the only one I bought direct from the author, because Jorge Cham was doing an Australian tour and visited my university. I'd like to go to a few conventions but most webcomickers are based in the States.

Other than the books, I've bought a bunch of t-shirts from Order of the Stick and Dr McNinja, as well as the Order of the Stick board game.

Edit: Oh, and I also have the Homestar Runner DVDs and a few shirts. It's not a webcomic but it runs on a similar principle.

T-O-E
2009-04-03, 06:58 PM
Never.

Wish I could, though.

Akalabeth
2009-04-03, 07:21 PM
I've bought the first volume of the webcomic Serenity Rose, as it was cheap, and the full comic isn't available online, but never anything else. I've thought about buying from Sinfest, Schlockmercenary, or Girl Genius, but haven't done so yet. Most likely would buy the OOTS books though; more content is always a good motivator.

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-03, 09:38 PM
I've bought Start of Darkness and War & XPs from Rich. I think that's all.
My sister bought a few Dominic Deegan T-shirts at Otakon a few years ago, back when the comic was less sucky.

X2
2009-04-03, 09:40 PM
On the Origin of PCs...

It was worth every penny (except those at a multiple of 12)

Everyone else: *cough cough*

Oh that was comedy GOLD!!

Joro
2009-04-04, 01:10 AM
I've bought the OoTS books, except for War and XPs. Also the three most recent Schlock Mercenary books online, and the Girl Genius omnibus (signed!) at a con.

sun_tzu
2009-04-04, 01:18 AM
I've bought a subscription to Graphic Smash, a subscription to "Fnas Plus" (bonus material and annotations for "Fans"), and the two "OOTS" prequel books.

Occasional Sage
2009-04-04, 01:49 AM
Not yet. I'm VERY interested in Erfworld books, though. I'm not a t-shirt kinda guy for the most part, which wrecks most of the cool paraphernalia. And I'm not interested-enough in a story's back-story to buy content-added books, outside of a couple of rare exceptions. I only buy books I'll read repeatedly though, and I just can't convince myself that I'd reread any webcomic books often enough to justify spending money. Heck, I don't even reread the free archives, for the most part.

chionophile
2009-04-04, 01:50 AM
I have Marten's "TEH" t-shirt from Questionable Content.

Mauve Shirt
2009-04-04, 07:25 AM
OH YEAH I also have a Jaeger badge from Girl Genius. I didn't buy it, my parents bought it for me for a stocking stuffer this Christmas.

Threeshades
2009-04-04, 09:09 AM
I bought On the Origin of PCs and Start of Darkness. Got Dungeon Crawling Fools for free, because they made me wait like a year or so, but it was a really nice compensation and i really appreciated it

Also I bought a Richard figurine from LFG.

That's all so far.

Enlong
2009-04-04, 04:37 PM
I got books -1 through 2 of Order of the Stick two Christmases ago, and I personally bought myself WaXPs in August.
I also have bought three shirts from Dinosaur Comics, and I commisioned a donation command in MSPaint Adventures, which has since gone up.

Kurald Galain
2009-04-04, 05:23 PM
I'm just wondering what sort of things people have bought from webcomics.
Sure. I've never been to a webcomic con, so I buy the stuff online.

I own a number of books from OOTS, Megatokyo and CRFH. I also have the "speak L33t" shirt and L33t scrabble, because it's aw3s0m3.

Sneak
2009-04-04, 06:04 PM
OOTS is the only webcomic I've bought from. On the Origin of the PCs, Start of Darkness, and a shirt, although I got them all as gifts from my parents. But I did tell them that I wanted the books.

I don't wear the shirt very often, but I like to have it.

Fawkes
2009-04-04, 06:51 PM
Things I've bought from webcomics:

Order of the Stick: All the books, Adventure Game
Penny Arcade: First four books
PVP: Several books
Dominic Deegan: One book
Dr. McNinja: What Would Batman Do shirt
VGCats: Boo tshirt
Questionable Content: Pintsize shirt
Remember: Logo shirt

I think that's everything.

Quincunx
2009-04-05, 05:59 AM
Have bought: Long-sleeve tee, OotS.
Would have bought had it not sold out: Backpack, Girl Genius.

Like Occasional Sage, I am not fond of T-shirts.

dogmac
2009-04-05, 06:17 AM
I have a vast quantity of OOTS t-shirts. And a couple of User Friendly, from eons ago. I keep on promising myself a GG coffee cup.

My favourite is the one with belkar's deep seated emotional problems in red. You wear it around Christmas time, and people think he is an elf from a distance. Bwahahahha!!

Sanjay
2009-04-05, 09:00 AM
I got books -1 through 2 of Order of the Stick two Christmases ago, and I personally bought myself WaXPs in August.
I also have bought three shirts from Dinosaur Comics, and I commisioned a donation command in MSPaint Adventures, which has since gone up.

Oooh, which command was yours?

Lissou
2009-04-05, 09:45 AM
What I buy first of all is books. Actually, I have stopped reading some comics because they were not available in print form >.> I dislike reading archives, and see webcomics are pre-publishing on the net until the next book is ready... I follow them online, I buy the books when they come out.

This being said, I own:

All existing OOTS books to this date
All Ozy and Millie books
The first I Drew This book

But I stopped buying all the webcomics I would like to when I lost a revenue >.> So right now I'm only buying the latest oots books. On top of that, I'm also going to move from Europe to Canada and want to wait so a) I can save on shipping and b) I have less stuff to bring along when I move.
The list of what I'd like to buy includes:
Goblins (I plan to buy book 1 and 2 at Vcon)
The Gods of Arr-Kelaan
... and others I can't think of right now :P

Apart from books, I also buy some merchandise if I find it particularly neat or in the few cases where books aren't available. I own:

The oots game
The Goblin Solidarity shirt
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed" (8-bit theatre)

I want to get several of the oots shirts ("sacrificing minions" comes to mind), a Goblins shirt (at Vcon, probably)... And probably more. I see myself buying shirts at cons a lot more than online, though.

I also own an Ozy and Millie commission and "ordered" a Goblins original (and my husband wants a second one), but this hasn't been finalised yet (understand, I haven't paid yet).

My husband also owns the megotokyo books, incidentally.

Jops
2009-04-05, 04:01 PM
I bought the Alpha Shade books. Planning to make a collection of those.
That's pretty much it.

I also bought some pins from ComicGenesis friends the one time i went to UK Webcomic Thing. But those don't really count, i guess.

Haven
2009-04-05, 07:14 PM
I own Origins of PCs, Start of Darkness and an OotS t-shirt.

I would probably have bought something from Girl Genius at NYCC if Kaja Foglio had been there.

Enlong
2009-04-05, 08:14 PM
Oooh, which command was yours?

"Candy Mecha PI: Become PRESIDENT. Use Candy Mecha to SAVE AMERICA. (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/extras/ps000033.html)"
I think it turned out nicely.

Penquin47
2009-04-05, 10:06 PM
All the OotS books, plus one T-shirt.

Being a physics teacher, I just had to have V's "I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down", right?