PDA

View Full Version : RL and d&d

weenie
2009-04-03, 08:33 PM
I didn't know where else to start this thread, so here it goes:

Today I had the most d&d-like real life experience of my life. When me and a friend left a bar and were walking towards my friend's car, some guy approached us with an unusual request. He asked us if we were willing to fight him. Of course our reaction was "ummm,what?" so he explained that he wanted a fight and if we managed to beat him he'd give us 140 euros. At this point it all started to look like a joke, but then the guy(never seen him before) took of his shirt, put it on the ground and took out his wallet. He then took some cash out and counted it(it really was 140e) and put the money on his shirt. At this point we weren't so sure about what was going on anymore.. There were some other people nearby, but judging from their expression they also had no connection whatsoever with the guy. Now, I'm not very big myself, and my friend is barely 4cm(2 inc or something like that) higher than me, but were still higher than him, and we had 10kg each on him, so we could have taken him on easily(oh yeah, he also said I could use the beer bottle I was carrying if I wanted). I've done strange things in my time, but beating up a guy for money is still something I'd rather not be part of, so we just left, but as we got to the car it suddenly came to me. This was a CR appropriate random encounter! The odds were strongly in my party's favour, there was loot involved, and it sure as hell was random! So... do you guys(and gals) think I'm being DM'd? :eek:

kpenguin
2009-04-03, 08:34 PM
Depends.

Was there a mysteriously dressed person in the bar who kept wanting to talk to you?

arguskos
2009-04-03, 08:38 PM
...you... dude.... money for beatings.... WHAT?!?

Some guy seriously just walked up, and offered you 140 euros to beat his ass? That's.... sorta crazy. o.O I think that your DM is tired of you just fiddling about town and wants you to bite on some plot hooks. :smallwink:

CrimsonAngel
2009-04-03, 08:51 PM
Whas there a voice narrating your every move?

weenie
2009-04-03, 08:58 PM
I hope my DM takes "my character doesn't want to have fights with strangers, no matter what the probability of success and what we get to loot is" as a feasible explanation, or at least that the guy who plays me decides to pay for the pizza.. :smallsmile:

Also, guy who is playing me, if by chance you are reading this, I like being academically successful and all, but would a cloak of charisma really be that out of character?

CrimsonAngel
2009-04-03, 09:00 PM
I hope my DM takes "my character doesn't want to have fights with strangers, no matter what the probability of success and what we get to loot is" as a feasible explanation, or at least that the guy who plays me decides to pay for the pizza.. :smallsmile:

Also, guy who is playing me, if by chance you are reading this, I like being academically successful and all, but would a cloak of charisma really be that out of character?

If a dude is playing you than he already knows your posting that... and he knows you know the DM knows you know that your player knows what you do.

Fostire
2009-04-03, 09:10 PM
When me and a friend left a bar and were walking towards my friend's car, some guy approached us with an unusual request. He asked us if we were willing to fight him.

The first thing I thought when I read that was Fight Club.

GoC
2009-04-03, 09:32 PM
Wow.
You're lucky.
I wish my life had a decent DM.:smallannoyed:

SurlySeraph
2009-04-03, 09:38 PM
Now, I'm not very big myself, and my friend is barely 4cm(2 inc or something like that) higher than me, but were still higher than him, and we had 10kg each on him, so we could have taken him on easily(oh yeah, he also said I could use the beer bottle I was carrying if I wanted).

What?! Either this guy wanted to get himself injured, he's insanely overconfident, or he's an extremely good fighter who felt like testing himself. I'm leaning pretty strongly toward the second possibility. I mean, what kind of person, fighting against two people who are both larger than him, still wants them to use a weapon on him? Me, I would have gone for the XP, but... what a nut. Are you sure you didn't just miss a plot hook? If you see someone like him again, you'll know the DM is railroading.

Ascension
2009-04-03, 09:39 PM
The first thing I thought when I read that was Fight Club.

Me too. Did the guy look like Brad Pitt and/or Ed Norton?

arguskos
2009-04-03, 09:40 PM
Actually, truth be told, it feels like it might have been a scam of some kind.

Step 1: Challenge some folks to a fight, offer money if they beat you.
Step 2: Lose the fight.
Step 3: Sue them, claiming it "went too far" or whatever.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit!!

Probably for the best you didn't fight him. :smallwink:

Squidmaster
2009-04-04, 02:11 AM
you should have dropped hime down an elevator shaft.:smallsmile:

.rr.

Seffbasilisk
2009-04-04, 02:19 AM
I wish I had your problems...

Ichneumon
2009-04-04, 02:23 AM
you should have dropped hime down an elevator shaft.:smallsmile:

.rr.

I see the reference.

Nostalgia.

Seffbasilisk
2009-04-04, 02:36 AM
Could also be a reference to the Watchmen movie.

X2
2009-04-04, 02:40 AM
If I had a DM it would explain the constant obstacles I have to jump over everyday!

As soon as one is done another one shows and it makes you want to scream.

Comet
2009-04-04, 06:43 AM
I bet the guy had about fifteen friends waiting just behind the corner, ready to jump yo ass as soon as the first punch was thrown. Then they would take your money and laugh.

It's a TRAP!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-04-04, 06:51 AM
My DM is a killer DM.