PDA

View Full Version : Can V scry for Haley now?

holywhippet
2009-04-03, 05:45 PM
Eugene was able to with the power of the epic level scrying capabilities of the after life. V is now essentially epic level so does he/she have the power to scry for Haley now.

On another note, when Belkar learns of V mass killing black dragons like that - will his approval be the thing that truly convinces V about the depths of his/her sin?

Zevox
2009-04-03, 05:49 PM
Assuming Ganoron or Jephton know some kind of epic scrying spell, yes, she can.

And Belkar may never find out about Familicide. Why would V tell him?

Zevox

Ceilingcat
2009-04-03, 05:54 PM
On another note, when Belkar learns of V mass killing black dragons like that - will his approval be the thing that truly convinces V about the depths of his/her sin?

I think his family's rejection is what will do that.

Aaron
2009-04-03, 05:57 PM
Eugene was able to with the power of the epic level scrying capabilities of the after life. V is now essentially epic level so does he/she have the power to scry for Haley now.

I think V can scry for Haley right now. Since Eugene was able scry on Haley because of the "Epic Inside" power of the upper plains (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0510.html), it stands to reason that V can use the two evil souls epic spells to bypass the Closister (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html) spell Xykon cast by using epic magic.:smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2009-04-04, 02:22 AM
I think V should be able to Scry as well. I doubt s/he would tell Belkar about Familcide due to how s/he would expect Belkar to b proud of him/her, which is something V probably wouldn't want. (Ironically, Belkar would probably pretend to be appauled by iy if he knew.)

Tensu
2009-04-04, 02:27 AM
I think V should be able to Scry as well. I doubt s/he would tell Belkar about Familcide due to how s/he would expect Belkar to b proud of him/her, which is something V probably wouldn't want. (Ironically, Belkar would probably pretend to be appauled by iy if he knew.)

Indeed, after all the hard work V put into getting out of the "lust" column...

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-04-04, 02:36 AM
Indeed, after all the hard work V put into getting out of the "lust" column...

You gotta admit V is looking hot now with the long, wild hair, the flaming red eyes, the fangs, the glow of fell arcane power...Evil and uber-powerful is always damn sexy...Well unless you're a skeleton...And even then some people have the hots for you...

Tempest Fennac
2009-04-04, 02:37 AM
Considering that Belkar also seems to have an "Amusing" catagory (hence Shojo and Mr. Scruffy not coming under Lust or Hate), I'm guessing Belkar would but V in that catagory if he knew the entire story due to his views on family.

X2
2009-04-04, 02:44 AM
Its that troublesome cloister spell getting in the way again isn't it?

Given the details (or lack thereof) the only thing anyone but the Giant can offer is speculation.

But then again copy that last sentence and you can paste it into just about any topic under the Order of the Stick category.

BlueWizard
2009-04-04, 02:46 AM
V's just going to fix everything.

X2
2009-04-04, 02:47 AM
V's just going to fix everything.

Maybe I havent been paying too much attention but what, pray tell, is everything?

Because its that vagueness that made me brand Comic 642 as particularly subpar (though still good).

Wikkin
2009-04-04, 02:49 AM
I thought Divination spells were one of the few things he couldn't do while epic'ed out.

Edit: Yep, #634. First yellow text bubble in the first frame.

Wik

Tempest Fennac
2009-04-04, 02:53 AM
I assumed s/he was refering to taking care of Xykon, finding Haley and bringing Roy back from the dead, with finding Haley probably being V's priority due to how much s/he was obsessed with finding her.

X2
2009-04-04, 02:55 AM
I assumed s/he was refering to taking care of Xykon, finding Haley and bringing Roy back from the dead, with finding Haley probably being V's priority due to how much s/he was obsessed with finding her.

I thought so. I just worried I may have missed something.

Glome
2009-04-04, 03:45 AM
If V finds Haley next, the surprise of Belkar feigning goodness will probably cause him to lose the rest of his soul splices.

Omegonthesane
2009-04-04, 03:58 AM
I thought Divination spells were one of the few things he couldn't do while epic'ed out.

Edit: Yep, #634. First yellow text bubble in the first frame.

Wik

...No, he says DIVINE magic, not DIVINATION magic. It just means V can't cast Cleric or Druid spells while spliced, even if the spells he's using would normally allow him to do so.

Presumably this doesn't cover spells like Scry, which can be done both by arcane and divine means.

Hague
2009-04-04, 11:04 AM
Um... Wouldn't V be able to scry Haley now by herself, without the Soul Splices? I mean, the Cloister spell seems like it would only affect the area around the ruins of Azure City. Since Haley and Belkar are no longer in Azure City Vaarsuvius could simply scry her right away. However, since V believes that she needs to be more powerful to locate her she hasn't really done anything since her last attempt (before Haley left Azure City) If V hadn't taken off when she did, none of this Soul Splice business would have happened and she would have located Haley a few days later.

Lira
2009-04-04, 11:13 AM
Um... Wouldn't V be able to scry Haley now by herself, without the Soul Splices? I mean, the Cloister spell seems like it would only affect the area around the ruins of Azure City.No. The Cloister spell has been explained in the comic and that's not how it works. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html)

Mewtarthio
2009-04-04, 11:15 AM
Nope; the Cloister spell not only blocks the area it's cast on but also sticks to anyone in that area at the time (presumably so that Dorukan could send his servants out to get supplies without worrying about somebody hunting them down and interrogating them).

dps
2009-04-04, 11:44 AM
Nope; the Cloister spell not only blocks the area it's cast on but also sticks to anyone in that area at the time (presumably so that Dorukan could send his servants out to get supplies without worrying about somebody hunting them down and interrogating them).

But the "sticks to anyone in that area" effect wears off after a while; how long it takes to wear off depends on the level of the caster. Unfortunately, we can't say whether it's worn off of Haley & company, because we don't know just how long it's been since they left Azure City, nor do we know Xykon's exact level.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-04-04, 11:55 AM
Don't forget, Old Blind Pete described his basement as being "scry-proof". (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html)

However, since they're not in the basement anymore, all they need to do is wait for the Cloister to wear off (and it can't have more than a few weeks left), and V could scry on them normally.

Janmorel
2009-04-04, 01:09 PM
Maybe I havent been paying too much attention but what, pray tell, is everything?

Because its that vagueness that made me brand Comic 642 as particularly subpar (though still good).

I thought the vagueness was intentional. No matter how many of V's goals are accomplished, there will always be something else that needs to be "fixed" before V lets go of the splice. That's what the fiends are hoping for, and that's at least part of what has Kyrie so upset. Of course, it's still possible that V's going to subvert the whole trope, complete the last 3 items on his checklist, and give up the other two souls without any compunction.

factotum
2009-04-04, 02:13 PM
For all we know Cloister has worn off by now and so he could scry for Haley anyway...it's just he hasn't bothered trying because he's failed so many times he thinks it's pointless.

NerfTW
2009-04-04, 05:43 PM

Well, it's good to know you find suspense to be "sub par". Do you read the last chapter of a book first as well?

We don't know what "Everything" entails. It could just be scrying for Haley. It could be finding Haley, then going after Xykon alone. It could be scrying inside the rift to find more information on the Snarl. It could be trying to establish a new world order for all we know.

That's suspense. It's what makes a plot good, as opposed to "And then he did this, then this, then that, and always followed a clearly predictable pattern."

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-04-04, 07:03 PM
Well, the newest comic answers that question.

Silverraptor
2009-04-04, 11:45 PM
Can V scry Haley now?

Of course! But what's the point?