PDA

View Full Version : Wild Dog Barbarian Totem variant

Zed's Dead
2009-04-03, 10:17 PM
I've always wanted to take the "savage barbarian" idea as far as possible. Basically, a caveman whose loyalty to his tribe, or "pack," was the very reason for his rage. Canines like Wild African dogs, dingoes, Jackyls, feral dogs, and hyenas have always fascinated me. They hunt in packs, protect each other, and basically thrive in some of the world's harshest environments.

I imagined a barbarian variant that was radically different than the the other totem barbarian templates. Something that created a truly unique feel. This goes beyond the usual totem variants, as you find in UA. Class skills and Rage is also modified. I'd appreciate any input.

Wild Dog Totem Barbarian

Those who have taken the Wild Dog as their totem reflect the most savage aspects of nature. Their fighting styles are those of a wild animal. They gain simple weapon proficiency. They do not gain martial weapon proficiency or any armor or shield proficiency. Instead, they gain the following class abilities:

AC Bonus: When unarmored and unencumbered, the Wild Dog Totem barbarian adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC. In addition, a Wild Dog Totem barbarian gains a +1 natural armor bonus to AC at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four Wild Dog Totem barbarian levels thereafter (+2 at 8th, +3 at 12th, +4 at 16th, and +5 at 20th level).

Bite Attack: A wild Dog Totem barbarian may make a bite attack, dealing piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage (1d4x2 for a medium creature).

Wild Dog Totem barbarians also do not gain the uncanny dodge, trap sense, or improved uncanny dodge class features. They instead gain the following abilities:

At 1st level, a Wild Dog Totem barbarian's keen hearing gives him a +2 bonus on listen checks.

At 2nd level, a Wild Dog Totem barbarian gains the Track feat as a bonus feat

At 5th level, a Wild Dog Totem barbarian gains the Scent ability.

Further, the Wild Dog totem barbarian's class skill list is modified. Climb, Handle Animal, and Ride are eliminated from his list of class skills. Spot and Knowledge (nature) are added to his list of class skills.

Finally, the Wild Dog totem barbarian does not gain the standard barbarian rage ability. Instead, he gains the Pack Rage ability:
When a Wild Dog barbarian or one of his allies is injured in combat, the sight and smell of blood causes the Wild Dog barbarian to fly into a Pack Rage at the beginning of his next turn. The rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 5+ his constitution bonus. He cannot voluntarily end his rage. His rage ends only when the time limit is met, his enemies are dead, or he is unconscious, dying, or dead. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (–2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level barbarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

He temporarily gains a +4 bonus to strength and a -2 penalty to AC. When flanking an enemy during a Pack Rage, the attack bonus he receives is improved from the usual +2 to +4. When flanking an enemy, a Wild Dog totem barbarian may also make one extra attack per round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the barbarian might make before his next action. At 11th level (when a standard barbarian gains greater rage), the Strength bonus increases to +6. At 20th level (when a standard barbarian gains mighty rage), the Strength bonus increases to +8.
A character can't use pack rage at the same time that he uses any other form of rage (or similar ability).
A barbarian using this variant doesn't gain any bonus to constitution or saving throws, including indomitable will at 14th level.
A barbarian using this variant still gains illiteracy, damage reduction, tireless rage, and the ability to rage more times per day as he progresses, just as a standard barbarian would.

Ponce
2009-04-11, 02:09 PM
I like the alternative features in general, not sure about the rage bit. Him or any of his allies taking damage invokes it? That means it will happen pretty much all the time. Not as bad as the Frenzied Berserker because you don't attack allies, but worse in the sense that any of the party getting hurt means you fly into the rage, and you don't get a will save to prevent it. Being able to save your rages for appropriate battles is very important. I would stick with standard rage.

Baron Corm
2009-04-12, 03:05 PM
If you're going to replace all of the class features, why not just make a new base class? Also, why do they lose Handle Animal and Ride? I would figure that they would possibly travel with dog companions, or at least be adept at empathizing with dogs.

chiasaur11
2009-04-12, 03:18 PM
Needs a hockey mask, and possibly a ton of high powered range weapons.

Tempest Fennac
2009-04-13, 01:36 AM
I'd be tempted to just replace the uncanny dodge, trap sense, or improved uncanny dodge class features with the ones you suggested (Moon-Warded Rangers* get to add their Wis bonus to AC with armour, so they are better then this variant in that respect, and I'm not sure about the bite attak being worthwhile).

* See page 99 of http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf for more information.