PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Want to play a beguiler (race from SS) who specializes in electric spells.

newbDM
2009-04-03, 08:06 PM
Shining South has a cute little race of creatures known as beguilers (see spoiler box below), and I have been wanting to play one who specializes in electricity spells for over a year now.

What class would be good for this?

I believe I remember hearing that there are sorcerers who specialize in one form of energy type, but not being a magic fan I am not sure if that is true. If it is, can anyone please direct me to the relevant sources?

Beguiler art:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/Celestialdragon100/84366.jpg

Keld Denar
2009-04-03, 08:09 PM
I see what you are doing there...

No...just no....

Studoku
2009-04-03, 08:09 PM
Because someone's going to, I suggest playing as a beguiler beguiler.

Ok, just figured it out.

BobVosh
2009-04-03, 08:10 PM
Don't forget something that turns you yellow

Salt_Crow
2009-04-03, 08:13 PM
Whatever you do, don't go anywhere near this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#thunderstone) before you got all your desired abilities in place :)

RTGoodman
2009-04-03, 10:02 PM
Hmm... I'm not that familiar with the class, but I think you could probably go with a Dragonfire Adept who focuses on electricity invocations. If not, maybe just a straight-up Warlock, but with Eldritch Blast refluffed as lightning.

Khatoblepas
2009-04-03, 10:17 PM
This build assumes all sources available, and that armor proficiencies are granted as feats (as stated in their descriptions).

TN Beguiler Archivist 5/Stormcaster 8/Stormlord 7

Embrace/Shun Armor Proficiency (Light) ) Endurance
Embrace/Shun Armor Proficiency (Medium) Great Fortitude
1) Eschew Materials
Flaw: Noncombatant) Snowcasting
Flaw: Murky Eyed) Flash Frost
3) Energy Substitution (Electricity)
6) Born of Three Thunders
9) Weapon Focus (Javelin)
12) Cold Focus
15) Greater Cold Focus
18) *free*

Every Electricity Descriptor spell now has:
- The [Cold] Descriptor (If you can Energy Sub. it, then you can apply it again - Eschew Materials takes care of the snow component)
- +2 DC due to Cold Focus
- Half of all Electricity damage is Sonic damage, and has +spell level Sonic damage.
- Enemies must Fort Save vs. Stun TWICE, and Ref save vs. being knocked prone. (You'll be dazed if you use Born of Three Thunders? Not if you cast Favor of the Martyr, which is on your spell list)

Which is, well, every spell you cast. If you find some way of making Flash Frost a +0 metamagic feat, then every spell you cast can get the above, with the Electricity descriptor. And you're an archivist, so you can cast all kinds of cool divine air and electricity spells.

That, and if you shape the battlefield with a spell that summons a storm or winds, you're golden as you can fly without casting spells, protect your party, and hindrance your enemies, and that's always a plus. Probably not the most optimised of builds, but I'd find it fun. If you want something else other than Stormlord, you need less cheese.

Glimbur
2009-04-03, 10:21 PM
Warmage is a decent base class for blasting; if you don't mind being sub-par. I'm sure they get plenty of electricity spells, and you can Energy Substitute[feat] if you have to.

The class you want, though, is the PrC Elemental Savant from Complete Arcane. You could probably take a warmage into it, if they get know:arcane in class. Or take a sorc in. 8/10 casting hurts, and there are stronger choices than it as a PrC, but it is electricity.

Frosty
2009-04-03, 10:30 PM
Whatever you do, don't go anywhere near this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#thunderstone) before you got all your desired abilities in place :)

Will that item somehow Baleful Polymorth the Beguiler into a Rai-guiler?

The Glyphstone
2009-04-03, 11:45 PM
Electic variant Pyrokineticist for a Prc for certain. Electrical ranged touches at will, electrified melee attacks...its perfect.

Jack_Simth
2009-04-03, 11:51 PM
Not by default, although it might inspire the DM to throw stones of this own.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-04-04, 01:41 PM
I've been thinking about putting together a fun encounter with a Shocker Lizard re-fluffed and enhanced to simulate what you're doing here. This sounds better though. where is that race from?

-JM

Tempest Fennac
2009-04-04, 02:09 PM
Beguilers look really cute. I'm curious about their stats as well. Regarding the question, would Psion focusing on electricity blasting Powers work here?

Deth Muncher
2009-04-04, 02:12 PM
You should get your DM to approve the Portable Hole Full of Beer PrC that has to do with being a "trainer" of this kind of nonsense.

Frosty
2009-04-22, 02:37 AM
You should get your DM to approve the Portable Hole Full of Beer PrC that has to do with being a "trainer" of this kind of nonsense.

To be honest, I think the Portable Hole Full of Beer needs to be brought into reality and fed to the GM before he'd allow this to happen.

newbDM
2009-04-22, 06:05 AM
I see what you are doing there...

No...just no....

Because someone's going to, I suggest playing as a beguiler beguiler.

Ok, just figured it out.

http://forums.gleemax.com/images/smilies/roflmao.gif

Warmage is a decent base class for blasting; if you don't mind being sub-par. I'm sure they get plenty of electricity spells, and you can Energy Substitute[feat] if you have to.

The class you want, though, is the PrC Elemental Savant from Complete Arcane. You could probably take a warmage into it, if they get know:arcane in class. Or take a sorc in. 8/10 casting hurts, and there are stronger choices than it as a PrC, but it is electricity.

Thank you!

These might just do the trick. :smallbiggrin:

Don't forget something that turns you yellow

Isn't it already yellow?

Awesome. I am ashamed that I had not made that connection myself.

p.s. Would it be too much to have the character only eb able to say "Beguiler!". Perhaps it can be worked into a flaw?

Tempest Fennac
2009-04-22, 06:34 AM
That would be too much. What are the stats for this race?

Kaiyanwang
2009-04-22, 08:05 AM
p.s. Would it be too much to have the character only eb able to say "Beguiler!". Perhaps it can be worked into a flaw?

If the creature has his own language, rule that his language works that way.

I.e, he can say everything changing the way he says "beguiler".

Who knows the language is able to understand him.. or you can understand anyway something with a Sense Motive CD 10, 15 or 20.

Paramour Pink
2009-04-22, 08:16 AM
I love this. :smallbiggrin:

And I think you could get away with the saying your name repeatidly thing. Remember the Bluff skill can be used to send people messages. Get a high Bluff check so that everyone understands your complex or simple messages, even if you only ever say one thing again and again. Or, you can just say a sentence, and throw in your own particular suffix and/or prefix. It worked for the Moogles, kupo. :smallredface: